Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hey Now

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
For me, mywi always keeps running after I turn it off. The next time you use it, check to see if it is still broadcasting a wifi signal. Mine does. The only way to really stop it is to reboot my phone. Annoying, yes, but I don't really use it all that much.

I've used MyWi before and this is the first time I've had this problem (apparently not turning off even though it indicates it has).

This app has been inconsistent and buggy, I'd hardly describe it as "amazing." With the launch of the iPad, hopefully another developer will recognize this opportunity to make a lot of cash by providing a competitive solution that actually works well. I'd pay more for a better app.

airfrancisco

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2005
Trying out MyWi for the first time; however, I ran into minor problem such as not connecting to internet. Tried on my mac and gave the same message as ipad. Then checked network under mac setting and was given self-assigned ip address, so I know it's not working. I was able to tether thru bluetooth and usb, but not wifi. I changed from 1-11 channels and none works. Also, am I suppose to see any signal bars from iPhone because it was showing no bars at all?

taknightta

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2010
I have non-jailbroken 3.1.3 and have MyWi running on it. I just created a wrapper on .app, codesign with my developer credentials, gets installed via Xcode and it works.

Currently figuring out how MyWi works. It's using private frameworks which Apple won't allow in the Appstore. Better if the just implement Wifi tether in the OS.

Since I just signed up for the developer program, I thought I'd give this a try.

I can't see, though, how this can work with MyWi, which requires some additional libraries to be installed that, I think, can only be installed on a jailbroken phone.

But I've been looking at PdaNet - this doesn't seem to have that same issue....but although I've converted the cydia deb file to an IPA
("ar vx filename.deb", and then untar the data.tar.gz file, find the PdaNet.app file, and put it in a folder named "Payload", and then zip that into a file you rename PdaNet.ipa).......I can't get the crappstore project to fully build. I'm getting an error on the codesign - the project builds, the various scripts unzip the ipa and copy stuff into place, but when xcode tries to do the "codesign -f -s.....", I get an error:

"............/PdaNet/build/Release-iphoneos/PdaNet.app: code object is not signed"

Any ideas? Anybody gotten a crappstore-wrapped ipa to properly work?

(I know my base developer credentials are fine - I got iProxy up and running and installed on my non-jailbroken phone just fine....so I must be missing something, or there's something in the PdaNet.app that's messing things up, but I can't figure it out).

kwjohns

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2007
taknightta:

PDAnet requires that the devices that will be connecting to it will have to setup an adhoc network. Can't do that with the iPad, so it would be useless to install. MyWi is the only option. MyWi uses Mobile Substrate so it can't be done. jeznav doesn't have it working and that's why he hasn't explained how he did it.

Carniphage

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Sheffield, England
Since I just signed up for the developer program, I thought I'd give this a try.

I can't see, though, how this can work with MyWi, which requires some additional libraries to be installed that, I think, can only be installed on a jailbroken phone.
I am not certain you are right about this. Why do you think MyWi is dependent upon "installed libraries"?

But I've been looking at PdaNet
If you want PdaNet to work - why not just build and run iProxy? iProxy is a PdaNet-a-like distributed as XCode source.

I don't think this will work with the iPad however.

C.

naftalim

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2007
Vancouver, BC
I have a 3Gs and still have my older 3G, so jailbroke the 3G and loaded MyWi. Have to switch in SIM card, but not a big issue.

WEP has some problems. Also, the speed seems slower than WiFi at home.

I have the Rogers 6GB Data plan, so should be ok with data usage. I mostly use the iPad at home, so for the occasional need to use in a non WiFi location, it will work.

taknightta

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2010
PDAnet requires that the devices that will be connecting to it will have to setup an adhoc network. Can't do that with the iPad, so it would be useless to install. MyWi is the only option. MyWi uses Mobile Substrate so it can't be done. jeznav doesn't have it working and that's why he hasn't explained how he did it.[/QUOTE]

Oops! Yeah, you're right. I was going on some second-hand info that pdanet could do a wifi hotspot like MiFi....should have checked that out myself.

I have done iProxy...but I'm looking for a way to do this that'll work with other things like iSSH.

Looks like I'll have to do what naftalim has done....I'll get my old 3G back from my kid, and use that, and just swap SIMM cards as necessary. Now...where did I put that old old iphone...(she'll never give the 3G back without something in trade :)

Blacklabel34

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2009
Orange County
wow wow wow yess amazing

:eek::eek::eek:
I decided to hold off on a 3g iPad and I couldn't be happier. After reading through this thread I decided to give it a shot.
5 minutes later my iPad was connected to the internet via my iphone 3G
THIS ROCKS!!!! Thank you for the post:D:D:D

liquidtrend

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2008
HOUSTON, TX
One major question on tethering. I've used mywi a handful of times via my mbp and iPad, but I'm real curious on how much data I can get away with until AT&T notices and trys to cap me.

Has anybody come across this problem yet?

How much data are you all exercising a month on your bill because of mywi, if you don't mind me asking...

The max I've racked up was about 1gb...

liquidtrend

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2008
HOUSTON, TX
In what length of time? A 5-minute Youtube video would use up that much.

Fixed. My apologies for typing between 2-3 a.m. half awake.

But seriously...is anyone worried about being overcharged from AT&T because of the "misuse" of the unlimited data? Or at which point should someone start to worry? And when I say worry, I say it in a not so threatening "oh no..AT&T is going to charge me" way, but a "AT&T is going to charge me...darn." kind of way.

Pared

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2007
For me, mywi always keeps running after I turn it off. The next time you use it, check to see if it is still broadcasting a wifi signal. Mine does. The only way to really stop it is to reboot my phone. Annoying, yes, but I don't really use it all that much.

I've used MyWi before and this is the first time I've had this problem (apparently not turning off even though it indicates it has).

This app has been inconsistent and buggy, I'd hardly describe it as "amazing." With the launch of the iPad, hopefully another developer will recognize this opportunity to make a lot of cash by providing a competitive solution that actually works well. I'd pay more for a better app.

Does no one else have this problem or is everyone else just ignoring it? Still happens to me.

unkn0wnsoldier

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2009
Fountain, Co
Does no one else have this problem or is everyone else just ignoring it? Still happens to me.

For me, the solution is to either deal with the bugs in mywi or not have the internet at some places. I connect my iphone to an external battery while at school and surf the net on my iPad. It works for me because I leave it on for a few hours at a time. If I was tethering for 10 minutes every hour or so, I'd really be looking hard at getting the iPad 3G.

Acevesx

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
just did this on my iphone 3.1.3 amazing, browsing the web on the ipad now!

How do I turn MyWi off though? after I exit the app it still broadcast the signal, even after turning the phone off and back on!

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Mar 25, 2010
just did this on my iphone 3.1.3 amazing, browsing the web on the ipad now!

How do I turn MyWi off though? after I exit the app it still broadcast the signal, even after turning the phone off and back on!

You have to actually go in and switch it to OFF from within the app.

Acevesx

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
oops forgot to mention that as well, sorry I did that too! I think I got it to stop though just had to power the phone off a couple times and turned wifi on and off on the ipad.

dstar

macrumors regular
May 3, 2010
Trying out MyWi for the first time; however, I ran into minor problem such as not connecting to internet. Tried on my mac and gave the same message as ipad. Then checked network under mac setting and was given self-assigned ip address, so I know it's not working. I was able to tether thru bluetooth and usb, but not wifi. I changed from 1-11 channels and none works. Also, am I suppose to see any signal bars from iPhone because it was showing no bars at all?

If you are using WEP you may want to check the key. MyWi auto fills a short key with 0's to complete the key length. You need to match it on your connecting devices.

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Mar 25, 2010
oops forgot to mention that as well, sorry I did that too! I think I got it to stop though just had to power the phone off a couple times and turned wifi on and off on the ipad.

I have actually noticed it sometimes does not want to turn off but turning it off from the app and then turning off Wifi from the Settings usually works for me when I have tested it.

meagain

macrumors 68030
Nov 18, 2006
Anyone know how to get the SBSettings Tether toggle to work with MyWi? That would be nice.

azsprty

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2009
Not to be negative Nancy but what's e point. I downloaded it and its ok but just about everywhere I go I can get wifi and if not I just use my phone to hop online....so whats the point of this?

Whorehay

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
Not to be negative Nancy but what's e point. I downloaded it and its ok but just about everywhere I go I can get wifi and if not I just use my phone to hop online....so whats the point of this?

When you're not near WiFi?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.