Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GhostOS

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2022
Unbelievably baffling QA from a behemoth like Apple, the top tech company in the world who loves to obsess and emphasise over its products “quality” to release such a shoddy tablet ridden with jelly scroll and awful UI scaling. Like how does this level of terrible QA even end up being approved.

It was so bad I ended up returning it and getting an M1 IPad Pro 11 instead Which has been amazing.

turbineseaplane

macrumors Pentium
Mar 19, 2008
Unbelievably baffling QA from a behemoth like Apple, the top tech company in the world who loves to obsess and emphasise over its products “quality” to release such a shoddy tablet ridden with jelly scroll and awful UI scaling. Like how does this level of terrible QA even end up being approved.

It was so bad I ended up returning it and getting an M1 IPad Pro 11 instead Which has been amazing.

It's one of the rare times the "Steve would have..." line is still appropriate.

If he'd used one of these in portrait, it wouldn't have shipped.

It's not some earth shattering deal breaker, but it's something that a designer and product person with taste would not be ok with -- especially one with his temperament and attention to detail

Last edited:

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010

It's not some earth shattering deal breaker, but it's something that a designer and product person with taste would not be ok with -- especially one with his temperment and attention to detail

Steve also thought an Apple Pencil sticking out the bottom of an iPad to charge it was OK. We have no idea what Steve would have thought about "jelly."

BillyNelson

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2013

It's not some earth shattering deal breaker, but it's something that a designer and product person with taste would not be ok with -- especially one with his temperment and attention to detail

Totally agree. It could ship with other types of defects, as things did in the past, but nothing so obvious to so many people.

The most annoying thing for me is that is pretty much perfect besides this. I would love it otherwise. For me, it's like watching a footballer spectacularly dribbling half a dozen defenders just to screw it up with an open goal in front of him.

Last edited:

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA

It's not some earth shattering deal breaker, but it's something that a designer and product person with taste would not be ok with -- especially one with his temperament and attention to detail
I just checked my old iPhone 4, where the retina screen was its defining feature, and it jelly scrolls in landscape. He also let it ship with that horrible antenna reception issue. My 9.7" iPad Pro also jelly scrolls in one orientation, but not the other.

Steve Jobs would have...shipped it like that.

Last edited:

BillyNelson

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2013
I just checked my old iPhone 4, where the retina screen was its defining feature, and it jelly scrolls in landscape. He also let it ship with that horrible antenna reception issue. My 9.7" iPad Pro also jelly scrolls in one orientation, but not the other.

Steve Jobs would have...shipped it like that.
Landscape was not the primary use case with iPhones, portrait is, just like the Mini. Personally wouldn’t care if it jelly scrolled in landscape, the Mini 5 did, barely noticed it in normal usage, it’s harder to notice along the wider side.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Aside from the jelly scrolling what about the laggy keyboard when it comes to typing sometimes? Or the loose & wobbly hardware buttons?

Reactions: lyngo

dsusanj

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2008
Old thread but I just got the mini 6 and have noticed this weird jellyfish (looks more like a wave) does this issue happen on all 60Hz screens or has it been fixed or is it strictly a hardware issue?
Happens on all the 6th gen minis due to reasons explained earlier in this thread, there’s no ‘fix’. I’ve had it for a year exactly now and it does not bother me at all, mini 6 is still a fantastic device.

Reactions: Solomani

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Happens on all the 6th gen minis due to reasons explained earlier in this thread, there’s no ‘fix’. I’ve had it for a year exactly now and it does not bother me at all, mini 6 is still a fantastic device.
A fantastic device despite the loose hardware buttons, the laggy keyboard and the scaling issues?

Reactions: tomtad

dsusanj

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2008
A fantastic device despite the loose hardware buttons, the laggy keyboard and the scaling issues?
I don’t see or have any issues with the hardware buttons or the keyboard.

As for whether iPadOS could be better optimised for the mini, it definitely could be – but the current state of things does not impact my user experience much, or where the mini fits into my workflow.

culo77

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2010
Chicago
I have no issues with the Jelly scroll and don't even notice it.

I do have issue with the dang Home Screen Scaling.

Hoo Doo Dude

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2010
You can’t change refresh rates in IOS.

So I guess the majority of us will happily continue to enjoy our Mini 6 and others will endlessly be tormented. So be it.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
You can’t change refresh rates in IOS.

So I guess the majority of us will happily continue to enjoy our Mini 6 and others will endlessly be tormented. So be it.
It's nothing to do with refresh rates. Some 120hz displays do it and some 60hz displays don't do it. None do it anywhere near as obviously or badly as the Mini 6 though which has a cheap panel and that's the problem. You fanboys will never accept that of course.

Reactions: jimmy_uk
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.