Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Booji

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2011
Tokyo
IMHO I think people focus too much about using a iPad mini for everything. If you already got a desktop, or MBP with far more storage, you're likely to use the iPad mini like its a petite netbook of sorts, that's what is gone now with iPads. I use mine mainly for surfing, mail, entertainment, with some limited documents processing. You don't need a iPad mini to be a full featured computer supplement to a laptop or desktop if that is what you use also.

Exactly. The Mini is just too small to expect it to do everything. It is perfect for content consumption and light editing. With pretty much everything now either streaming or in the cloud, 64gb is enough.

turbineseaplane

macrumors Pentium
Mar 19, 2008
Would imagine I am not the only one that uses their mini more often in landscape, and a switch back would be an issue for us.

It wouldn't be at all, as it's really really hard to notice in the other orientation
That's why this has never been a major discussion point or frequent complaint with previous generations or other iPads

(for instance, that is the orientation on the Mini5 and I can find the Jelly, but I have to really really really work to find it)

Reactions: makingmark

brucewayne

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2005
It wouldn't be at all, as it's really really hard to notice in the other orientation
That's why this has never been a major discussion point or frequent complaint with previous generations or other iPads

(for instance, that is the orientation on the Mini5 and I can find the Jelly, but I have to really really really work to find it)
It is not hard to notice, especially in Books / Safari or an app like concepts scrolling a drawing with thin lines. I posted videos of all my devices doing it months ago.

And it has been a frequent discussion point on ipads, google search in a time frame prior to 2021 and there are tons of complaints on nearly every generation. From 9 years ago https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3869466
This thread specifically cals out the iPad 4 in landscape - https://www.reddit.com/r/ipad/comments/7v9i4q
Someone built a tester 5 years ago to check your device, specifically calling out iPads https://testufo.com/scanskew . I'm using it right now and watching my 13" MBP skew side to side (what would be portrait if the screen were portrait)

I get that your use case is an app that is best used in portrait mode but that doesn't mean that no one will benefit from the orientation that the 6 has.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

turbineseaplane

macrumors Pentium
Mar 19, 2008
It is not hard to notice, especially in Books / Safari or an app like concepts scrolling a drawing with thin lines. I posted videos of all my devices doing it months ago.

And it has been a frequent discussion point on ipads, google search in a time frame prior to 2021 and there are tons of complaints on nearly every generation. From 9 years ago https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3869466
This thread specifically cals out the iPad 4 in landscape - https://www.reddit.com/r/ipad/comments/7v9i4q
Someone built a tester 5 years ago to check your device, specifically calling out iPads https://testufo.com/scanskew . I'm using it right now and watching my 13" MBP skew side to side (what would be portrait if the screen were portrait)

I get that your use case is an app that is best used in portrait mode but that doesn't mean that no one will benefit from the orientation that the 6 has.

You win
Enjoy your iPad

Happy new year

dantracht

Cancelled
Sep 19, 2013
I've had my mini 6 for nearly one week and absolutely ADORE it. I wasn't expecting to get one, but got a special promotion since I am a new verizon wireless customer and they had one in stock for overnight delivery so.....what the heck!

So far....have not noticed jelly scroll, but I do use it in landscape the majority of the time. Doesn't mean it isn't there, just not something I've noticed.

I'm enjoying using it so much that I literally just sold my Air 4 today. For my use case, which is mostly night-time use and bed-time reading, this iPad is absolutely perfect.

Reactions: beansbaxter

FlyingDutch

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2019
Eindhoven (NL)
Technically all LCD monitors in iPad and iPhone have jelly effect, why only complain about new iPad mini? It should be panel quality is just bad and cheap kind, another level of cut cost.
That’s because it is Apple…
With every product with a flaw/defect/weak point, you will see thread like this on Mac Rumors forum.
Backlight bleeding, bending, PWM… just name it.
When Apple is involved, everything is exaggerated.

Reactions: Rafterman

dan98

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2013
That’s because it is Apple…
With every product with a flaw/defect/weak point, you will see thread like this on Mac Rumors forum.
Backlight bleeding, bending, PWM… just name it.
When Apple is involved, everything is exaggerated.
The stuff is far more expensive than non-Apple products, therefore the expectations are higher.

Apple should take it as a compliment that people complain - if they didn't care less they'd just return it and buy from a different manufacturer.

We've seen this 'jelly' effect on previous products, but this is far more noticeable and is a complete deal-breaker for me at this price.
Sort it out Apple.
(And they will...in the next generation)

vddobrev

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2016
Haskovo, Bulgaria
We've seen this 'jelly' effect on previous products, but this is far more noticeable and is a complete deal-breaker for me at this price.
Sort it out Apple.
(And they will...in the next generation)
Yes, I bolded what I agree with - a complete deal breaker for me too. I went with IPP 11", and then switched to IPP 12.9". The mini, as sweet as the form size is (and I mean I love the form factor) does not cut it in terms of quality. I cannot begin to imagine to be looking at its inferior screen for whatever tasks I have at hand. Otherwise, I would love to have such a pocketable iPad, but not with this screen.

SpecMode

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2007
NorCal
Just picked one of these up yesterday (the local  store had a few 256GB cellular models in stock and I sniped one).

I'm not sure whether to call it "jelly scrolling" or if it's just a horrifically bad refresh rate, but it seems like the screen just cannot maintain 60Hz for pretty much any type of scrolling (home screen, Safari, Books, Photos, &c). Behavior is the same on the 15.1 build it shipped with, 15.2, and 15.3 beta 1, persists after reboots, and no difference whether running on battery or connected to power.

I really want to like this thing; as so many others have mentioned, it's a great form factor, and so far I haven't noticed any non-display performance issues, but at this price point I would certainly expect better (especially given everything else it gets right).

NastyMatt

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2020
I bought one for my wife for Xmas and I have not told her (or the kids) that there is a jelly scrolling issue to see if anyone notices without confirmation bias in play... no one has said anything other than good things about it so far.

Maybe some people are more susceptible to seeing it or are looking for it. I think it's a great device - I'd happily have one (I have an IPP 12.9") if that was my size requirement.

RatedRSuperstar_Edge

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2022
I finally noticed the jelly roll on mine. Don't see it being an issue at all, if anything it makes the ipad more unique. I actually am quite fond of it and it's a very nice feature. Makes fast scrolling more stylish. Would be even better if the entire image would roll 360 degrees, the faster you scroll the more it spins.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Yes, I bolded what I agree with - a complete deal breaker for me too. I went with IPP 11", and then switched to IPP 12.9". The mini, as sweet as the form size is (and I mean I love the form factor) does not cut it in terms of quality. I cannot begin to imagine to be looking at its inferior screen for whatever tasks I have at hand. Otherwise, I would love to have such a pocketable iPad, but not with this screen.

5G. Wifi 6. Touch ID. Latest processor. 6GB RAM. USB-C. 256GB storage. Small bezels.

Find a tablet with those specs at a lower price point.

alyssap22

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2014
Do you think they will fix this on the next generation? The iPad mini 6 is literally perfect for me but the jelly is annoying. Need to decide soon if I am returning. I wish I was one of the luckys that don’t notice it.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
Do you think they will fix this on the next generation? The iPad mini 6 is literally perfect for me but the jelly is annoying. Need to decide soon if I am returning. I wish I was one of the luckys that don’t notice it.
There are only a couple of ways to fix it. The best one is to use a 120Hz display instead of 60Hz. The alternative is to change the orientation of the display controller back to match that of previous iPad minis so that the vertical “jelly scrolling” is in landscape instead of portrait.

In both cases the “jelly scrolling” is still there but less noticeable. I don’t think Apple will change the display controller. They are prioritizing landscape rotation on the iPad mini probably to match all the other iPad designs. I think it is possible that they will switch to 120 Hz but that has implications for cost and battery life. This leads me to believe that the scrolling “problem” on the iPad mini is going to be around for a while.

Reactions: jimmy_uk

Protozo

macrumors regular
Dec 25, 2017
I have the ipad pro 12.9 2020 and i bought the mini 6 for complement the pro at home… the performance of the mini 6 is horrible, looks like the screen and ios 15 is not optimized for this ipad, is really slow compared with the pro 2020… also de jelly effect with safari is horrible…

Thinking on returning.. :-(

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I have the ipad pro 12.9 2020 and i bought the mini 6 for complement the pro at home… the performance of the mini 6 is horrible, looks like the screen and ios 15 is not optimized for this ipad, is really slow compared with the pro 2020… also de jelly effect with safari is horrible…

Thinking on returning.. :-(

If you don't like it, return it. I really like mine but if I didn't, I would have returned it - too pricey to keep if you dislike it.

RRC

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2020
I’ve got an iPhone 13 pro and a iPad mini 6… the jelly scrolling issue really doesn’t bother me personally and I literally never really notice it.

As others have suggested, maybe some notice it a lot more than others?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.