Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Carniphage

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Sheffield, England
Are you out of the House (if Yes continue)
Is WiFi Available. (if No continue)
Is there a cellphone signal (If Yes continue)
Is using your iPhone out of the question (if Yes continue)
Do you have your iPad with you(if Yes continue)
Does Paying $15 a month seem overpriced for covering this rare eventuality?(if Yes continue)

A: Jailbreak.

C.

OceanView

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2005
Are you out of the House (if Yes continue)
Is WiFi Available. (if No continue)
Is there a cellphone signal (If Yes continue)
Is using your iPhone out of the question (if Yes continue)
Do you have your iPad with you(if Yes continue)
Does Paying $15 a month seem overpriced for covering this rare eventuality?(if Yes continue)

A: Jailbreak.

C.

LOL!

So Logical!

Advil

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2008
I'm currently on a road trip from Dallas, Texas to Ames, Iowa. Riding shotgun with my iPhone on MyWi and my iPad logged in :)

Currently in the Kansas city area. Getting about 2 mbits on speediest and the ABC app is working flawlessly!

livenlaugh

macrumors member
May 11, 2010
Sorry for the dumb newbie question but, will I have to keep the ipad and iphone connected to each other to be able to use mywi or can it be done wirelessly? How quick are you able to access mywi? I keep picturing that its a long process to do. I would only want mywi like 3-4 hours a week and don't want it to be a hassle.

Star56

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2007
Sorry for the dumb newbie question but, will I have to keep the ipad and iphone connected to each other to be able to use mywi or can it be done wirelessly? How quick are you able to access mywi? I keep picturing that its a long process to do. I would only want mywi like 3-4 hours a week and don't want it to be a hassle.

No. The iphone and ipad are not physically connected. It is done wireless.

It is a very simple process and perfect for someone like yourself who only needs occasional 3G access.

livenlaugh

macrumors member
May 11, 2010
No. The iphone and ipad are not physically connected. It is done wireless.

It is a very simple process and perfect for someone like yourself who only needs occasional 3G access.

My iphone has the 3.1.3 and the first few posts says its not possible to jailbreak it while later it says it can be jb with spirit. Is that true?

livenlaugh

macrumors member
May 11, 2010
I'm a newbie when it comes to technical computer stuff, I came here to say that I got my iPad today and used spirit and mywi w/ rock and it's amazing. Was very simple for me and I'm on 3.1.3. I had to test it out so I brought it with me when I went to walmart and it rocks!!!!!! This will save me tons!!:D:D

T4R06

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2007
CT
That is why I sold my wifi... It is really PITA using iPhone and wifi combo..

Sold the wifi over CL or eBay. Its not late yet. You can still sold it for the price you bought it. Thetn go for 64GB 3G

ErikX

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2009
Stops working after a few minutes

I use MyWi on a Iphone 3G to get internet access on my Ipad. It does work, but only for a few minutes at a time. After 3-5 minutes the connection just dies. There are no error messages, and nothing else that indicates something is wrong. To get network back I have to tunrn wifi off/on on my Ipad, and use the Fix Tethering option in MyWi. Annoying..

prettibwoy

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2009
has anyone tried connecting their blackberry or other mobile device to their mywi connection on the iphone? i can get my ipad and laptop to connect to the iphone wifi immideately but the blackberry doesnt even see the network when searching. any help please

Carniphage

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Sheffield, England
How bad does it make the battery life on your iphone? I'm considering using it on my 3GS with an iPad, is it terrible?

It *was* bad. A couple of hours use with MyWi would take a charge down from 100% to 20%

However, the (very) new version of MyWi has a variable power setting. I can't see why you'd want more than minimal power. Set it to 30% - and I think you'd get 5 or 6 hours of sharing.

C.

LastZion

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2006
It *was* bad. A couple of hours use with MyWi would take a charge down from 100% to 20%

However, the (very) new version of MyWi has a variable power setting. I can't see why you'd want more than minimal power. Set it to 30% - and I think you'd get 5 or 6 hours of sharing.

C.

Awesome, just got my Ipad yesterday. Waiting patiently for the 4.0 jailbreak, $20 for the app now, still well worth it :)

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Excellent!

Kudos! Now I'm waiting for the iPhone Dev Team to release the jailbreak for iPhone 4 iOS4 to tether my iPad. :D

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
$20 bucks for the MyWi app now?

Yup, unless you are upgrading from the previous
version then it is $10.

Well worth the $20 cost. You are saving hundreds
per year in tethering costs.

BTW, Spoke to the company. Anyone having disconnect
problems with the new version should download the update
as it takes care of all the problematic issues that buyers
were initially having. Way to go!

antster94

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2010
London, UK

C.

Ok cool thanks, I think that I am going to try to have my iphone plugged into a wall then whilst I use it for MyWi.

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
Carniphage,

Thank Goodness you see the light.

My God, $20 is NOTHING compared
to what you are saving in tethering
costs from AT&T each month.

aohus

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2010
sky
LOL @ all the mywi + ipad folks. What a terrible way to tether

I tether via bluetooth, and I am able to get perfect 3G speeds from Verizon. (without paying for tethering plan)

You can tether using any smartphone / dumbphone (provided that phone has bluetooth capability + data plan) iPhone currently not supported, but currently in the works to be supported by ibluever.

App is called 'ibluever' and is only $5 compared to the horsecrap you call mywi which is $20.

go to ibluever.blogspot.com for bluetooth dun capabilities.

One benefit i get from using this is the AMPLE battery life I get while tethered.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.