Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

DeepSix

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2022
I have batteries that are over 100% with hundreds of cycles
Batteries have limited number of cycles before it starts to really degrade.

The more you cycle especially deep cycle any battery the more wear it puts on the battery. That's why those people who don't charge throughout the day and drain their battery from 100% to 5% every single day, need a new phone in a year.

I've had devices for many years that I constantly keep it topped up as much as I can. And down the road I haven't noticed any difference in its battery life.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Batteries have limited number of cycles before it starts to really degrade.

The more you cycle especially deep cycle any battery the more wear it puts on the battery. That's why those people who don't charge throughout the day and drain their battery from 100% to 5% every single day, need a new phone in a year.

I've had devices for many years that I constantly keep it topped up as much as I can. And down the road I haven't noticed any difference in its battery life.
Except that cycling is not the only factor the wears the battery, high and low voltage does too. What you do would work with a device that has a charge threashold (like many Windows and Android devices), not with iPads.
You are essentially keeping them at high voltage, which degrades the battery more than healthy (not deep) cycles.
I have many devices and a few years ago I decided to test this with both a mini 5 and an iPhone SE (1st gen).
I kept track of the battery health regularly, as I do with all my iPads.
After 6 months with the Mini 5 plugged in anytime I stopped using it (and sometimes I used it while plugged in) battery health went from 106 to 90, with only 15 cycles. Then I stopped.
But I kept the iPhone plugged in much longer since I was not using it (my phone is a Samsung) and I could have the battery replaced. Battery life went down much further and it became very short and when I took it to Apple for service they refused saying the battery had slightly swollen and it was not safe to replace it. Fortunately a third party shop did it.
Meanwhile my 11" pro, which was used more often, and cycled regularly between 50 and 90, after 1 year and around 200 cycles went from 106 to 102%....

I am not saying all this for you, since you seem so convinced that what you do is the best that you will just keep doing it anyway, but for those reading who could do this mistake in turn.

Last edited:
Reactions: blotchy-veil

owidhh

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2021
Ok, if you say so. But, it is still one Asahi Linux, even with a few iterations.
Not sure what your point is by now. Yes there's one Asahilinux project. Their aim is to mainline support for M series Macs into Linux and offer tools that allow booting Linux, that can be used by any distribution. And there already are a few distributions that can do it.

What's wrong with that?

BTW there's also just *one* Linux. Oh boy!

DeepSix

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2022
Except that cycling is not the only factor the wears the battery, high and low voltage does too. What you do would work with a device that has a charge threashold (like many Windows and Android devices), not with iPads.
You are essentially keeping them at high voltage, which degrades the battery more than healthy (not deep) cycles.
I have many devices and a few years ago I decided to test this with both a mini 5 and an iPhone SE (1st gen).
I kept track of the battery health regularly, as I do with all my iPads.
After 6 months with the Mini 5 plugged in anytime I stopped using it (and sometimes I used it while plugged in) battery health went from 106 to 90, with only 15 cycles. Then I stopped.
But I kept the iPhone plugged in much longer since I was not using it (my phone is a Samsung) and I could have the battery replaced. Battery life went down much further and it became very short and when I took it to Apple for service they refused saying the battery had slightly swollen and it was not safe to replace it. Fortunately a third party shop did it.
Meanwhile my 11" pro, which was used more often, and cycled regularly between 50 and 90, after 1 year and around 200 cycles went from 106 to 102%....

I am not saying all this for you, since you seem so convinced that what you do is the best that you will just keep doing it anyway, but for those reading who could do this mistake in turn.

Low voltage puts wear on Batteries? Do you have a link for this? I unplug every time after I am finished, so there is no excess wear without me using the device. I never charge overnight on any devices. And as soon as it’s fully charged I unplug it if not using it.

fw85

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2023
Not sure what your point is by now. Yes there's one Asahilinux project. Their aim is to mainline support for M series Macs into Linux and offer tools that allow booting Linux, that can be used by any distribution. And there already are a few distributions that can do it.

What's wrong with that?

Because the entire point of that user being on this forum is rage baiting? Ignore.

Reactions: 3Rock and bondr006

chmania

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2023

What's wrong with that?

Show us a way to install Linux on a T2 chip MBP, if you know how. Some had tried, but finally dropped that attempt. MBPs with a T2 chip won't even run Windows through Apple's own bootcamp well, fans don't stop running, even though the touchbar works somewhat. Alright, one might say that Apple is moving away from Intel (or AMD), but the devices had been sold, people had bought them. So, those devices should be useful with other OS platforms. But, they are not!

While I wish all the best for Asahi Linux developers, one Linux platform is not enough a reason the buy a M chip MacBook, just to dual boot. An M chip MacBook can't run Windows on bare metal, there's no chance to triple boot.

bondr006

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2010
Cary, NC - My Name is Rob Bond

What's wrong with that?

Because the entire point of that user being on this forum is rage baiting? Ignore.
Correct! Not everyone is here for edification. They add nothing useful to the discussion. They are here to only trash Apple and capitalize on the fact that they are in an Apple forum stirring up the natives. It "excites" them to grab the attention of anyone that's willing to debate the uselessness of iPads and Macs, and just how much of a crap company Apple is in general. The good news is, if ignored, they will get bored and eventually go away and find another community pond to throw their fishing line into....

fishing2.gif

bcortens

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2007
Ontario Canada
Show us a way to install Linux on a T2 chip MBP, if you know how. Some had tried, but finally dropped that attempt. MBPs with a T2 chip won't even run Windows through Apple's own bootcamp well, fans don't stop running, even though the touchbar works somewhat. Alright, one might say that Apple is moving away from Intel (or AMD), but the devices had been sold, people had bought them. So, those devices should be useful with other OS platforms. But, they are not!
Why should they be useful with other OS platforms? Apple is in the business of selling Macs to run macOS, that they could dual boot into windows was always just a nice to have and never a requirement or necessity.

While I wish all the best for Asahi Linux developers, one Linux platform is not enough a reason the buy a M chip MacBook, just to dual boot. An M chip MacBook can't run Windows on bare metal, there's no chance to triple boot.
If you are buying an M series Mac to run other operating systems you’re really wasting your time. Apple doesn’t care to support multiple OSs on their systems, sure Asahi can work around that by reverse engineering things but you shouldn’t expect to ever get official support.

Reactions: Arctic Moose

chmania

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2023
Why should they be useful with other OS platforms? Apple is in the business of selling Macs to run macOS, ...
One of the reasons, why we'd be awaiting further EU regulations on computers, operating systems and software. I've already noticed that MS Edge (and few other system apps) can be uninstalled from an official install of Windows 11.
When people buy electronic devices, they are not owned by the company that manufacturers them, but the consumer. An OS is also a product, just at the device. They should be useful to the consumer, and shouldn't be used to make the consumer use the OS and other software that the manufacturer puts in the device, in other words, the manufacturer cannot blackmail/force the user. Once the device is bought, it is owned by the user.

There are already 3 recreated, debloated Windows 11 OSs out there, AtlasOS, ReviOS and Tiny11.

Last edited:

bcortens

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2007
Ontario Canada
One of the reasons, why we'd be awaiting further EU regulations on computers, operating systems and software. I've already noticed that MS Edge (and few other system apps) can be uninstalled from an official install of Windows 11.
When people buy electronic devices, they are not owned by the company that manufacturers them, but the consumer. An OS is also a product, just at the device. They should be useful to the consumer, and shouldn't be used to make the consumer use the OS and other software that the manufacturer puts in the device, in other words, the manufacturer cannot blackmail/force the user. Once the device is bought, it is owned by the user.

There are already 3 recreated, debloated Windows 11 OSs out there, AtlasOS, ReviOS and Tiny11.
While I am on record in these forums supporting the spirit of the DMA I think you’re dreaming if you think regulation would ever require a hardware maker to support other people’s software. Should Apple be required to avoid actively obstructing third party systems? Yes. However, the T2 and M series macs do not appear to actively block third party systems, Apple just doesn’t do anything to help them. The fact that Asahi linux works at all is proof that they aren’t actively stopping development of third party OSs on M series macs.

Apple isn’t forcing anything or blackmailing the user. If you want to install a third party OS on M series macs you can do that, if you can’t do that because the OS you are interested in isn’t available that isn’t Apple’s fault nor is there anything that Apple should be required to change.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Low voltage puts wear on Batteries? Do you have a link for this? I unplug every time after I am finished, so there is no excess wear without me using the device. I never charge overnight on any devices. And as soon as it’s fully charged I unplug it if not using it.
I don't have time to find links right now but it's well know that prolongued low voltage and high voltage degrade Li-on batteries. But if you don't keep the devices plugged in all the time it's not that bad as they naturally discharge, which lowers the voltage

Reactions: blotchy-veil

chmania

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2023
While I am on record in these forums supporting the spirit of the DMA I think you’re dreaming if you think regulation would ever require a hardware maker to support other people’s software.
The EU regulators need the votes of the people in the EU, not in the US, so the chances are high to get the manufacturers to allow stuff they can get away with in the US. I was quite surprised, when I saw that MS Edge can be uninstalled from Win11. It could be that the Win11 you get in the US is different from what we get in the EU.

bcortens

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2007
Ontario Canada
The EU regulators need the votes of the people in the EU, not in the US, so the chances are high to get the manufacturers to allow stuff they can get away with in the US. I was quite surprised, when I saw that MS Edge can be uninstalled from Win11. It could be that the Win11 you get in the US is different from what we get in the EU.
I'm not American, not that that has anything to do with my point. What grounds would the EU have to force Apple to write device drivers for Windows or (insert favourite linux flavour here)? The EU isn't even trying to force Apple to build support for Android on iPhones and iPhones are far far more dominant than Macs are. The EU seems mostly interested in compelling Apple to be more open to competition on its platforms but it doesn't seem to have any interest at the moment in actually forcing Apple to support other company's platforms on Apple hardware.

Boil

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2018
Stargate Command
I'm not American, not that that has anything to do with my point. What grounds would the EU have to force Apple to write device drivers for Windows or (insert favourite linux flavour here)? The EU isn't even trying to force Apple to build support for Android on iPhones and iPhones are far far more dominant than Macs are. The EU seems mostly interested in compelling Apple to be more open to competition on its platforms but it doesn't seem to have any interest at the moment in actually forcing Apple to support other company's platforms on Apple hardware.

Ask yourself the same question in reverse...

What is the EU doing to force Microsoft/PC manufacturers to write drivers for macOS to run on PC hardware...?

There is no valid reason for any governing/regulatory body to force Apple to support Android/Linux/Windows on Apple hardware...

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
I don't have time to find links right now but it's well know that prolongued low voltage and high voltage degrade Li-on batteries. But if you don't keep the devices plugged in all the time it's not that bad as they naturally discharge, which lowers the voltage
I think what DeepSix is finding or maybe does not know is that Apple battery management system will drop the battery charge capacity if plugged in for long periods, to protect the battery

However even Apple note that: "When they remain at full charge for prolonged periods of time, battery health can be affected"

What is not addressed officially is usage whilst connected to a power source. There seems mixed views on this but the argument seems if the demands on CPU are high then this is more harmful to the battery if it is constantly connected to a power source.

chmania

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2023
What is the EU doing to force Microsoft/PC manufacturers to write drivers for macOS to run on PC hardware...?

There is no valid reason for any governing/regulatory body to force Apple to support Android/Linux/Windows on Apple hardware...
To break the US hegemony... ;)

Reactions: nj-morris

OnePieceIsReal

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2023
long time iPad user as a laptop and switched last year to Mac; Mac>ipad for everything that isn’t Apple Pencil related. I use both but yah sadly Apple locks ipados too much to be a useful tool other than note taking and photo editing

NastyMatt

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2020
long time iPad user as a laptop and switched last year to Mac; Mac>ipad for everything that isn’t Apple Pencil related. I use both but yah sadly Apple locks ipados too much to be a useful tool other than note taking and photo editing
I feel that is a rather limited view. Here are just a couple of things I did (only) yesterday, that did not require the pencil and that is not possible on my MBA:
  • Scanned a document
  • Watched Netflix (offline) while traveling
  • Logged into a native Banking app (with just FaceID)
  • Played COD Mobile with a controller
Amazing how those who eulogise Macs claim those who prefer iPads have basic workflows or are not technical, yet I am starting to beleive there is a significant amount of Mac users who have a finite worflow that does not require flexibility and are happy with their constraints.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
I feel that is a rather limited view. Here are just a couple of things I did (only) yesterday, that did not require the pencil and that is not possible on my MBA:
  • Scanned a document
Amazing how those who eulogise Macs claim those who prefer iPads have basic workflows or are not technical, yet I am starting to beleive there is a significant amount of Mac users who have a finite worflow that does not require flexibility and are happy with their constraints.
Sorry you seem misinformed, other than using FaceID which is obviously not on a MBA (but you can still access all your banking apps other ways) they are possible, Maybe not how you have set up your MBA but my MB14/16 Pro they are :)

I think these days its almost a given most have a smart phone (eg IPhone) and your list is typically showing functionality that is duplicated on an Ipad and not exclusive.

I would say you would be hard pushed to find someone who owns a MBA who does not have a smartphone or not travel with it and the same for most Ipad owners

Last edited:

NastyMatt

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2020
Sorry you seem misinformed, other than using FaceID which is obviously not on a MBA (but you can still access all your banking apps other ways) they are possible, Maybe not how you have set up your MBA but my MB14/16 Pro they are :)

I think these days its almost a given most have a smart phone (eg IPhone) and your list is typically showing functionality that is duplicated on an Ipad and not exclusive.

I would say you would be hard pushed to find someone who owns a MBA who does not have a smartphone or not travel with it and the same for most Ipad owners

Let me get this straight, my reply was regarding my iPad having abilities that my MBA does not have, yet I am "misinformed" because I did not go completely off topic, bring in another device into the discussion and make sweeping assumptions about everyone's workflows and traveling habits.

I am not a religious person but in this instance I am going to say - Lord, give me strength.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
  • Scanned a document

You can't download on Netflix for offline watching on a Mac? You can on Windows.

Reactions: bondr006

Boil

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2018
Stargate Command
If Blizzard/Activision would port World of Warcraft to iPadOS, I would have no need for macOS or Windows at all; I would get a console for playing the few AAA titles I do (looking at you GTA franchise) and make an iPad Pro (in a Logitech Combo Touch keyboard folio) my main computer...

As it is now, my main computer is:
  • Lian-Li TU150 chassis
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Impact miniDTX mobo
  • AMD Ryzen 3900X CPU (12-core / 24-thread)
  • 32GB DDR4 RAM (G.Skill Trident NeoZ)
  • 1TB Sabrent NVMe SSD (PCIe x4 Gen4)
  • Zotac RTX 2070 GPU
  • Corsair SF750 SFX PSU (750W / Platinum-rated)
  • Noctua NH-U12A Heat Sink
  • (3) Noctua NF-A12x25 Fans
  • Windows 10 Home
Looking to replace it with a Mac mini (the PC makes my room about 5 degrees or so hotter than the rest of the house just at idle); but if I could replace it with an iPad Pro and a game console that, for me, would be ideal...

So I just found out that there might be a possibility that Activision/Blizzard (now owned by Microsoft) may port World of Warcraft over to the Xbox...

This would be awesome, I could run WoW & GTA6 on a Xbox, and use an iPad Pro for all my other computing needs...!

Now I just need Apple to allow pairing/set-up of an Apple Watch (Ultra) with an iPad rather than an iPhone...

If all that happened (WoW on Xbox & no iPhone needed for an Apple Watch) then I would ditch all my computer gear/monitors, buy a 4K TV, an Xbox, an iPad Pro (in a Logitech Combo Touch keyboard folio) for home/desk usage, an iPad mini for out-and-about usage, and an Apple Watch Ultra would serve as my cell phone...

And an Apple Pencil 3, because Procreate...! ;^p

Reactions: bondr006

NastyMatt

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2020
You can't download on Netflix for offline watching on a Mac? You can on Windows.
Nope.

”You can watch Netflix movies and TV shows in a browser on your Mac, but you can't download them to watch offline later. Nor is there a Netflix app for Mac. So, while you can download content on an iPhone, iPad, Windows PC, or even a Chromebook, you can't do it on a Mac”

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.