Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Let me get this straight, my reply was regarding my iPad having abilities that my MBA does not have, yet I am "misinformed" because I did not go completely off topic, bring in another device into the discussion and make sweeping assumptions about everyone's workflows and traveling habits.

I am not a religious person but in this instance I am going to say - Lord, give me strength.
As the Lord seems to failed you in this instance let me make it simple for you

What you stated is wrong and they can be done on a MBA

If you failed to comprehend the rest of my post then with your attitude I am not inclined to assist further

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Now I just need Apple to allow pairing/set-up of an Apple Watch (Ultra) with an iPad rather than an iPhone...

If all that happened (WoW on Xbox & no iPhone needed for an Apple Watch) then I would ditch all my computer gear/monitors, buy a 4K TV, an Xbox, an iPad Pro (in a Logitech Combo Touch keyboard folio) for home/desk usage, an iPad mini for out-and-about usage, and an Apple Watch Ultra would serve as my cell phone...
Well, technically you can do this already. I tried the Apple Watch (Ultra) with an iPad... only paired the iPhone for setup purposes under Family Sharing.

I used one of my family member's iPhone... was able to setup my Apple ID under the Apple Watch, but the problem I had was that too many apps were dependent on the iPhone (especially Pocket Cast). And there was no way to add two Apple ID's, for instance I have a separate AppleID for my Media & Purchases.

And that particular AppleID is used for Apple One and there was no way to use my Apple Music subscription for the Apple Watch.

Edit. But you mention pairing and setup with an iPad... so, maybe the method is not completely accurate.

Last edited:

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
I think what DeepSix is finding or maybe does not know is that Apple battery management system will drop the battery charge capacity if plugged in for long periods, to protect the battery

However even Apple note that: "When they remain at full charge for prolonged periods of time, battery health can be affected"

What is not addressed officially is usage whilst connected to a power source. There seems mixed views on this but the argument seems if the demands on CPU are high then this is more harmful to the battery if it is constantly connected to a power source.
Will drop by how much? A couple percetage points? That's what most BMS already do, they show 100% when they are actually a bit lower and they turn off the device when the battery is not totally dead. That's a protection feature but the voltage remains very high (still close to the max) or very low, so nothing even close to what you can do on devices with a proper charge threashold. iPhone apparently have a stronger protection features so they drop the charge much more, but I have no modern iPhone to test that.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Sorry you seem misinformed, other than using FaceID which is obviously not on a MBA (but you can still access all your banking apps other ways) they are possible, Maybe not how you have set up your MBA but my MB14/16 Pro they are :)

I think these days its almost a given most have a smart phone (eg IPhone) and your list is typically showing functionality that is duplicated on an Ipad and not exclusive.

I would say you would be hard pushed to find someone who owns a MBA who does not have a smartphone or not travel with it and the same for most Ipad owners
I think his point is that those tasks can't be done on a laptop "as well".

For example, I can scan a document on my iPad and import it directly to notability. I don't have to fiddle with more than 1 device. I guess I could also do so with my iPhone and airdrop it to my MacBook, but otherwise, there's no easy way of scanning a document on my Mac without using external equipment.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Will drop by how much? A couple percetage points? That's what most BMS already do, they show 100% when they are actually a bit lower and they turn off the device when the battery is not totally dead. That's a protection feature but the voltage remains very high (still close to the max) or very low, so nothing even close to what you can do on devices with a proper charge threashold. iPhone apparently have a stronger protection features so they drop the charge much more, but I have no modern iPhone to test that.
Unfortunately Apple support article does not state by how much it drops and I am inclined to agree with you else Apple would not state "battery health can be affected".

Additionally as I noted before its not addressed directly but can be implied with point of sale systems, what happens with prolonged use whilst plugged in to a power source. Most seem to think this is detrimental to the battery especially with high CPU demands.

Like yourself I cannot see any significant advantage for the battery by limiting charge cycles by substituting extended connection to a power pack to maintain full charge or stepped down full charge continuously.

However the OP seems happy with his/hers findings and the extra power pack to be carried. So perhaps the "can" is not applicable for their usage :)

Reactions: Digitalguy

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
I think his point is that those tasks can't be done on a laptop "as well".

For example, I can scan a document on my iPad and import it directly to notability. I don't have to fiddle with more than 1 device. I guess I could also do so with my iPhone and airdrop it to my MacBook, but otherwise, there's no easy way of scanning a document on my Mac without using external equipment.
I do not disagree some things can be done easier on either device at times but that is far away from can't :)

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Unfortunately Apple support article does not state by how much it drops and I am inclined to agree with you else Apple would not state "battery health can be affected".

Additionally as I noted before its not addressed directly but can be implied with point of sale systems, what happens with prolonged use whilst plugged in to a power source. Most seem to think this is detrimental to the battery especially with high CPU demands.

Like yourself I cannot see any significant advantage for the battery by limiting charge cycles by substituting extended connection to a power pack to maintain full charge or stepped down full charge continuously.

However the OP seems happy with his/hers findings and the extra power pack to be carried. So perhaps the "can" is not applicable for their usage :)
I use third party Windows or Mac apps to measure battery charge levels, and when it's at 100% the lowest I have measured is 97%, so still very high voltage.
The question (that has no answer) is: is the battery still in use and therefore trickled charged when at 100%, or at least what Apple shows as 100%, or is the iPad getting its power only from the charger. We don't know, but one thing we know is that an iPad cannot work without a battery or with a dead battery if plugged into power. This is not necessarily proof of anything, but even if the battery was not trickled charged when at 100% the effect from the high voltage while using the device is probably similar, if not worse, that normal cycling.

Reactions: SteveJUAE

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
I use third party Windows or Mac apps to measure battery charge levels, and when it's at 100% the lowest I have measured is 97%, so still very high voltage.
The question (that has no answer) is: is the battery still in use and therefore trickled charged when at 100%, or at least what Apple shows as 100%, or is the iPad getting its power only from the charger. We don't know, but one thing we know is that an iPad cannot work without a battery or with a dead battery if plugged into power. This is not necessarily proof of anything, but even if the battery was not trickled charged when at 100% the effect from the high voltage while using the device is probably similar, if not worse, that normal cycling.
Yep, I had read a posting between two electrical Eng's on Apple support who had opposing views on how the power system worked re always via the battery or 1 or other and both and they just agreed to disagree LOL

Arctic Moose

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
For example, I can scan a document on my iPad and import it directly to notability. I don't have to fiddle with more than 1 device.

I have used my iPad to “scan” documents in a pinch, but the results are terrible, and it is significantly fiddlier than just dropping the document in the flatbed that is permanently connected to my Mac and hitting the button in Image Capture.

🤷‍♂️

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I have used my iPad to “scan” documents in a pinch, but the results are terrible, and it is significantly fiddlier than just dropping the document in the flatbed that is permanently connected to my Mac and hitting the button in Image Capture.

🤷‍♂️
My context is that I just need "good enough" scans of students' work to showcase in the classroom, where speed and ease of use trump quality. For proper document scans (eg: letters to parents, textbooks etc) they go into the dedicated scanner in our printing room as well).

Reactions: bondr006

chmania

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2023
My context is that I just need "good enough" scans of students' work to showcase in the classroom, where speed and ease of use trump quality. For proper document scans (eg: letters to parents, textbooks etc) they go into the dedicated scanner in our printing room as well).
Yes, an iPad is mostly a student-pad...;)

NastyMatt

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2020
My iPad native Banking app let me scan cheques in, as long as the app accepts them, quality is not an issue. Where as, the online banking website (that also requires a security device or approval from iPad app for login) does not have that functionality (regardless of what ”other” people seem to think) - plus even if it did, trying to scan on a MBA would be near impossible.

I also have to scan receipts (and documents) for a business and the quality has never been questioned by HMRC and these have been done by my IPP.

I (have) used for scanning Dropbox, Google Drive, Doc Scan, Banking app (not saying on a public forum), Xero and a Salesforce app all from my IPP but I suppose it’s the camera’s quality not the app that matters.

chmania

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2023
My iPad native Banking app let me scan cheques in, as long as the app accepts them, quality is not an issue. Where as, the online banking website (that also requires a security device or approval from iPad app for login) does not have that functionality (regardless of what ”other” people seem to think) - plus even if it did, trying to scan on a MBA would be near impossible.

I also have to scan receipts (and documents) for a business and the quality has never been questioned by HMRC and these have been done by my IPP.

I (have) used for scanning Dropbox, Google Drive, Doc Scan, Banking app (not saying on a public forum), Xero and a Salesforce app all from my IPP but I suppose it’s the camera’s quality not the app that matters.
Android phone or an iPhone can, and all other actions can be done on a laptop, whatever the name it carries. And, you can put the phone in your back pocket. Try putting an ipad in a trouser pocket...

NastyMatt

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2020
Android phone or an iPhone can, and all other actions can be done on a laptop, whatever the name it carries. And, you can put the phone in your back pocket. Try putting an ipad in a trouser pocket...
Which no one has ever refuted but this conversation (and actual title of the thread) is about ONLY having an iPad or laptop. As soon as we start bringing other devices into the conversation it sort of defeats the object question.

I have never been able to put my MBA in any of my pockets, back or front.

bondr006

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2010
Cary, NC - My Name is Rob Bond
Which no one has ever refuted but this conversation (and actual title of the thread) is about ONLY having an iPad or laptop. As soon as we start bringing other devices into the conversation it sort of defeats the object question.

I have never been able to put my MBA in any of my pockets, back or front.
For you that may be true but is not universal.

Some people are very repetitive, inflexible, small minded, intolerant, immature, bored, lacking self awareness, and attention seekers. I am thinking maybe somewhere on the spectrum, and probably on medication. I mean, they spend a lot of time and energy in a forum full of Apple device users, trying to get us to understand that the devices and os's we use and like, are in actuality......really useless, and just totally suck.

I guess we are all just clueless, and really don't know what we like, or even should be using.
Scratch Head.gif

Last edited:

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Thanks. In my use case, I cannot use an iPad to replace the computer.

And no one here is pointing a gun to your head and forcing you to. The iPad is a tool, it has its quirks, its strengths and weaknesses, and the idea here is to identify what those are so that people can use the right tool for the job.

It is one thing to say “the iPad is useless to me because it can’t do the things I want it to do” and another to assert “the iPad is useless for me, therefore it must be useless for everyone”.

Melbourne Park

macrumors 6502a
My wife has an X360 Elitebook (4 years old) and a 10.5" iPad Pro. Both need replacing.

Can she run Windows somehow on the next iPad?

Outside of using Outlook and Word on her Elitebook, which is mostly for voluntary work - she uses her iPad all the time. She's addicted to the darn thing.

She loves MS Word (with its Control key copy and past method) and also she loves Office's Outlook mail app. She also hates a mouse and loves a touch screen.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.