Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ngenerator

macrumors 68000
May 12, 2009
USG Ishimura
I've got a 3GS with the latest official firmware.

I'm very interested in using this MyWi app. I've got 2 questions.

1) If I don't want to jailbreak, is there any possible way to get MyWi working on my iPhone?

2) If I do jailbreak, is there any way to ever get myself back to the official firmware?

1. No
2. Yes, a restore

If you are on the latest firmware (3.1.3) on a 3GS, you are currently not able to jailbreak if you haven't already.

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
I have yet to hear anyone, outside of
developers who have been able to get
MyWi working on an unjailbroken phone.

Yes, if you jailbreak your phone you can
go back to the original firmware.

You simply reset the iPhone via iTunes.

My only concern would be that if you
started with, say 3.1.2, when you restore
it will upgrade to the newest firmware
which you will not be able to jailbreak again
at the moment.

I may be wrong in some of this so I look
forward to other answers.

The main point I wanted to drive home is
that jailbreaking is VERY easy and for the
most part VERY safe. You can reset the
phone back to its original state quite easily.

Be sure to do a full backup first before
doing anything.

Carniphage

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Sheffield, England
My only concern would be that if you
started with, say 3.1.2, when you restore
it will upgrade to the newest firmware
which you will not be able to jailbreak again
at the moment.

I am no expert on this stuff.
But you can restore back to where you started. If you have the firmware available.

C.

Cinemagic

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2007
Ever since jailbreaking, my iPhone 3g's battery life is really crappy.

Is this a known issue with jailbreaking?

My WiFi and Bluetooth are turned on. No difference in battery life from before and after jailbreaking. Just be sure that if you installed MyFi, that you keep it off unless you are actually tethering. MyFi will suck the life out of your iPhone.

pkdoyle

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2010
Plano, TX
I found this thread yesterday.
So the theory to get MiWi running is.
1) Download the MiWi file from somewhere. It is a Cydia (DEB) package.
2) Open up the DEB file and turn it into a IPA file.
3) Use XCode, Crappstore and this new IPA to install it onto an non-jailbroken phone.

So Carniphage could you expand on #3 a little? I have seen videos that say to extract the MyWi.app from the DEB file and just drop it in your iTunes app window and Presto! iTunes converts it to an IPA for you.

This has not been my experience with iTunes 9.1. Nothings happens.
Did you do this in another way?

Carniphage

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Sheffield, England
So Carniphage could you expand on #3 a little? I have seen videos that say to extract the MyWi.app from the DEB file and just drop it in your iTunes app window and Presto! iTunes converts it to an IPA for you.

This has not been my experience with iTunes 9.1. Nothings happens.
Did you do this in another way?

Step 2 involves running a CLI command to expand the DEB - to reveal the app.
Dragging the app into iTunes (no longer) creates an ipa.
The IPA file seems to be just a ZIP file containing the app, the icon and some other pref data. I think this is where I am going wrong.

Step 3 is dragging the IPA file into the Crappstore project and building it.

C.

iTzChasE

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2008
Quick question. I've been using MyWi for awhile and is there anyway to reset the usage? When ever I turn it on, it has my old data usage as well. I would like to reset this every month so I know how much Data I use that month.

Thanks. :)
I'm on my iPad right now using MyWi.

ciaran00

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2010
FYI,

Never disable the MyWi Mobilesubstrate addon inside SBSettings. Don't do it :)

Uninstall should treat you ok if you really wanna uninstall.

Daremo

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2007
Chicago
Step 2 involves running a CLI command to expand the DEB - to reveal the app.
Dragging the app into iTunes (no longer) creates an ipa.
The IPA file seems to be just a ZIP file containing the app, the icon and some other pref data. I think this is where I am going wrong.

Step 3 is dragging the IPA file into the Crappstore project and building it.

C.

I have the same MyFi build as you, CrappStore, I've managed to extract the .deb file, showing some internal files, including the .app file, and from here, I don't know where to put them in the Crappstore file.

So if I understand this right, the .app file INSIDE the .deb file, now needs to be converted into a .ipa file?

I'm so confused. :eek:

Carniphage

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Sheffield, England
I have the same MyFi build as you, CrappStore, I've managed to extract the .deb file, showing some internal files, including the .app file, and from here, I don't know where to put them in the Crappstore file.

So if I understand this right, the .app file INSIDE the .deb file, now needs to be converted into a .ipa file?

I'm so confused. :eek:

I am not much better.

As I understand it. The Crappstore will create a valid app - which contains the "illegitimate" app. To build the app - you need to drag the IPA package into a MyWi project folder and build.

So we need to create a valid IPA file from the app inside the DEB package.
As far as I can tell. IPAs are just ZIP files containing the app, the icon and some other pref stuff.

C.

Kawjumper201

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2010
Sorry I just got mywi so I'm new but what's the advantages to putting it on a non jailbroken iPhone. I wouldn't think you could upgrade with it to 3.1.3. R u saying u can install it on 3.1.3? Again real new go easy on me

OceanView

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2005
Sorry I just got mywi so I'm new but what's the advantages to putting it on a non jailbroken iPhone. I wouldn't think you could upgrade with it to 3.1.3. R u saying u can install it on 3.1.3? Again real new go easy on me

They are talking about installing MyWi on a non jailbroken phone using OS 4 for developers.

andrewb21

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2010
Los Angeles
YES you can jailbreak iPhone 3GS running 3.1.3 with Snowbreeze if you have an non mc (old bootrom) phone (meaning your model number doesn't start with MC)

Daremo

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2007
Chicago
I am not much better.

As I understand it. The Crappstore will create a valid app - which contains the "illegitimate" app. To build the app - you need to drag the IPA package into a MyWi project folder and build.

So we need to create a valid IPA file from the app inside the DEB package.
As far as I can tell. IPAs are just ZIP files containing the app, the icon and some other pref stuff.

C.

If you view all contents of the .app itself, you can see all the pieces of the app. Perhaps it's coping those, and putting them where they belong in xcode?

I need to find a way on the mac, to convert the .app to an ipa since iTunes doesn't allow it anymore.

Carniphage

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Sheffield, England
If you view all contents of the .app itself, you can see all the pieces of the app. Perhaps it's coping those, and putting them where they belong in xcode?
Don't think that is needed. All you need is a valid IPA file. Drag that into the MyWi XCode project folder. And build.

In theory.

I need to find a way on the mac, to convert the .app to an ipa since iTunes doesn't allow it anymore.

As far as I can tell a IPA is just a renamed zip file - containing the app and some other files. Try unzipping some.

C.

Phatcat73

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2010
Quick question. I've been using MyWi for awhile and is there anyway to reset the usage? When ever I turn it on, it has my old data usage as well. I would like to reset this every month so I know how much Data I use that month.

Thanks. :)
I'm on my iPad right now using MyWi.

Assuming your on AT&T, download their free mywireless app. It should be more accurate. Otherwise if you re using another carrier, they may have an online account for you to log into.

jaykk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2002
CA
As far as I can tell a IPA is just a renamed zip file - containing the app and some other files. Try unzipping some.

C.

Did you manage to get it working on a non jailbroken phone? Just wondering before wasting time finding all the files online etc., then build xcode project etc.

rtabdo

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2010
iPad and mywi really is amazing. I love it. Def no need for a 3G version when you have a jailbroken iPhone! Plus no monthly fees!!

oftheheavens

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2008
cherry point
Anyone know if PDANet works on iPad?

No it won't due to the fact that you have to have the PDA software installed on the device receiving the tethering.

On another note mywi is awesome for the iPad it is blazing fast. I bought a car. Charger for my iPhone so that i have a mobile hot spot in my car. And it is awesome.

Hey Now

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
I used MyWi on my iPhone 3G for 45 minutes yesterday, running the battery down from 90% to about 50%. I shut down the MyWi app, and then saw a few hours later my phone had only 20% battery remaining, and it was fully dead a few hours after that. This type of battery drain is not typical for my phone, and this has not happened after previous uses of the MyWi app.

I am certain I shut down MyWi, so I don't know what else was going on that would kill my battery so fast. Is this behavior typical? Was something left running in the background?

I have very mixed feelings about this MyWi solution. It's been buggy and now there's this phantom battery drain.

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
No phantom drain. MyWi tethering kills battery.

Invest in a iPhone charger such as the Richard
Solo or similar.

Hey Now

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
No phantom drain. MyWi tethering kills battery.

I know tethering uses lots of battery, but I stopped tethering and shut down MyWi at 50% battery level. The phone lost another 30% in a few hours - with no additional use of any kind. Dead shortly after. Something ate that remaining 50% of battery life, that's my point.

unkn0wnsoldier

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2009
Fountain, Co
I know tethering uses lots of battery, but I stopped tethering and shut down MyWi at 50% battery level. The phone lost another 30% in a few hours - with no additional use of any kind. Dead shortly after. Something ate that remaining 50% of battery life, that's my point.

For me, mywi always keeps running after I turn it off. The next time you use it, check to see if it is still broadcasting a wifi signal. Mine does. The only way to really stop it is to reboot my phone. Annoying, yes, but I don't really use it all that much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.