Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheKommunist

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2014
It's iPad 12.9 bloom all over again. No one around here is ever happy with a new product.
Can you see how a statement like this is potentially offensive? You're basically negating the experience of myself and many other people that really wanted to like this product but couldn't get past a pretty major issue with the display quality. You're making it out to be some overdramatized "-gate" issue when its not, its not that we never want to be happy with a new product. This is a $700 device that has a noticeable difference in screen quality between comparable displays. Did anyone complain about landscape jelly scroll on the Mini 5? i dont think so.

People like you are why companies refuse to improve their products or respond to feedback, because you continue to simp for them and make excuses for stupid design decisions or cutting corners.

Hoo Doo Dude

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2010
Can you see how a statement like this is potentially offensive? You're basically negating the experience of myself and many other people that really wanted to like this product but couldn't get past a pretty major issue with the display quality. You're making it out to be some overdramatized "-gate" issue when its not, its not that we never want to be happy with a new product. This is a $700 device that has a noticeable difference in screen quality between comparable displays. Did anyone complain about landscape jelly scroll on the Mini 5? i dont think so.

People like you are why companies refuse to improve their products or respond to feedback, because you continue to simp for them and make excuses for stupid design decisions or cutting corners.
0K, so now your minority disatisfaction is the fault of those that can’t find a problem with the Apple iPad Mini 6?

Wow! So is the solution to have people who are satisfied not express that? Or do we have to pretend we’re dissatisfied?

Frankly, some might be offended by your suggestion. Not me, I’m OK with my Mini, delighted with the product and I wish you well in your quest for perfection.

Last edited:

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010

No, I'm saying its a g-d piece of equipment, a tool, and you expect perfection from it. Don't like it, return it. It's as simple as that.

TheKommunist

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2014
0K, so now your minority disatisfaction is the fault of those that can’t find a problem with the Apple iPad Mini 6?

Wow! So is the solution to have people who are satisfied not express that? Or do we have to pretend we’re dissatisfied?

Frankly, some might be offended by your suggestion. Not me, I’m OK with my deligted with the product and I wish you well in your quest for perfection.
I'd love for you to point out where I said you shouldnt express your satisfaction. Go ahead. Im happily waiting. No? Can't find it? Okay. Let me re-iterate since it seems like youre having a great deal of trouble understanding: I take issue with those who are "satisfied" insulting those who are "dissatisfied" by saying the issue is overblown or nonexistent

No, I'm saying its a g-d piece of equipment, a tool, and you expect perfection from it. Don't like it, return it. It's as simple as that.
I didnt like it and i returned it. End of story. "expecting perfection"? What are you even on about, its a $700 device with a screen quality thats noticeably worse than its predecessor. If you're okay with a subpar product for your money, thats your right. You are perfectly within your rights to enjoy the product and post about how you enjoy it anywhere, what I think is crossing a line is implying that those who are dissatisfied are somehow unreasonable for expecting a certain level of quality from a product that costs nearly $1,000 in some configurations.

I dont even know why I argue with tech people on the internet, its like shouting at a stick in the mud. Literally incapable of any kind of nuance or understanding.

I bet you two even defended apple for the butterfly keyboards "oh come on why are you expecting perfection from a $2,000 laptop". ?

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
its a $700 device with a screen quality thats noticeably worse than its predecessor. If you're okay with a subpar product for your money, thats your right. You are perfectly within your rights to enjoy the product and post about how you enjoy it anywhere, what I think is crossing a line is implying that those who are dissatisfied are somehow unreasonable for expecting a certain level of quality from a product that costs nearly $1,000 in some configurations.

I dont even know why I argue with tech people on the internet, its like shouting at a stick in the mud. Literally incapable of any kind of nuance or understanding. Ridiculous

Subpar? Noticeably worse? Says you. I'm glad you universally declared that, despite what is apparentl;y millions of satisfied users. I bought the 14 inch Macbook, wasn't satisfied with the notch, so I returned it. I didn't whine about it incessantly, like they personally offended me.

Reactions: bobcomer

TheKommunist

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2014
Subpar? Noticeably worse? Says you. I'm glad you universally declared that, despite what is apparentl;y millions of satisfied users. I bought the 14 inch Macbook, wasn't satisfied with the notch, so I returned it. I didn't whine about it incessantly, like they personally offended me.
Oh right how could I forgot that discussing issues regarding an iPad mini on the iPad mini forum count as incessant whining. Everyone should just not discuss anything in your book, lest it be incessant.

BillyNelson

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2013
Millions of satisfied users is not the usual Apple standard. Millions of satisfied users is the standard of companies like Microsoft, which are massively successful, but regularly churn out products that a lot of people would classify as crummy.

And yes, I have an iPad Mini 5, and to me, the jelly effect, only visible on landscape on that model, is waaaaaay worse in the Mini 6, like by a mile.

IMHO, Apple is to electronics as fine dining is to restaurants. You pay top dollar but demand close to perfection.

ScanTheNavian

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2020
So I went to the local store with the intent of getting me an iPad Pro 11" as it has much less jelly effect in portrait mode in comparison to the Mini. Just for comparison I tried out the new standard iPad and the Air 4 and was surprised to see that neither has portrait jelly. They both only have it in landscape. This was news to me as the iPad 3 has the same refresh orientation as the Mini and Pro models.

I feel like I need to some time to think this through as the 120Hz was a thing that pushed me to consider the more expensive 11" model due to the jelly effect. But as the iPad 9 and Air didn't have this issue, nor was it particularly noticeable in landscape, I have to reconsider the validity of a purchase. Of course you get much better sound and overall performance.

The one time I feel completely certain of my purchase... ?

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Millions of satisfied users is not the usual Apple standard. Millions of satisfied users is the standard of companies like Microsoft, which are massively successful, but regularly churn out products that a lot of people would classify as crummy.

And yes, I have an iPad Mini 5, and to me, the jelly effect, only visible on landscape on that model, is waaaaaay worse in the Mini 6, like by a mile.

IMHO, Apple is to electronics as fine dining is to restaurants. You pay top dollar but demand close to perfection.

No, I think millions of satisfied users is Apple's standard. They're in business to make money, pure and simple, no different from Microsoft or Ford, etc.

Reactions: bobcomer

BillyNelson

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2013
No, I think millions of satisfied users is Apple's standard. They're in business to make money, pure and simple, no different from Microsoft or Ford, etc.
I don't even know why I'm replying to this.

Use Microsoft Teams on a Mac and then tell me that you don't get that "this one thing is not like the others" type of feeling. Ford and Porsche are also there to make money, but most people agree that Porsche has higher build standards than Ford.

"I think millions of satisfied users is Apple's standard" is just such BS. What users depend their satisfaction on, for instance, precisely machined speaker holes? Apple does that because a) they can and b) they want to, nobody ask that from them. It's just the standard they hold their products to. People that are around before Apple's rebound in the late 90s remember what eye sores computers used to be.

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
I suspect the iPad Mini is a low priority for Apple. A lot of work to design, expensive to make, don't sell many, people don't want to pay much, and profit margin is hence small (relative to their other products).
Next "refresh" may just be a storage increase and another color, not even announced.
Next real model update will be when this one is so obviously out-of-date they just have to update it.
All just my personal guess, I have no information to support it.

Last edited:
Reactions: BurgDog

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
I suspect the iPad Mini is a low priority for Apple. A lot of work to design, expensive to make, don't sell many, people don't want to pay much, and profit margin is hence small (relative to their other products).
Next "refresh" may just be a storage increase and another color, not even announced.
Next real model update will be when this one is so obviously out-of-date they just have to update it.
All just my personal guess, I have no information to support it.

I wonder what sales numbers are now for the 6. Because that thing is still backordered into December.

Reactions: wilberforce

dgdosen

macrumors 68030
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle
Had the mini for more than a month now... This is the best ipad I've ever used. Hands down.

I don't notice the jelly (even after looking for and being able to see it). What I do notice is the 60Hz refresh rate and the visible choppiness of scrolling. One could complain about that, but most devices have that same issue.

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
I buy as many as I can locally and return them as part of my protest ha. All Apple had to do was not change the display layout and then maybe I could ignore the UI issues as well but nope. Bad screen tech and a terribly ported iPadOS UI...come on man.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I buy as many as I can locally and return them as part of my protest ha. All Apple had to do was not change the display layout and then maybe I could ignore the UI issues as well but nope. Bad screen tech and a terribly ported iPadOS UI...come on man.
That will have a tremendous effect on Apple …

Barsal

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2021
Madrid, Spain
I'm not sure how it works there, but here in Spain stores can find out if someone is doing things like that and stop letting them to buy/return again.

Reactions: sparksd
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.