Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you downsizing?

• Yes! Downsizing (and upgrading) from the standard iPad

Votes: 19 7.8%
  • Yes! Downsizing from the iPad Air

Votes: 28 11.5%
  • Yes! Downsizing from the iPad Pro 11

Votes: 59 24.2%
  • Yes! Downsizing form the iPad Pro 12.9

Votes: 27 11.1%
  • No! Keeping the standard iPad

Votes: 3 1.2%
  • No! Keeping the iPad Air

Votes: 10 4.1%
  • No! Keeping the iPad Pro 11

Votes: 41 16.8%
  • No! Keeping the iPad Pro 12.9

Votes: 57 23.4%

• Total voters

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I don’t carry anything with my Kindle, just the Kindle in its cover. I do have a multi port charger block and some cables that I carry in my purse, but that’s for several electronics that I carry. The Oasis battery lasts a very long time and I take short trips so I just make sure it’s charged before I go.

A real honest long lasting battery? My iPad Mini 4 battery is getting weaker and weaker. *sigh* And I've had incidents where my iPad battery will last for days, and then occasionally, will barely last a day. No idea what happens when that happens, and it's annoying, but I end up taking chargers and cables and cases and docks and long cables and short cables and even a small wifi (Apple Express) JIC...

I did give up taking my MacBooks. Thinking maybe I should rethink that maybe. I don't know... I've spent too much money on tech this year. This pandemic is killing me... :oops::rolleyes::D:p:cool::apple:

LibbyLA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2017
A real honest long lasting battery? My iPad Mini 4 battery is getting weaker and weaker. *sigh* And I've had incidents where my iPad battery will last for days, and then occasionally, will barely last a day. No idea what happens when that happens, and it's annoying, but I end up taking chargers and cables and cases and docks and long cables and short cables and even a small wifi (Apple Express) JIC...

I did give up taking my MacBooks. Thinking maybe I should rethink that maybe. I don't know... I've spent too much money on tech this year. This pandemic is killing me... :oops::rolleyes::D:p:cool::apple:
It’s an e-ink device so there’s very little power drain. I usually read at night so I use white text on a black background. I have no idea how many hours of battery life it is, but for me it’s days and days because I don’t read that much at a time. If you want to save even more battery, turn wifi off. It’s not a device for reading anything in color or with photos or nice diagrams or for annotating anything. It’s for reading text.

My favorite is the original Oasis. I’ve always marveled that something so tiny (the size of a little kids’ book) can be so useful. However, I’m using the larger Oasis because it’s waterproof and has a bigger screen, and yet it’s still smaller and lighter than the Mini 4 or 5 and much easier on the eyes at night.

If you want to read without distraction, an e-reader is ideal. No email, no text messages, no social media, no notifications, no nothing.

FranApple

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2020
It’s an e-ink device so there’s very little power drain. I usually read at night so I use white text on a black background. I have no idea how many hours of battery life it is, but for me it’s days and days because I don’t read that much at a time. If you want to save even more battery, turn wifi off. It’s not a device for reading anything in color or with photos or nice diagrams or for annotating anything. It’s for reading text.

My favorite is the original Oasis. I’ve always marveled that something so tiny (the size of a little kids’ book) can be so useful. However, I’m using the larger Oasis because it’s waterproof and has a bigger screen, and yet it’s still smaller and lighter than the Mini 4 or 5 and much easier on the eyes at night.

If you want to read without distraction, an e-reader is ideal. No email, no text messages, no social media, no notifications, no nothing.

This works well if you read fiction. For non-fiction, if you do a lot of highlighting and note taking, the Kindle is just a nightmare. I like how I can just toss it around without a care, but it's just too limited for what I read.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
E ink readers have indisputably measurable advantages—crazy battery life, being able to read in bright sunlight, cheaper, lighter, can’t be tempted to check email/etc (as far as notifications though, one can just turn on Do Not Disturb)—but I question the assumption that e ink screens inherently cause less eye strain than LCD, if that is indeed the claim.

I have no doubt that has been the experience of many people (even I have possibly found this to be the case), but if the claim is that e ink is inherently healthier for the eyes, then that’s an objective statement that needs be objectively proven. It cannot be proven based solely on personal experience, even if it’s my own, nor by a vote, because experience can be easily misinterpreted, especially with an extremely complex physiological occurrence like eye strain. We could all be attributing it to an inaccurate scientific reason and therefore making a wrong conclusion.

And if it’s not inherent, then it isn’t truly an advantage for e ink, because a circumstantial disadvantage is correctable. Eg. if LCD screens cause more eye strain because they’re usually brighter (circumstantial), then they can simply be dimmed to match an e ink screen.

So are there inherent differences that actually affect eye strain? What are they and exactly how do they affect eye strain?

LibbyLA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2017
This works well if you read fiction. For non-fiction, if you do a lot of highlighting and note taking, the Kindle is just a nightmare. I like how I can just toss it around without a care, but it's just too limited for what I read.
The point about it being useful only for text was made earlier. It also works for biographies. But not for anything with photos or diagrams or anything you want to annotate. When I read, it’s for pleasure and relaxation.

Bodhitree

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2021
Netherlands
I have to agree my 12.9 was the first iPad I ever cracked on the corner it was just too big for me and I'm getting older

And the weight that goes with the bigger size! I just don’t find it very comfortable to hold. Which is a definite trade off when watching videos on it, because you have to hold the iPad upright in most viewing situations.

Reactions: rovex

rkuo

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2010
E ink readers have indisputably measurable advantages—crazy battery life, being able to read in bright sunlight, cheaper, lighter, can’t be tempted to check email/etc (as far as notifications though, one can just turn on Do Not Disturb)—but I question the assumption that e ink screens inherently cause less eye strain than LCD, if that is indeed the claim.

I have no doubt that has been the experience of many people (even I have possibly found this to be the case), but if the claim is that e ink is inherently healthier for the eyes, then that’s an objective statement that needs be objectively proven. It cannot be proven based solely on personal experience, even if it’s my own, nor by a vote, because experience can be easily misinterpreted, especially with an extremely complex physiological occurrence like eye strain. We could all be attributing it to an inaccurate scientific reason and therefore making a wrong conclusion.

And if it’s not inherent, then it isn’t truly an advantage for e ink, because a circumstantial disadvantage is correctable. Eg. if LCD screens cause more eye strain because they’re usually brighter (circumstantial), then they can simply be dimmed to match an e ink screen.

So are there inherent differences that actually affect eye strain? What are they and exactly how do they affect eye strain?
Eye strain is largely a function of the eye having to adapt to differing brightnesses in the environment. Your pupils constantly shrink and enlarge in response to the brightness of what your eyes are looking at.

E-ink displays, which are inherently very low contrast, simply take on the brightness characteristics of the ambient light in the room and thus don't cause much eye strain. Emissive displays such as LCD and OLED generate their own light, and so it's quite easy for there to be large differences in brightness both within the screen itself as well vs the surrounding environment that cause your eyes to work harder.

Reactions: ericwn and LibbyLA

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I’m not planning to downsize from my 11” pro, and I really can’t justify having another iPad, but I just absolutely LOVE the size of the mini. I bought the mini 5 thinking I’d use it in bed, and still wound up using my phone because I just couldn’t find a super comfortable way to hold the mini while laying down. If I’m on the couch, it’s no biggie to have my 11” pro in my lap. There just isn’t a logical reason for me to own one. Of course, I’m not always logical.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.

I don't have any friends, or family, so I'm not harassed by 'people'. (So said a person who 'doesn't like me')

It's the weight that I'm not enraptured with. When I'm in that space of time between passing the hell out, and reading, that iPad 12.9 actually hurts (more) when it drops into my forehead. OUCH! And it sometimes does that several times. I can see a dedicated 'e-book reader', but the one thing that makes no sense to me is the differing e-book content formats. Having to repurchase books I want to read on both devices is kind of expensive, and *should* be needless. I *should* be able to get the book I purchased in BOTH formats, JIC I want to read it on a different device. It'll never happen, but it would be nice for 'switch hitters'...

taneff

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2019
With e-readers it is like with Garmin vs Apple Watch. It really depends on your needs.

Reading on an e-ink eReader is at so much more convenient and easy on the eyes. You can read much longer without eyes getting tired. And it is much lighter and way easier to hold. An iPad is for totally different use. It is not the best e-reader, too heavy and too much blue light.

Same goes f.e. for my beloved Garmin watches MIP displays vs Apple Watches OLED. If you do a lot of sports you have this amazingly readable display, esp outside it seems like it's brightness is at 100% setting, but it is not, display is turned off but you can see everything amazingly. Perfect for any kind of sport. But in all-day use besides always-on time an OLED display is much more convenient. I think it really serves totally different purposes like with an iPad vs Kindle. You can read with an iPad but it is not as fun. You can do sports with an Apple Watch but it is not as fun, esp. regarding display and visibility of course.

But if you really only want one device for everything of course the iPad mini 6 is the way to go, not the Kindle.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
So true. Or arrested in my case 🤣😭

The very first time I ever saw, in the wild, someone trying to use their iPad for photography, was on a trip to Alaska. This brave fool hardy soul was holding his iPad, with both hands no less, over his head, and trying to take perspective shots of his family. I happened to say, in what I thought was too low to hear, the words 'Mommy, why is that man threatening to beat up those people?'. Yeah, some apparently heard me, and a few started laughing. One person, distressed with why people were laughing demanded to know the joke, and when told my utterance, repeated it even louder and more people started laughing, and I tried to disappear... It looked rather 'distressing'...

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Fred Zed and Zorori

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Well, I considered it for.. um, a split second. Realized it's more of a downgrade, not a downsize. I enjoy the 12.9 size.. it serves a purpose for me. I like the Mini as a traveling companion, but I haven't been that type of person to have two iPads (no shade to those who do).

Zorori

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2017

I read fiction on an iPad mini. I read Japanese novels and whilst the kindle supports dictionary lookups, they are very slow. The iPad's lookup is instant in comparison. I'd imagine it's the same case for anyone using books to study a language.

The kindle's main benefit for me is reading in wet places, like the bath, or by a pool: it's waterproof and cheap.

• Wow
Reactions: PinkyMacGodess

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
The kindle's main benefit for me is reading in wet places, like the bath, or by a pool: it's waterproof and cheap.

At least for me, when I have a migraine attack, paper and e-ink don't exacerbate migraines while LCD-based displays do. Meanwhile, OLED/PWM actually causes migraines for me.

And I agree with the Kindle being somewhat more disposable. I only paid like $65 for my Paperwhite (Mother's day sale + Prime CC cash back promo). Apart from being cheap and waterproof, the display also works very well under sunlight so perfect for poolside or at the beach.

The Kindle's also great for 16-hour flights. Easily lasts the entire flight with plenty of juice left over.

ElectronGuru

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2013
Oregon, USA

A contributor I havn’t seen mentioned in light color. Running daytime calibrated light sources after sunset can cause all manner of sleep disruption and eye strain.

An ink screen will use whatever color light is already in an environment, reducing strain. An iPad brings its own light and may or may not be a low strain light color.

Apple has improved things with True Tone and night shift. You can set custom red filters for even more protection, making the screen better than many ambient light sources. But those sources too can be improved.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
Eye strain is largely a function of the eye having to adapt to differing brightnesses in the environment. Your pupils constantly shrink and enlarge in response to the brightness of what your eyes are looking at.

E-ink displays, which are inherently very low contrast, simply take on the brightness characteristics of the ambient light in the room and thus don't cause much eye strain. Emissive displays such as LCD and OLED generate their own light, and so it's quite easy for there to be large differences in brightness both within the screen itself as well vs the surrounding environment that cause your eyes to work harder.
A contributor I havn’t seen mentioned in light color. Running daytime calibrated light sources after sunset can cause all manner of sleep disruption and eye strain.

An ink screen will use whatever color light is already in an environment, reducing strain. An iPad brings its own light and may or may not be a low strain light color.

Apple has improved things with True Tone and night shift. You can set custom red filters for even more protection, making the screen better than many ambient light sources. But those sources too can be improved.
Thanks for these responses! But aren’t these still not inherent issues? Meaning, they can be resolved.

Brightness of the environment is up to the user, so one can just use the same environment lighting with their iPad that they use with their kindle. ie—LCDs only allow people to use poor lighting, it doesn’t force them to.

Can’t the pixels in LCDs emit any color at any brightness? So what inherent quality keeps them from matching the contrast (text to background within the screen) and the color of e ink screens?

Reactions: ElectronGuru

Kobathedread

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2021
I used to have an IPad Pro 12.9 and it was extremely useful because I didn’t have a laptop nor a television. So the iPad was my laptop for university work and also my tv and movie watching device. I’ve mow got myself a lovely Oled 65 inch tv and a MacBook Pro so the iPad is no longer useful for me.

The mini on the other hand will be for reading on the kindle app(I’m a huge reader so this will be very useful) for casual internet browsing when I’m lying in bed(the 12.9 was too big for that) and also for writing notes when I’m studying.

ElectronGuru

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2013
Oregon, USA
Thanks for these responses! But aren’t these still not inherent issues? Meaning, they can be resolved?

People being people and technology being technology, something that works the best at something right out of the box will work correctly for more people more of the time than something that requires tuning.

Like I’m knowledgeable about light color and melatonin and I’ve been practicing custom red modes for years. I’ve also shown that technique to people and had them worry their iPhone etc isn’t even new enough to support it.

LibbyLA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2017
I don't have any friends, or family, so I'm not harassed by 'people'. (So said a person who 'doesn't like me')

It's the weight that I'm not enraptured with. When I'm in that space of time between passing the hell out, and reading, that iPad 12.9 actually hurts (more) when it drops into my forehead. OUCH! And it sometimes does that several times. I can see a dedicated 'e-book reader', but the one thing that makes no sense to me is the differing e-book content formats. Having to repurchase books I want to read on both devices is kind of expensive, and *should* be needless. I *should* be able to get the book I purchased in BOTH formats, JIC I want to read it on a different device. It'll never happen, but it would be nice for 'switch hitters'...
If I want to read Kindle content on my iPads, I can use the Kindle app. No need to purchase twice.

I work with a trail camera company so have FB responsibilities for them and I teach at a university so I have work/student emails, Teams, etc. And I do have a few friends. Sometimes there are lots of distractions.

Reactions: PinkyMacGodess
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.