Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I did - until I needed a laptop for specific Excel data add-ons for my MBA program.

Otherwise, anything I need to do on a laptop, I could do on an iPad. I did still keep a desktop around, mainly to serve as a media hub for my house.

Reactions: Bea220

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
I replaced my laptop with an iPad. I have a desktop for things that I prefer not to do on the iPad.

In my opinion a tablet can't replace a notebook!

That's a pretty odd opinion in a thread where multiple people have said that they already have! :D

Trickhot3102

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2013
Yes sir I have! I have a HP laptop that I never use now that I got my iPad mini 2! The iPad is awesome! I haven't touched my laptop since i got the iPad! My iPad preforms better, is actually faster at daily tasks and it's alot more user friendly ;) I don't know if everyone could replace their laptops with iPads, but if your just doing everyday stuff like Facebook, YouTube and reading, an iPad can totally replace your laptop. :D

matraco

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2014
It is replacing my laptop for almost everything. Desktop + ipad is the way to go for me at the moment.

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
I still have a laptop, and an old iMac, and still use both. But I use iPads more than anything.

I have two, and when I am writing on one I use the other for internet things or to look my notes and research, which gets around the multitasking deficiency of IOS.

But I use my iPads for so many things, I love the convenience, portability, and not having to sit all the time.

They have changed the way I work and increased my productivity.

When i want to rest my long-abused writer's back from sitting, I can do browsing, research, review writing i did in the morning or watch a movie or read a book and so on, laying down, on my side, with iPad on a hoverbar. I couldn't do this with a laptop.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
iPad can't replace a real computer. They are too restricted in what you can do.

Sure, for people who just web browse and check email and twitter an iPad is perfect. But if you do anything beyond that, you will find yourself frustrated. Laptops have far more CPU and storage capacity, and you can store any data you like and manage it however you want.

Right now on my iMac I have six browser tabs open, twitter, Telegram (IM) Email, music going, and seven SSH sessions across two screens. Sure, I technically *can* do that on an iPad if I really wanted to, but I'm not a masochist! :)

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
iPad can't replace a real computer. They are too restricted in what you can do.

Sure, for people who just web browse and check email and twitter an iPad is perfect. But if you do anything beyond that, you will find yourself frustrated. Laptops have far more CPU and storage capacity, and you can store any data you like and manage it however you want.

Right now on my iMac I have six browser tabs open, twitter, Telegram (IM) Email, music going, and seven SSH sessions across two screens. Sure, I technically *can* do that on an iPad if I really wanted to, but I'm not a masochist! :)

Not totally true, IMO. I used to think that but after actually working with some documents and all that on the iPad i find it quite pleasing for moderate productivity tasks. Sure, there are still things I refer to the laptop for but I'd say I'm at the point where I'm 80/20 ipad usage versus laptop usage.

Everyone is different of course. However, the iPad can do much more than just consume web content or check email. :)

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
I've said this on several other threads like this, where people who don't use an iPad for anything other than entertainment and most basic functions dismiss it as being incapable of any serious creative or professional work because they don't use it that way.

There are a lot people using ipads as professional tools. Unfortunately not many of them visit this forum.

Mliii

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2006
Southern California
I've said this on several other threads like this, where people who don't use an iPad for anything other than entertainment and most basic functions dismiss it as being incapable of any serious creative or professional work because they don't use it that way.

There are a lot people using ipads as professional tools. Unfortunately not many of them visit this forum.

I couldn't have said it better!
It really depends on what you use a computer for.
I write. And I teach.
I find using my iPad is easier than using a laptop.
When I interview someone, the iPad breaks down some of the barriers that can exist between me and the interviewee when I use a laptop. (interestingly, lots of people want to see the iPad actually being used, so that often breaks the ice when the subjects we are discussing are a bit tricky)
I have a standalone, blue tooth keyboard for when I need to write long documents.
I use a stylus for jotting quick notes. I can also digitize and mark up PDF documents.
All of that is real work.
I don't do spreadsheets. I don't do engineering quality math.
For those things and other similar endeavors, a laptop is probably a better option.
But beware of those who dismiss an iPad as a mere 'toy', or just a consumption device simply because it doesn't do what THEY need. That's valid for them. But not for everyone.

Reactions: Guppy Guy

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I won't use the word "replaced", but there are certain tasks I now prefer to do on my iPad compared to my MBA or iMac simply because the process feels more seamless on a tablet. :)

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY

Yes. This. As I said, I find myself more and more using my iPad for tasks that are clearly productive oriented and not consumption or entertainment based. Little things here and there that used to do with the laptop I am now doing with the ipad. I will as it that even though you CAN do certain things with the iPad doesn't mean you'd want to. Heavy spreadsheet editing and things like that are better served with the trusty laptop.

It's still amazing though what can be accomplished with a tablet.

Mattym62

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2003
Palm Beach, FL
For college I still prefer to use my MacBook Pro 13" ... When i'm writing term papers, and have about 20 open windows and need to flip back and forth, I definitely find that it is easier to use my laptop. I do sometimes use my iPad simultaneously to research, but at the end of the day, I don't think that we are 100% at the point of replacement. I think that we are getting closer though, so maybe with this "iPad Pro" everybody is talking about, it will finally provide for a laptop replacement.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2013
I have a MacBook Air, iPad Air 2, and a 6 Plus. With the new handoff/continuity features, I find that all three are more productive together. I do also have a Lenovo laptop that never leaves my house because it's massive, and I use that for more processor intensive activities. But for the most part, the Apple products working together take care of the vast majority of my needs.

what do you use the MacBook air for and what do you use the iPad air 2 for?

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
Macbook Air: Work, taking notes at school/writing papers, managing iTunes/music
iPad 2: Readings for school, browsing the web, mobile gaming, I may start school papers on there and hand them off to my Macbook to finish/continue

Billy95Tech

Suspended
Apr 18, 2014
Even the surface pro 3 can't fully replace your laptop...

Surface Pro 3(and other Windows 8 tablets) and any tablet(Android/Ipad) can replace your laptop!

As i said many times before they are definitely capable of doing very demanding tasks like video editing.

There are lots of people replaced there desktops/laptops with a tablet for personal use and business/productivity use and they are way more portable than laptops and getting way more powerful and there are lots of people have replaced there laptops with tablets and even in work places!

I have completely replaced/ditched my laptop with tablets a powerful 11.6 inch Windows 8 tablet Acer Iconia W700(I5 Core) and a high end Android tablet Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 and it is great! :D

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
I have had my iPad 3 stuck with a black screen and the only way to get it to reboot was with iTunes. When I did the last update on my old 4S (I keep it around for Airmusic/Airfoil) it locked up. I had to plug it into a computer to restore it.

I could replace a laptop with it if I had a Desktop computer, but I will always want another computer in the house for the reasons above and other reasons (photos, iTunes, security cameras, etc.) that probably don't apply to your situation.

nrose101

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2011
Not so fast everyone

If you are a software developer, need bash shell, database connections, and programming languages you will never switch to an iPad. Honestly my ipad sits in the corner unless my kids use it on vacation to watch movies. Laptop 95% for me!

ggibson913

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2006
Not quite yet. I still need a Mac to access my Hard Drives on which I store photos, movies and music. That is about it though, honestly my computing needs at this point could likely be handled by a Mac Mini.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
No way could an iPad ever replace my laptop for what I do. But a Surface Pro 3 sure could. That thing is very well made and is actually a full blown machine. I don't think we're too far from the day when there will be an Apple equivalent. Microsoft is ahead of the game on this one, but certainly something similar to the SP3 is the trend of the future, just perhaps more streamlined.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
well at the moment my ipad air 2 is my main computer as my laptop is on it's death bed, it's still usable but I'd rather not as it's mpre hassle than it's worth. It will do for the next few weeks but at the end of the month I'll be buying a new laptop. To be honest I can do 95 % of my computing needs on my ipad. I just like to have a laptop just in case I need it.

Mivo

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2015
Germany
I could do a fair portion of my work on the iPad (with a BT keyboard), as much of it is text-based, but without being able to have multiple apps displayed simultaneously (e.g. a text processor and Skype), it would be a little cumbersome and just not ergonomic. I also find the screen too small, but I'm used to 17" and that had seemed cramped at first too when I down-sized from a widescreen monitor.

For some of the hobby stuff, like making electronic music, I also need more CPU power than the iPad Air 2 currently offers, though I've started to slowly switch to dedicated music hardware (hardware synthesizers, drum machine, etc), which would be a great setup with the iPad as the heart.

The iPad doesn't have enough connectivity, though I guess I could work around that by throwing money at the problem (swap external USB drives for those with wifi connection, for example). Finally the software of the company I work for doesn't have an iOS version yet (being worked on).

So it's almost possible for me, but it would be somewhat inconvenient and inefficient, at least currently. The advantage would be that it fits better with a more minimalist lifestyle (less clutter) and quite possibly cut down on distractions.

iPadDad

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2014
For some of the hobby stuff, like making electronic music, I also need more CPU power than the iPad Air 2 currently offers, though I've started to slowly switch to dedicated music hardware (hardware synthesizers, drum machine, etc), .

You need more CPU power? The iPad Air 2 is as powerful as a 2014 MacBook Air! I have seen benchmarks were it actually beats the 2014 MacBook Air,

Mivo

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2015
Germany
You need more CPU power? The iPad Air 2 is as powerful as a 2014 MacBook Air! I have seen benchmarks were it actually beats the 2014 MacBook Air,

Even if the iPad could use VSTs and VSTis, or AUs, no, it would not be sufficient. There are some software synthesizers (like Diva) where my i7 laptop (with 16 GB of RAM) starts choking. Creating electronic music is a relative niche thing, though, but the one area where I need horsepower. (A MB Air would not be sufficient, either.)

Wbutchart

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2013
I replaced my lap top with the iPad a few years ago.

Wrote my dissertation in my iPad mini 2, continue to use it as sole device as I pastor a church, produce documents (mostly pages) write sermons (mostly notebooks 7) scribble notes on agendas (notability), do in depth bible research (accordance). There are a lot of other apps I use as well, but the iPad does great for content creation and research. The apps are there and often better than laptop ones I have found too. Only frustration can be lack of duel screen for having two apps open at the same time but I work round it easy enough.

I find it sad really that so few use their devices for more than Facebook and Netflix, so much more potential, so much work in those apps from developers and people can't see beyond tweeting and posting statuses.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.