Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crobcary

macrumors member
May 13, 2019
Atlanta, GA
I see it, but to be honest…it doesn’t bother me. I kinda lowered my expectations for the display, knowing that it was going to be living along with my iPad Pro and iPhone 13 Pro’s 120Hz screen. The form factor and its utility far outweigh something trivial that will be fixed either I’m software or physical exchange.

Reactions: philosophree

rulymammoth

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2015
Either I don’t have it or I don’t notice it. Either way it’s a complete nothing burger if you ask me.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
I tried a variety of text, including web sites, pdfs, news apps (viewing articles in both web mode form and reading mode form) and text based emails. I don't see it at all, whether I scroll slow, medium or fast. Vertical or horizontal.

Perhaps Apple is using two different display manufacturers?

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Either I don’t have it or I don’t notice it. Either way it’s a complete nothing burger if you ask me.

I don't have it either, but I definitely nottice it in the video in this article. So if I did have it, I would think I would notice it on my device too.

ofarlig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2015
Sweden
Not sure you should be concerned. Be thankful if you can’t see it. Because once you do, you can’t unsee it!!

I used the test and now I see it, but then again after looking at that test closely everything looks crooked even when not moving so it might just be my eyes :p

Reactions: dubstar82

ScanTheNavian

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2020
Yeah I saw this one. It might just be inherent in the hardware. I’m not sure if I should open my tablet or just return it and wait. Is it noticeable during regular reading in portrait mode?

If you can return it after testing it I'd try it. If not, well, it depends on how much you think it would affect you if your device has it. For some in this thread even if they have it they don't care. I only saw it during scrolling in portrait mode.

Oh that's good. Now I have better hopes that my next Mini maybe won't have jelly. :)

decypher44

macrumors 68000
Feb 24, 2007
Orange County, CA
As others have said, I’m pretty surprised there isn’t a lot more talk about this. It may not be all units, but certainly some.

I’m not sure if I can get used to it or not. If I’m reading e-books, it’s a non-factor since I just “flip” the pages. Obviously watching video or listening to audio isn’t going to be affected. I guess pretty much just scrolling webpages or social media will show it. And even then, if I’m not scrolling fast, it isn’t a big deal.

I’ll give it a week to see if I get used to it. If not, then I guess I’ll have to return it.

Phil1975

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2017
No jelly scrolling so far on my iPad …. Any tests or sites I can use. I tried the verge no issues with their site.

RossMacca

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2009
I think if I look really hard, I can see it, but it’s barely noticeable and I’d never have realised it myself.

Stop letting such a minor issue get in the way of how fantastic this little thing is!

Reactions: dwreck

ScanTheNavian

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2020
I think if I look really hard, I can see it, but it’s barely noticeable and I’d never have realised it myself.

Stop letting such a minor issue get in the way of how fantastic this little thing is!

That's not quite fair since it seems the issue might not be as prominent on every Mini. Some, including me, have very obvious jelly effects and I've read some saying it made them feel nauseous.

But I'm glad you're enjoying your to the fullest. :)

ofarlig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2015
Sweden
That's not quite fair since it seems the issue might not be as prominent on every Mini. Some, including me, have very obvious jelly effects and I've read some saying it made them feel nauseous.

But I'm glad you're enjoying your to the fullest. :)

Unless there are different display manufacturers and that difference causes this it is most likely due to how the display controller setup is designed.

How obvious it is has everything to do with where you look in the screen when scrolling. I couldn’t notice it at all until I ran the test and realised I had to have my focus on the the horizontal lines instead of just the text. Now that I focus on horizontal lines it is very obvious even on these forums, if I force myself to focus differently I don’t notice it again, the problem is doing it once you shifted perspective.

taneff

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2019
Unless I put my eyes in slow-motion mode, I can't see it.
Yeah, if I scroll very fast maybe there could be a tilt. But if I really have to search for it and don't really see it it is not a problem to me. It would if I would see it each time. I will just use it normally and see if it somehow will be bothering me, IF I have it.

jamets515

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2011
Gloucester, UK
I notice it now that I've read this thread. I'm not bothered by it too much yet though, I've got another 13 days to return or replace it so I'll just sit and watch this unfold. I doubt there will be any difference in an exchanged unit but if anyone is going back to an Apple Store in the next few days for this issue, let us know how you get on.

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
Mine looks a bit different than in the videos. Doesn't do that weird bounce thingy.
It is barely noticeable because it is a straight diagonal line. Looks like every line of pixels starts moving a bit after the previous one, with exactly the same delay between each one of them. (Hard to explain)

But i only see it if i scroll fast and really concentrate on it.

Stev150

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2013
I notice it now that I've read this thread. I'm not bothered by it too much yet though, I've got another 13 days to return or replace it so I'll just sit and watch this unfold. I doubt there will be any difference in an exchanged unit but if anyone is going back to an Apple Store in the next few days for this issue, let us know how you get on.
This is also how I feel atm , I’m assuming that different mini ipads suffer worse than others or people are more or less sensitive at noticing it.

Reactions: decypher44

dof250

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2014
My iPad mini 6 also has this. It’s extremely annoying for me, but I think it’s something that some people see and other don’t. I’ve shown my girlfriend multiple times and whatever I do she cannot see the jelly effect. She only mentions that after scrolling text isn’t immediately sharp, but it’s not an issue for her.
I’m returning my device as I don’t think this can be resolved with software. It’s a hardware thing.

EHD80

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2018
If you don’t notice the issue you should just enjoy this amazing little device. Because apart from this scrolling thing, it really is. I’ve been waiting for this Mini for quite some time but the scrolling just feels too weird for me. Going to return mine and I’ll just continue enjoying the wonderful screen of my iPad Pro :)

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
I can see it on Goodreader with a PDF of small dense text. Portrait only, not a problem in landscape. Not a problem in the old mini 4.

bearington

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2017
Tried with this thread, bbc, other sites and yep, mine has it too and it's very distracting as I use portrait mode most of the time. Will be returning.

My mini 5 has the same OS version but doesn't have this issue.

taneff

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2019
Does anyone know if the problem has been solved on the Pro line. I remember reading about it there also. Don't know if it was the latest generation or also just the MiniLED 12.9. Have they solved this by now? Then it must be software related.

As said if I have it it doesn't bother me. ATM I can't really see anything distracting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.