Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you downsizing?

• Yes! Downsizing (and upgrading) from the standard iPad

Votes: 19 7.8%
  • Yes! Downsizing from the iPad Air

Votes: 28 11.5%
  • Yes! Downsizing from the iPad Pro 11

Votes: 59 24.2%
  • Yes! Downsizing form the iPad Pro 12.9

Votes: 27 11.1%
  • No! Keeping the standard iPad

Votes: 3 1.2%
  • No! Keeping the iPad Air

Votes: 10 4.1%
  • No! Keeping the iPad Pro 11

Votes: 41 16.8%
  • No! Keeping the iPad Pro 12.9

Votes: 57 23.4%

• Total voters

Username-already-in-use

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2021
I have a 12.9 - but don’t see the Mini as an only iPad. To me, the Mini 6 is the perfect 2nd iPad, something for commuting and travelling around with, or sitting up in bed. My plan is to get a Mini 6 sometime in 2022 for when I’m commuting as my 12.9 / MK stays at home.

My girlfriend has noticed from Apple’s Mini 6 promo material that it is the ’perfect handbag size’ (US: ‘purse’), so I’ll probably have to get 2.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
As the title states. With the release of the new iPad mini 6, who has decided to downsize, from what iPad are you downsizing from, and why?
For me, it was the release of the iPad Mini 5 that convinced me to downsize from the 12.9 Pro *and* iPad 6th gen.

IMO, multitasking on iPadOS has been clunky from the start... and continues to be. At the time that I downsized, there were some apps that I used that didn't support multitasking. That resulted in me not using multitasking as much as I wanted to.

The fundamental limitations of iPadOS prevented me from using the iPad for the tasks that I wanted to. For some workflows, I was able to replace them with better ones optimized for the iPad, but most others resulted in convoluted workarounds that took more effort.

The iPad excels at being a digital notebook/planner/journal. Both the 12.9 Pro and 6th gen iPad are larger than the 1/2 letter-size paper padfolio I typically use. the iPad Mini is nearly identical in size. So give that, and the ability to do everything else (including DJ mixing) that I was doing on the 12.9 Pro and 6th gen, it made sense for me to downsize into something that was smaller, lighter, and more portable.

But that's MY journey in a nutshell.... most will read this and scratch their heads. :D

Jezak

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2008
Like the poster above, iPadOS remains clunky and inefficient for me to work on primarily. With the addition of the M1 MacBook, there really isn't a need for the iPad Pro in my life outside of light writing and content consumption. The iPad mini can fill all my needs in a smaller footprint that's more comfortable to hold and use.

lsara

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2015
Downsizing for me from an iPad Air. I mainly read and play one major game on my iPad as well as do some light browsing. It's a travel and in bed device for me. If I want to do more or have more real estate I've got a 16" MBP and a PC with dual monitors.

Reactions: BillyiPad95

ScanTheNavian

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2020
Technically I'm downsizing from the iPad 3, but it's more like actually getting something that works. Anyhow, I'm eager to get to use a smaller variant. Loved my 3 as long as it was useful, but it never felt super portable to have it with me on the bus or such. Fiddled with my friend's iPad Mini and just loved the size. It has the perfect size for my needs as I want something more manageable in everyday life. Perhaps I can now wash away this disdain I've had for Apple ever since the iPad 3 retina debacle.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Staying with the mini 5. The jump from mini 4 to mini 5 was huge in terms of internals, much bigger than from mini 5 to mini 6. Sure the new design is nicer, as are USB C and pencil 2. But as I had said already, the only thing that could have make me consider a replacement for my mini 5 would be a mini 6 with magic keyboard and I wasn't expecting it at all. My mini 5 with LTE, pencil and a bluetooth keyboard will be fine for several years to come.

pdr733

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2018
Probably I will get the mini 6 to replace the standard iPad from 2017. Will keep the original for streaming video on bigger screen if needed.
I had the original (1st gen) mini back then when it came out, so I am "returning to the fold", sort of :D

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
More and more im getting into field work and working on the go. Standing and taking notes on the mini would be a lot easier than the 11" iPP. The portability factor of it is the biggest draw. Though before I order one, Id like to get hands on with it. Hoping next Friday the apple store has some on display to play with. But there is already a 75% chance Ill be buying one.

The one thing im hesitant about, the 11" gets a lot of work done using the magic keyboard. And while the new mini will be able to do what my pro can do, I fear that the lack of the magic keyboard may make it a bit more difficult for me. Only testing it will determine!

limesmoothie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2009
Edinburgh, Scotland
I use my iPad Air 4 heavily as a note taking device, and never leave it on the MKB. So I'm going to use the Mini 6 for notes and classroom teaching. I'm going to leave the Air 4 on the MKB and if I'm not using it after a few weeks, then it will be heading to eBay.

My problem is I can make a use case for everything, so I have to try and stop myself ?

PandaPunch

macrumors regular
May 4, 2015
I love, love, love the iPad Mini, but I prefer to have the larger screen. If I had the cash, I would get either the Air or the 12.9 inch Pro.

JLOAKS

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2016
Downgrading from the 2018 11'' iPad Pro. With my use cases, I treat the iPad like the ultimate portable device. The mini just strengthens this side of the iPad. Cookbook, notepad, reference material, reading, gaming, music production, iPod, video/audio recorder, GPS map, all while being compact enough to fit in a small shoulder bag while traveling.

If long bouts of typing are needed, I can purchase something like Logitech's Keys-To-Go to carry along with me.

leperry

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2020
Ordered a 64GB mini with cellular to compliment my wifi-only 512GB 12.9. This will be a good combo as they are so different. I can take the mini anywhere and stay connected, while using the 12.9 for heavy creative tasks and storage.

Lexio

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2015
Poland, Kraków
I would love to buy the new mini (have the 11”Pro 2018) but to be honest - I do not need it really. And buying it only to have it and don’t use it very often makes no sense. I think I will wait for a new Air

Robcat101

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2017
UK
I’ve had a couple of minis, but after moving to a 12.9, it’s just too small. I can see the attraction though - bigger than a phone, but still quite portable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.