Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SolarSailer120

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2022
The iPad Mini 6 is really solid. I know some people complain about the screen, but that didn't bother me. But for me personally, I didn't like the size ratio of the elements. What I mean is, things like widget ratios are not quite right, compared to the rest of the stuff on the screen. They are smaller than they should be.
The Mini is my favorite iPad, I got around the issue you mentioned by using the large icon setting (display zoom?)

Reactions: j26 and DesertN0mad

strpyw

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2000
I love my iPad mini 6 - it's fast, has a sharp screen, and is incredibly fast. That said, as soon as an M1 [or better yet, M2] iPad mini is released, I am jumping on that for one very specialized reason - Final Cut Pro requires an M1 or newer CPU. As someone who uses FCP on my Mac, it has been very, very challenging to use another video editing app on the mini while out on trail for months at a time. While an iPad mini certainly isn't a 2-display Mac setup, the learning curve for me, will be quite a bit easier since I've been using FCP since before the FCP X days. Combined with a light external SSD drive, the mini can be a very powerful, and light, mobile editing platform.
Better for a more efficient M3 eqivalent processor, A17?A18?

Delarock

macrumors regular
Dec 25, 2016
today i played with latest mini. I like its form factor, but after using all pro motion devices its display looks too much sluggish…..

H_D

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2021
The Mini is a brillant device. Where the iPadPro more or less fails as a replacement for a MacBook (with Keyboard its heavier than a MBA) and often, even in 11" feels a bit clumsy, the Mini is the perfect small and mobile consumption device, ideal for reading books, magazines, comics and surfing the web. Even the TouchID is a boon, when reading in low light, where FaceID will fail you. It's the perfect paperback and can also handle Mail and Calendar and all that stuff. Even $%&/() Logic runs considerably well on it. I would love to have a Mini7Pro that gives me the smaller footprint but the Pro-Level-Features. Or, alternatively, a lighter, thinner Mini that is even more «less». I user my Studio, MBP, iPadPro etc every day, but the Mini has a very special part, it's the machine I use most for relaxing and not for any kind of work. It's in many ways the iPad Anti-Pro.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
The Mini is a brillant device. Where the iPadPro more or less fails as a replacement for a MacBook (with Keyboard its heavier than a MBA) and often, even in 11" feels a bit clumsy, the Mini is the perfect small and mobile consumption device, ideal for reading books, magazines, comics and surfing the web. Even the TouchID is a boon, when reading in low light, where FaceID will fail you. It's the perfect paperback and can also handle Mail and Calendar and all that stuff. Even $%&/() Logic runs considerably well on it. I would love to have a Mini7Pro that gives me the smaller footprint but the Pro-Level-Features. Or, alternatively, a lighter, thinner Mini that is even more «less». I user my Studio, MBP, iPadPro etc every day, but the Mini has a very special part, it's the machine I use most for relaxing and not for any kind of work. It's in many ways the iPad Anti-Pro.

I don't disagree, but if you have an iPhone Pro Max, the Mini loses some of it's advantages. A regular iPhone Pro is more noticeable, compared to the Mini. But if you do have a Max, the 11 feels a more substantial step up.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I don't disagree, but if you have an iPhone Pro Max, the Mini loses some of it's advantages. A regular iPhone Pro is more noticeable, compared to the Mini. But if you do have a Max, the 11 feels a more substantial step up.
All true, but personally if my phone was big enough to forgo a Mini then I probably wouldn’t get any iPad, unless I needed the Pencil. The Mini just seems to be the heaviest device I want to casually hold for any length of time. Any heavier and I’d want to set it down after a pretty short while, at which point I figure I might as well be using a laptop. So that Mini size is very uniquely compelling for tablet use in my opinion. But that’s me.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I guess, but for me it's always more of a question of which screen aspect ratio is better for what I want to do as well as if I'm going to need my Apple Pencil or not. Doesn't have much to do with the size difference between the two devices. If I'm going to be reading, watching a lot of video, taking notes during a call, or web browsing, the iPad will go with me rather than the iPhone. This is why I always go for the cellular models of things these days. It takes away some of the complexity in decision making.

Reactions: geta and Rafterman

muzzy996

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2018
iPhone Pro Max vs Mini is subjective. The Mini is clearly larger, with twice the screen area. I can't personally relate to the argument that if one has an iPhone Pro Max the iPad Mini loses some of it's advantages, though I can understand why some might feel that way. For me for browsing I'll always prefer my Mini or larger tablet to my iPhone Pro Max simply because more stuff fits on the screen means less panning and scrolling. OFC tablets larger than a Mini offer more screen real estate. All a matter of balancing what one wants to carry against what one wants out of the device.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
I guess, but for me it's always more of a question of which screen aspect ratio is better for what I want to do as well as if I'm going to need my Apple Pencil or not. Doesn't have much to do with the size difference between the two devices. If I'm going to be reading, watching a lot of video, taking notes during a call, or web browsing, the iPad will go with me rather than the iPhone. This is why I always go for the cellular models of things these days. It takes away some of the complexity in decision making.
True, although the cellular debate is moot for me because I just use my phone as a hotspot which works amazingly well.

Pruus

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2015
The mini iPad 6 is a no brainer. I have had 2 iPads, dib form, and after that 4 mini iPads. the form factor is great of the mini. And everything works fine. The iPad mini6, my last one, is fast and great to use. How faster do you want to have it? I does everything for me, from design to programming. Yes it's sometimes a littlebit to small, but I can take it with me wherever I go. This is my powermachine. I have also a few MacBooks and had a few iMacs. but now I'm very glad with the 27' monitor as monitor on my MacBook M1. so the ipadmini 6 is for me a no brainer. Even if there comes a new one in 2024. It will be faster and so on. But I cannot complain about speed and use.

j26

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
Paddyland
So I just picked up a used Mini 6 to fill the void left when my daughter took mine for college. I managed to trade in an old Surface Pro I had, so it cost me very little (about 50 quid). Loving having one in my hands again.

So now I have the best of both worlds - a Mini, and my funds intact, so if the next version is compelling, I can upgrade.😀

JSENNY25

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2008
Ohio
So I just picked up a used Mini 6 to fill the void left when my daughter took mine for college. I managed to trade in an old Surface Pro I had, so it cost me very little (about 50 quid). Loving having one in my hands again.

So now I have the best of both worlds - a Mini, and my funds intact, so if the next version is compelling, I can upgrade.😀
That is what I am considering doing.... trying to save a bit now so if it is an okish experience, not a big deal. If I love it and want to upgrade, I will not be out too much cash.

Reactions: j26

Dasherd

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2023
I want an iPad Mini very badly. But the 6 is so old. I know that no one could say for sure, but what are the chances of new iPads being debuted in the next few months?

xxFoxtail

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2015
NY
I want an iPad Mini very badly. But the 6 is so old. I know that no one could say for sure, but what are the chances of new iPads being debuted in the next few months?
Early March with the other iPads would make the most sense. But, there's rumors floating around that it won't be updated until Fall next year.

geta

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2010
The Moon
Old is gold. ;)

But seriously, no one knows when it will come… if you need it now, get the Mini 6, is a great device.

Reactions: DesertN0mad

Dasherd

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2023
Old is gold. ;)

But seriously, no one knows when it will come… if you need it now, get the Mini 6, is a great device.
I just feel like that would be such a waste of money if a better one was going to come out in a few months. It’s not like the 6 is a year old, it’s actually very old at this point. And if I remember correctly, even when it debuted it wasn’t very advanced compared to the other iPads.

That’s what I liked about my iPad mini 2, when it was released it was on par with the other iPads instead of being a step back like most of the other mini releases.

Jgboys1

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2020
Early March with the other iPads would make the most sense. But, there's rumors floating around that it won't be updated until Fall next year.
That works. Maybe a Christmas present to myself next year! I have the Mini 6 and I love it, but by this time next year I will probably be due for an upgrade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.