Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

geta

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2010
The Moon
I just feel like that would be such a waste of money if a better one was going to come out in a few months. It’s not like the 6 is a year old, it’s actually very old at this point. And if I remember correctly, even when it debuted it wasn’t very advanced compared to the other iPads.

That’s what I liked about my iPad mini 2, when it was released it was on par with the other iPads instead of being a step back like most of the other mini releases.

With the holidays around the corner, im sure you can find good deals…
As for the next Mini, I doubt it will get M chip, my guess A17 and hopefully more RAM.

Reactions: Rafterman

geta

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2010
The Moon
The Mini 6 have perfect sized bezel, thinner then that and it wont be comfortable to hold. And notch will be the last thing i would like to have on it.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
As for the next Mini, I doubt it will get M chip, my guess A17 and hopefully more RAM.

I would agree. Though, the only way I could see it is if Apple just wants to simplify production and not keep having to make A chips for iPads. Maybe even iPhones will move to M chips some day.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
With the holidays around the corner, im sure you can find good deals…

I’m hoping we see A17 Pro. It’s a really nice size for handheld gaming.

Reactions: geta

Elusi

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2023
I would agree. Though, the only way I could see it is if Apple just wants to simplify production and not keep having to make A chips for iPads. Maybe even iPhones will move to M chips some day.
The iphone? A and M series sans details of the memory subsystem are very similar architecture-wise and mostly separated by marketing.

The A-series chips have the perfect optimized size for small devices where they fall well on the perf/w scale while you can fit more of them on a wafer. It's the perfect chip for the devices it's put in. Kind of like how the M3 Max isn't getting downclocked to be put in a Macbook Air. It would work, but be sub-optimal from many standpoints.

I think this is the main issue for the A-series, customer perception. Maybe they should change the letter to an M just to please people. Not starting to include ~140mm^2 chips in devices that can't make full use of them.

I mean.. sure. Maaybe they'd get away with it in the Mini. Low-volume product. Perception among customers will be that it's "turbo charged". Though I don't see really how it simplifies things for manufacturing. Regardless, a chip goes on a logic board.

My only wish for my mini is FaceID. Love the size and keep it in the SUV for use when needed.
It's been a horrid experience on my iPad Pro to have about 50% of unlocks fail because I need to face it from the perfect angle and distance. So whatever they add I hope they keep that awesome TouchID-button.

Reactions: geta and Digitalguy

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
The iphone? A and M series sans details of the memory subsystem are very similar architecture-wise and mostly separated by marketing.

The A-series chips have the perfect optimized size for small devices where they fall well on the perf/w scale while you can fit more of them on a wafer. It's the perfect chip for the devices it's put in. Kind of like how the M3 Max isn't getting downclocked to be put in a Macbook Air. It would work, but be sub-optimal from many standpoints.

I think this is the main issue for the A-series, customer perception. Maybe they should change the letter to an M just to please people. Not starting to include ~140mm^2 chips in devices that can't make full use of them.

I mean.. sure. Maaybe they'd get away with it in the Mini. Low-volume product. Perception among customers will be that it's "turbo charged". Though I don't see really how it simplifies things for manufacturing. Regardless, a chip goes on a logic board.

It's been a horrid experience on my iPad Pro to have about 50% of unlocks fail because I need to face it from the perfect angle and distance. So whatever they add I hope they keep that awesome TouchID-button.
Totally agree on both A vs M chips and on Face ID!

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2022

I must be doing it wrong and keep my iPad Pro generally pointed at my face and find FaceID works 99% or the time transparently!

Reactions: G5isAlive

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
I must be doing it wrong and keep my iPad Pro generally pointed at my face and find FaceID works 99% or the time transparently!
It's simply a matter of how you use your device. I use multiple devices on my desk (not just iPads) and the face ID fails most of the time because I am either not at the right angle or too far. I ended up disabling it in my 3 iPad pros. Conversly Windows hello works much better (wider angle, can even unlock while standing, good luck unlocking an iPad on its MK while standing.... and farther away from the laptop)

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2022
It's simply a matter of how you use your device. I use multiple devices on my desk (not just iPads) and the face ID fails most of the time because I am either not at the right angle or too far. I ended up disabling it in my 3 iPad pros. Conversly Windows hello works much better (wider angle, can even unlock while standing, good luck unlocking an iPad on its MK while standing.... and farther away from the laptop)

Well OK . . . .

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA

Same kind of setup here but my M1 12.9 is situated such that face ID works the large majority of the time. But my Surface Pro 7 is amazing in its detection, far better than the iPad. I'm another who would like a face ID option with my Mini 6.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Same kind of setup here but my M1 12.9 is situated such that face ID works the large majority of the time. But my Surface Pro 7 is amazing in its detection, far better than the iPad. I'm another who would like a face ID option with my Mini 6.
that's exactly the point, in your case it makes sense, but for me the iPads are positioned to the side of my computer, either on a stand or on their Magic Keyboard, so I really need to take the time to position my face properly every single time to unlock each device, which is particularly annoying when you have more than one. So no face id for me. Fortauntely I fully trust people that come to my house and I only enable it when travelling.

Reactions: sparksd

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Even the correct CPU is more then fine, the biggest minus the Mini 6 having is the lack of RAM, 8GB would be perfect.

Unless you really need the smaller size, the Air would seem a better cost effective choice. 8GB RAM (vs 4GB in the Mini), M1 processor, and a Magic Keyboard option.

Reactions: BigDO

geta

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2010
The Moon
Unless you really need the smaller size, the Air would seem a better cost effective choice. 8GB RAM (vs 4GB in the Mini), M1 processor, and a Magic Keyboard option.
The Air is a great device but its to big, and Magic Keyboard is not a feature i care for.
The Mini 6 is the perfect size for my needs, the correct A15 CPU is strong enough, but the only thing its missing is more RAM.

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2013
UK
It depends when in the lifecycle it was purchased. When I got mine, the Air 4 was a year old model with an older processor and the same RAM as the Mini 6, but costing £100 more.

I am a fan of the Mini form factor and have learned to wait for the Apple product I’m interested in to be updated before buying. The Mini was the better buy in September 2021, but had I needed an iPad 6 months later, I’d have opted for the Air - the spec improvements outweigh my preference for the form factor and were beyond what was predicted at that time. Given that the Mini tends to lag behind a little, the Air 5 might remain a better buy than a newly launched Mini 7.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
Today I went cycling in the wooded area of Naples FL
and saw
2 large male deer
1 brown bear and 2 cubs in the distance
( I tough of a cartoon and could not jot that down)
several hawks
that usual 8 foot alligator still smiling in the creek-pond
and 14 mosquitoes on my legs

since I forget I own an iPhone, and hate being bothered,
im debating getting a

IPAD MINI 6gen

for camera usage
reading outside (we get too music sunshine here)
drawing :)apple: pencil gen 1)
and something portable as the iPad gen 10 is too large for this occasion

WILL this take good photos, be visible in sunlight (not direct)
and work with an :apple: pencil gen 1?
Or are they releasing a newer iPod in 2014 spring.
Since the color options sinceI do prefer the blue line of :apple: products
as the watchband, iPod and iPhone are in the color

thanks in advance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.