Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

khunsanook

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2006
East Asia
Just bought a mini 6 to replace my mini 5. I see the exact same amount of “jelly scroll” in landscape orientation on my iPhone 11 Pro and iPad mini 5. The jelly effect is inherent in the design of all three devices (and other devices with similar screen designs). But perhaps Apple should’ve oriented the mini 6 screen design so the “jelly effect” appeared in landscape instead of portrait because portrait seems to be the most common use orientation for minis.

Anyway, it’s a complete non-issue for me. The mini 6 is a beautiful device, and is the iPad I really desired when I purchased my mini 5. If you’re on the fence about a purchase because of “jelly scrolling”, don’t be.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Just bought a mini 6 to replace my mini 5. I see the exact same amount of “jelly scroll” in landscape orientation on my iPhone 11 Pro and iPad mini 5. The jelly effect is inherent in the design of all three devices (and other devices with similar screen designs). But perhaps Apple should’ve oriented the mini 6 screen design so the “jelly effect” appeared in landscape instead of portrait because portrait seems to be the most common use orientation for minis.

Anyway, it’s a complete non-issue for me. The mini 6 is a beautiful device, and is the iPad I really desired when I purchased my mini 5. If you’re on the fence about a purchase because of “jelly scrolling”, don’t be.

My only complaint about the 6 is that they upgraded everything except storage. Should have been 128/256/512 options.

beerseagulls

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2021
My only complaint about the 6 is that they upgraded everything except storage. Should have been 128/256/512 options.

I'm pretty sure that the 64gb is there to "encourage" people to pay more for the 256gb version. (just like how Apple continued to sell 16gb versions of iPhones until not too long ago) Most companies do this... back when I bought my Mercedes S280(W140 chassis), it was possible to buy this giant sedan with manual shift and stereo-delete(no stereo, only a black plastic cover for the stereo opening)

dlzedpiv6-jpg.251957

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
I'm pretty sure that the 64gb is there to "encourage" people to pay more for the 256gb version. (just like how Apple continued to sell 16gb versions of iPhones until not too long ago)
IMHO I think people focus too much about using a iPad mini for everything. If you already got a desktop, or MBP with far more storage, you're likely to use the iPad mini like its a petite netbook of sorts, that's what is gone now with iPads. I use mine mainly for surfing, mail, entertainment, with some limited documents processing. You don't need a iPad mini to be a full featured computer supplement to a laptop or desktop if that is what you use also.

Reactions: wilberforce

beerseagulls

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2021
IMHO I think people focus too much about using a iPad mini for everything. If you already got a desktop, or MBP with far more storage, you're likely to use the iPad mini like its a petite netbook of sorts, that's what is gone now with iPads. I use mine mainly for surfing, mail, entertainment, with some limited documents processing. You don't need a iPad mini to be a full featured computer supplement to a laptop or desktop if that is what you use also.

are you advocating that we don't always need to shell out an extra $150 for more memory on our Apple devices?

how can you do that? don't you want to contribute to the new yacht fund for Tim and other Apple executives???

• Haha
Reactions: bluespark

Barsal

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2021
Madrid, Spain
I can see your point, but I'm gonna have several games installed, so 64GB isn't enough for me... 128GB would be just perfect.

alyssap22

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2014
Does anything lessen the effect? Like a setting? Light mode or dark mode or an accessibility setting?

babyexercise

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2021
Technically all LCD monitors in iPad and iPhone have jelly effect, why only complain about new iPad mini? It should be panel quality is just bad and cheap kind, another level of cut cost.

turbineseaplane

macrumors Pentium
Mar 19, 2008
Technically all LCD monitors in iPad and iPhone have jelly effect, why only complain about new iPad mini? It should be panel quality is just bad and cheap kind, another level of cut cost.

They changed the panel orientation on the Mini6, thus making the jelly far more obvious (for many of us anyhow).

If they'd just change it back, we'd be back to this being a non issue really.

All that aside - I still would like a "next-gen" panel on the Mini7.

babyexercise

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2021
They changed the panel orientation on the Mini6, thus making the jelly far more obvious (for many of us anyhow).

Technically smaller screen has easier to see jelly effect, then why iPhone does not have? Panel has many different grades. Pro, Air, cheapest iPad already have 3 pro panel grades with almost same resolution. Seem like Mini panel is another level of cheapest worst panel in iPad history. Apple stock price wins.

Reactions: vddobrev

turbineseaplane

macrumors Pentium
Mar 19, 2008
Technically smaller screen has easier to see jelly effect, then why iPhone does not have? Panel has many different grades. Pro, Air, cheapest iPad already have 3 pro panel grades with almost same resolution. Seem like Mini panel is another level of cheapest worst panel in iPad history. Apple stock price wins.

Could be - I'm not sure

I just know that on the Mini 5 to Mini 6 transition, they changed the orientation which is highlighting the issue, on this particular product, vs its predecessor

babyexercise

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2021
Could be - I'm not sure

I just know that on the Mini 5 to Mini 6 transition, they changed the orientation which is highlighting the issue, on this particular product, vs its predecessor

iPad mini is more like a square. If jelly effect was that bad then some people should complain about landscape jelly effect too in old Mini versions.

babyexercise

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2021
By the way there are 3 iPhone, 1 iPad, 1 Apple Watch, 1 beats earphone at my home, I am not Apple hater for sure.

youchew

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2016
not exactly the same thing but does anyone else feel like the mini either stutters/drops frames or has some odd refresh rate issue?

I have a 12 Pro Max so I don't have ProMotion but for some reason when comparing iOS animations on my phone vs. the mini 6, the 12 Pro feels much smoother despite them having the same refresh rate (assuming both are 60hz)
maybe it has something to do with OLED or smaller screen size?

r0c

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2013
not exactly the same thing but does anyone else feel like the mini either stutters/drops frames or has some odd refresh rate issue?

I have a 12 Pro Max so I don't have ProMotion but for some reason when comparing iOS animations on my phone vs. the mini 6, the 12 Pro feels much smoother despite them having the same refresh rate (assuming both are 60hz)
maybe it has something to do with OLED or smaller screen size?
This exactly what i felt with my mini 6 compared to my 12 pro max as well. I dont care about jelly scrolling but not feeling so smooth makes it feel like its not performing as it should.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

bingeciren

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2011
While most people say that they use the mini mostly in portrait orientation, I use it almost exclusively in landscape. Safari web pages appear bigger and better in landscape for one thing. Youtube also looks better in landscape. I use portrait only while reading books.

As for the memory, Apple should have given us the 128 option. If 128 was available, I'd definitely prefer it. However, I use the mini mostly for consumption, so 64 seems adequate for me and if I need more space, using many of the cloud options seems a better alternative than having everything on the mini. Besides, using a cloud alternative, documents propagate to other devices, which is convenient.

Jelly scroll? Meh, not an issue whatsoever.

youchew

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2016
This exactly what i felt with my mini 6 compared to my 12 pro max as well. I dont care about jelly scrolling but not feeling so smooth makes it feel like its not performing as it should.
Not that it matters but I just enabled reduce motion in accessibility settings and it feels MUCH smoother and also faster now so I think I’ll just get used to this as I need this iPad for school (smoother because there are less animations to look at - obviously)

brucewayne

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2005

Would imagine I am not the only one that uses their mini more often in landscape, and a switch back would be an issue for us.

I suppose they could tick tock every other generation but that would be a hell of a thing to explain in a marketing meeting.

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
are you advocating that we don't always need to shell out an extra $150 for more memory on our Apple devices?

how can you do that? don't you want to contribute to the new yacht fund for Tim and other Apple executives???
Exactly. What are they going to use? Floaties?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.