Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
*Edited:

Just been to my local Apple store and thought I'd have another look at the Mini 6 display models to see if there was a unicorn display with no jelly. Nope, this is what scrolling up and down on The Verge normally looks to me. *These are not screenshots but a visual representation - some will say this is not true or not accurate but this is what I see (too hard to capture on camera or video and there is more blur).

It really is extreme, I don't know how some don't see this? Oh well....

1.jpg

2.jpg

Last edited:

yogeewan

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2010
well me being me with tech, went ahead and decided to pick one up anyway, even though I felt strongly that apple skirted on this display a lot for this price with the jerkiness that I still feel, when next to my pro iPads.

First the positives, this device as someone described it on YouTube is by far the most "toiletable and beddable" iPad ever. I find it extremely convenient in all casual aspects of consumption, I already have relocated my iPad Pro 11 with the magic keyboard to my work desk. This has taken over as the most attractive consumption device of the house, and the pencil has found its place on this device rather than on the pro for notes.

Unfortunately, the negatives that have been called out, scaling is definitely something apple needs to think of, it does get quite difficult to interact with many objects that end up too small for this size, as well as the corner click issues that have already been called out (terrible capacitative sensivity at the corners of the iPad). The jelly scrolling and choppiness has been relegated to a minor / negligible issue when compared to these two in constant use.

TheKommunist

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2014
well me being me with tech, went ahead and decided to pick one up anyway, even though I felt strongly that apple skirted on this display a lot for this price with the jerkiness that I still feel, when next to my pro iPads.

First the positives, this device as someone described it on YouTube is by far the most "toiletable and beddable" iPad ever. I find it extremely convenient in all casual aspects of consumption, I already have relocated my iPad Pro 11 with the magic keyboard to my work desk. This has taken over as the most attractive consumption device of the house, and the pencil has found its place on this device rather than on the pro for notes.

Unfortunately, the negatives that have been called out, scaling is definitely something apple needs to think of, it does get quite difficult to interact with many objects that end up too small for this size, as well as the corner click issues that have already been called out (terrible capacitative sensivity at the corners of the iPad). The jelly scrolling and choppiness has been relegated to a minor / negligible issue when compared to these two in constant use.
Thats an interesting take, I scroll way more on an iPad than tap specifically in the corners.

ScanTheNavian

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2020
Just been the Apple store and thought I'd have a look at the Mini 6 display models to see if there was a unicorn display with no jelly. Nope, this is what scrolling up and down on The Verge normally looks to me. It really is extreme, I don't know how some don't see this? Oh well....

View attachment 1906468

View attachment 1906469

Yeah, it became especially apparent after I had gone through every iPad in my local store and tried out jelly scrolling just to see the difference. When I got to the Mini 6 I had to use my sea legs to not fall on the floor. It looked like a joke and was not far from what your pictures depict. I'm enjoying my new Pro 11" right now and I'm glad I didn't spend a dime on the Mini.

tpfang56

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2021
Yeah, it became especially apparent after I had gone through every iPad in my local store and tried out jelly scrolling just to see the difference. When I got to the Mini 6 I had to use my sea legs to not fall on the floor. It looked like a joke and was not far from what your pictures depict. I'm enjoying my new Pro 11" right now and I'm glad I didn't spend a dime on the Mini.
I'm about this close to taking the plunge and getting a refurbished IPP (not now, sometime next year), but every time I think of my use cases for the ipad, my justifications for owning a bigger ipad—let alone the pro—disappear.

Aside from the rare occasions I want to type something simple and distraction free or use it as a sidecar display, there's not much I can think of that I could do better on the IPP than the mini or simply on my iphone.

Reactions: jacenskylo

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
Just been the Apple store and thought I'd have a look at the Mini 6 display models to see if there was a unicorn display with no jelly. Nope, this is what scrolling up and down on The Verge normally looks to me. It really is extreme, I don't know how some don't see this? Oh well....

View attachment 1906468

View attachment 1906469
It doesn't look anything like that. Those pics look like they are faked. You would see scan lines and the blur from the pixel response lag. I only point this out, as I feel that exaggerating the effect to this extent misrepresents it and is not helpful to others.
btw, I clearly see the jelly scrolling, but it does not bother me.

Last edited:
Reactions: jdb8167

ScanTheNavian

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2020
I'm about this close to taking the plunge and getting a refurbished IPP (not now, sometime next year), but every time I think of my use cases for the ipad, my justifications for owning a bigger ipad—let alone the pro—disappear.

Aside from the rare occasions I want to type something simple and distraction free or use it as a sidecar display, there's not much I can think of that I could do better on the IPP than the mini or simply on my iphone.

Don't invent a need. Either you need it or you don't. I feel completely at ease with the hefty pricetag as it's exactly what I needed and I'm enjoying it greatly based on what I do with it. For example, I couldn't motivate myself to buy a Macbook Air as I don't really require one. According to many it would be a much more logical purchase in that price class, but I wouldn't be able to use it like I want or need.

But, yeah, sometimes you get the itch to buy a new and shiny device, but that satisfaction disappears very fast. In those cases I find it best to not feed the desire and just move on. If it's something you can't be without then it will pop up again on your radar later.

tpfang56

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2021
Don't invent a need. Either you need it or you don't. I feel completely at ease with the hefty pricetag as it's exactly what I needed and I'm enjoying it greatly based on what I do with it. For example, I couldn't motivate myself to buy a Macbook Air as I don't really require one. According to many it would be a much more logical purchase in that price class, but I wouldn't be able to use it like I want or need.

But, yeah, sometimes you get the itch to buy a new and shiny device, but that satisfaction disappears very fast. In those cases I find it best to not feed the desire and just move on. If it's something you can't be without then it will pop up again on your radar later.

Funny, I did get an MBA, and it is basically the product for me because my entire workflow must be done a computer.

An ipad would be purely for leisure as an device inbetween my phone and laptop, except almost everything I would use an ipad for (media consumption mainly) would be perfect for the ipad mini. I'm still refusing to buy an ipad mini 5 and since I can't really justify getting a bigger ipad nor settle for the flawed mini 6, I'll have go without an ipad until the next mini hopefully fixes this.

At the same time, my last ipad was the mini 3, and I feel I never got the chance to explore the ipad's potential. Maybe I'll settle for the base ipad instead and try to find what other uses I can find for it before committing to an IPP lmao. I would definitely waste the IPP's true potential, but I can't help but be drawn to the ProMotion screen.

Reactions: ScanTheNavian

Coltaine

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
My wife's iPad mini arrived today.
I had a look at it, since I was interested to see the jelly scrolling in person.
Only a minor inconvenience to me, even though it is very noticeable and the display would be significantly better without it.
My wife obviously doesn't care and simply uses the device.

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
It doesn't look anything like that. Those pics look like they are faked. You would see scan lines and the blur from the pixel response lag. I only point this out, as I feel that exaggerating the effect to this extent misrepresents it and is not helpful to others.
btw, I clearly see the jelly scrolling, but it does not bother me.
For the sake of your comment and to not mislead anyone I have added the statement that these images are a visual representation and the effect is difficult to capture on camera (and there is more blur) but this is exactly what I see.

I wanted this ipad as the size is perfect but my launch day model was like this out of the box and instantly seen. I choose to return but when reading others do not see it and/or have had replacements that look less extreme I revisited my local store but all display models had the same visual defect (my opinion but Apple have acknowledged it and have said it's "normal"). If it doesn't bother you that is fine and I really don't expect my opinion to stop anyone making a purchase. Anyone who has decided to buy an Apple product will go right ahead regardless.

Last edited:

TheKommunist

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2014
For the sake of your comment and to not mislead anyone I have added the statement that these images are a visual representation and the effect is difficult to capture on camera (and there is more blur) but this is exactly what I see.

I wanted this ipad as the size is perfect but my launch day model was like this out of the box and instantly seen. I choose to return but when reading others do not see it and/or have had replacements that look less extreme I revisited my local store but all display models had the same visual defect (my opinion but Apple have acknowledged it and have said it's "normal"). If it doesn't bother you that is fine and I really don't expect my opinion to stop anyone making a purchase. Anyone who has decided to buy an Apple product will go right ahead regardless.

dont mind the corporate apologists here, the image you shared is very close to how bad mine looked. Yet folks will continue to think we’re just overplaying the issue

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
dont mind the corporate apologists here, the image you shared is very close to how bad mine looked. Yet folks will continue to think we’re just overplaying the issue

No different than the people here who say if you don't see it, then you are a corporate apologist.

BillyNelson

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2013
*Edited:

Just been to my local Apple store and thought I'd have another look at the Mini 6 display models to see if there was a unicorn display with no jelly. Nope, this is what scrolling up and down on The Verge normally looks to me. *These are not screenshots but a visual representation - some will say this is not true or not accurate but this is what I see (too hard to capture on camera or video and there is more blur).

View attachment 1906468

View attachment 1906469
That is almost exactly what I see while the screen is scrolling, thanks for putting it together.

rovex

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2011
Something else I noticed. Compact tabs on safari sucks, at least compared to the regular iPads, tabs are incredibly small, barely see the headings if you have more than two tabs opened.

Shame as it looks sleek on the larger iPads imo.

Cancelled
Mar 19, 2005
*Edited:

View attachment 1906468

View attachment 1906469
You're not alone. It's very drastic (to me), just as you depicted it.

It's Slantsville, USA.

Moeller_sasa

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2021
Has anyone had problems with the jelly scrolling of the i pad mini since 09/24 since the start of sales. I am very disappointed with an AW 7, i phone 13 pro, 13 pro max, home pod mini. can you give me the money back or how is it if you send it 3 times for repairs? tomorrow i'm going to an apple store in germany. can someone give me tips in this regard

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.