Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Soulflower

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2011
I was really hoping they would update the iPad mini but that didn't happen. I don't have to have it, but I'm really wanting a smaller iPad. Doesn't anyone still have and like the iPad Mini 6? Should I continue to wait?

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I’m fairly content with my iPad mini 6. I just find the constant reloads very annoying. Otherwise it’s a fast little iPad.

There’s still a possibility that one will be announced via press release this October with release date in November. You might want to wait until then. I’m sure there’ll be plenty of Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals on iPads even if there are no new models.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
The iPad Mini 6 is really solid. I know some people complain about the screen, but that didn't bother me. But for me personally, I didn't like the size ratio of the elements. What I mean is, things like widget ratios are not quite right, compared to the rest of the stuff on the screen. They are smaller than they should be.

Last edited:

RickTaylor

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2013
I’m reading this on my iPad mini 6 in a cafe. I carry it around in a shoulder bag. It’s wonderfully portable, but still large enough to comfortably read books, or view websites, or use the GPS.

I would wait till the end of the October before getting one, as there are rumors there might be some more product announcements before then.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Perfectly happy with the 6. Mine also stands in as phone too (VOIP app with buds & mic for calls- no iPhone)... so pretty much daily use.

However, as referenced in #2: at this point, I'd wait out until late October, given the tiny bit of rumor about a potential 7. I'm doubting it- thinking it will be NEXT year... but it's possible.

If you wanted to have a bit of cake & eat it too, buy the 6 on about Oct 16 and then you would have the 14-day window for returns in case Apple drops a press release update in the balance of October. That's the fastest path to an iPad Mini with the flexibility to go 7 if they surprise us with one.

muzzy996

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2018
I love my cellular 256gb mini 6. Very portable and a great companion for my iPhone 13 Pro Max. The screen size is obviously in between the phone and other iPads but that’s what I like about it. I get a little more screen real estate with minimal bulk. The tradeoff is less than ideal typing experience with large hands but it’s fine. Primarily I consume content and do general web browsing and online shopping with it.

You haven’t mentioned what you would use it for so it’s hard to say whether waiting is necessary, but the next generation would certainly be an iterative improvement as is always the case.

The main things that I would like to see in the next mini are more RAM, screen improvements and FaceID.

Reactions: DesertN0mad

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
I love my cellular 256gb mini 6. Very portable and a great companion for my iPhone 13 Pro Max. The screen size is obviously in between the phone and other iPads but that’s what I like about it. I get a little more screen real estate with minimal bulk. The tradeoff is less than ideal typing experience with large hands but it’s fine. Primarily I consume content and do general web browsing and online shopping with it.

You haven’t mentioned what you would use it for so it’s hard to say whether waiting is necessary, but the next generation would certainly be an iterative improvement as is always the case.

The main things that I would like to see in the next mini are more RAM, screen improvements and FaceID.

I would like to see 512GB storage as an option

Soulflower

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2011

I’d mostly use it for streaming movies, e-mail and reading. Nothing big or important but I hate to purchase and then a new one with improvements be announced.

Reactions: muzzy996

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
I’d mostly use it for streaming movies, e-mail and reading. Nothing big or important but I hate to purchase and then a new one with improvements be announced.

While I'm certainly quite pleased with my 6, those 3 things work just fine on any tablet... like Fire Tablets from Amazon for around $100. I'm not really wanting to steer you away from Apple goodness, but all 3 of those needs works just as well on other tablets.

As you well know, there's no way to purchase anything and not have a new one coming. However, again, if there's going to be a 7 from Apple in 2023, it is almost certainly going to be announced this month. So consider waiting for Oct 16, buy the latest one available (6 if nothing announced by then) and then you have until end of the month to swap if a 7 announcement hits after that.

Last edited:

Soulflower

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2011
While I'm certainly quite pleased with my 6, those 3 things work just fine on any tablet... like Fire Tablets from Amazon for around $100. I'm not really wanted to steer you away from Apple goodness, but all 3 of those needs works just as well on other tablets.

As you well know, there's no way to purchase anything and not have a new one coming. However, again, if there's going to be a 7 from Apple in 2023, it is almost certainly going to be announced this month. So consider waiting for Oct 16, buy the latest one available (6 if nothing announced by then) and then you have until end of the month to swap if a 7 announcement hits after that.
I'm pretty much all Apple with an MacBook Air, iMac, iPhone, AirPods, etc. I do have a kindle but find that I read more on my older iPad. I don't think I'm interested in a Fire.

benniacan

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2020
I was really hoping they would update the iPad mini but that didn't happen. I don't have to have it, but I'm really wanting a smaller iPad. Doesn't anyone still have and like the iPad Mini 6? Should I continue to wait?
Yes i really love my ipad mini 6, before i have ipa air 4, it's good but too heavy and big because i used it to entertainment like watching movie (youtube, netflix), read ebook, making notes (good notes + cheap pencil), for gaming (roblox, toca world, minecraft, gatcha life, gear clubt etc) and for browsing.

Do not buy the 64 gb, i wish i have more storage.

Maybe wait for ipad mini 7? but if the upgrade only the chipset/storage, i think ipad mini 6 will be the best choice n the price will go down.

ipad mini 6 + airpod + iphone SE + macbook air...that's enough for my daily job n entertainment for now.

Reactions: Soulflower

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
It's a great iPad. Could it use a slightly faster processor and a better screen? Sure. But will you even notice in daily use? Nah, probably not. If you really want it, go ahead and get it. Solid device.

H_D

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2021
Love minis. The one thing I would like is for it to have the writing feeling of the Remarkable 2.

Crow_Servo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2018
America
I really enjoy my Mini 6. I use it everyday to surf the web, check emails and do some gaming. The only reason I’d probably want a new one is if they increased the screen size slightly, gave it a newer processor that makes it compatible with upcoming AAA games like the future Resident Evil ports and/or if they gave it ProMotion.

I also have an Air 4 so I can more comfortably play Pubg Mobile on it. It’s a bit too small for me to play that game on the Mini. If the screen somehow increased to 9” or more, I could probably give up the Air and solely use the Mini.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Hopefully the iPad Mini 7 is released this month. Just wait until then. iPad Mini 6 is 2 years old at this point and is overdue for a refresh.

We have seen much longer time spans than only 2 years for iPad Mini upgrades: 4th gen to 5th gen was 3.5 years.

And 6 got latest A-series chip (A15 Bionic) when launched, so it is NOT overdue for a refresh. Happy to see new iPad Minis roll out but I'll be sticking with this 6 until approx. the 9 or 10. My last hop was from 2 to 6. iPad Mini seems like Energizer Bunny: it keeps going & going.

Last edited:

rulymammoth

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2015

If that's what you're using it for, the mini 6 will be fine. And if you really are having gadget envy when a new one is announced (which apparently is NOT this year), then just trade it in. It's a great device for movies, email and reading.

vjl323

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2005
Western North Carolina
I love my iPad mini 6 - it's fast, has a sharp screen, and is incredibly fast. That said, as soon as an M1 [or better yet, M2] iPad mini is released, I am jumping on that for one very specialized reason - Final Cut Pro requires an M1 or newer CPU. As someone who uses FCP on my Mac, it has been very, very challenging to use another video editing app on the mini while out on trail for months at a time. While an iPad mini certainly isn't a 2-display Mac setup, the learning curve for me, will be quite a bit easier since I've been using FCP since before the FCP X days. Combined with a light external SSD drive, the mini can be a very powerful, and light, mobile editing platform.

• Love
Reactions: Student of Life
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.