Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021
And according to you.. the iPad is not a computer?

Never said for you to go look at threads... Simply, what praises have you made about the iPad? Or perhaps… what are your positives about the iPad?

Never said it's not a computer. I consistently state its software is the handicap not the hardware, but it is a fact a Mac is more capable due to its OS. How can you not class it as a computer with an M chip in it?
As for praises, design, power, fluidity, speed, portability if outside a case. Gaming capability, longevity. Apple Pencil. Screen quality despite being LCD. And the quad speakers.

iPadified

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2017
Never said it's not a computer. I consistently state its software is the handicap not the hardware, but it is a fact a Mac is more capable due to its OS. How can you not class it as a computer with an M chip in it?
As for praises, design, power, fluidity, speed, portability if outside a case. Gaming capability, longevity. Apple Pencil. Screen quality despite being LCD. And the quad speakers.
You have a fair point that MacOS is more capable but for whom and for what? The new generation of user comes from iPhones as their first device and for those iPadOS comes with no surprises. Desktop OS is just for that: desktop work (laptop are mostly used in desktops) while iPadOS is more versatile in terms of work place (classrooms, cockpit, field work etc). iPadOS and the apps get better each year but I doubt it will ever be a copy of MacOS.

Have you ever heard the whining of windows uses forced to use a Mac of vice versa? Much more than between MacOS and iPadOS despite windows and MacOS being equally capable.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Have you ever heard the whining of windows uses forced to use a Mac of vice versa? Much more than between MacOS and iPadOS despite windows and MacOS being equally capable.

I like Mac hardware but I still can’t get used to MacOS. I have both Mac and Windows desktops and laptops at home but I’m on iPad 90+% of the time. At work, it’s 90+% Windows desktop.

With that said, I’m not seeing any need to upgrade to the 2024 iPPs. The 1TB M1 iPPs are plenty fast enough for my use. I’d upgrade from the mini 6 if the 7 gets a RAM increase.

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021
You have a fair point that MacOS is more capable but for whom and for what? The new generation of user comes from iPhones as their first device and for those iPadOS comes with no surprises. Desktop OS is just for that: desktop work (laptop are mostly used in desktops) while iPadOS is more versatile in terms of work place (classrooms, cockpit, field work etc). iPadOS and the apps get better each year but I doubt it will ever be a copy of MacOS.

For general use a Mac is better, one of the key aspects of a Mac is its file system and ability to have multiple programmes open at once and the ability to use them all at the same time, not like iOS where it lacks a file system really, and only one app, in some cases 2 max can be used at once.
Also the MacBook Air is most certainly not a desktop! That is making a convenience to suite your argument stating that, sorry but when it comes to work a Mac is far superior to an iPad, unless your specific use case requires a touch screen or pen input, but then you can plug a Wacom in for that on a Mac.

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021
Don’t see many mentions about the Mini? I think that’ll get the iPhone 15 Pro chip with its 8GB Ram, jelly effect fixed, maybe they’ll rotate the screen or something? Usual camera bumps, WiFi spec and 5G bumps. It’ll make it a great gaming device as it’ll support ray tracing then. the design will stay the same, and we can dream of it getting Pro Motion.

Last edited:

iPadified

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2017
For general use a Mac is better, one of the key aspects of a Mac is its file system and ability to have multiple programmes open at once and the ability to use them all at the same time, not like iOS where it lacks a file system really, and only one app, in some cases 2 max can be used at once.
Also the MacBook Air is most certainly not a desktop! That is making a convenience to suite your argument stating that, sorry but when it comes to work a Mac is far superior to an iPad, unless your specific use case requires a touch screen or pen input, but then you can plug a Wacom in for that on a Mac.
Define general use. Work for many it is one app only and that is the browser. In fact any user can only interact with one program at a time so the multitasking is a moot point. True multitasking is when processes runs simultaneously like a long renders, simulation and compilations. iPad is not good at that. If your are in fields requiring these apps you likely use a Mac/PC anyway for better compute.

Rapid app switching is only better on MacOS/Windows due to larger screen so it easier to have many readable windows open at the same time.

iOS has a file system but the access is different from a Mac. When I look in the Files app: I can put a files wherever I like, I can delete files, move files around and rename files. You can do all the basics and lets do back to "Define general use."

If a computer is mostly used on a desk (and laptops are), does the form factor matter? It is a desktop device. The distinction between a laptop and desktop has furthermore vanished with the Mx SoCs as they appear unmodified in all kinds of devices.

What is stopping me for using iPad only are the small screen and a few key 3D modelling apps.

iPadified

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2017
I like Mac hardware but I still can’t get used to MacOS.
I forgot to say the the reverse is also true. It took me years to adapt from Windows to MacOS and now I get irritated at Windows. Bias and user preferences exist in all directions but is seldom recognised in these threads.

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021
Define general use. Work for many it is one app only and that is the browser. In fact any user can only interact with one program at a time so the multitasking is a moot point. True multitasking is when processes runs simultaneously like a long renders, simulation and compilations. iPad is not good at that. If your are in fields requiring these apps you likely use a Mac/PC anyway for better compute.

Rapid app switching is only better on MacOS/Windows due to larger screen so it easier to have many readable windows open at the same time.

iOS has a file system but the access is different from a Mac. When I look in the Files app: I can put a files wherever I like, I can delete files, move files around and rename files. You can do all the basics and lets do back to "Define general use."

If a computer is mostly used on a desk (and laptops are), does the form factor matter? It is a desktop device. The distinction between a laptop and desktop has furthermore vanished with the Mx SoCs as they appear unmodified in all kinds of devices.

What is stopping me for using iPad only are the small screen and a few key 3D modelling apps.

I have 8 programmes open on a general work day all in windows I can resize as I see fit on my big screen. I can click on each Window to use them and they all update life in the background one in particular. I also use a file system that's fully capable and even lets me right click on ANY file to rename it.
None of that is possible on iPad purely due to its software.
General user is anyone who uses a computer. Because iPad OS is so restrictive in its use, you can't use a file system, you can't right click on files, can you have 7 windows on screen all at once in an external monitor on an iPad all live updating?

Please stop with the claim, that 'for many it is the browser', as that's just plain wrong. Their is a plethora of programmes and apps out in the business world that don't run in browser windows on computers.

Your attempt to define a desktop computer is hilarious too, people have laptops so they can grab it and go and use it anywhere, including their 'laps', but to suite your argument you keep on defending that. If someone uses an iPad at a desk if they have a keyboard attached, using your logic that also makes it a desktop computer.

If you showed the majority of office workers an iPad next to their PC's and told them to use an iPad instead, I think in a day or less most would go back to using a PC.

In the workplace an iPad has limited use scenarios, yes it works in some areas, but it does not work in all as stated in your last comment even, so to try and claim otherwise is just wrong. Generally you will find a computer of some sort being used and not an iPad.

muzzy996

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2018

Yeah, there's always going to be some level of sandboxing going on with iOS since it is designed that way for security purposes and sometimes that will have an impact on workflow. Although a file management app like Files exists that doesn't mean that the full functionality and flexibility in workflows exists on these mobile devices for all applications like it does on desktop operating system devices though. It all depends upon how specific applications are developed and whether or not they leverage available APIs and provide the workflows that users want.

I had a recent experience with trying to upload photos to a photo cloud service and their iOS app simply wasn't cutting it because it was developed to only upload from the device camera roll. Thankfully I could access said service via Safari and upload manually that way rather than have to import photos from an SD card to camera roll and then into the cloud storage app for upload to the cloud.

Reactions: Pezimak

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
the files app is definitely not a replacement for a file centric system.... It doesn't work properly with cloud services, it doesn't sync my Dropbox in the background like it happens on Windows and MacOS and not every app is made to use it.
For me however the main thing preventing me using an iPad as a Windows PC replacement (I don't want a Mac) is not iPadOS, but the lack of serveral software programs I need and use daily....

Reactions: Isengardtom

Isengardtom

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2009
For me however the main thing preventing me using an iPad as a Windows PC replacement (I don't want a Mac) is not iPadOS, but the lack of serveral software programs I need and use daily....
Same for me, and that includes gaming in my personal use case, as well as full blown Excel on the more professional side

Reactions: Digitalguy

prospervic

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2007
NYC
I suppose if someone is new to the iPadOS platform and is unfamiliar with its capabilities and limitations, they might see it as similar enough to macOS that they might ponder their choice. But once you have clearly defined your needs vis-a-vis the hardware on offer, the choice should be relatively easy. For me it’s not either/or, but both. Can’t draw or work in portrait orientation on my MacBook, just as I can’t compose music in Muse app or (fully) edit my Wix website on my iPad.

When people complain that’s too expensive, I ask them “do you really need the Pro versions of each device?” Save money by purchasing the “Air” models (and don’t forget Apple Certified Refurbished — lots of great deals found there).

Isengardtom

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2009
I like Mac hardware but I still can’t get used to MacOS. I have both Mac and Windows desktops and laptops at home but I’m on iPad 90+% of the time. At work, it’s 90+% Windows desktop.

With that said, I’m not seeing any need to upgrade to the 2024 iPPs. The 1TB M1 iPPs are plenty fast enough for my use. I’d upgrade from the mini 6 if the 7 gets a RAM increase.
Same for me. About 15 years ago I found MacOS superior to the windows OS but Windows vastly improved since then +
MacOS has lost some of its simplicity and focuses too much on features that are not needed and esthetics.

especially in terms of multi windowing, MacOS is not great. I even prefer iPadOS split screen over the janky experience with MacOS with the traffic lights and all.

A lot of it comes down to what you're used to though

Reactions: Digitalguy

iPad Bro

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2021
Do you guys think the rumored prices of the 11” iPad Pro ($1500) and the 13” iPad Pro ($1800) is actually the real costs of each iPad? I’ll have about $1000 when they are up for preorder. I thought about getting the 12.9” Air, but I feel like I’m just settling. If those prices are real, are you going to get one? I’m almost tempting to get a S9 Ultra instead, but I don’t know. I wanted a newer, bigger iPad since I have an M2 11” iPad Pro but I don’t like that size.

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
I am sorry to hear that Apple is poss pushing the iPad mini to Fall. I want to get one for consumption use to save the battery life on my M2 iPad Pro, which I have no intention to replace. I am timid about getting the current mini because I’ve seen so many complaints about the display.
There is one huge thing that is keeping the iPad Mini going and possibly inline for updating, they are hugely popular with pilots. They are standard equipment for a lot of commercial airline pilots. They keep their airport tiles, check lists, weather reports on them they have them personalized and they take them from plane to plane with them.
Screenshot 2024-01-27 at 12.18.46.png

Screenshot 2024-01-27 at 12.19.54.png

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
the files app is definitely not a replacement for a file centric system.... It doesn't work properly with cloud services, it doesn't sync my Dropbox in the background like it happens on Windows and MacOS and not every app is made to use it.
Hmm, the files app does seem to work with OneDrive well enough.

Fraserpatty

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2015
There is one huge thing that is keeping the iPad Mini going and possibly inline for updating, they are hugely popular with pilots. They are standard equipment for a lot of commercial airline pilots. They keep their airport tiles, check lists, weather reports on them they have them personalized and they take them from plane to plane with them. View attachment 2341791

View attachment 2341792
Yes, I hear they are hugely popular with medical staff as well. They fit nicely in their white coats. But I think also that gamers use them a lot. There are several demographics for whom the iPad mini is just the right size.

gusping

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2012
It’s Definitely time for Pro Motion for the IPad Air series . The customers deserve this
Promotion is the only feature that would make me think twice about buying the 13in iPad Air. But.. I'm not caving in and paying Apple what will likely be an extra £500 in the UK for the Pro version.

Reactions: Clamjuice65

geta

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2010
The Moon
Yes, I hear they are hugely popular with medical staff as well. They fit nicely in their white coats. But I think also that gamers use them a lot. There are several demographics for whom the iPad mini is just the right size.

iPad Mini is here to stay! They just need to add more RAM.

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
I looks like I picked the right time to get a new iPad. I am not updating as my 2013 iPad has been retired for several years. I want to see what the M3 brings to the table with the iPad Pro's. I will probably go for the 12.9 unless there is a larger one. I want it to do double duty as an extra monitor for my Mac Studio. M1 Max. plus I want something with iPadOS. at least 1TB of storage. I have decided to go with the iPad as my 2nd 5G wireless device and trade in or give my 12 Pro Max to one one my family members. Verizon really really screwed up my updating schedule on my iPhones. I have been replacing them every 2 years. That is the interest free payment option they had, now it is 3 years. I have decided to pay off the 14 Pro Max early and trade it in on a 16 Pro Max. In the future I am going to use my Apple Card to pay for future Apple devices. Apples Trade in system is really nice. When I feel it is time to update my Mac Studio I can trade it in for a new one.

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
iPad Mini is here to stay! They just need to add more RAM.
More memory would be nice too. 256GB just does not hack it for me. I have an app called Equalizer Pro which I use to store personal music on my iPhones. My 14 Pro Max has 1TB of storage space 100GB+ of that is my mostly FLAC music files. I can load a whole lot more except Apple Music is making my personal files less and less important.

Reactions: Fraserpatty

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Don’t see many mentions about the Mini? I think that’ll get the iPhone 15 Pro chip with its 8GB Ram, jelly effect fixed, maybe they’ll rotate the screen or something? Usual camera bumps, WiFi spec and 5G bumps. It’ll make it a great ganging device as it’ll support ray tracing then. the design will stay the same, and we can dream of it getting Pro Motion.

And hopefully at least 512GB storage.

tomtad

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2015
OK prediction time:

In March:

New iPad Air and Pro launch, starting at 128GB and 256GB respectively and with (roughly) 11inch and 13 inch screen sizes
Both have landscape orientated webcams
New Apple Pencil launched
New Magic Keyboard with new form factor, aluminium outer casing, function keys and larger trackpad

Later this year:

iPad 9th removed from sale
iPad 10th gen sees a price cut
iPad 11th gen with faster processor introduced starting at 128GB
Original Apple Pencil removed from sale
iPad mini receives an update

Reactions: transmaster
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.