Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
If it only happens in one orientation then it is almost certainly software. If it was a screen issue it would probably happen no matter what.

Avenger

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2007
Is it obvious when just doing regular reading in portrait mode? From reading older messages about the jelly scroll effect on tablets, I doubt one mini has it and another doesn’t. So I doubt exchanging it will do any good. I didn’t open mine yet. I’m contemplating what to do. Is it severe?

ScanTheNavian

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2020
The Guardian is the only review that I've seen bring this up:

Screenshot 2021-09-25 at 01-19-35 Apple iPad mini 2021 review the best small tablet gets stunn...png

Googling brings up other devices that have had the same problems. This is the first time I've personally heard about it. I'm so confused right now, it just looks so bad on my Mini 6. Can't describe how disappointed I'm right now. I'm planning on reading a lot, so having a weird scrolling effect that makes the paragraphs slant isn't the experience I expected.

Avenger

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2007
The Guardian is the only review that I've seen bring this up:

View attachment 1845784

Googling brings up other devices that have had the same problems. This is the first time I've personally heard about it. I'm so confused right now, it just looks so bad on my Mini 6. Can't describe how disappointed I'm right now.
Yeah I saw this one. It might just be inherent in the hardware. I’m not sure if I should open my tablet or just return it and wait. Is it noticeable during regular reading in portrait mode?

EHD80

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2018
For me it’s noticeable but maybe I‘m more sensitive for it than others. Will use it for another day or two to decide if I’ll keep it or if I’ll stick with my 11Pro

mochaty

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2021
I have the same problem on my ipad mini6.
I am very disappointed.
If Apple does not fix this problem within the return period, I am going to return this product.

Scrolling up will raise the right side, and scrolling down will raise the left side.
The easiest way to check is to open this page on your ipad mini and quickly scroll up and down.
You will see the pink bar squishy. portrait mode only.

Last edited:

Aka757

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2016
Houston
Using this iPad mini next to the 13 pro max, the scrolling is pretty displeasing. Makes me regret upgrading my phone! But my iPad mini definitely has the jelly scrolling, at least in portrait orientation. I didn’t really notice it in landscape, at least not using that test.

jbellanca

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
Ok wow, now I know the term for it. I noticed it this morning setting up my new mini in the Photos app. It’s like the left side lags when scrolling, like it’s stuck and has to catch up. It’s really distracting, but hoping it won’t be noticeable in slower scrolls maybe, or they’ll have a software fix somehow. We’ll see. I’ve never seen this happen on an iPad before. I wonder if some people are more sensitive to seeing it than others.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Ok wow, now I know the term for it. I noticed it this morning setting up my new mini in the Photos app. It’s like the left side lags when scrolling, like it’s stuck and has to catch up. It’s really distracting, but hoping it won’t be noticeable in slower scrolls maybe, or they’ll have a software fix somehow. We’ll see. I’ve never seen this happen on an iPad before. I wonder if some people are more sensitive to seeing it than others.

Do you see it only in portrait mode?

jbellanca

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
Do you see it only in portrait mode?
Yes. But, I just tried the same scroll in Photos now, and I don’t see it. But I absolutely did this morning. I wonder if either it was because it was busy indexing and downloading at the time, or maybe the lighting conditions where I was at the time, or I think I was on the iOS version that it shipped with before updating to the current iOS 15 version (it shipped with a version that wasn’t the released version). I’ll have to keep testing it to see if I see it again.

Edit: I can make it do it again lol. Scrolling too fast and I don’t see it, have to scroll at just the right speed to see it, but it’s still there. And yes, only in portrait.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.