Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Surfsalot

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2023
My Mini 6 replaced my Kindle Oasis but I recently got a Kindle Scribe on sale and I absolutely love the big screen on it (why I bought it - I don't care about the note capabilities).
I tried one and loved it for the size, hard to justify the price here, they don't seem to go onsale.
Wish they made one with no pen cheaper.
iPad has too much glare even outside under a verandah.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I tried one and loved it for the size, hard to justify the price here, they don't seem to go onsale.
Wish they made one with no pen cheaper.
iPad has too much glare even outside under a verandah.

I was able to get the 32GB version for $270 - still steep but better than the usual $390. I thought I would end up returning it but found I really like it. I do a lot of reading every night before bed and I wanted to get away from my tablets for that.

Surfsalot

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2023
I was able to get the 32GB version for $270 - still steep but better than the usual $390. I thought I would end up returning it but found I really like it. I do a lot of reading every night before bed and I wanted to get away from my tablets for that.
They are $549AUD here, think they were $449 for prime days.
Do you use a case?

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
They are $549AUD here, think they were $449 for prime days.
Do you use a case?

I do use a case. Got this and really like it -

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BLNPSDWM

Much cheaper than the Amazon case and I prefer the pencil slot over the loose loop - and the horizontal book-like opening vs the Amazon's vertical open orientation. I was surprised by how much I like reading with this device (I've always been an avid reader but I'm retired so now I'm reading hours/day, at least a book/week. I have about 800 books on it).

Surfsalot

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2023
I do use a case. Got this and really like it -

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BLNPSDWM

Much cheaper than the Amazon case and I prefer the pencil slot over the loose loop - and the horizontal book-like opening vs the Amazon's vertical open orientation. I was surprised by how much I like reading with this device (I've always been an avid reader but I'm retired so now I'm reading hours/day, at least a book/week. I have about 800 books on it).
nice, what do you do with the pen?

Soulflower

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2011
It doesn't feel heavy and/or bulky for reading? I also have the Oasis which is smaller.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
The mini 6 is amazing - I bought one finally a year ago and kicked myself for not doing it sooner. Over a period of a few months it went from being my “reader” iPad to my primary iPad, displacing my M1 12.9”.

All that said, I’d really not buy one now unless you get a good deal on it. The mini 7 is certainly coming within a few months.

stocklen

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2013
The mini 6 is amazing - I bought one finally a year ago and kicked myself for not doing it sooner. Over a period of a few months it went from being my “reader” iPad to my primary iPad, displacing my M1 12.9”.

All that said, I’d really not buy one now unless you get a good deal on it. The mini 7 is certainly coming within a few months.
Thats exactly my experience too.

Always had iPads and worked my way up to the iPad pro 12.9" with magic keyboard.
It was always primarily a 'sofa surfing' machine and the pro with keyboard although functionally excellent was so heavy.

I got the mini almost on a whim and ever since the pro has been used less and less and now hardly ever.

I took the plunge last week and sold the pro - theres just no need to have it there collecting dust and depreciating in value.

My only iPad now is the mini. Never thought I would say that.... but it's small, light, big enough for what I need it for, and very portable to take away travelling etc.

My only iPad is a mini. The only iPad I would replace my mini with is another mini - so I hope that form factor gets some love at apple. Ive said this before but if the current A series chip is replace with another A series chip then thats not of any interest to me. The current one is plenty fast enough.
If, however they gave it the M1 chip (not M2 its not necessary) - and change the screen then those things are worth a look - but nothing else.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I use mine daily. It sits on my desk in front of me at all times and is used with Notes and OneNote as work ideas need to be sketched out before I start building something. When I'm not working it's my e-reader and laptop fill-in where needed. I used to use it a lot as a nightstand TV too, but now that nightstand mode on iPhone is a thing, I just use my iPhone on my new magnetic charger.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
The only regret i'm having with the iPad Mini 6 was that i didn't buy the cellular version…
I got cellular only because it was during the chip shortage and that was the only model I could find. I went ahead and activated it since it was there and have not regretted it. I use the cell connection a lot more than I thought I would.

Reactions: geta

IJBrekke

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2009
Long Beach, CA
It doesn't feel heavy and/or bulky for reading? I also have the Oasis which is smaller.
I have both the 1st gen (smallest) Oasis and the Scribe. The Scribe is a two-handed device, good for sitting in a rocking chair and reading. The Oasis is my one-handed reader for laying in bed on my side. The Scribe would be bad for this.

In other words, it’s all about how and where you read.

Reactions: Soulflower

Soulflower

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2011
I guess I'm glad I took the plunge and bought the mini 6 if it is going to be the middle of next year before they are released.

Reactions: RickTaylor

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I guess I'm glad I took the plunge and bought the mini 6 if it is going to be the middle of next year before they are released.
I think you can be confident in your purchase. Even next year if there is a new mini, rumors point to it being a spec bump rather than a major release. There will likely be no need to upgrade from the one you have. Right now, the mini is basically a small iPad Air. If that continues to be the case for the next model, I will be keeping my 6th gen. If they start adding more pro features (significantly better screen tech, significantly better battery, significantly better audio, etc.) I might be a little more tempted.

bevon7

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2012
Many, many (many!) moons ago one of the contributing editors of TidBits laid down the law for such a situation. "If the device available now will either solve your problem or make you life more enjoyable, buy now and be happy. It will do what you want even when the next new shiny device is released and will likely still do what you want even after the next, next new shiny device is released."
That said, I'll upgrade my iPad mini 6 if the new version provides more screen real estate by reducing/eliminating bezels; if it is simply a speed/storage bump, I'll remain happy with the 6.
i believe the tablets Moses received were iPad minis-the form is perfect, so it must be from God/Steve.

Reactions: RickTaylor

hufflematt

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2015
UK
Started a new thread with this, but it might be more appropriate here:

I bought the iPad mini 6 on the day it was released and use it all the time. I was flirting with buying an iPad Air to replace it when I saw Amazon have the 256GB mini (in Starlight only) for 27% off, so £540 instead of £749.

My plan would be to sell my existing mini. Music Magpie is offering £230, though I’ll try eBay first.

So for around £300 I’m getting a new battery, a storage bump and an exiting new colour (my existing one is Space Grey). Oh, and one that doesn’t have a scratch on the bezel (whoops).

Wondering how depleted my existing mini’s battery will be by now? Two years of 2-4 hours a day of use.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
90% battery health. 450 cycles.
still pretty good I would say... so the battery argument is not very strong... the color one.... the only real argument is storage I think, so is the storage bump worth the £300? Or are you better off waiting for a mini 7, which might bump the base storage to 128GB and give the device a better screen and more RAM?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.