Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Carniphage

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Sheffield, England
absolutely! check out ibluever. only 5 dollars on cydia.

Erm...

Could you post a screenshot?

C.

EDIT - Oh I understand now. You have an app for Jailbroken iPads, which allow them to tether via Bluetooth to phones which already support bluetooth tethering.

MyWi is different. It turns the iPhone into a WiFi hotspot for all devices including the iPad. This involves less configuration and means not paying for a cellphone tariff for tethering. So the $20 price is recouped in a month of usage.

The new version of MyWi is power efficient.

But good luck with ibluever - there must be some be iPad users with Blackberries!

C.

aohus

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2010
sky
Erm...

Could you post a screenshot?

C.

EDIT - Oh I understand now. You have an app for Jailbroken iPads, which allow them to tether via Bluetooth to phones which already support bluetooth tethering.

This involves less configuration and means not paying for a cellphone tariff for tethering. So the $20 price is recouped in a month of usage.

The new version of MyWi is power efficient.

But good luck with ibluever - there must be some be iPad users with Blackberries!

C.

There is no 'cellphone tariff' for tethering using ibluever. Its based upon the unlimited data plan I already have on my Verizon account.

Yes, thats a big plus, having the mywi as a wifi hotspot. but for users that want 3g speeds for individual use, ibluever is a great alternative to the mywi, if not the only choice as mywi only supports the iphone, whereas ibluever supports ALL types of phones regardless of carrier/phone.

img0006w.png

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
iPhone not supported?!

I would call ibluever horse crap.

Very happy with MyWi 4.0 tethering.

aohus

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2010
sky
iPhone not supported?!

I would call ibluever horse crap.

Very happy with MyWi 4.0 tethering.

Ok and how many non-iphone users are there in the world compared to iphone users?

you paid $20 dollars. I paid $5 dollars. I'm saving $15, yeah it might not be that much, but I'm still getting the better deal than you as I have perfect 3G speeds if not better battery life than the mywi+iphone combo. I retain my belief that mywi is horsecrap because it ONLY supports iphone, whereas ibluever supports all phone types.

i know its hard for many apple fanboys, but there are currently more non-iphone phones out there than iphones.

this is helpful to MANY people. im throwing it out there for non-iphone owners.

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
i know its hard for many apple fanboys, but there are currently more non-iphone phones out there than iphones.

this is helpful to MANY people. im throwing it out there for non-iphone owners.

Well, firstly, unless I am mistaken, this is an
iPhone forum. You aren't going to get many
people (if any at all) that don't have an iPhone.

So, for you to come here and push a product
that isn't yet available for the iPhone is kind of
senseless.

....then you have the nerve to call MyWi
"horsecrap" (which was in your original post
that I responded to before you edited that word
out).

Truth be, for iPhone owners of this iPhone
forum, MyWi is a fantastic tethering program.
Use it to tether from my iPhone to my iPad and
the performance and speed is fantastic.

If you want to push a non-iPhone compliant
product on us I think you should take the
sales pitch to other phone forums.

I'm trying to be polite here.

aohus

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2010
sky
Well, firstly, unless I am mistaken, this is an
iPhone forum. You aren't going to get many
people (if any at all) that don't have an iPhone.

So, for you to come here and push a product
that isn't yet available for the iPhone is kind of
senseless.

....then you have the nerve to call MyWi
"horsecrap" (which was in your original post
that I responded to before you edited that word
out).

Truth be, for iPhone owners of this iPhone
forum, MyWi is a fantastic tethering program.
Use it to tether from my iPhone to my iPad and
the performance and speed is fantastic.

If you want to push a non-iPhone compliant
product on us I think you should take the
sales pitch to other phone forums.

I'm trying to be polite here.

I suppose you got defensive when i said that mywi was 'horsecrap.' apologies, but i stand by my statement that ibluever has better expanded support than mywi.

First and foremost, you are wrong, this is an iPad forum. Please check subforum to verify for yourself :p

Secondly, there ARE a lot of iPad owners that do not OWN an iPhone. Its a bit childish to assume that all iPad owners are iPhone owners as well.

Thirdly, if I'm peddling a product, than what are you doing? Isn't this whole thread peddling the mywi app?

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
You're right. This is an iPad forum. I'm
mistaken. Apologies on this end as well.
I subscribe to so many forum areas here
I was simply responding to an email alert
not looking which forum I was in.

And, yes, I was taken back by you calling
WiFi "horsecrap" because for what it is and
for those of us with iPhone, it is a highly
effective tethering software that saves us
hundreds of $$$ per year on tethering costs.
So, even at $20 it pays for itself in the first
month of usage.

Carniphage

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Sheffield, England
I suppose you got defensive when i said that mywi was 'horsecrap.' apologies, but i stand by my statement that ibluever has better expanded support than mywi.

Can I politely suggest that your app isn't in competition with MyWi?

If the iPad owner owns an iPhone (and I suspect that a lot do)
Then MyWi is the only option.

If they don't - then your App is a possible alternative.

Given this, there is no need for any hostile language at all.

C.

aohus

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2010
sky
Can I politely suggest that your app isn't in competition with MyWi?

If the iPad owner owns an iPhone (and I suspect that a lot do)
Then MyWi is the only option.

If they don't - then your App is a possible alternative.

Given this, there is no need for any hostile language at all.

C.

definitely not in 'competition' with one another, but a good complement to those that are non-iphone owners.

granted, i came off a bit trollish in my initial post stating 'horsecrap.' i'll recant that remark

thank you for the polite replies.

peterja

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2008
LOL @ all the mywi + ipad folks. What a terrible way to tether

I tether via bluetooth, and I am able to get perfect 3G speeds from Verizon. (without paying for tethering plan)
I believe Bluetooth 2.1 is limited to 2-3 Mbit/s? So to get perfect 3G/HSDPA speeds you need to wifi tether, my carrier says up to 10 Mbit/s but at least around 5 Mbit/s is not unusual.

aohus

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2010
sky
I believe Bluetooth 2.1 is limited to 2-3 Mbit/s? So to get perfect 3G/HSDPA speeds you need to wifi tether, my carrier says up to 10 Mbit/s but at least around 5 Mbit/s is not unusual.

2-3Mbit is more than enough for bluetooth.

typical 3G speeds across all carriers are within the 1Mbit range. the data was presented by PC Magazine on June 3rd, 2010

0,1468,i=264493,00.gif

peterja

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2008
Typical? So stay clear of good and excellent conditions and you'll be fine :)
I'm just saying that it would be a bottleneck for me because I often get more than 5 MBit/s.

There's a speedtest thread in the iPhone forum and I remember seeing posts with more than 4 Mbit/s in the US.

chosentwist

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2010
i've used MyWi on my 3gs (3.1.2) and works perfectly on the iphone, or anything else looking for a wireless connection. i also cut the SIM card in my 3gs down to a micro SIM, and put it in the ipad and changed the APN setting to 'Phone' and worked flawlessly instead. This is why I now have an iphone 4 on the way...the micro SIM from your phone will go into the ipad for free internet.

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
chosentwist,

Okay, now you have piqued my interest.

Explain this VERY carefully so a dummy like
me understands.

You were able to get MyWi to work on your
non 3G iPad?

i also cut the SIM card in my 3gs down to a micro SIM

Am I understanding that you did some SIM
card replacement and it worked?

How do you cut a SIM down to a micro SIM?

Does the iPad even take a SIM card?

Could you do an easy-to-follow step-by-step
tutorial on what you did and what it accomplished?

The only thing holding me back from buying
an iPhone 4 is that it still cannot be jailbroken
and thus I cannot tether off of it via MyWi.

chosentwist

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2010
no, I have used MyWi on my 3gs (iphone) to tether my 3gs iPad...sorry for the confusion. I took the SIM card out of the ipad, and traced a line around it on the regular SIM card of the iPhone, and cut it out to fit the tray of the iPad. I put it in, and changed the APN to 'Phone'. It instantly connected to AT&T 3GS. I then took out the SIM from the iPad (my old cut iPhone SIM card), and put it back in the outer part of the sim card that I cut off. Be very careful and precise when cutting to make it easy to fit back into the original SIM size so it will go back into your iPhone. Put the SIM card back in the iPhone and will work just like before.

I posted this in another form, but i have an iPhone4 on the way, so as soon as i get that i will confirm if the MicroSIM from the iPhone4 works as well on the iPad for data.

Just remember, once you put your iPhone SIM card into the iPad, you must change the APN setting to 'Phone' (no username or password). Otherwise it won't work. Hope this helps

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
Unfortunately I am at a huge disadvantage.

I have the WiFi only iPad so no SIM slot.

chosentwist

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2010
yea, im glad i spent the extra money on the 3gs iPad model, especially now that i know you can use your iPhone SIM card for data. Be careful on updates though, apple will slip in security blocks that might disable this 'feature' so always read and check posts before updating!

NJRonbo:

if you have an iPhone 3gs (not sure if u can jailbreak the later versions than 3.1.2 or not, which is what i have)..just use MyWi, and youll have 3gs service everywhere you go (assuming you have your phone on you at all times)

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
There is a version of MyWi for iOS4, but I still have my 3Gs with 3.1.2 and use MyWi for my WiFi only iPad. Most places I'm at have pretty damn good signal so it's still fast, but I don't have to use it that much either because most places I'm at have WiFi already. It's just a nice perk for those moments when I don't have WiFi. It was a great $10 purchase. If I ever get the iPhone 4 I will definitely get the new MyWi as well.

aohus

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2010
sky
Typical? So stay clear of good and excellent conditions and you'll be fine :)
I'm just saying that it would be a bottleneck for me because I often get more than 5 MBit/s.

There's a speedtest thread in the iPhone forum and I remember seeing posts with more than 4 Mbit/s in the US.

even with good and excellent conditions you will NOT be getting 5Mbit+

check any benchmark tests done for the carriers. heck, look at the MAX benchmark results i provided. they don't go beyond 3Mbit besides the 4G network... did you even look at the chart i provided? :p

w00master

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002

MyWi doesn't require the iPad to be 3g enabled. MyWi essential makes your Jailbroken iPhone into a wireless hotspot. You can share as many (within reason) wireless devices as you need to (PC, notebooks, smartphones, etc.)

w00master

NoStopN

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2010
Murfreesboro, TN
There is no 'cellphone tariff' for tethering using ibluever. Its based upon the unlimited data plan I already have on my Verizon account.

Just for the sake of knowledge, how much is an unlimited data plan from VZ? The last time I went on their website, I saw no information of an unlimited data plan. That was about 2 weeks ago, so they may have actually done away with it for new customers.

Also, looking at the pic you posted from PC World, VZ's d/l speed isn't anything for most of us to want to switch from AT&T for. And last of all, the spread sheets for iBluever don't appear to show that it is compatible for an iPhone to iPad tether. I guess that would defeat the point of some of us using it. Thanks for showing us an alternative. Perhaps the developer can get the iPhone to iPad details worked out & he will have more fans.

As mentioned above, if you are using Mywi to tether to your iPad, then you're not at any real disadvantage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.