Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

bcortens

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2007
Ontario Canada
Actually, you have both on the iPad. You have the Files App which is essentially Finder for your iPad. It has become pretty robust and feature packed since they first introduced it, albeit still not as many features as Finder....but getting there. You can create and set up as many folders and subfolders (photo's, documents, .pdf's, etc.) as you want in the Files app. After you have your file system set up the way you want you can create as many shortcuts to them as you want on the iPad home screen/desktop.

You can also save any file to the Files app directly from whatever app you created it in, just by clicking the Share button/Save to Files/Browse to Folder You Want to Save In.
My main issue with the Files app is that it has been buggy for me and that it is a cloud first system if you have iCloud Drive turned on. I hate waiting for the folder hierarchies to load, I hate waiting for the files to sync, I hate how sometimes an uploading iCloud file takes down the app that is trying to write new data to that file with auto-save.

Files just needs to have its bugs fixed and allow us to have an option to keep folders and files or the entire iCloud Drive stored on device. I do want it to sync, I don’t want it to sync in the middle of editing a file because that often breaks things, I don’t want it to be cloud first where it doesn’t keep the folder and file hierarchy cached on device if I haven’t visited a particular folder in too long a time.

chmania

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2023
iPadOS and iOS are touch first operating systems. MacOS is a windows based pointer first operating system. ... I don’t understand why someone would want to put MacOS on an iPad.
Have you seen full Windows on a tablet, working with or without a keyboard? Linux, a Unix OS, too can be installed on those tablets with full desktop experience. Dell, HP, Lenovo, Samsung, Medion, Cepter, Asus, Acer and hundreds other manufacturers produce such tablets everyday. So, the question is, why can't Apple make such a tablet/pad that will run the full macOS? Or, is it can't or won't? Apple's iOS on mobiles phones is understandable, but here nor there iPadOS is not.

bcortens

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2007
Ontario Canada
Just because something works doesnt mean it is the ideal interaction.

Have you seen full Windows on a tablet, working with or without a keyboard? Linux, a Unix OS, too can be installed on those tablets with full desktop experience. Dell, HP, Lenovo, Samsung, Medion, Cepter, Asus, Acer and hundreds other manufacturers produce such tablets everyday. So, the question is, why can't Apple make such a tablet/pad that will run the full macOS? Or, is it can't or won't? Apple's iOS on mobiles phones is understandable, but here nor there iPadOS is not.

many legacy windows apps suck on touch and the Mac has many legacy AppKit apps.

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
Yeah, I have seen these hybrids, and I have played with them at BB and other stores. For me, they suck. They are terrible tablets, and compromised laptops. Not good at anything. But, that's just me. Perhaps I am spoiled by using a buttery smooth OS on my Mac, and a touch first OS on my iPad. Hardware and software designed for each other.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Yeah, I have seen these hybrids, and I have played with them at BB and other stores. For me, they suck. They are terrible tablets, and compromised laptops. Not good at anything. But, that's just me. Perhaps I am spoiled by using a buttery smooth OS on my Mac, and a touch first OS on my iPad. Hardware and software designed for each other.
Just as a reminder (apparently I have to remind this regularly on this iPad forum) those who want MacOS instead of iPadOS on the iPad are such a tiny minority that you can probably count them on the fingers of a hand... The vast majority of those wanting MacOS want it as dual boot or virtualized, with the main OS remaining iPadOS. And they don't ask for any touch support, just to be used with the magic keyboard like a Mac, in order to have both systems in the same device.
But apparently the "MacOS makes no sense on iPad" people continually misunderstand that.

Mind you I don't care about MacOS if it cannot run Windows. So I personally don't care much about having MacOS on iPad (my desktop OS is Windows). But I can understand that some people do and it makes total sense. Not that Apple has any intention to do it.

• Love
Reactions: bondr006

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
We have one at the office.

I'd much rather use a proper laptop plus separate iPad versus those 2-in-1s.

Really agree with this. I bought the Surface Pro 7 really out of curiosity and while the i7 & 16GB makes for a nice laptop with the keyboard, I never use it as a tablet. My M1 12.9 blows it away from an overall experience perspective as a tablet. I also had a Dell XPS with touch display and off of these two experiences, I won't go down either path again.

Reactions: bcortens

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Really agree with this. I bought the Surface Pro 7 really out of curiosity and while the i7 & 16GB makes for a nice laptop with the keyboard, I never use it as a tablet. My M1 12.9 blows it away from an overall experience perspective as a tablet. I also had a Dell XPS with touch display and off of these two experiences, I won't go down either path again.
I think it's a question of "what's a tablet"....
I guess it's not the same thing to anyone. I have more tablets than probably anyone on Macrumors, I don't even dare to say how many (iPads, Android and Windows, of every size, from 7.9" to 15") but I don't use any of them as Steeve Jobs presented the iPad in 2010. And I never used any like that since 2012.
But I have a lot of uses for most of my tablets (they have replaced pen and paper for many of my activities, while allowing me to continue use the advatages of a pen, they have replaced my TV, they act as enhanced portable monitors, security cameras etc).

For me the main issue with Windows tablets is not Windows. It's x86. They have worse battery life and get warm or even hot because of that. And they tend to be heavier than mobile tablets. And generally have worse speakers.
Windwows is worse than iPadOS and Android for touch, but file management is much better and you can have apps that are not available on iPads (and important one for me is Whatsapp, but also having full locally synced Dropbox is so useful).
One that had replaces an iPad for some uses on the go is the Surface go 2 LTE, mainly to replace pen and paper, but also to act as a laptop replacement, it's the only Windows tablet that is really light, it's fanless and it generally stays relatively cool and the M3 is fast enough. I often use the keyboard as Windows explorer is crappy without a touchpad, but I can still use a pen with it and much better than on a laptop with pen support. But it has a much shorter battery life and worse speakers than a comparable iPad pro or Galaby Tab S. But if they ever make one of this size with Windows on Arm and a good chip, and good speakers, this could be an iPad replacement for even more use cases....

chmania

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2023
I think it's a question of "what's a tablet"....

For me the main issue with Windows tablets is not Windows. It's x86. They have worse battery life and get warm or even hot because of that. And they tend to be heavier than mobile tablets. And generally have worse speakers.
It is not a question what's the battery life is, but can a tablet do the same work as a laptop/desktop computer, and get the same results. Apple's iPad can't, however much the battery life is, or with the highest level chip, but any "Windows" tablet can, even if it has a low RAM and weaker chip. And, with Linux too. Those "Windows" tablets, 2 in 1s (tablet with a keyboard) run the full OS, not a re-named phone OS. ;)

By the way, if you want a de-bloated Windows 11, there's a few such out there, Tiny 11, Atlas OS and so on. You can even de-bloat the official Win 11 with a script yourself. Can you do that with macOS (or iPadOs)?

Last edited:

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
It is not a question what's the battery life is, but can a tablet do the same work as a laptop/desktop computer, and get the same results. Apple's iPad can't, however much the battery life is, or with the highest level chip, but any "Windows" tablet can, even if it has a low RAM and weaker chip. And, with Linux too. Those "Windows" tablets, 2 in 1s (tablet with a keyboard) run the full OS, not a re-named phone OS. ;)

By the way, if you want a de-bloated Windows 11, there's a few such out there, Tiny 11, Atlas OS and so on. You can even de-bloat the official Win 11 with a script yourself. Can you do that with macOS (or iPadOs)?
I have it on Windows 10 and will not upgrade to 11 till the last possible moment...

As for Windows vs iPadOS, well...

While for me iPadOS can definitely the OS of my primary device (not even MacOS can, only Windows), an iPad can be (and often is) a better device than a Windows tablet as a secondary device, and when is better depends on priorities.

For entertainement it's generally better because of battery life, lack of heat and better speakers. Also for entertainement it's better used without a keyboard and touch interaction is definitely better on iPadOS.

For other uses, it really depends on what you need to do.
If you need desktop only software, but still need pen input, Windows is the only choice, unless you want to rely on remote desktop, as I used to do, but stopped once I had connection issues a couple of times.

If you don't need a desktop only software, it depends if you can "get by" with some "cut down" versions of desktops software.

In my case what I needed was: Word for inking, a pdf reader that can annotate, Dropbox for syincing, a video player and sometimes editor, and Whatsapp.

The iPad was fine with Word, PDF and video playing/editing, Dropbox did not sync locally but the integration with Word made it usable, and there is no tablet Whatsapp

In the end it's Whatsapp that pushed me to Windows, and having full Dropbox was a very nice bonus. Also the ability to have several Word and PDF files open at the same times without having to mess with multiple apps etc was very nice.

Battery life was ok since I need max 3 hours per day for this teaching activity.

What I miss is how quick iPad is to turn on from standby compared to Windows, and the speakers. Also interacting with files is better done with a keyboard but I had it anyway on the iPad because I need to write on whatsapp.
Also I like I can leave things open without risking reloads (except once a month when it does the monthly update).

Both could be improved, iPadOS could have a more capable file management and Windows could have better touch support in Windows explorer. Also Windows on ARM could solve the battery/heat problem. And some apps (including whatsapp) could come to the iPad...

Personally I am open to both system and to use what works best and improves the most.

chmania

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2023
I have it on Windows 10 and will not upgrade to 11 till the last possible moment...
Bad idea not to update...
As for Windows vs iPadOS, well...

While for me iPadOS can definitely the OS of my primary device (not even MacOS can, only Windows), an iPad can be (and often is) a better device than a Windows tablet as a secondary device, and when is better depends on priorities.
Yes, it depends. On the type of tablet available in a given country. But, no tablet that can't run a full desktop oriented OS can give a full desktop experience. Someone here was talking about not being able to open pdfs in iPadOS...
If you need desktop only software, but still need pen input, Windows is the only choice, unless you want to rely on remote desktop, as I used to do, but stopped once I had connection issues a couple of times.
I am not into drawing, but pen can be quite useful with Linux too on touch enabled laptops, 2 in 1s, monitors etc.
If you don't need a desktop only software, it depends if you can "get by" with some "cut down" versions of desktops software.
Well, "cut down" versions won't do. One is trying to cheat oneself that way. :)
In my case what I needed was: Word for inking...
There's nothing like a dedicated device/OS to run dedicated apps.
Also Windows on ARM could solve the battery/heat problem.
I am not that sure MS would go down that road, the ARM road. MS won't want to kill the goose that laid golden eggs -- the umpteen amount of computer/laptop manufacturers in the world.
Personally I am open to both system and to use what works best and improves the most.
Me too, actually for Android, Linux, macOS and Windows, not much for ChromeOS. I bought the MBP, just to try macOS, coming from Linux. Now, I am thinking about de-bloating Win11. I used to play with MiniXP those days. Making a Linux distro much smaller is not much of a problem. I wish I could get a Preview type app in Linux. I like Safari, really do. Wish that too is available in Linux. The macOS dock is quite poor to most Linux docks, even the so-called Launchpad. Apple's macOS has a lot of eye-candy, but eye-candy is not everything. Apple is holding apps away from other platforms, maybe the EU will push it to let others use them too.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Bad idea not to update...
Why?
Yes, it depends. On the type of tablet available in a given country. But, no tablet that can't run a full desktop oriented OS can give a full desktop experience. Someone here was talking about not being able to open pdfs in iPadOS...
It depends indeed. Sometimes a mobile OS can be better for some things
I am not into drawing, but pen can be quite useful with Linux too on touch enabled laptops, 2 in 1s, monitors etc.
I am not into drawing either, I use pen in Word and PDFs
Well, "cut down" versions won't do. One is trying to cheat oneself that way. :)

There's nothing like a dedicated device/OS to run dedicated apps.
It's a matter of compromises and tradeoff, some people can't stand the fact that Windows is worse with touch, some people like you can't stand that some apps as cut down in mobile OSs. I am in the middle. I can take the compromise of touch experience being imperfect if I have enough value from Windows, or I can take the cut down app experience if it's good enough and I have other benefits (opening files in windows explorer with touch is a pain...)
I am not that sure MS would go down that road, the ARM road. MS won't want to kill the goose that laid golden eggs -- the umpteen amount of computer/laptop manufacturers in the world.
Then you are really not up to date... Microsoft is going BIG on ARM. In May they are going to present the Surface pro 10 for consumers and it will be ARM only (intel will be relegated to business users). And this time it won't be the half baked phone chips that were in the Surface pro X or Surface pro 9 5G, but something that is going to compete with Apple Silicon, made by previous Apple Silicon engeneers. And MS is working hard to improve the emulation in the next version of Windows. They want to be at the level of Rosetta 2.
Me too, actually for Android, Linux, macOS and Windows, not much for ChromeOS.
I have everything except ChromeOS devices (multiple iPads of all sizes, multiples Android tablets of all sizes, multiple Surface tablets from 10.5 to 15", 4 Macs and many WIndows laptops and desktops. I have tried Linux, but it's not for me.
I bought the MBP, just to try macOS, coming from Linux.
I bought a Macbook air 11 to try MacOS years ago, since then I bought 2 Retina Macbooks and a M1 Mini, mainly for entertainement (streaming etc)
Now, I am thinking about de-bloating Win11. I used to play with MiniXP those days. Making a Linux distro much smaller is not much of a problem. I wish I could get a Preview type app in Linux.
I need to use a pen on Word, and that's not possible with Linux, so I'll stay with the other systems.
I like Safari, really do. Wish that too is available in Linux. The macOS dock is quite poor to most Linux docks, even the so-called Launchpad. Apple's macOS has a lot of eye-candy, but eye-candy is not everything. Apple is holding apps away from other platforms, maybe the EU will push it to let others use them too.
Honestly so far only the iPhone has been impacted by the EU. Not even the iPad...

Last edited:

arc of the universe

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2023
i have been looking at the posts in this thread over the past months, and enjoy reading the different ways of thinking.

here is mine.

for my work, and for my work flow, iOS and iOS apps are ideal.
banking apps, maps, transportation related apps, etc etc. iOS can easily declare victory over macOS.
i dont want MacOS on an iPad. yuck.
i want a fully functioning and credible work related iPad devise that has a great keyboard and trackpad.
full iOS work device. no compromises. ditch MacOS entirely.

even if i would like to use only iOS and its apps, i still need three device sizes (display sizes):

- a work device: (something around a) 12.9 screen for excel, report creation, and heavy email usage (work device)
- a mobile device: iPhone (portable reading; info checking device; camera)
- a wearable device: Watch (payments; notifications on wrist; fitness; emergency)

i currently have a MacBook Air. it gets between 8 and12 hours of use per day.
i think an iPad would be fine for me.
but, the catch is input method. sorry, touch input for intensive work and number input cant win me over. ever.
but fastword to apple launching the Magic Keyboard.
revolutionary. heavy as heck; slightly unwieldy; but nice.
along with that, apple has slowly improved its trackpad input ability for iOS. s-l-o-w-l-y.
so, getting even more interesting.
but still, something extremely put-offing about that round ball cursor that apple uses for trackpad input. half-pregnant.

and now, a couple of weeks before the launch of new iPads (Pro and Air), and, here is the key point: a new keyboard/trackpad that somehow is better integrated (although still removable) is rumoured.
(no report to date has this new keyboard/trackpad being usable with the new iPad Airs, only the Pro)

i bet it is time to make the work device switch to iOS.

Last edited:

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Just a video from a first search...how to paint on a Linux 2 in 1 laptop by a French guy...I haven't watched it yet, by the way. :) The 2 in 1 was made in 2017!
I told you I don't draw... I need to write in Word documents, and that's not possible with Linux. There is no MS Office. And libre office does not support inking. Word for iOS and Android does.

chmania

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2023
I told you I don't draw... I need to write in Word documents, and that's not possible with Linux. There is no MS Office. And libre office does not support inking. Word for iOS and Android does.
If it can be used for drawing, which is heavy work, it can do menial tasks too. Word is not the end of the world, for there are very competent products out there; German product, SoftMaker Office for much less money (there's a free version too), and a lovely Chinese product WPS Office. Oh, don't worry about backdoors to governments, for the US companies do that too. By the way, all Apple, MS, Dell, HP etc are made in China too. :)

If you carefully look in the Apple Appstore from different Apple devices, you'd not find the same apps there. There are different apps for iOS, iPadOS and macOS. Even the 3rd party developers will put apps in different stores, and some won't for few. For example, there's a SketchUp app for iOS and iPadOS, but not in the "Appstore" for macOS. Even the Apple's own apps are available for one device, but not for the other.

In Linux and Windows, it is not that way. Apple iPad simply cannot do desktop operations/tasks, maybe, if it would be made to run Linux, Windows or macOS.

An old video on using pen tool (inking) on WPS Office. This office suite has come a long way. Most of the people I know use that office suite these days, without paying MS tax. Children too. Here's an intro done 2 years ago. The same app can run on tablets, 2 in 1s, laptops and desktops, whoever the manufacturer of the device.

Last edited:

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
If it can be used for drawing, which is heavy work, it can do menial tasks too. Word is not the end of the world, for there are very competent products out there; German product, SoftMaker Office for much less money (there's a free version too), and a lovely Chinese product WPS Office. Oh, don't worry about backdoors to governments, for the US companies do that too. By the way, all Apple, MS, Dell, HP etc are made in China too. :)

If you carefully look in the Apple Appstore from different Apple devices, you'd not find the same apps there. There are different apps for iOS, iPadOS and macOS. Even the 3rd party developers will put apps in different stores, and some won't for few. For example, there's a SketchUp app for iOS and iPadOS, but not in the "Appstore" for macOS. Even the Apple's own apps are available for one device, but not for the other.

In Linux and Windows, it is not that way. Apple iPad simply cannot do desktop operations/tasks, maybe, if it would be made to run Linux, Windows or macOS.

An old video on using pen tool (inking) on WPS Office. This office suite has come a long way. Most of the people I know use that office suite these days, without paying MS tax. Children too. Here's an intro done 2 years ago. The same app can run on tablets, 2 in 1s, laptops and desktops, whoever the manufacturer of the device.
Tried WPS. It's crappy. On Windows it's either pen or trackpad, you cannot use the pen and select things at the same time like in Word. There are ads and the pro features are subscription only. And the mobile version does not work with dropbox, they want you to subscribe to their own cloud. No thanks.
Tried Softmaker too, doesn't even support a stylus.

So yeah Word is by far the best for inking. And the orther solutions are mostly paid too and worse. In my case, I am fortunate enough that the institution I work for provides Office for free for up to 15 devices and 5TB of Onedrive storage.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
If you say so. ;)
I say so because I tried it... not because I looked it up on google or watched a video on youtube ;)
Yeah sure, on MS devices.
No, that's the point, it works well not only on Windows (most Windows devices are not MS devices) and MacOS, but on iPad and Android tablet too and better the any other Office app (I have tried many polaris office, officesuite pro, docs to go etc.), in particular when it comes to stylus support, and have better integration with main cloud service providers

chmania

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2023
I say so because I tried it... not because I looked it up on google or watched a video on youtube ;)

No, that's the point, it works well not only on Windows (most Windows devices are not MS devices) and MacOS, but on iPad and Android tablet too and better the any other Office app (I have tried many polaris office, officesuite pro, docs to go etc.), in particular when it comes to stylus support, and have better integration with main cloud service providers
Like I said, if you say so. :)
And, by the way, have you noticed that the Word/MS Office you have in your iPad is not the same as you get in a Mac?

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Like I said, if you say so. :)
And, by the way, have you noticed that the Word/MS Office you have in your iPad is not the same as you get in a Mac?
I don't use it on Mac, but I use it on Windows and of course I now it's not the same. For me it's not good enough to create some (more sophisticated) files (I do this on Windows at home) but it's perfectly fine to edit them and especially annotate them. The reason why I replaced an iPad pro with a Surface go for use on the go is not Word, it's mainly whatsapp (if whatsapp comes to iPad I may reconsider), full Dropbox (synced locally in real time) and file management in general (the ability to have multiple files open at the same time with the apps that I chose). But managing files with touch is a PITA on Windows..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.