Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you downsizing?

• Yes! Downsizing (and upgrading) from the standard iPad

Votes: 19 7.8%
  • Yes! Downsizing from the iPad Air

Votes: 28 11.5%
  • Yes! Downsizing from the iPad Pro 11

Votes: 59 24.2%
  • Yes! Downsizing form the iPad Pro 12.9

Votes: 27 11.1%
  • No! Keeping the standard iPad

Votes: 3 1.2%
  • No! Keeping the iPad Air

Votes: 10 4.1%
  • No! Keeping the iPad Pro 11

Votes: 41 16.8%
  • No! Keeping the iPad Pro 12.9

Votes: 57 23.4%

• Total voters

robertfrancis70

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2012
One thing that impedes the user experience for me in using my Mini as an ereader is the lack of an all-in-one app that can support non-DRM formats: CBR, CBZ, EPUB, and PDF.

It's not a deal-breaker, but it sure would be nice to have one-app-to-read-them-all. :D

Have you tried Kybook?

Reactions: sracer

robertfrancis70

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2012
Hadn't realized they'd gone subscription... Makes me feel lucky to get in when I did. It's the indispensable iPad reading app. Great for PDFs and eBooks...

Reactions: sracer

bingeciren

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2011
As a long time user of minis from 1 to 4 and now 6, I enjoy the speed and the added benefit of the pencil support. I’m happy with the reduced overall size and the increased screen area. Jelly scroll is totally a non issue for me and as far as I’m concerned it’s a storm in a teacup.

Reactions: Mac47

PowerMac5500

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2021
As a long time user of minis from 1 to 4 and now 6, I enjoy the speed and the added benefit of the pencil support. I’m happy with the reduced overall size and the increased screen area. Jelly scroll is totally a non issue for me and as far as I’m concerned it’s a storm in a teacup.
I forgot about jelly scroll until you mentioned it… It’s like “that one white eyebrow hair“ of an issue.

I basically say to myself on a weekly basis, that I’m glad I got the Mini 6 spec’d out. I love it. I actually had the thought in mind tonight, to tell my wife how much I like it. But, I knew she wouldn’t care, so I didn’t.

I picked up my 12.9 off the desk stand today for the first time in a month, I laughed out loud. How I ever tried to justify that as a daily tablet is beyond me.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I forgot about jelly scroll until you mentioned it… It’s like “that one white eyebrow hair“ of an issue.

I basically say to myself on a weekly basis, that I’m glad I got the Mini 6 spec’d out. I love it. I actually had the thought in mind tonight, to tell my wife how much I like it. But, I knew she wouldn’t care, so I didn’t.

I picked up my 12.9 off the desk stand today for the first time in a month, I laughed out loud. How I ever tried to justify that as a daily tablet is beyond me.

I have an eyelash that is just inside my field of vision on the right side. It drives me nuts. I've plucked it, and it grows back. Jelly scrolling? I haven't seen it yet. *shrug*

PowerMac5500

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2021
Xbox One for sale, 2 controllers... Playstation 4 for sale, no controllers...

I've never been a hardcore gamer... I enjoy playing games. I've owned a lot of gaming systems, but I have more unopened games on my shelf than I do open ones. I don't have time for the commitment that is console gaming. 5-10 minutes to get booted up and put the disc in, guaranteed updates of a gig or more every launch, loading... loading... loading... 20 minutes later... Play for 5 minutes... ugh, I'm tired. I'm going to bed.

The gaming experience on my iPad Mini 6 though.... Wow. New life for a casual gamer who just wants to pop in and out of a game for a few minutes.

Attachments

• IMG_1417.jpeg
    IMG_1417.jpeg
    419.6 KB · Views: 99

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Found a new use-case for the mini: reading webcomics that are too tiny on the iPhone but look abnormally huge on 9.7+" iPads.

Honestly, the iPads I use pretty much correlates with different comic types:

7-8": webcomics (portrait)

9-11": Japanese/Korean manga/manhwa (2-page landscape)

12.9": American comics (2-page landscape)

Last edited:
Reactions: BigMcGuire

lezmace

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2011

I've never been a hardcore gamer... I enjoy playing games. I've owned a lot of gaming systems, but I have more unopened games on my shelf than I do open ones. I don't have time for the commitment that is console gaming. 5-10 minutes to get booted up and put the disc in, guaranteed updates of a gig or more every launch, loading... loading... loading... 20 minutes later... Play for 5 minutes... ugh, I'm tired. I'm going to bed.

The gaming experience on my iPad Mini 6 though.... Wow. New life for a casual gamer who just wants to pop in and out of a game for a few minutes.

Yeah that’s true. That’s why I also like the Nintendo switch.
Which game are you playing on the screenshot?

PowerMac5500

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2021
Yeah that’s true. That’s why I also like the Nintendo switch.
Which game are you playing on the screenshot?
Asphalt 8+, it's the Apple Arcade version if there is a difference. So much fun with a controler. Yeah, it's a simple game, but it's damn near perfect for what it is. Racing games and FPS are my first loves, I've never been able to get into RPG or sports games where there's a bunch of little characters running around.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.

I get that. I've got most of the game systems made in the past how many years. It's updates, and then the 'Oh, this game requires online access, so cough up even more money!' The last time I had my Xbox running, Diablo III, I played it for three and a half hours. Wow... It was such a time sink. The world could have ended and been recreated in the time I was playing, it seemed. It was sunny when I started, to only play 'for a few minutes'. It was dark when I was done. What was the effect of wasting so much time. I was a monkey, sitting in front of the TV, 'slaying' computer monsters. It was fun, but I felt guilty, and somewhat ashamed for the time blown. I could have eaten, instead of passed on food. Maybe gaming will work better for some than trying to go on a diet. *shrug*

Some of those unopened games could be worth some serious coin. Really... I have the first 4 decks of Magic The Gathering, and someone told me they were worth 'big money'. *shrug* But you should look into it.

pdaholic

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2011
There’s a great web based emulator retrogamesbot.com that I have been using for old retro games. You have to have the roms, but it works really well. It supports game controllers but it can be a bit finicky; sometimes I have to restart my iPad to get the website to work with my controller. Highly recommended!

Hello...

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2011
I’ve had the mini six since the launch and now I’m putting it up for sale. Unfortunately I think I’m gonna go to android for a while and hopefully Apple will get better in the future. I’ve been a long time Apple fan, but truthfully, using the pixel tablet as much easier much faster than using my iPad six

rovex

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2011
I’ve had the mini six since the launch and now I’m putting it up for sale. Unfortunately I think I’m gonna go to android for a while and hopefully Apple will get better in the future. I’ve been a long time Apple fan, but truthfully, using the pixel tablet as much easier much faster than using my iPad six

I’m waiting for a flagship android mini and I’ll be doing the same.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.