Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

azaleakong

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2021
Just encountered this issue. If the router is configured to 5GHz bands 149-161, the Wi-Fi intermittently drops off, preventing even normal use of the iPad.

Changing 5GHz band to 36 solves this issue as of now. So far did not encounter this problem on 2.4GHz Wi-Fi.

Reported this to Apple including solution and instructed them to report this to their hardware team.

Video

iPad_newb

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2021
I am seeing this exact issue. Keeps dropping connection on the channels mentioned above on 5ghz. Other 5ghz channels and 2.4ghz work fine. I am also not able to do a 5ghz Hotspot from my mobile android device. I am not seeing this issue widely reported, does that indicate that we have faulty units?

Reactions: Leanne12

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
How do you configure the router for different bands? I haven't received the new iPad yet.

iPad_newb

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2021
It will depend on your router but you can usually log into your router and change this setting. Do a quick Google on changing the channel for your router model. Most routers will have this set to auto by default so the router will pick the channel it deems has the least interference.

Sanlitun

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2014
I had the same issue and at first it was so bad I couldn't activate my Mini 6 until I chose a 2.4 GHz network.

I rebooted my router and for the time being it's ok. My heart was sinking dealing with this as I had not had this issue with any other new Apple device.

There are lot of weird little problems with the Mini 6. I also cannot log into my other icloud email account despite doing the 2FA.

Last edited:
Reactions: decypher44

iPad_newb

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2021
This is definitely a really strange issue. None of the other apple devices in my home are having any issues at all connecting to 5ghz wifi. I like the form factor a lot so hopefully apple support has some answers.

iPad_newb

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2021
Another member of my household has an iPad pro running iPadOS 15 and they seem to have no issues on any channel. Seems to be just the mini that has issues with those higher channels. I have an appointment with Apple on Monday to see what they say about it.

azaleakong

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2021
Another member of my household has an iPad pro running iPadOS 15 and they seem to have no issues on any channel. Seems to be just the mini that has issues with those higher channels. I have an appointment with Apple on Monday to see what they say about it.
It’s strange that I switched back to 161 and had no issues so far.

Kurousagi132

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2021
Singapore
It’s strange that I switched back to 161 and had no issues so far.
im using google routers so i cant set bands but im also getting the drops when the routers stray into the higher bands. I get long periods of wifi connectivity but suddenly itll have the same issues you guys are encountering.

Reactions: dubstar82

blackbirdz

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2012
I would like to report I have the same issue. iPad Mini 6 256GB Purple WiFi. Changing to channel 36-48 seems to fix the problem, but WiFi 5 Ghz is meant for channel 149-161 for better performance.

Other devices (2 iPhone Xs, 1 iPhone 6 Plus, 1 Mac mini M1, and other HP/Dell laptops) - have NO problem.

Do we all here get a lemon?

Reactions: Leanne12

iPad_newb

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2021
Took my Mini 6 to the Genius bar today and demonstrated the issue. The person I dealt with acknowledged and was willing to do an exchange as they could not confirm if it was a hardware or software issue.

There was no stock available for an exchange in my city so I had to return the device. They suggested to buy a other when stock is replenished. Pretty disappointing bit I understand they can't magically make stock appear.

Kurousagi132

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2021
Singapore
So I went to my apple store today and the genius there advised me to return the ipad and wait for an update before purchasing. He acknowledged the problem but apple it self does not.

Reactions: Tokyowalker

blackbirdz

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2012
Took my Mini 6 to the Genius bar today and demonstrated the issue. The person I dealt with acknowledged and was willing to do an exchange as they could not confirm if it was a hardware or software issue.

There was no stock available for an exchange in my city so I had to return the device. They suggested to buy a other when stock is replenished. Pretty disappointing bit I understand they can't magically make stock appear.

Did they test your iPad in their WiFi 5 Ghz network?

blackbirdz

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2012

Could this affect iPad model sold in Asia only? Most users in US do not seem to have this issue.

iPad_newb

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2021
Did they test your iPad in their WiFi 5 Ghz network?
Nope, the tech noted that he thought their Apple Store WiFi was only 2.4ghz. Thankfully my mobile device has the option to hotspot using 5ghz so I was able to replicate the issue in store. I had also taken a short video of the issue with me to the store just in case.

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
I typically use DFS channels, and have not had a problem with disconnects.

Just a thought: channels 149-161 are higher power than channels 36-48. This is both a good thing and a bad thing. It is good if you want more range, but it is bad in that you are more likely to get interference from nearby stations (as they are transmitting at higher power). Suggest scan or sniff to see if interference is actually your problem. Remember 80Mhz channel width is also bonding four channels together.

Reactions: ElectronGuru

zyrilth

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2021
Mine also has the same problem. When it was on 36, that was fine. But it kept dropping off every time when I connected to the router with 149+ channel.
The worst is 5g in my country uses channel 149+ by default. I hope apple will make a patch to fix it soon.

imdog

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2017
Disneyland
OP got my hopes up in the thread list side bar it showed "iPad mini 6 discon..." and I thought they got discontinued and they were going to rerelease with a proper screen.

imdog

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2017
Disneyland
Loving mine. Great device. Not quite like my 2021 12.9 but quite good.
I’d love it if it weren’t for the jelly scrolling. I have a 2020 11” that I guess I’ll have to stick with until they either fix the jelly scroll or the mini 7 comes out

azaleakong

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2021
Replaced mine with a new one through a slightly complicated refund/purchase process. Apple Store CAN diagnose this problem indeed as they told me that they found the Wi-Fi module has a problem.

Genius Bar couldn't give me a refurbished one like usual since they are only just released but the new one don't have the problem anymore even before updating to 15.0.1 (I'm on 153).

It don't have jelly scrolling either.

allandrick

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2021
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have recently been experiencing similar dropouts on my iPad Pro 2021 and this week now also on my iPhone 13 Pro Max.

My home wifi is 5GHz Ubiquiti WiFi6 and should be rock solid. Except for one thing I noticed here in this thread: people are reporting problems with higher channels. Then it dawned on me: the root cause is DFS:

Every time I’ve experienced a dropout there has either been an airplane or helicopter near my house - and radar is one of the reasons DFS (Dynamic Frequency Selection) exists - it forces your Access Point (or router) to change channels when it detects radar use (e.g.: when an aircraft flies overhead using weather radar).

I’m going to disable those channels on my UniFi wireless configuration and see if stability returns.
Cheers

What I suspect is happening is the IOS wifi stack is trying to comply to the DFS rules. Except it isn’t supposed to - the access point is supposed to band steer the client devices to the new channel, and that doesn’t seem to be working properly.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.