Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleMan2015

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2015
I was really hoping they would update the iPad mini but that didn't happen. I don't have to have it, but I'm really wanting a smaller iPad. Doesn't anyone still have and like the iPad Mini 6? Should I continue to wait?
I have an iPad mini 6 and it's a great device. The most annoying issue with it is it's battery life. If they only updated the battery life next round, I'd update in a heartbeat. I don't think you get much beyond 8-10 hours of battery with even modest usage. If I use it for 20 minutes and leave it connected to Wi-Fi for 3 days "sleeping", I come back and it's at 10%. If I charge it up to 100% and start browsing, watching some YouTube, looking at banking Apps and Google Docs - very modest use - within 2/3 hours we're already down near 60-70%. Turn down the brightness and you might help that out, but you can't see much.

My biggest hope is MacBook Pro - type battery life for the mini. I want to read books with it and take it with me, but even now it's very tough to rely on it knowing that the battery is such a drain.

It's a decent deal if you can get it heavily discounted.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
I have an iPad mini 6 and it's a great device. The most annoying issue with it is it's battery life. If they only updated the battery life next round, I'd update in a heartbeat. I don't think you get much beyond 8-10 hours of battery with even modest usage. If I use it for 20 minutes and leave it connected to Wi-Fi for 3 days "sleeping", I come back and it's at 10%. If I charge it up to 100% and start browsing, watching some YouTube, looking at banking Apps and Google Docs - very modest use - within 2/3 hours we're already down near 60-70%. Turn down the brightness and you might help that out, but you can't see much.

My biggest hope is MacBook Pro - type battery life for the mini. I want to read books with it and take it with me, but even now it's very tough to rely on it knowing that the battery is such a drain.

Bigger batteries = longer battery life. The short battery life with the mini is in the name. This won’t get better.

geta

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2010
The Moon

Something wrong with your Mini 6, possible one of your apps “eating” your battery… maybe fresh iOS install could help.

After 7h of usage with apps like safari, mail, youtube, message apps, plus few other apps, im still having 38% battery.

Reactions: Student of Life

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015

Standby has worsened a lot since iPadOS 13, but it still shouldn’t be that poor. 20 minutes of screen-on time ans 3 days of standby shouldn’t drain it to 10%.

2-3 hours of usage from 100% to 70% with high brightness is normal, though. It’s not an iPad thing. No iOS device (or device ever) in existence has managed good battery life with high brightness.

For reading books, battery life is insanely good, at least with the iBooks app, and at least provided that brightness isn’t at max. Let me give an example, because I actually tested this. My 9.7-inch iPad Pro got 21.5 hours of screen-on time reading iBooks at low brightness on iOS 9. Normal usage got me 13-14, so that’s amazing battery life. I see no reason for which a Mini 6 can’t have good battery life with iBooks, again, provided brightness isn’t too high.

If you fix the standby drain (which should be fixable, that’s too poor even by iPadOS 17 standards), then you shouldn’t have issues for iBooks.

millydog

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2007
Australia
Today I went cycling in the wooded area of Naples FL
and saw
2 large male deer
1 brown bear and 2 cubs in the distance
( I tough of a cartoon and could not jot that down)
several hawks
that usual 8 foot alligator still smiling in the creek-pond
and 14 mosquitoes on my legs

since I forget I own an iPhone, and hate being bothered,
im debating getting a

IPAD MINI 6gen

for camera usage
reading outside (we get too music sunshine here)
drawing :)apple: pencil gen 1)
and something portable as the iPad gen 10 is too large for this occasion

WILL this take good photos, be visible in sunlight (not direct)
and work with an :apple: pencil gen 1?
Or are they releasing a newer iPod in 2014 spring.
Since the color options sinceI do prefer the blue line of :apple: products
as the watchband, iPod and iPhone are in the color

thanks in advance.

The iPad mini 6 has a 12MP camera. I’m not a professional photographer, so can’t comment on all of its features, but it’s sufficient for photo taking. I recall that it’s similar to the camera on an iPhone XS. You only get the one camera lens, but you do get a flash.

I don’t think I’ve really used mine in bright sunlight as I prefer the shade. I use mine in the car and outdoors in the shade without issue. Screens do tend to get washed out a bit in bright sun, so I’d expect it to be a bit harder to see if you are in direct sunlight.

It uses the Apple Pencil Gen 2 and doesn’t work with the Gen 1 pencil.

There isn’t a blue iPad mini 6, if that is what you were asking. Purple was a popular colour at launch, while starlight and space grey are neutral. I got the pink one and it’s a very light and soft colour tone.

In most countries, you can buy from Apple with a return window of a couple of weeks. You can try it and see if it meets your needs. At this stage, I’d be more inclined to wait for the next version though as it’s expected to be released this year. Depends on how quickly you need it though.

Reactions: MBAir2010

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
The iPad mini 6 has a 12MP camera. I’m not a professional photographer, so can’t comment on all of its features, but it’s sufficient for photo taking.
thank you, that info helped!

the iPad mini would be used for a photo of deer, bears etc for showing not meant for publishing,
just a simple images a scene I witnessed.

As a freelance nature photographer years ago,
last decade I used to carry around a Nikon and revved stern looks from many a passerby.
once i had to show a police officer my bird (herons) photos through the finder screen I took in a county park
to appease an overbearing parent whom wrongfully complained I was photographing their kids.
thankfully other witnesses stood up for me saying I was nowhere near their kids.

Meanwhile, these "smart" phones can cause more privacy damage than a SLR digital camera.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.