Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

chmania

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2023
What makes you assume I'd want to run Linux on my iPad? I've never wanted to run Linux on any device I've had, be it PC or Mac. Mac OS, iPad OS, and Windows have always filled all my needs.
I'm not saying you need to run Linux on your devices. All this talk about iPad, iPad ... makes me long for Linux again. I can install Linux on practically any "Windows" laptop, 2 in 1 or tablet. Even being Unix machines, neither a MacBook, nor an iPad can run Linux, which is a pity, and also says something about those devices.

bondr006

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2010
Cary, NC - My Name is Rob Bond
I'm not saying you need to run Linux on your devices. All this talk about iPad, iPad ... makes me long for Linux again. I can install Linux on practically any "Windows" laptop, 2 in 1 or tablet. Even being Unix machines, neither a MacBook, nor an i\pad can run Linux, which is a pity, and also says something about those devices.
What? That nobody wants to run Linux on them.
giggle.gif

bondr006

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2010
Sure, you don't have the choice. ;)
We always have choices bud, but not all choices are useful. What is your fascination with Linux anyway? It doesn't run most of the programs I use. I don't need a time waster to play with, I need productivity. Also don't have use for alternative apps. Linux doesn't run MS Office, but Mac OS, Windows, and iPad OS do. Linux doesn't run Photoshop, but Mac OS, Windows, and iPad OS do.

Let's list some more that Linux doesn't run, but Mac and iPad OS do.

Logic Pro
Procreate
Affinity Photo
Lightroom
Notability
GoodNotes
PDF Expert

Last edited:

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Just for fun, I booted up my Windows (mobile platform) Medion touch screen 2 in 1. It is also manufactured in 2019. It is running on Intel Pentium N5000. It shouldn't officially run Windows 11, but does so anyway. It got updated a few hours ago to the latest. Strange enough, it too has 100% battery health. There had been months, when this 2 in 1 was used daily 8-10 hours. Here's the battery report, today at 19:54

View attachment 2366191
Medion is German Technology. It had been running for more than 4 hours on battery and has another 5 hours to go. Mind you, it is running full Windows 11, which is a heavy OS, and MS Edge atm. I'll be running full Ubuntu and a few other Linuxes through a USB stick, then install one or two of them and multi-boot. Well, your iPad cannot do that, neither can any M chip Macs.

I am also looking at Dell Windows tablets, to buy one and put some Linuxes in it, and multi-boot. That's US technology. Then, there's Chinese technology, Lenovo and Huawei. I'll keep the MacBook too. Best keep an oopen mind! :)
The battery report means nothing. That's what the BMS is telling Windows. But the BMS can tell any kind of BS. Some Chinese BMS are made to tell that the battery is always at 100% capacity, even when it last 30 seconds.

Reactions: bondr006

chmania

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2023
Millions of people run iPads and Android devices that are out of support with no issue. With some basic common sense you can use this hardware for years after end of support (especially Android where compatibility with apps lasts longer), instead of just supporting the planned obsolescence manufacturers would like you to embrace.
Profit-comes-first companies don't give much choice for their device users -- they are put in a mental prison. All companies are there for profit, but some are there only for profit. Those companies deliberately obsolete their own products by blocking certain parts of the OS. The users with the mental-prisoner attitude would fight to death for those companies. If they at least have a look at Elementary OS or Deepin OS, they'd find out how a dock should actually work.

Since yesterday, I've been using my Intel N5000 Medion 2 in 1 with the heavy Windows 11, while my MBP is resting. Widows 11 shouldn't run in that 2 in 1, but it does, and gets updates. Even got something from Apple Inc.
Screenshot 2024-04-07 143354.png

And, this is not a laptop, but a tablet with a keyboard. I'll be checking Deepin, Ubuntu, Elementary OS, KDE Neon and so on. I have the devices and the choice, for the devices and for the OSs. The I-am-only-an-iPad guy doesn't have a choice, never had. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK
Not exactly, but

"iPad as a laptop replacement"​

which it certainly can't, as it doesn't run macOS, the Apple's one and only desktop OS. :)
You're taking a very closed-minded approach. The simple fact is that for millions of people, including many on this thread, the existence of the iPad negates the need for a laptop, so saying that "it certainly can't" might be true for you but is just factually incorrect as a blanket statement.

bondr006

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2010
After buying and trying out several Bluetooth keyboards in the past month, I finally settled with the stand alone Magic Bluetooth keyboard for on the go and MX Keys S in bed. Kinda wished I just got this at the get go, would have saved me a lot of time from trying so many other keyboards. The Magic Keyboard not being backlit was a big bummer but the trade off is much longer battery life and can go a month in between charges. It will be used in the day time anyways in daylight so its not an issue. Amazes me that this keyboard weighs less than the Combo Touch keyboard.

This with my iPad Pro 11 in its combo touch case, it’s ultimate for portability. Even have a Logitech Anywhere MX2 mouse that’s in my ipad pouch. This Magic Keyboard feels no different than the keyboards on the current M3 MacBook Air.

Thank god I no longer have to use the atrocious keyboard on the combo touch. It’s amazing what adding an extra 3” of width onto a keyboard does for typing feel and comfort. Logitech should have a SKU for the Combo Touch, case only. People like me only want the case portion mainly for the kickstand feature. And I’ve looked at a ton of current ipad cases out there and no one offers one with a built in kickstand like the Combo Touch does. Combo Touch is by far the sleekest kickstand case for the ipad.

And the best part of it all is the Combo Touch and the Apple Magic Bluetooth keyboard, still costed me quite a bit less than the IPad Magic Keyboard lol. And I like not having to attach and reattach the keyboard all the time and wearing out the magnets and risk ripping the material over time.
Here are some more setups that I've used with my iPad for mobile. There are so many potential setups for this flexible device.

IMG_8155.jpg
IMG_8163.jpg

IMG_8160.jpg
IMG_8167.jpg

chmania

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2023
You're taking a very closed-minded approach. The simple fact is that for millions of people, including many on this thread, the existence of the iPad negates the need for a laptop, so saying that "it certainly can't" might be true for you but is just factually incorrect as a blanket statement.
If you had said iPhone, or any mobile phone negates the need of a laptop, then you'd be right. Everyone around is always looking at a phone on the move, meaning mobile, or even when sitting or lying down. People never take their eyes off their mobile phones!

Rarely someone is carrying a hefty tablet around, or use that as a real desktop computer, if at all, those who have 2 in 1 devices with Windows (and Linux) - full scale desktop experience.

I have an MBP, which once was a high-end Apple product, so I know the difference. With an iPad, you can have ipadOS experience, and that too with an external hub. :)

• Haha

bondr006

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2010
Untitled-1.png
I just watched all the petty annoyances magically disappear off my screen. Something I can do with my iPhone, iPad Pro, Mac Mini, kitchen Chromebook, and wife's or son's Win laptop....all equally capable of the task.;)

Last edited:

Boil

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2018
Stargate Command
Not exactly, but

"iPad as a laptop replacement"​

which it certainly can't, as it doesn't run macOS, the Apple's one and only desktop OS. :)

Chromebook is a laptop, an iPad Pro in a Logitech Combo Touch keyboard folio seems a pretty good replacement for such a laptop, with the added benefit of a touch screen and Apple Pencil support...

And yes, the title of the thread is "iPad as a laptop replacement"; which mentions nothing about macOS...

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Chromebook is a laptop, an iPad Pro in a Logitech Combo Touch keyboard folio seems a pretty good replacement for such a laptop, with the added benefit of a touch screen and Apple Pencil support...

And yes, the title of the thread is "iPad as a laptop replacement"; which mentions nothing about macOS...

Exactly. And it's not about making the iPad your only device or replacing your desktop (if you have one) - it's about replacing a laptop. For my uses, it likely could for what I use my laptop for. I still need my desktop.

Boil

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2018
Stargate Command
If Blizzard/Activision would port World of Warcraft to iPadOS, I would have no need for macOS or Windows at all; I would get a console for playing the few AAA titles I do (looking at you GTA franchise) and make an iPad Pro (in a Logitech Combo Touch keyboard folio) my main computer...

As it is now, my main computer is:
  • Lian-Li TU150 chassis
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Impact miniDTX mobo
  • AMD Ryzen 3900X CPU (12-core / 24-thread)
  • 32GB DDR4 RAM (G.Skill Trident NeoZ)
  • 1TB Sabrent NVMe SSD (PCIe x4 Gen4)
  • Zotac RTX 2070 GPU
  • Corsair SF750 SFX PSU (750W / Platinum-rated)
  • Noctua NH-U12A Heat Sink
  • (3) Noctua NF-A12x25 Fans
  • Windows 10 Home
Looking to replace it with a Mac mini (the PC makes my room about 5 degrees or so hotter than the rest of the house just at idle); but if I could replace it with an iPad Pro and a game console that, for me, would be ideal...

DeepSix

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2022
Here are some more setups that I've used with my iPad for mobile. There are so many potential setups for this flexible device.

View attachment 2366418 View attachment 2366420
View attachment 2366419 View attachment 2366421

How did you like the Wedge keyboard? I did consider it but it’s not sold locally here, nor is it on Amazon.ca. I used to have that same Magic Bluetooth keyboard, way back in 2013 when I had a MacBook. I really liked it, awesome feedback on the keys and loved the AA battery use, so it would essentially last forever as long as you keep replacing the cheap AA batteries. But it was a bit heavy with it being metal. The V2 is so light, weighs nothing. Yes it’s noticeably lighter than even the Combo Touch keyboard and it feels way better for key feedback and feel. I put my Combo Touch keyboard in the closet for when I resale the ipad years down the road.

bondr006

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2010
How did you like the Wedge keyboard? I did consider it but it’s not sold locally here, nor is it on Amazon.ca. I used to have that same Magic Bluetooth keyboard, way back in 2013 when I had a MacBook. I really liked it, awesome feedback on the keys and loved the AA battery use, so it would essentially last forever as long as you keep replacing the cheap AA batteries. But it was a bit heavy with it being metal. The V2 is so light, weighs nothing. Yes it’s noticeably lighter than even the Combo Touch keyboard and it feels way better for key feedback and feel. I put my Combo Touch keyboard in the closet for when I resale the ipad years down the road.
I used to use it a lot back in the day. I got it along with the Logitech Ultra Thin Touch mouse back in Dec 2013 for my iPad Air 1st gen. It uses replaceable AAA batteries and is a great little keyboard. Amazingly, it still works and looks as good as the day I got it. I even have the original box and instructions it came in. It also has a nice clip-on soft rubber cover for the keyboard when traveling. I am guessing that they are hard to find nowadays.

The Magic Keyboard was purchased when I got my 2012 Mac Mini and 2012 MBP. You are right. It's a great little keyboard that also takes replaceable batteries. It also still works as good as the day I got it. I'm old school and like being able to replace batteries instead of having to pay someone to replace it when the lithium battery no longer holds a charge. Rechargeable is supposed to be convenient, but not to me when you can just replace the AA's whenever needed. To me, that's the ultimate convenience.

I love my Combo Touch. It's what I've used exclusively since I got my iPad Pro in Nov. 2021. The MKB just didn't click with me. I like the full row of function keys, the larger click anywhere trackpad, the ability to detach the keyboard and still have protection and a stand, and the rugged material it is made of. I have dropped my iPad Pro 3 times
Ouch4.png
on hardwood floors in the Combo Touch, and the iPad wasn't hurt at all. In fact, the Combo Touch took the falls like a champ also. Only a little scuff on the corner rubber part. These cases are like hats, ties, cars, and computers, in that they are all very personal and individual choices. The Magic Keyboard is definitely a nice addition to the iPad Pro, just not for me.

The original setups used with the Magic Keyboard. There is a 4th gen iPod Touch, and for on topic, the original iPad in the photos also....

My Desk 5-6-2012a.JPG
My Desk 7-10-2012.JPG

Last edited:

DeepSix

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2022
I used to use it a lot back in the day. I got it along with the Logitech Ultra Thin Touch mouse back in Dec 2013 for my iPad Air 1st gen. It uses replaceable AAA batteries and is a great little keyboard. Amazingly, it still works and looks as good as the day I got it. I even have the original box and instructions it came in. It also has a nice clip-on soft rubber cover for the keyboard when traveling. I am guessing that they are hard to find nowadays.

The Magic Keyboard was purchased when I got my 2012 Mac Mini and 2012 MBP. You are right. It's a great little keyboard that also takes replaceable batteries. It also still works as good as the day I got it. I'm old school and like being able to replace batteries instead of having to pay someone to replace it when the lithium battery no longer holds a charge. Rechargeable is supposed to be convenient, but not to me when you can just replace the AA's whenever needed. To me, that's the ultimate convenience.

I love my Combo Touch. It's what I've used exclusively since I got my iPad Pro in Nov. 2021. The MKB just didn't click with me. I like the full row of function keys, the larger click anywhere trackpad, the ability to detach the keyboard and still have protection and a stand, and the rugged material it is made of. I have dropped my iPad Pro 3 times View attachment 2366653 on hardwood floors in the Combo Touch, and the iPad wasn't hurt at all. In fact, the Combo Touch took the falls like a champ also. Only a little scuff on the corner rubber part. These cases are like hats, ties, cars, and computers, in that they are all very personal and individual choices. The Magic Keyboard is definitely a nice addition to the iPad Pro, just not for me.

The original setups used with the Magic Keyboard. There is a 4th gen iPod Touch, and for on topic, the original iPad in the photos also....

View attachment 2366657 View attachment 2366656

Is that the Apple magic trackpad? I did consider using that too on the go instead of my Anywhere MX2 mouse. But the overall size of it wouldn't work in my current ipad bag. And don't really want to have to get a larger ipad bag just for it.

Apple keyboards are built to last. My Magic Keyboard for desktop worked perfectly when I sold it 5 years after I bought it. The V2 versions, the size and weight is the big selling point. And I was surprised that the Combo Touch keyboard actually has noticably less key travel and also mushier keys with horrible feedback compared to the Apple V2 keyboard. I wish I got this V2 keyboard a lot sooner, though I still would have got the Combo Touch case just for the case portion.

Ya it was pricier at $300CAD for both but that's still 25% cheaper than the ipad magic keyboard lol.

chmania

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2023
iPadOS is a mobile operating system for tablet computers developed by Apple Inc. It was first released as a modification of iOS starting with version 13.1 on September 24, 2019.
As iPadOS has yet to grow up to iOS, one might as well use an iPhone for desktop environment connected to an external monitor through a hub.
Could be like DeX in Galaxy phones.

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
If Blizzard/Activision would port World of Warcraft to iPadOS, I would have no need for macOS or Windows at all; I would get a console for playing the few AAA titles I do (looking at you GTA franchise) and make an iPad Pro (in a Logitech Combo Touch keyboard folio) my main computer...

As it is now, my main computer is:
  • Lian-Li TU150 chassis
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Impact miniDTX mobo
  • AMD Ryzen 3900X CPU (12-core / 24-thread)
  • 32GB DDR4 RAM (G.Skill Trident NeoZ)
  • 1TB Sabrent NVMe SSD (PCIe x4 Gen4)
  • Zotac RTX 2070 GPU
  • Corsair SF750 SFX PSU (750W / Platinum-rated)
  • Noctua NH-U12A Heat Sink
  • (3) Noctua NF-A12x25 Fans
  • Windows 10 Home
Looking to replace it with a Mac mini (the PC makes my room about 5 degrees or so hotter than the rest of the house just at idle); but if I could replace it with an iPad Pro and a game console that, for me, would be ideal...

Rumor is, WOW is coming to Nvidia GeForce Now this year. Next Blizzard high profile title after Diablo IV. At least it'll be playable on iPadOS, but streaming at 4K [Ultimate tier].

Rodan52

macrumors 6502
There is, at least for me the one shortfall with a tablet, no Desktop and no Finder. That is, no temporary storage space to download to, to create new folders, to sort out screen shots ect, ect.
I only ever have two folders on my MBP Desktop but I daily use that space to organise the contents of multiple Finder windows, folders and apps. Without that "workspace" I find it very difficult to organise my data.

DeepSix

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2022
Yep. I don't have it anymore, but I do have the newest one to use with my iPad in desktop mode. Just seems natural to control a touch based device with a touch based device. I love my iPad Pro View attachment 2366765 , and like you, I use it every day for both work and personal use.

View attachment 2366764

Do you carry your magic trackpad around or do you leave it at the desk? I just wish it was cheaper. I think it would be great as a desk device but on the go, a mouse is still far more portable.

Last edited:

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
There is, at least for me the one shortfall with a tablet, no Desktop and no Finder. That is, no temporary storage space to download to, to create new folders, to sort out screen shots ect, ect.
I only ever have two folders on my MBP Desktop but I daily use that space to organise the contents of multiple Finder windows, folders and apps. Without that "workspace" I find it very difficult to organise my data.

Why not create a folder structure under Files (or some other file mgr app - I use Filebrowser Pro)?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.