Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TigeRick

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2012
Malaysia
It is surprising that there is no update on iPad lineup in 2023. I suspect there might be big changes coming and when the rumors of OLED and 12.9 iPad Air comes out, I am trying to pull everything together below with speculated pricing: -

2023SpecsSRP2024 ?Specs ?SRP ?
iPad 10th GenA14, 4GB + 64GB$449iPad 11th GenM1, 8GB + 64GB$449
iPad Mini 6th GenA15, 4GB + 64GB$499iPad Mini 7th GenA18, 8GB + 128GB$599
iPad Air 5th GenM1, 8GB + 64GB$599iPad Air 6th Gen 10.9-inchM2, 8GB + 128GB$699
iPad Air 6th Gen 12.9-inchM2, 8GB + 128GB$899
iPad Pro 11-inch 4th GenM2, 8GB + 128GB$799iPad Pro 11-inch OLEDM3, 8GB + 256GB$999
iPad Pro 12.9-inch 6th GenM2, 8GB + 128GB$1099iPad Pro 13-inch OLEDM3, 8GB + 256GB$1199

Well, the suspected lineup seems logical and very Apple way....to increase prices 😅

MBP14 with M3 indicates that Apple will position M3 to be higher tier than M2 MBA with price increment of $300 to justify miniLED.

I believe Apple will use ProMotion on upcoming iPad Mini and Air to justify increment of $100. Of course, iPad Air 12.9-inch will slot in between Air 10.9 and Pro lineup..

The new lineup actually looks similar to iPhone lineup with 2 screen sizes and normal + Pro segmentation.

What do you guys think??? If you have different opinions, feel free to let me know...

Last edited:

gpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2011
Italy
iPad 11 = either A15 or A16.
iPad Mini 7 = either A16 or A17 Pro or even binned A17.
iPad Air = M2.
iPad Pro = M3.

If Apple actually stayed hungry and foolish, we would see an iPad Mini Studio 8" with M3 and an extensive camera system (beyond iPhone Max) and it would be the definitive tool for videomakers.
Won't happen, but a man can dream, right?

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017

Well, my speculation is up even before Gurman's leaks...:D

And I strongly believe Apple is holding iPad updates because Apple is waiting for OLED display and M3 for upcoming iPad Pro. Once iPad Pro is released, Apple will release whole lineup from top to bottom....:cool:
I was thinking more because TSMC is going flat out to produce the M3 series and A17 Pro, and they've prioritised the MacBooks and iPhone. That would also mean keeping the Air back for a bit so it doesn't have chip parity with the iPad Pro over the Christmas shopping season. The mini could have been updated with the A16 chip, but that's almost not even worth doing, particularly if it's going to go another 24+ months between updates, better to wait until it can get an A17, with 8GB RAM and ray tracing, that's a more substantial upgrade. The regular iPad is the most surprising, even if they didn't introduce an 11th gen, I thought they might discontinue the ageing 9th gen and drop the price of the 10th gen to $399 or something.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I don't think we will see much difference in the models aside from the OLED iPad pros

Be good if 16GB of ram was standard for the iPad pros but I get it won't be

I'm interested on this new magic keyboard being like the mac and having a bigger trackpad

sailingHobbit

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2022
Germany
I believe Apple will use ProMotion on upcoming iPad Mini and Air to justify increment of $100. Of course, iPad Air 12.9-inch will slot in between Air 10.9 and Pro lineup..
I don't think Apple will do that any time soon. Outside the Apple bubble you can have 90+ Hz at basically every price range for phones, tablets and laptops. It's just their way to push more people to the more expensive Pro models. I know some people think the new differentiation between Pro and non-Pro display will be OLED vs. LCD, but that argument is invalidated as soon as you look at the Mac lineup: the Pro models have Mini-LED AND ProMotion. The non-Pro models have neither.

iPadified

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2017
A Ctrl-Alt-Delete of the iPad lineup is needed so a large spring event without any Macs to disturb the story would be great.

iPad: AX devices: 9, 11, 13 inch, for the majority
iPad Pro/studio: MX devices: 12 and 14 inch, less price sensitive people
iPad SE: AX-1 or -2, 10 inch, robust, budget device

I am likely one of the few who want a Mini with the iPhone Pro Max camera system.

kiranmk2

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2008
I'm curious why the iPad didn't get updated this year (I was expected a simple A14-->A15 bump and BT 5.3). With that said I can't see too much changing in 2024:

Pro Line - OLED displays allowing a small screen size increase to 11.1" and 13.0", M3 chip with 8 GB RAM. Potentially 256 GB starting storage (with a price bump as soon with the iPhone Pro Max)

Air Line - Remaining with LCD at 10.9", M3 chip with 8 GB RAM (unless Apple are being really stingy and use M2). if the iPad Pro is bumped to 256 GB starting storage, the Air will be bumped to 128 GB (with a price increase).

Mini Line - Remaining with LCD at 8.3". Chip is interesting as the Mini is basically a smaller Air. Could this get a down-clocked, binned M3/M2 chip too or will it just get an A chip?

iPad line - Same display, with A15 chip (which is still produced for iPhone 13 and Apple TV)

mandopicker101

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2022
A Ctrl-Alt-Delete of the iPad lineup is needed so a large spring event without any Macs to disturb the story would be great.

iPad: AX devices: 9, 11, 13 inch, for the majority
iPad Pro/studio: MX devices: 12 and 14 inch, less price sensitive people
iPad SE: AX-1 or -2, 10 inch, robust, budget device

I am likely one of the few who want a Mini with the iPhone Pro Max camera system.
Definitely a good model that aligns better with phone, Watch and Mac lines.

Consumer, Prosumer, Pro. The Prosumer (Air) definitely looks compelling and better supported if it shares more characteristics with the Pro.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
I'm curious why the iPad didn't get updated this year (I was expected a simple A14-->A15 bump and BT 5.3). With that said I can't see too much changing in 2024:

Pro Line - OLED displays allowing a small screen size increase to 11.1" and 13.0", M3 chip with 8 GB RAM. Potentially 256 GB starting storage (with a price bump as soon with the iPhone Pro Max)

Air Line - Remaining with LCD at 10.9", M3 chip with 8 GB RAM (unless Apple are being really stingy and use M2). if the iPad Pro is bumped to 256 GB starting storage, the Air will be bumped to 128 GB (with a price increase).

Mini Line - Remaining with LCD at 8.3". Chip is interesting as the Mini is basically a smaller Air. Could this get a down-clocked, binned M3/M2 chip too or will it just get an A chip?

iPad line - Same display, with A15 chip (which is still produced for iPhone 13 and Apple TV)
No M3 for the air, no M for the mini, otherwise agree

Reactions: AlexMac89

mandopicker101

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2022

i agree that the Mini ought to be repositioned as an Air Mini or Air SE or whatever. It’s a great device.

geta

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2010
The Moon
At the minimum they should offer the Mini 7 with A17 CPU, 8GB RAM and 128GB storage for the base model for me to think about upgrade from the Mini 6.
But will likely skip the Mini 7 if the only difference will be A16 CPU with 6GB RAM.

TigeRick

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2012
Malaysia
I don't think Apple will do that any time soon. Outside the Apple bubble you can have 90+ Hz at basically every price range for phones, tablets and laptops. It's just their way to push more people to the more expensive Pro models. I know some people think the new differentiation between Pro and non-Pro display will be OLED vs. LCD, but that argument is invalidated as soon as you look at the Mac lineup: the Pro models have Mini-LED AND ProMotion. The non-Pro models have neither.
Well, Apple has been using Pro-Motion with 12.9-inch iPad Pro since 2017. It is safe to assume if Apple did release iPad Air with 12.9-inch LCD, then Pro-Motion should be standard. OTOH, iPad Air with 10.9's price should be $200 lower, yeah, that might be deciding factor for Apple.

I am also based on assumption that upcoming iPhone's standard lineup will feature Pro-Motion in 2025, let's see how Apple's decision on iPad mini and iPad Air 10.9 then...

• Haha

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Well, Apple has been using Pro-Motion with 12.9-inch iPad Pro since 2017. It is safe to assume if Apple did release iPad Air with 12.9-inch LCD, then Pro-Motion should be standard. OTOH, iPad Air with 10.9's price should be $200 lower, yeah, that might be deciding factor for Apple.

I am also based on assumption that upcoming iPhone's standard lineup will feature Pro-Motion in 2025, let's see how Apple's decision on iPad mini and iPad Air 10.9 then...
Just because it’s a bigger screen doesn’t mean Pro-Motion will be standard. Look at the iPhone 14 Plus and 15 Plus models.. they have bigger screens, Pro-Motion is not available.

TigeRick

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2012
Malaysia
Just because it’s a bigger screen doesn’t mean Pro-Motion will be standard. Look at the iPhone 14 Plus and 15 Plus models.. they have bigger screens,
As I said, future lineup of iPhone will feature Pro-Motion as standard. And you are comparing 6.7" and 12.9", the user experience would be much difference on 12.9-inch if Pro-Motion is included. If you know Apple, this is something they won't change. The only question for me is whether iPad Mini and Air 10.9" will include Pro-Motion or not....

• Haha

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
As I said, future lineup of iPhone will feature Pro-Motion as standard.
Future lineup of iPhone? Umm.. when will Pro-Motion become standard on it?

And you are comparing 6.7" and 12.9", the user experience would be much difference on 12.9-inch if Pro-Motion is included. If you know Apple, this is something they won't change. The only question for me is whether iPad Mini and Air 10.9" will include Pro-Motion or not....
Yes, I’m comparing 6.7” and 12.9”. You can look no further than the current MacBook Air models versus the new MacBook Pros.. you should be aware that Pro-Motion are tied to Pro models. Not sure why Apple would go against that with a potential 12.9” iPad Air.

sailingHobbit

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2022
Germany
Exactly, it has nothing to do with screen size. With TigeRicks argumentation Apple would have put ProMotion in the 16“ MBP only an later in the 15“ Air but not the 14“ MBP.

TigeRick

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2012
Malaysia
iPhoneFuture.jpg

Here is display roadmap from Ross Young, you all know how good his prediction on iPhone's display roadmap is. According to him, in 2025 that is one year after new iPad lineup, Apple will upgrade standard iPhone 17's display to LTPO which means adaptive refresh rate. Both standard and Pro iPhone will use LTPO display, Apple of course will differentiate them by having under panel FaceID on Pro models.

High refresh rate technology is nothing new, most phone and tablet OEMs has embraced such technology. Some even on low end models. That's why I tend to believe it will be available on iPad Mini and Air 10.9" and remember this is LED display not OLED like upcoming iPad Pro...

Reactions: TheRealAlex

sailingHobbit

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2022
Germany
View attachment 2308514

Here is display roadmap from Ross Young, you all know how good his prediction on iPhone's display roadmap is. According to him, in 2025 that is one year after new iPad lineup, Apple will upgrade standard iPhone 17's display to LTPO which means adaptive refresh rate. Both standard and Pro iPhone will use LTPO display, Apple of course will differentiate them by having under panel FaceID on Pro models.

High refresh rate technology is nothing new, most phone and tablet OEMs has embraced such technology. Some even on low end models. That's why I tend to believe it will be available on iPad Mini and Air 10.9" and remember this is LED display not OLED like upcoming iPad Pro...
Your second paragraph is just repeating what I wrote in #7: high refresh rate is available since a long time and outside the Apple bubble at basically every price point. That only supports the assumption that Apple is not putting it in non-Pro models just for differentiation purposes to get more people buying the more expensive "Pro" models. Based on technical possibility and price considerations only, they could easily have put 120 Hz in the Air, mini and even basic iPad lineup years ago.

As for the first paragraph: even though Ross Young has a rather good track record for his leaks, I don't get why you assume changes in the iPhone lineup will directly reflect on the iPads. Just some thought on that:
- ProMotion: the first ProMotion iPad was released in 2017, the first ProMotion iPhone in 2021. That's a 4 year difference. If they kept that going, the non-Pro iPads would have ProMotion since 2021 (assuming the 2025 non-Pro iPhone gets ProMotion). So planned changes in the iPhone lineup are no indicator at all for the iPad.
- Screen technology: OLED is available on the iPhone since 2017 (iPhone X) and in the non-Pro model since 2020. So far there is no iPad using it. Mini-LED on the other hand is only available on the 12.9" iPad Pro and that since 2021. It never has been used in any iPhone. So absolutely no similarities between iPads and iPhones on that part which strengthen the argument that changes in the iPhone lineup have basically no implication on the iPad.

Last edited:

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK

it won't be lol

apple mindset is pro motion will be pro only. Even the non pro iphones aren't expected to get 120hz until 2025/2026 maybe.

Reactions: JPack

TigeRick

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2012
Malaysia
Here comes the latest prediction from Ming Chi Kuo:

Conclusion:
  1. Apple will upgrade existing iPad models and launch new a new model in 2024, but shipments are still far from the peak in 2022 due to the decline in work-from-home (WFH) demand and a lack of structural change in the entertainment and productivity user experience.
  2. Key upgrades to focus on include the M3 processor and OLED displays.
  3. iPad shipments in 2024 are estimated at 52–54 million units (vs. about 50 million in 2023 and about 63 million in 2022).
iPad Air (1Q24):
  1. Two iPad Air models, 10.9-inch and 12.9-inch, are scheduled for mass production in 1Q24.
  2. The 12.9-inch iPad Air is an all-new model, and while it lacks mini-LED, it benefits from an Oxide backplane (the same spec as the existing mini-LED iPad Pro’s), offering better display performance than the 10.9-inch iPad Air with an a-Si backplane.
OLED iPad Pro (late 1Q24–2Q24):
  1. Two new OLED iPad Pros, replacing mini-LED, are scheduled for mass production in late 1Q24–2Q24
  2. The OLED iPad Pros will feature an M3 processor and the improved form factor designs.
  3. The OLED panels for the new iPad Pros will adopt the Tandem design and LTPO backplanes (the same backplanes used in the iPhone 15 Pros), outperforming the existing mini-LED iPad Pro in terms of display performance and power consumption.
  4. Mass production will be delayed to late 1Q24–2Q24 (vs. early 1Q24 planned initially) due to production issues with OLED panel modules.
  5. If the price of the new 10.9-inch iPad Air remains unchanged, and the new 12.9-inch iPad Air is definitely more expensive than the 10.9-inch model, then if Apple wants to maintain the price gap between the iPad Air and iPad Pro to preserve its existing product segmentation strategy, it means that the new OLED iPad Pros may see a price increase.
  6. Shipments of the two OLED iPad Pro models will be 6–8 million units in 2024, with slightly weaker shipment momentum than the existing iPad Pros, possibly due to the higher price of OLED iPads and potential cannibalization from the 12.9-inch iPad Air.
More affordable models (2H24):
  1. Mass production of the new iPad mini is delayed to 2H24 (vs. the previous prediction of 1Q24).
  2. The new iPad 11th generation will enter mass production in 2H24.
  3. The iPad 9th generation production will go to end-of-life (EOL) before the end of 2024.

Reactions: LoveToMacRumors

thecautioners

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2022
OLED will probably pull me to the pro side… if my tax return is big enough 😅 looking to pass my Air 5 down to my 5 year old as her iPad is ancient. Obviously she’s not a power user but it will get several more years of support while support for her current one ended long ago. I’m determined to not raise luddites :)

gusping

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2012
I have a 2018 12.9 Pro and it is fantastic, but I don't think i can justify what will almost certainly be a price increase on the current £1,250 entry iPad Pro 12.9. £1,300 - 1,500 for an iPad? No chance. I think I will run my current iPad into the ground as the new iPad Air 13in won't be cheap either. May be just under the current Pro price.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
I have a 2018 12.9 Pro and it is fantastic, but I don't think i can justify what will almost certainly be a price increase on the current £1,250 entry iPad Pro 12.9. £1,300 - 1,500 for an iPad? No chance. I think I will run my current iPad into the ground as the new iPad Air 13in won't be cheap either. May be just under the current Pro price.
I have the 2018 12.9 and the M1 12.9. The speed difference and the screen difference are things I don't care about. And I actually prefer that the 2018 is thinner and lighter.
The only big difference for me is RAM... I watch youtube a lot via safari and the 2018 reloads all the time, so I almost exclusively use Safari on the M1. Other than that the 2018 is stilly amazing (again it's plenty fast and couldn't care less about miniled) and I use it more than the M1, but for Safari 4GB RAM is annoying

Reactions: iPadified
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.