Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you downsizing?

• Yes! Downsizing (and upgrading) from the standard iPad

Votes: 19 7.8%
  • Yes! Downsizing from the iPad Air

Votes: 28 11.5%
  • Yes! Downsizing from the iPad Pro 11

Votes: 59 24.2%
  • Yes! Downsizing form the iPad Pro 12.9

Votes: 27 11.1%
  • No! Keeping the standard iPad

Votes: 3 1.2%
  • No! Keeping the iPad Air

Votes: 10 4.1%
  • No! Keeping the iPad Pro 11

Votes: 41 16.8%
  • No! Keeping the iPad Pro 12.9

Votes: 57 23.4%

• Total voters

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
One thing that impedes the user experience for me in using my Mini as an ereader is the lack of an all-in-one app that can support non-DRM formats: CBR, CBZ, EPUB, and PDF.

It's not a deal-breaker, but it sure would be nice to have one-app-to-read-them-all. :D

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Florida Unfortunately
The very first time I ever saw, in the wild, someone trying to use their iPad for photography, was on a trip to Alaska. This brave fool hardy soul was holding his iPad, with both hands no less, over his head, and trying to take perspective shots of his family. I happened to say, in what I thought was too low to hear, the words 'Mommy, why is that man threatening to beat up those people?'. Yeah, some apparently heard me, and a few started laughing. One person, distressed with why people were laughing demanded to know the joke, and when told my utterance, repeated it even louder and more people started laughing, and I tried to disappear... It looked rather 'distressing'...
That's a classic, made me chuckle 🤭🤣

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Thanks for these responses! But aren’t these still not inherent issues? Meaning, they can be resolved.

Brightness of the environment is up to the user, so one can just use the same environment lighting with their iPad that they use with their kindle. ie—LCDs only allow people to use poor lighting, it doesn’t force them to.

Can’t the pixels in LCDs emit any color at any brightness? So what inherent quality keeps them from matching the contrast (text to background within the screen) and the color of e ink screens?

LCD and OLED screens constantly refresh.

E-ink screens only refresh when changing content and then it's static. One of the reasons for their excellent battery life.

cindyohcindy

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2018
Germany
I do love, love, love that little thing!!?❤️ I downgraded from an iPad 12.9 inch Pro (2018). But it was planned a little different… My heart always belonged to the iPad mini! I also have 2 iPad mini 5 (2019)..the headphone jack..??? And when Apple revealed the iPad mini 6 in September, my heart was on fire!!❤️‍? I immediatly ordered it! It came and I was in love with the new design, the Touch-ID and that small form factor.. I said to myself: And now you‘re waiting for the iPad Air 5 for a bit bigger screen.. and now after 2 months of using it, it is my daily driver for everything. I have to say, I surf on the internet, listening to music and podcasts. Nothing special. And I‘m not missing a damn thing!? I don‘t miss that big screen of the 12.9 inch iPad Pro! I always felt it was too big somehow.. I love that small form factor! And I don‘t want to have the iPad Air 5 anymore. I‘m happy with my mini! It‘s perfect!?❤️
And I use the mini all the time in that position as showed in my picture. Perfect!?

Attachments

• E699F8F8-21B0-48EE-941D-0ECAB3FD064A.jpeg
    E699F8F8-21B0-48EE-941D-0ECAB3FD064A.jpeg
    424.1 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Bought one .. Compared display quality with 2021 iPad Pro 12.9 .. Sold iPad mini 6 .. Now have 2021 iPad Pro 12.9.

*shrug* My Mini is okay. It's better, in bed, than the 12.9. Sometimes 'big' is just big. Not better. Just. Really. Big.

The 12.9: For the purpose, it's great. It won't fit all purposes for all people. I like it. FaceID didn't work because the top of it was so high, and I was down more towards the bottom. It worked occasionally, but more often didn't. The TouchID works every time on the Mini, PLUS the Pencil still works on both. It's awesome. Faster than my Mini 4.

Last edited:

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
It's good to get the device that meets your needs. I have found the 265 ppi screen of the 12.9 iPad Pro to be a blurry mess compared to the 326 ppi screen of the iPad Mini.

I find the 12.9 to be 'too clear'. Yeah, I know that sounds weird, but... Having it inches from my nose, it's BIG, and tends to be BRIGHT, and everything displayed on it is just kinda 'nasty'. Like I was crestfallen when I tried using it after I got it. First, FaceID failed, and then it was WAY TO BRIGHT, and then it was TOO BIG, and kept falling to almost any angle except towards my hand. It hit my forehead, and *OUCH*... *shrug*

First world problems. I ordered the Mini, and, although not completely in love with it, it IS faster than the Mini4, and is smaller. I am very disappointed the #OtterBoxDoesntHaveAMini6CaseYet (Hoping they might see that). The case I have is 'okay', but...

Hey, at least I have a choice. (First world problems again. Traveling a couple of months ago, I took both. I never touched the 12.9. I'm sure it felt slighted...)

pdaholic

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2011
I’ve got the 12.9, 11, and mini 6. The 12.9 screen is amazing, but it’s heavy and not as easy to use as a tablet. The mini 6 is lightweight and perfect as a tablet, but half the time I miss my magic keyboard folio. I keep coming back to the 11, the perfect in-between. I’ll probably just use the mini 6 for reading to my children at night before bed.

Reactions: UltimateSyn

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I’ve got the 12.9, 11, and mini 6. The 12.9 screen is amazing, but it’s heavy and not as easy to use as a tablet. The mini 6 is lightweight and perfect as a tablet, but half the time I miss my magic keyboard folio. I keep coming back to the 11, the perfect in-between. I’ll probably just use the mini 6 for reading to my children at night before bed.

The heft of the 12.9 really was surprising. Reading in bed, it IS heavy, and hitting the forehead is not exactly painless.

I had thought of getting the 11. I really had a mental battle over it, and in the end thought 'Go big, or go home'. I was immediately disappointed, but after getting a huge deal on the Magic Keyboard and a great deal on the Pencil, really like the whole kit. That keyboard is SO AWESOME!!! Apple missed the boat for not coming up with a Mini version of the Magic Keyboard. Well, or not... *shrug*

The Mini is easier to use in bed.?Saves wear and tear on the forehead...

KennyJr

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2020
Bought one .. Compared display quality with 2021 iPad Pro 12.9 .. Sold iPad mini 6 .. Now have 2021 iPad Pro 12.9.
Actually, the decision was about which iPad to keep. The Mini 6 was much more portable and far easier to travel with, not to mention easier to hold. But circumstances resulted in my no longer being able to travel. So, I opted for the bigger, brighter screen that I find is better for my aging eyes.

Reactions: PinkyMacGodess

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Actually, the decision was about which iPad to keep. The Mini 6 was much more portable and far easier to travel with, not to mention easier to hold. But circumstances resulted in my no longer being able to travel. So, I opted for the bigger, brighter screen that I find is better for my aging eyes.

I totally get it, but it was the weight that was disappointing, and no, I did not have the Magic Keyboard on it. I was using an Otterbox Defender (in case it falls out of bed). I was torn, I do like the 12.9, but it's big... *sigh* Choices... At least I have choices. I DO like the Pencil. I wasn't expecting to like it as much. (As long as I can stop losing them)

RickTaylor

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2013
When the iPad first came out, I didn't see the point to it. If I wanted something portable, I would use a laptop with a keyboard and a trackpad. I didn't see the point.

And then the first iPad mini came out and I fell in love. I think I've owned every iPad mini since then (unsure about the 3), so I can't really say I'm downsizing. I also use a 12.9" iPad as a virtual whiteboard and for writing notes.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
When the iPad first came out, I didn't see the point to it. If I wanted something portable, I would use a laptop with a keyboard and a trackpad. I didn't see the point.

And then the first iPad mini came out and I fell in love. I think I've owned every iPad mini since then (unsure about the 3), so I can't really say I'm downsizing. I also use a 12.9" iPad as a virtual whiteboard and for writing notes.

Hah! My first iPad, I was also sure that I would hate it, and I didn't. It is addicting, or something...

Reactions: cindyohcindy

pdaholic

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2011
The heft of the 12.9 really was surprising. Reading in bed, it IS heavy, and hitting the forehead is not exactly painless.

I had thought of getting the 11. I really had a mental battle over it, and in the end thought 'Go big, or go home'. I was immediately disappointed, but after getting a huge deal on the Magic Keyboard and a great deal on the Pencil, really like the whole kit. That keyboard is SO AWESOME!!! Apple missed the boat for not coming up with a Mini version of the Magic Keyboard. Well, or not... *shrug*

The Mini is easier to use in bed.?Saves wear and tear on the forehead...
Yeah I can appreciate having the biggest iPad and the smallest iPad for different tasks. I always have a goal to get down to one device (but I’ll always need a mac because of the limitations of iPadOS). The 11 almost gets me to the unified device; the 12.9 is just too darn heavy to hold and write on. I agree, It was disappointing Apple didn’t make a mini keyboard (or at least a smart connector for 3rd parties).

geta

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2010
The Moon
The Mini 6 is such a powerful little device! Love everything about it except the camera bump and the missing headphone jack. Its perfect for media consumption, reading and day to day tasks, but once i need more then that and /or bigger screen ill use the mbp.

I do love, love, love that little thing!!?❤️ I downgraded from an iPad 12.9 inch Pro (2018). But it was planned a little different… My heart always belonged to the iPad mini! I also have 2 iPad mini 5 (2019)..the headphone jack..??? And when Apple revealed the iPad mini 6 in September, my heart was on fire!!❤️‍? I immediatly ordered it! It came and I was in love with the new design, the Touch-ID and that small form factor.. I said to myself: And now you‘re waiting for the iPad Air 5 for a bit bigger screen.. and now after 2 months of using it, it is my daily driver for everything. I have to say, I surf on the internet, listening to music and podcasts. Nothing special. And I‘m not missing a damn thing!? I don‘t miss that big screen of the 12.9 inch iPad Pro! I always felt it was too big somehow.. I love that small form factor! And I don‘t want to have the iPad Air 5 anymore. I‘m happy with my mini! It‘s perfect!?❤️
And I use the mini all the time in that position as showed in my picture. Perfect!?
Which stand is it You using?

cindyohcindy

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2018
Germany
I ordered them both stands on Amazon. I just picked the ones I like best. ?
The black one is from „UGREEN“ and the purple one is from „OMOTON“.

Attachments

• BA356253-E45F-422A-9C01-705FADF24BFB.jpeg
    BA356253-E45F-422A-9C01-705FADF24BFB.jpeg
    432.3 KB · Views: 113
  • 02365BBD-DDB1-4C8A-9CAE-88B9AA1C0706.jpeg
    02365BBD-DDB1-4C8A-9CAE-88B9AA1C0706.jpeg
    318.2 KB · Views: 113
  • EA19783D-0B0D-4701-8539-B858B960E7E3.jpeg
    EA19783D-0B0D-4701-8539-B858B960E7E3.jpeg
    284.4 KB · Views: 105
  • 08C5A59D-B35F-42C9-9491-FCD0E953C37D.jpeg
    08C5A59D-B35F-42C9-9491-FCD0E953C37D.jpeg
    387.8 KB · Views: 112
  • 58F4CB06-B36C-41C5-A1AA-C28EE20D384B.jpeg
    58F4CB06-B36C-41C5-A1AA-C28EE20D384B.jpeg
    413 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
Reactions: geta

cindyohcindy

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2018
Germany
Do you guys know what?
I really like that big keyboard on the mini! It‘s so good to write on, because it‘s big when you hold it that way like in my picture. Yes, it holds much of the space on screen while writing on but I like it a lot! ?

Attachments

• 4EB30D6C-B2A3-41E5-B183-7941E76FE31D.jpeg
    4EB30D6C-B2A3-41E5-B183-7941E76FE31D.jpeg
    332.9 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Reactions: sracer

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I ordered them both stands on Amazon. I just picked the ones I like best. ?
The black one is from „UGREEN“ and the purple one is from „OMOTON“.

I got the Hover Bar, and will see how it works. I had an early one from Sharper Image that was a disaster. It had a 'chip clip' to attach to things, and a really stiff metal 'thing' stalk, and it could not be adjusted without the chip clip popping off whatever it was attached to. Big hopes... :cool:

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Do you guys know what?
I really like that big keyboard on the mini! It‘s so good to write on, because it‘s big when you hold it that way like in my picture. Yes, it holds much of the space on screen while writing on but I like it a lot! ?

DOH!!!

I've never actually turned it sideways and seen the keyboard. *shrug* I think the case I have makes it more interesting, going sideways. The flap cover flaps down, and it slides, pivoting on the hinge, and it's been interesting, getting used to it. First world problems...

cindyohcindy

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2018
Germany
DOH!!!

I've never actually turned it sideways and seen the keyboard. *shrug* I think the case I have makes it more interesting, going sideways. The flap cover flaps down, and it slides, pivoting on the hinge, and it's been interesting, getting used to it. First world problems...
You should try it out..? It was one of the first things I have recognized, because I used it sideways from the very beginning.. yes, first world problems, but as you said, interesting..?

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Do you guys know what?
nice! That reminds me of my Alphasmart Neo 2. When I want a distraction-free writing experience, I that. :oops: :D

alphasmart-neo-review-1.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.