Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you downsizing?

• Yes! Downsizing (and upgrading) from the standard iPad

Votes: 19 7.8%
  • Yes! Downsizing from the iPad Air

Votes: 28 11.5%
  • Yes! Downsizing from the iPad Pro 11

Votes: 59 24.2%
  • Yes! Downsizing form the iPad Pro 12.9

Votes: 27 11.1%
  • No! Keeping the standard iPad

Votes: 3 1.2%
  • No! Keeping the iPad Air

Votes: 10 4.1%
  • No! Keeping the iPad Pro 11

Votes: 41 16.8%
  • No! Keeping the iPad Pro 12.9

Votes: 57 23.4%

• Total voters

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I would have to say you were the exception much more than the rule there…

Maybe for MacRumors and with the relatively low cost of currently available technology.

For early digital readers buying or borrowing ebooks from library (or getting them from less savory sources), I expect reading via PC is typical due to the lack or high cost of other options. While I was in high school and college, desktop or laptop is pretty much the only option for reading scanlated manga.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigMcGuire

Lesa60

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2021
UK
I don't really fit the poll as not downgrading at all. So pleased the mini is back! I have the mini 4 and happy to be able to upgrade to the 6 especially with the £100 trade in I'm getting. I have a macbook for general browsing and for tasks not as well suited to the ipad but I love my mini, mainly for ebooks, taking on holiday and for using in bed.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

tonie walker

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2020
worldwide
Missed the return window for my 11 M1 and i have the 12.9 M1 as well. I bought the first ever mini for reading and switch to kindle years after. Kindle is barely holding up now, very tempted to get the mini 6 base model but hard to justify having 3 ipads…sorry wallet.

P.S. iPhone is still xs
….
P.S. ordered the mini 6

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
I think I’ll be downsizing. I currently have a 9.7” iPad Pro. It’s a bit knackered, I will get the new Mini because it’s not a huge screen size difference, but is a lot smaller in body size so more portable. I think the Air is interesting but I don’t see the value in the Pro, because it has the M1 processor which I think is wasted with iOS.

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2018
USA
Missed the return window for my 11 M1 and i have the 12.9 M1 as well. I bought the first ever mini for reading and switch to kindle years after. Kindle is barely holding up now, very tempted to get the mini 6 base model but hard to justify having 3 ipads…sorry wallet.

P.S. iPhone is still xs
….
P.S. ordered the mini 6
That’s quite a setup. Do you have a Mac too? With Universal Control coming out, I think you will be able to utilize two iPads with it (I’m assuming since it allows three devices to connect). I think the Mini will replace the Kindle for a lot of users.

JeffreyVB

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2019
Va Beach, VA
Like others have mentioned, the Mini will complement my 11in Pro. My Pro is mostly used for work, email, Teams chat, meeting note taking, etc. Its the 512gb LTE model, so I can use it away from Wi-Fi. The Mini will be used on the sofa/in bed for media consumption, surfing, etc. May also use it in the car for route mapping on road trips and also off roading.

millydog

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2007
Australia
I got the 12.9” 2021 on release and ordered the 11” 2021 the day before the mini 6 was released. I’ve struggled deciding between 12.9” vs 11” for a long time, but now that I decided to have both, the 11” feels so similar, like I’d just be maintaining 2 sizes of the same iPad. I have the mini 5 as well. So now I’m considering returning the 11” and getting the mini 6 for portability, bed use and games.
My thoughts on the 11” are that it’s potentially the best size iPad if I was to have one size, but I could miss the 12.9” size if I was to sell it. So returning the 11” and getting the mini 6 might be the best choice considering I’m keeping the 12.9”.

garethjs

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2008
Me. The sweet spot is 11” but i bought the M1 pro 12.9” because of the mini led. Not a fan of the air.

But just to heavy to transport so i bought the mini for my daily driver and sold the ipad pro.

Next year will get the 11”

Domino8282

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2010
Southeast USA
The iPad Pro 11” just isn’t comfortable in my hand and especially not for holding long periods of time, say in bed for example. I will be so happy when they move away from the dang boxy edge design. The corners cut into my hand putting way too much pressure on a smaller surface area than with a curved design. At least with the Mini it’ll be less weight. I rarely feel like I need more real estate than Mini size. I downsized from iPhone 12 Pro Max to iPhone 13 Pro.

For portability, I have the phone. For casual browsing at home and in bed, I’ll have the iPad Mini. And for more serious work I have a M1 MacBook Air. Yeah it’s three devices but I’ll have the best of all worlds, for my taste. Just my personal preference - not knocking anyone else’s.

millydog

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2007
Australia
Well I have made the decision to return the iPad Pro 11” and get the mini 6 to use as a secondary iPad to my iPad Pro 12.9”. The 11” is great, but felt too much the same as my 12.9” due to having set them up the same. The mini will provide a different use case for me. The 11” is a potential upgrade down the track, but not now when I already have the 2021 12.9”.

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
The iPad Pro 11” just isn’t comfortable in my hand and especially not for holding long periods of time, say in bed for example. I will be so happy when they move away from the dang boxy edge design. The corners cut into my hand putting way too much pressure on a smaller surface area than with a curved design. At least with the Mini it’ll be less weight. I rarely feel like I need more real estate than Mini size. I downsized from iPhone 12 Pro Max to iPhone 13 Pro.

For portability, I have the phone. For casual browsing at home and in bed, I’ll have the iPad Mini. And for more serious work I have a M1 MacBook Air. Yeah it’s three devices but I’ll have the best of all worlds, for my taste. Just my personal preference - not knocking anyone else’s.

That’s a nice setup. Makes a lot of sense.

martin2345uk

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2013
Essex
Ordered my first even Mini last night, I think I was a bit overtired :D
I've only ever had the standard base-model iPad, so I don't know if it will be too small, but I like the idea of it fitting in my man-bag when I go places, which the standard iPad doesn't...
I chose purple o_O

Mac47

macrumors regular
May 25, 2016
Absolute.
For Reading (a book!) a kindle is miles ahead of any iPad. In terms of weight and even more in terms of comfort for the eyes.

I’ve had several Kindles, and ditched them all (including most recent Paperwhite) for reading books on the iPad mini 2. The annotation tools and utterly crappy touchscreen make the Kindle a miserable experience for me. Yes, e-ink is gentler to the eyes and can be read in full sun. But that doesn’t make up for the cheap feel of the product in its plastic housing, the relatively low resolution screen, the atrocious GUI, and the inferior annotation methods.

lsara

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2015
I miss reading on an iPad Mini so much. It's really the perfect size to read one handed and can hold more books than I need or want.

Reactions: vagos

Bodhitree

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2021
Netherlands
I’ve had my iPad Pro 12.9” for a few years, and I’m finding that an entry-level iPad would be much more suited to my needs. The large pro is just a bit uncomfortable to hold and type with, and I use a very limited selection of simple apps so dont really need pro-level speed or display. At the time I was seduced by the large screen but really it’s more cumbersome than it has been useful.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I’ve had several Kindles, and ditched them all (including most recent Paperwhite) for reading books on the iPad mini 2. The annotation tools and utterly crappy touchscreen make the Kindle a miserable experience for me. Yes, e-ink is gentler to the eyes and can be read in full sun. But that doesn’t make up for the cheap feel of the product in its plastic housing, the relatively low resolution screen, the atrocious GUI, and the inferior annotation methods.

I had a client that raved on the Kindle. 'It's better than sliced bread! you will love it! I don't go anywhere with out it!'.

BLEECH!!!

Hated it. The UI was so abusive, the wifi was pointless, the screen was primitive, the who experience was such a hot mess of 'I DON'T WANT THIS!' that I gave it to my mom, and she loved it. Yeah, I had a hard time figuring that out. She loved it, and when she died, my sister stole it. (Family, huh) Not that I missed it, but I wanted to spend some more time with it to see if I missed anything. Still, I didn't even think of buying a new one. Yeah, I wasn't THAT curious... Some others tried to get me to take the puce pill, and I just nodded and ignored them. But it's like those really cheesy and hard to use MP3 'players'. They were for people who said no to Apple's iPods, and stubbornly refused to see the light... *shrug*

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.