Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gusping

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2012
I have the 2018 12.9 and the M1 12.9. The speed difference and the screen difference are things I don't care about. And I actually prefer that the 2018 is thinner and lighter.
The only big difference for me is RAM... I watch youtube a lot via safari and the 2018 reloads all the time, so I almost exclusively use Safari on the M1. Other than that the 2018 is stilly amazing (again it's plenty fast and couldn't care less about miniled) and I use it more than the M1, but for Safari 4GB RAM is annoying
I agree. OLED isn't a reason for me to upgrade as I don't want loads of tv shows or films (primarily YT as well). My iPad isn't slow either, but the battery is junk now. If it can be done in-store I may just pay £129 to get it replaced, but will wait for the new 13in iPads to be released first.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
With the price increases I hate to think the price on 13 inch

I think 11 inch might be more manageable price wise but still be well over what I think they charge now

Reactions: gusping

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
I will most likely buy the 12.9'' Air. It would be great for sheet music.

The 12.9 Pro is just too expensive when this is pretty much all i use it for. For everything else i prefer the Macbook.

This new Air will be very popular among people wanting to use it for that. The old one was too, at least for people willing to pay that much. Waaay overkill though.

TigeRick

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2012
Malaysia
I will most likely buy the 12.9'' Air. It would be great for sheet music.

The 12.9 Pro is just too expensive when this is pretty much all i use it for. For everything else i prefer the Macbook.

This new Air will be very popular among people wanting to use it for that. The old one was too, at least for people willing to pay that much. Waaay overkill though.
Let's hope Apple won't set the price higher than my speculated $899 which represent $200 cheaper than current iPad Pro's $1099...

ipos

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2011
OLED tv screen has this burn in issues. Not sure if future iPads will have the same problem

TigeRick

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2012
Malaysia

$1500 for 11-inch OLED and $1800 for 13-inch OLED....😅

Suddenly my speculation prices feel very generous for Apple 😂

geta

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2010
The Moon

$1500 for 11-inch OLED and $1800 for 13-inch OLED....😅

Suddenly my speculation prices feel very generous for Apple 😂
These prices getting ridiculous.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
I'm extremely excited for these OLED iPads. I've recently really embraced my iPad Pro and would very much like to replace it with an 11" OLED model.

I believe you will see a $200 increase on the base models for the OLED iPads. So the 11" model would start at $999 and the 13" model at $1,299.

The 12.9" iPad Air is a very big deal as well. You'll be able to get a large screen at non-Pro pricing.

Reactions: Matcha

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
Two things combined would make me upgrade from my 2021 12.9” iPad Pro;

-Larger than 12.9” screen
-Improved magic keyboard with function row

OLED alone isn’t enough or me. OLED will of course be a nice improvement over mini LED, but I’m not personally interested in just a 12.9” OLED with same keyboard and faster CPU than the 2021. The M1 is barely pushed now, and the 2018 is still a beast apart from, I assume, heavy video editing. The existing mini-LED on the current model is already fantastic, I’ve never quite understood why everyone seems to rag on it. Yes, there is blooming in certain situations, but it is nonetheless leaps and bounds better than normal LCD in terms of black levels. I think the moaning is classic internet, people who’ve never used it and have watched FUD videos about it.

As for OLED burn in, I’ve had zero burn in issues with multiple OLED displays I’ve used since 2017. I recall the LG OLED model before my 2017 had problems with it, but it’s largely a thing of the past unless you actively try to achieve it. Check out that YT vid of the guy who stress tested the Switch OLED, it took an unbelievably long time under the most ridiculously extreme conditions to burn in. And let’s not confuse burn in with image retention.

I love the Magic Keyboard. I bought two at launch, one each for my 2018 11” and 2018 12.9”. Hammered on them for years and they still work flawlessly with strong magnets and hinges. I really would like a function row though, something a larger iPad may be able to accommodate, fingers crossed.

Meanwhile, my 11” 2018 LTE iPP is still going strong, I intend to use that as my travel iPad until it explodes.

TigeRick

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2012
Malaysia

The upcoming iPad Air 12.9" certainly looks like cut down version of current iPad Pro 12.9". Based on my estimated starting price of $899, new iPad Air could cost $200 cheaper than current iPad Pro. You know Apple, certain features have to be cut to justify price reduction, I am trying to list down features might get cut: -

• Mini LED
  • LiDAR
  • Lesser brightness
  • Promotion ? (I still think Apple might reserve such feature; we shall see)
  • Ultra wide camera
  • ProRes
  • USB-C connector only (no TB)
  • Face ID ?? (Could Apple make FaceID standard for new Air lineup?)
  • Lesser numbers of speaker and mic
  • Audio Zoom & Stereo recordings
Well, it seems like if you are fancy about above features, then better buy current iPad Pro 12.9" if you are able to find good deals. What do you think???

Last edited:
Reactions: iPadified

iPad Bro

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2021
I don’t know what to do. I currently have a M2 iPad Pro 11” and I really want the new Pro, but the rumored prices of $1500-$1800 is a lot of money. If the new iPad Air has a bigger screen that’s kinda tempting, but I dunno. Would anyone here recommend a MacBook instead? This is coming from someone has absolute no experience with a MacBook in my life. If so, which one? Is the M1 still good?

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021
They will get OLED screens, a big price jump this year, M3 chips, and still be just as handicapped by poor restricted software for the size of screen and power being offered. If Apple do start the range from 1400 or 1500 they will have lost their minds if they also still run iPad OS, and no one should pay that much for such a restricted device compared to a Mac for the same price.

If they start the new Pros from 1500 I bet anything they will start the lower iPads higher too, if they change their specs, so say the Air if it gets a 12.9” screen I think will start from 1000 or 1100. They’ll try to do to iPad pricing what they did with iPhone pricing.

I wanted to edit a photo on my edit the other day, just crop it, then I wanted to save the new image as a different file so I don’t edit the original, I could not find anyway to do that on my iPad Pro, and Apple are thinking of charging you 1500 for a device like that!

Last edited:

Fraserpatty

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2015
I am sorry to hear that Apple is poss pushing the iPad mini to Fall. I want to get one for consumption use to save the battery life on my M2 iPad Pro, which I have no intention to replace. I am timid about getting the current mini because I’ve seen so many complaints about the display.

Reactions: LoveToMacRumors

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I don’t know what to do. I currently have a M2 iPad Pro 11” and I really want the new Pro, but the rumored prices of $1500-$1800 is a lot of money.
I’m curious... Why do you want the new Pro? What you currently have is not good enough?

I have a M1 12.9 inch iPP and I plan on buying the new Pro, but I‘ll prefer to see the features Apple plans to sell me on it before actually purchasing one. Because I don’t mind keeping my current one until Apple proves that an upgrade is worth it for me.

They will get OLED screens, a big price jump this year, M3 chips, and still be just as handicapped by poor restricted software for the size of screen and power being offered. If Apple do start the range from 1400 or 1500 they will have lost their minds if they also still run iPad OS, and no one should pay that much for such a restricted device compared to a Mac for the same price.
Here we go with this again. We get it… the iPad isn’t for you and that’s okay. But there are plenty of iPad users who don’t share the same thoughts as you and consider iPadOS efficient enough for their workflow.

I wanted to edit a photo on my edit the other day, just crop it, then I wanted to save the new image as a different file so I don’t edit the original, I could not find anyway to do that on my iPad Pro, and Apple are thinking of charging you 1500 for a device like that!
You can easily edit a photo… save it to Files app. Then go back to the edited photo to revert it back to original.

Or you can use some random photo editing app to do this.

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021
Here we go with this again. We get it… the iPad isn’t for you and that’s okay. But there are plenty of iPad users who don’t share the same thoughts as you and consider iPadOS efficient enough for their workflow.

You can easily edit a photo… save it to Files app. Then go back to the edited photo to revert it back to original.

Or you can use some random photo editing app to do this.

Hmm never said the iPad wasn’t for me, that’s making an assumption. I use mine everyday, but I’m not like you and refuse to never criticise its shortcomings, in fact I have made several posts praising it, and no you cannot change the name of a photo. You are making excuses to defend it so much it seems.

You also stated ‘workflow’, FYI not everyone actually buys an iPad, why would they? It’s a select very specific few areas an iPad can be used in for work, when a Mac is vastly more capable, and can be just as portable.

IMO you need to be seriously in need of that specific use case if you spend FROM 1500 on an iPad, that’s half decent MacBook Air money.

Last edited:

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Hmm never said the iPad wasn’t for me, that’s making an assumption. I use mine everyday, but I’m not like you and refuse to never criticise its shortcomings, in fact I have made several posts praising it, and no you cannot change the name of a photo. You are making excuses to defend it so much it seems.
Yes, you can change the file name of a photo… I’ve done it several times. I’m only going off the way you describe the task. Open a photo… edit, save it… place that photo into the Files app (this is where you can change the name). Then go back to that photo and revert it to original.

But if you trying to change it to a different file altogether, then that’s where 3rd party apps come into the equation... for instance I can go to FileBrowser app to convert a jpg to png (or vice versa). However, you take the approach as if it can’t be done. And I’m curious… what have you praised the iPad for?

You also stated ‘workflow’, FYI not everyone actually buys an iPad, why would they? It’s a select very specific few areas an iPad can be used in for work, when a Mac is vastly more capable, and can be just as portable.
Never stated that everyone buys an iPad… when did I mention that? I said plenty of people are capable of incorporating the iPad into their workflow.

Reactions: iPadified

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021
Yes, you can change the file name of a photo… I’ve done it several times. I’m only going off the way you describe the task. Open a photo… edit, save it… place that photo into the Files app (this is where you can change the name). Then go back to that photo and revert it to original.

But if you trying to change it to a different file altogether, then that’s where 3rd party apps come into the equation... for instance I can go to FileBrowser app to convert a jpg to png (or vice versa). However, you take the approach as if it can’t be done. And I’m curious… what have you praised the iPad for?

Never stated that everyone buys an iPad… when did I mention that? I said plenty of people are capable of incorporating the iPad into their workflow.

So you proved my point, you have to export a photo in essence just to change its name, on a computer you simply click on it and change its name. It’s gimped by software restrictions. And plenty of people may be able to use an iPad for their workflow, but that’s still not the majority. As for praising it, I made several in the iPads thread over the years. Not going to look for them. It’s a capable device but it has oodles of power that’s been restricted.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
So you proved my point, you have to export a photo in essence just to change its name, on a computer you simply click on it and change its name. It’s gimped by software restrictions. And plenty of people may be able to use an iPad for their workflow, but that’s still not the majority. As for praising it, I made several in the iPads thread over the years. Not going to look for them. It’s a capable device but it has oodles of power that’s been restricted.
And according to you.. the iPad is not a computer?

Never said for you to go look at threads... Simply, what praises have you made about the iPad? Or perhaps… what are your positives about the iPad?

prospervic

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2007
NYC
IMO you need to be seriously in need of that specific use case if you spend FROM 1500 on an iPad, that’s half decent MacBook Air money.
Once again I have to remind everyone that the “$1500” starting price is an ASSumption based on a rumor! Remember, the original iPad was rumored (probably based on a leak from Apple itself) to start at $999, instead of the $499 we actually got. We won’t know the real price until launch day.

And can we please stop with this silly comparing prices for iPads and MacBooks as if they’re the same thing? Do we REALLY believe that people walk into an Apple Store holding their heads in their hands thinking “uh, gee, which one do I get?” NO! Rational consumers make purchases based on their particular needs, and those who want iPad, KNOW they want iPad. Just like people who want a motorcycle KNOW they want a motorcycle (and not a car).

iPadified

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2017

If they start the new Pros from 1500 I bet anything they will start the lower iPads higher too, if they change their specs, so say the Air if it gets a 12.9” screen I think will start from 1000 or 1100. They’ll try to do to iPad pricing what they did with iPhone pricing.

Make a copy, rename and edit the copy. What is the problem really? Difficulties to find workarounds?

I am sceptical of these prices. We have no clue what is included in these prices. Given the 12.9 Air rumour (that likely is true), iPad Pro 13 inch could start with 512 Gb storage option. Another feature could be 16 Gb RAM default on iPad Pro. See also MacBook Pro vs Macbook air for comparison.

A 13 inch iPad Pro with M3, 16 Gb Ram and 512 Gb storage for $1800 is not a bad. You might not need these kinds of iPad Pro but others do.

• Haha
Reactions: Pezimak

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021
Once again I have to remind everyone that the “$1500” starting price is an ASSumption based on a rumor! Remember, the original iPad was rumored (probably based on a leak from Apple itself) to start at $999, instead of the $499 we actually got. We won’t know the real price until launch day.

And can we please stop with this silly comparing prices for iPads and MacBooks as if they’re the same thing? Do we REALLY believe that people walk into an Apple Store holding their heads in their hands thinking “uh, gee, which one do I get?” NO! Rational consumers make purchases based on their particular needs, and those who want iPad, KNOW they want iPad. Just like people who want a motorcycle KNOW they want a motorcycle (and not a car).

First paragraph is a fair point.

Second one I don’t agree with, someone may walk into a store looking for a 12.9" iPad Pro, and see the new 13" MacBook Air with more storage costing less money and I bet some get the Air instead. Unless they specifically need a touchscreen or Apple Pencil support then you have a point.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.