Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sodakar

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2021
I opened a chat case today, and was asked to do the below:
  1. Try restarting your iOS device.
  2. Try resetting network settings:
    Tap Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. This also resets Wi-Fi networks and passwords, cellular settings, and VPN and APN settings that you’ve used before.
  3. If there is any VPN or security software installed privately please uninstall it and then try using the wifi.
  4. Even after performing all the above steps if the issue still persists then backup and restore your device
    How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch
    https://support.apple.com/kb/HT203977
    Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup
    https://support.apple.com/kb/HT204184
Being the type of person who lurks on forums (haha), I had already done all of the above prior to even remotely considering opening the case, at which point, I was given the below options:
  • Reservation Service ⁃An appointment would be scheduled and you would carry your products to and Apple Stores or Apple Authorised Service Providers (AASP’s) for troubleshooting, help, issue diagnosis, and repairs.
  • Send-in Service - With the Send-in Service option, we’ll send a box, in the next 2-3 business days, right away to collect your device. Then we will evaluate it, repair it and then send it back to you.
I hate returning things, but I don't see why I should have to do so much legwork when it's within the return period. So... I'm going to return it and pick up another one and hope for a better roll.

Reactions: ElectronGuru

Amedox

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2021
    Tap Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. This also resets Wi-Fi networks and passwords, cellular settings, and VPN and APN settings that you’ve used before.
  3. If there is any VPN or security software installed privately please uninstall it and then try using the wifi.
  4. Even after performing all the above steps if the issue still persists then backup and restore your device
Being the type of person who lurks on forums (haha), I had already done all of the above prior to even remotely considering opening the case, at which point, I was given the below options:
  • Reservation Service ⁃An appointment would be scheduled and you would carry your products to and Apple Stores or Apple Authorised Service Providers (AASP’s) for troubleshooting, help, issue diagnosis, and repairs.
  • Send-in Service - With the Send-in Service option, we’ll send a box, in the next 2-3 business days, right away to collect your device. Then we will evaluate it, repair it and then send it back to you.
I hate returning things, but I don't see why I should have to do so much legwork when it's within the return period. So... I'm going to return it and pick up another one and hope for a better roll.
I did pretty much the same thing. I restarted, reset all network settings, reset all settings (return to factory), went to a genius appointment where they removed the OS and reinstalled it, and it still didn’t fix the issue. I don’t have access to my wifi router (google wifi is connected to landlady’s email) so my options were limited.

Ended up returning the iPad mini 6 today. They’re currently sold out so I’ll wait for another month or so and try again.

Omen87

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2011
Kansas, USA
This is pretty much how mine went. But it got sent up to a senior advisor. Did you put AppleCare+ on it? If you did, ask for express replacement. They’ll place a hold on your card and send you a new one with a box to ship yours back. My replacement just shipped this morning.

sodakar

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2021
This is pretty much how mine went. But it got sent up to a senior advisor. Did you put AppleCare+ on it? If you did, ask for express replacement. They’ll place a hold on your card and send you a new one with a box to ship yours back. My replacement just shipped this morning.
I had purchased mine at costco.com, so I was within the 90-day return window. (Thank goodness)
I wanted to pick up another one, but both the local stores and online website were out of stock.

I did find the mini in stock at various locations, but ended up choosing amazon, as they are in their extended holiday return window (returns up to Jan 22, 2022), which offers me a bit more protection from random failures like this that require time to troubleshoot.

shimafuguro

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2021
Same problems (in Thailand). Support cannot solve this issue.
Change router channel to 36 is solution.

paulinnz

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2021
Had the same issue in New Zealand, on Google Nest wifi. I received the iPad Mini replacement 3 days ago and it hasn’t dropped off the wifi once - fingers crossed ?. Can only assume the original iPad was faulty.

My experience: issue was with a iPad Mini 6 256GB, ordered direct from Apple to New Zealand via the Sydney, Australia hub. Wifi was cutting in and out a couple times a second so internet was very erratic and the Apple registration took a few attempts with server time-out errors. IOS version was 15.0.2.

1st setup from a manual backup of an older iPad Pro. We tried resetting the wifi, the network settings, then wiping the whole iPad and starting with a manual setup with still the same issue coming back. You can’t set the channel, or even force 2.4ghz in Google Nest wifi routers, so no work-around. We also had the same issue trying to hotspot to an iPhone.

Called Apple and explained the issue endured even on fresh, blank iOS install, they agreed to replace the unit.

Luckily, Apple sent a replacement soon as the original unit was received back to Sydney, so the whole turnaround was only 8 days from phone call.

Last edited:

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Had the same issue in New Zealand, on Google Nest wifi. I received the iPad Mini replacement 3 days ago and it hasn’t dropped off the wifi once - fingers crossed ?. Can only assume the original iPad was faulty.

My experience: issue was with a iPad Mini 6 256GB, ordered direct from Apple to New Zealand via the Sydney, Australia hub. Wifi was cutting in and out a couple times a second so internet was very erratic and the Apple registration took a few attempts with server time-out errors. IOS version was 15.0.2.

1st setup from a manual backup of an older iPad Pro. We tried resetting the wifi, the network settings, then wiping the whole iPad and starting manual setup with still the same issue coming back. You can’t set the channel, or even force 2.4ghz in Google Nest wifi routers, so no work-around. We also had the same issue trying to hotspot to an iPhone.

Called Apple and explained the issue endured even on fresh, blank iOS install, they agreed to replace the unit.

Luckily, Apple sent a replacement soon as the original unit was received bank to Sydney, so the whole turnaround was only 8 days from phone call.

Interesting about the iPhone connect failure as it was looking a bit like it was an issue connecting with mesh networks.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
I have found WiFi explorer to be a great tool helping to decide which channel to use:

Screen Shot 2021-10-23 at 11.44.27 PM.png

With 86 networks contending for channels I set my router to use channels that no one else is using.

Last edited:

MNGR

Contributor
Sep 17, 2019
Linksys Velop in Bridged mode does not allow me to modify channels, so I'm out of luck as well.
The lack of posts and threads across the Internet would certainly seem to match our assumptions about this being an obscure hardware problem. I'd greatly prefer to not have to deal with a return + 30-day wait to acquire another one, nor do I care to spend hours with support sorting this out, so I am really hoping a software update will fix it.
Also using Velop. As far as I am aware, not seeing an issue. We are about 10 miles from the nearest airport (Orlando Florida area)

rochambo

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2021
FWIW - I purchased my iPad mini 6 last Thursday and immediately had issues activating the device. Once that was finally done, syncing my account data was nearly impossible due to the connectivity issues I had. By Friday evening, the iPad was toggling between connected/disconnected every second. Unfortunately, we have Xfinity and cannot change our settings. I proceeded to do the network reset 2x, updated the software to 15.0.2 and nothing worked.

I was on the phone with Apple Support on Saturday bumbling through the same directives to no avail. Their suggestions were twofold: either go to an Apple Store for a technician to fix it onsite (the support agent suggested they were capable of fixing it, but could offer zero guidance on if it was a software or hardware issue); or get a new or refurbished iPad mini 6. Neither option seemed quite satisfying considering there are zero guarantees the reissued iPad would be any different. I opted to replace the unit and I'm currently waiting for it now... but... what's odd is that on Monday, the iPad suddenly started working normally.

No connectivity issues at all. Same thing today. It's perfectly fine. The only thing that changed was that I disconnected Find my device for my iPad on iCloud.com. I will say that removing the device on iCloud.com did not change the status on the iPad. Just now, Tuesday at 4pm PST after using my iPad for a few minutes (zero connectivity problems all day), as soon as I opened settings to check to see if Find My iPad had registered as being "off", the connectivity issues started again. Just now, it's back to toggling between disconnected and connected to wifi. I'm baffled.

Reactions: ElectronGuru

Amedox

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2021
I don't know if it'll help anyone who was checking in on this thread occasionally after experiencing the same WiFi issues, but I picked up another ipad mini 6 yesterday when it became available in my area, made sure it got upgraded to iPadOS 15.1 in-store, and have not encountered the same WiFi issue since. Seems like it might've been a hardware issue, or a software issue that got fixed with the last OS update. Good luck everyone!

jankm

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2005
I received my iPad Mini 6 on launch day and had some issues from day one and the issues got worse over time. Constant disconnects when on 5ghz on my home Eero network and using my iPhone 13 Mini as a hot spot also dropped connections quickly. My first call to support the iPad started working normally once they connected to it, they had me reset network settings and it worked for an hour or so. A week later I had to call again because it had been unusable for days. They scheduled me for a store appointment. At the store they ran diagnostics and found no issues but I showed them a video of the issue and they said no problem and ordered a replacement. The store visit was last Tuesday and Friday evening the replacement was ready. I picked it up Saturday and not had any disconnects so far.

Cc_LoveLife

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2021
I got the same problems. neither system update nor network resetting would work. This phenomenon is more unbearable than the jelly screen.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I've been using the LTE/5G only and it's impressive, never had a disconnect yet.

The problem is with WiFi connectivity, not cellular - totally different connections. LTE/5G is not going to give you a connection to your local network. Lack of (or undependable) WiFi connectivity is a dealbreaker level of issue.

Kurousagi132

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2021
Singapore
I see that apple still has not fixed the issue much less acknowledge the issue even exists. I had full intention to purchase another unit when the issue is fix but it seems it wont be happening anytime soon. What a shame, because when it works it my favorite apple device.

rivaborn

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2021
PSA

I had this problem with my ipads and i found the problem was with my network. I have about 30 devices connected to 5 GHz and i added 3 new ipads. The first worked with no problem, but the other 2 would continuously disconnect. It got so bad it started affecting other apple devices.

The devices all worked perfectly when connected to the 2.4 GHz band and they all worked perfectly when I took them to another location and connected to another 5GHz router.

Maybe these ipads have poorly designed network stacks that overload the router. Or maybe I just had too many devices on my router. For context I have a mesh network and have about 60 smart devices (smart switches, smart power outlets etc...) already connected to my 2.4 GHz band.

As usual, YMMV.

jon617

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2021
Same issue. Wifi fails consistently when the iPad Mini 6 travels from the bedroom (5GHz channel 60) to the living room (5GHz channel 136). Must shutdown and boot the iPad Mini 6 for it to connect. No issues with iPhone SE 2020 (same iOS 15.0.2 version), iPad Mini 4, iPad Mini 2, iPhone SE 1st Gen, and my other devices.

I have a support case open with Apple, will see what comes of it.
An update. My problem has been gone for the last 6 weeks. So happy the iPad Mini 6's wifi has been stable, always connecting to the closest wifi access point as I walk throughout the home.

I made no configuration changes whatsoever to the wifi network or the iPad, but these 2 things did change since my post 2 months ago: First, my iPad updated to iPadOS 15.1. Second, I updated the firmware on my mesh wifi access points (Ubiquiti U6-Lite and AC-Lite) to their latest versions, using the Unifi software. Anything could have fixed the issue, or perhaps the iPad Mini 6 bounced around my backpack and jolted a chip which fixed itself. Who knows. But, happy my wifi problems are gone.

Last edited:

wilyone

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2016
I received my iPad mini 6 a couple days ago. iOS 15.1 came installed. Everything was fine until this morning. Never ending parade of connect/disconnect. I have 8 devices in the house using wifi. Time to go and find the channel settings for my router. I had been looking forward to a mini 6 (my arms are getting tired of hold a 12.9" Pro) and have been keeping an eye on this thread hoping that I wouldn't have this problem. At least a workaround is already available for me.

Spankey

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007
NJ
Add me to the list of uses who have this issue. All devices work fine but iPad Mini 6 will start to drop Wi-Fi after a period of use. Full reboot will temporarily fix.

ysvsr1

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2013
Issue started happening to my ipad mini 6. It worked for last one week after my purchase date. Restart, network reset did nit fix the issue. Need to goto apple store. Mine is 256 cellular model. My home network use orbi mesh router. Changing router settings does not seem ok to me.

Brown Trout

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2011
Issue started happening to my ipad mini 6. It worked for last one week after my purchase date. Restart, network reset did nit fix the issue. Need to goto apple store. Mine is 256 cellular model. My home network use orbi mesh router. Changing router settings does not seem ok to me.
My mini 6 is doing the same thing. It’s a week old. It also happens on xfinity hotspots which in this area are bad.

Sikh

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2011
Hate to revive an old thread but ive had a iPad Mini 6 since release day and mine just started dropping network after being Updated to iPadOS 16 (16.1). My network hasn't changed and my iPhone 14 PM on iOS 16.1 doesnt have any issues. I have over 40 devices on my network and enough access points and coverage to not have wireless issues. I also made sure my 5ghz was "in the optimal channels" for the iPad Mini and still having issues.

I only noticed it when im doing something that requires consistent data (i.e. streaming video from streaming services, youtube, twitch). When my issue happens, I notice the iPad can barely pull 10 megs down or up while my iPhone right next to it can pull my whole speeds (600/35) without issues. I just put the iPhone next to the iPad and loaded up the same twitch stream and the iPad is stuttering until it drops connection and goes to sleep and my iPhone kept going.

A reboot does fix it but it lasts for another 15-20 minutes before it happens again. Since the only thing thats changed is software upgrade, im going to do a DFU restore to see if that fixes it and if not i will be taking it into Apple on Thursday (made an appt ahead of time).

Lets hope its Software 🤞

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.