Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

houttbe

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2002
Brussels, Belgium
Yes it’s a great little device, fits into my manbag, super for note-taking with pencil and is much more convenient to type a quick email or message than the iphone. Only downside is battery life, I’ve done everything to optimize it but doesn’t last me longer than 3 or 4 hours note-taking or browsing.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
This is why I got an iPad Pro... for some reason, Apple likes being stingy with RAM.

I have iPad Pros. It’s just easier to shuck the iPad mini inside my purse. It’s also my preferred size for portrait mode reading. Between the size and my annoyance with reloads, the size still wins.

If Apple releases an iPad mini 7 with 8GB RAM this year though, I’m definitely buying on day 1.

floral

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2023
Earth
I have iPad Pros. It’s just easier to shuck the iPad mini inside my purse. It’s also my preferred size for portrait mode reading. Between the size and my annoyance with reloads, the size still wins.

If Apple releases an iPad mini 7 with 8GB RAM this year though, I’m definitely buying on day 1.
I know, I love the iPad mini too. It took a good amount of time to get used to the "normal" size, but... 3GB of ram? You can barely get 1GB out of that with how much the OS sucks it up.

Crow_Servo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2018
America
I know, I love the iPad mini too. It took a good amount of time to get used to the "normal" size, but... 3GB of ram? You can barely get 1GB out of that with how much the OS sucks it up.
To be fair, 3GB RAM is for Mini 5. Mini 6 has 4GB RAM. Still a very low amount, when you consider the latest Pro iPhone has 8GB RAM, and so does the latest iPad Air.

Reactions: gotong

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013

The mini 6 has 4GB. But yeah, there’s really not much RAM available for apps. The mini 6 I use mainly for reading with light browsing/forums on the side. I often switch to either the Pro 11 or 12.9 for heavier browsing.

floral

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2023
Earth
To be fair, 3GB RAM is for Mini 5. Mini 6 has 4GB RAM. Still a very low amount, when you consider the latest Pro iPhone has 8GB RAM, and so does the latest iPad Air.
Oh. Well, that's good. But still not much better... my laptop, with half of the cost, also has 4GB ram. Even $50 Chromebooks come with 4GB (more like 3.8, but still!)

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019

My guess is that they will give it A16 with 6GB of RAM, still a big improvement over 4

Fozziebear40

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2008
Newton-le-Willows, England
The problem with the Mini 6, in portrait mode, the screen isn't wide enough to view web pages nicely, and in landscape mode, you don't see enough rows. I have a Mini 5 and it is great viewing MacRumors Forums for example. The proportions of the screen are better. Is their a Display Zoom option, More Space, like on the 11" Pro's?

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
What's wrong with viewing MacRumors in portrait on iPad 6? Here's a screenshot...

MacRumorsiPad.jpg

Seems perfectly fine and "nicely" usable to me.

Modern websites like MacRumors are generally "responsive" websites, adapting themselves to fit any screen size. Non-responsive websites don't adapt and can be more difficult to use on smaller screens. However, the latter is not limited to iPad Mini 6 but all screens (like iPhone too) that have (target display) resolutions below whatever the web designer chose as minimum display width. If one wants to use such sites, there is simply more side to side scrolling. If I encounter such a site and want to use it, I generally just take note and check it later when I'm in front of a desktop or laptop (size) screen.

Last edited:
Reactions: geta

j26

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
Paddyland
I loved my Mini 6 until my daughter took it for college. It's very versatile and portable, and I'm looking to replace it.

Like you, I'm now debating whether to buy one now now, or wait till the 7 comes out. The A15 processor is plenty good enough, even for video editing with Lumafusion. The "jelly scroll" doesn't bother me, and the rest of the specs of the screen are fine. However, 64gb is too small (for me) and the 256 is pricey. If the Mini 7 came with 128 as base storage, I'd be kicking myself if I'd bought the 6/256.

Reactions: HobeSoundDarryl

Soulflower

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2011
I loved my Mini 6 until my daughter took it for college. It's very versatile and portable, and I'm looking to replace it.

Like you, I'm now debating whether to buy one now now, or wait till the 7 comes out. The A15 processor is plenty good enough, even for video editing with Lumafusion. The "jelly scroll" doesn't bother me, and the rest of the specs of the screen are fine. However, 64gb is too small (for me) and the 256 is pricey. If the Mini 7 came with 128 as base storage, I'd be kicking myself if I'd bought the 6/256.
I ended up buying one. Best Buy ad matched Amazon and they have them $100 off on yesterday and today. I also had a trade-in and got a little more off so in my case it seemed like an ok deal. I'm very happy with it.

Fozziebear40

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2008
Newton-le-Willows, England
What's wrong with viewing MacRumors in portrait on iPad 6? Here's a screenshot...

View attachment 2293098

Seems perfectly fine and "nicely" usable to me.

Modern websites like MacRumors are generally "responsive" websites, adapting themselves to fit any screen size. Non-responsive websites don't adapt and can be more difficult to use on smaller screens. However, the latter is not limited to iPad Mini 6 but all screens (like iPhone too) that have (target display) resolutions below whatever the web designer chose as minimum display width. If one wants to use such sites, there is simply more side to side scrolling. If I encounter such a site and want to use it, I generally just take note and check it later when I'm in front of a desktop or laptop (size) screen.
I probably exaggerated a bit 😬 but I do prefer the proportions of the mini 5. I bought a mini 6 when it came out but returned it. I’m happy they are upgrading the mini, keep it going when I’m ready to upgrade.

Jim Higgins

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2018
I was really hoping they would update the iPad mini but that didn't happen. I don't have to have it, but I'm really wanting a smaller iPad. Doesn't anyone still have and like the iPad Mini 6? Should I continue to wait?
I still have, and love, my iPad Mini 5 256GB and I am eagerly waiting (until 2024 if necessary). I had a chance to handle the 10" models and found them to be too big to suit me. Hand in there-my wife has a Mini 2 and a Mini 4.

Reactions: Fozziebear40

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
I'll add myself to the list of the mini 5 fans (have a 64GB cellular one since launch and recently bought an identical one for an incredible $150 as a spare one, and before that I have had the mini 4 and 2). The only things I like better in the mini 6 are the pencil and USB C. But I really like the audio jack and touch id in the mini 5, I also prefer the lighter cover. The speed and RAM difference is not worth the upgrade. Honestly, I really want promotion to upgrade. I don't care about it in general, but I do care for scrolling when reading and that's the best device for reading. But I guess my mini 5 will have to live a few more years before Apple finally gives it promotion

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
I wouldn't trade in a Mini at Best Buy. Best Buy can give decent prices but I checked with a Mini 6th and it was $60!

You can get 3x that at of any of the brokers. Apple trade in would probably get a better price than B.B.

Soulflower

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2011
I wouldn't trade in a Mini at Best Buy. Best Buy can give decent prices but I checked with a Mini 6th and it was $60!

You can get 3x that at of any of the brokers. Apple trade in would probably get a better price than B.B.
Actually, the trade in value at Apple was only $40. I traded in a 1st generation iPad Air that my grandkids have used for years. I still have an iPad Pro 7.9 that I'm hanging on to.

rulymammoth

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2015

$60? Are you sure you didn't input something incorrectly? In my experience, BB is competitive with Apple Store trade in values.

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
$60? Are you sure you didn't input something incorrectly? In my experience, BB is competitive with Apple Store trade in values.

Yes. The latest model listed was Mini 4 for $60. The listings aren't specific, and asks only if it's in 'good shape' and turns on, that sort of thing. If you sell these to a broker, they ask very specific questions, so you can get more.

Best Buy must either wholesale them out, or dump them, the incentive being a sort of a discount, like education, etc. Really I don't have a clue.

But you can see yourself. I often try for a number of things, just to see. Not much love for the Mini. Never was LOL

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
I wish the Mini 6 had a dock, like the Magic Keyboard acts for the iPad Pros. It doesn't even have to be a keyboard, just a magnetic dock. There are some third party solutions, but they use a case to magnetically attach to a dock. But the iPad Mini 6 already has magnets. I would like to see a data port on the iPad 7 Mini, like the Pros have now, so a mag dock could be made.

Or maybe do something similar to what the iPhones use now, with the Mag mount.

rovex

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2011
2 years on, one of the best devices I’ve ever bought ! Saved me lugging around my laptop many a times !

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
It replaced my Kindle, which I *never* thought would happen. I just absolutely love the size - it's a fantastic device. My only complaints are related to iPadOS, so it's not the mini's fault. :)

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
It replaced my Kindle, which I *never* thought would happen. I just absolutely love the size - it's a fantastic device. My only complaints are related to iPadOS, so it's not the mini's fault. :)

My Mini 6 replaced my Kindle Oasis but I recently got a Kindle Scribe on sale and I absolutely love the big screen on it (why I bought it - I don't care about the note capabilities).

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
My Mini 6 replaced my Kindle Oasis but I recently got a Kindle Scribe on sale and I absolutely love the big screen on it (why I bought it - I don't care about the note capabilities).

The Scribe also was the first Kindle to have enough storage to store all my books. But when I got it, I was disappointed to find the annoyingly large number of books I had that were not compatible. Things like older books from the Kindle store that are comprised of jpeg images.

So it was back to iOS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.