Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Downs2011

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 7, 2013
Maryland, USA
When the iPad mini was first released many felt like it should be skipped and that the next generation would have a better display and more power. This turned out to be true. The 2nd generation mini was on par with the Air 1 and that made it an amazing deal with added portability and still $100 cheaper than the Air models. So does anyone think that the iPad Pro 2 could be the true "Pro" tablet to wait for? We definitely won't have tons of support right after release and iOS just isn't ready to be a professionals primary OS. Maybe the Pro 2 with include a USB type-C connector that will open the door for a lot of new capabilities in iOS. I mean really, if they can fit 4 speakers on this thing they can for sure fit a type-C connector somewhere right?

Reactions: mattoligy

flur

macrumors 68020
Nov 12, 2012
Well, yes, the first release of any product is going to be a "first gen" product. And yes, the second release is going to be better than the first. If that bothers you, don't buy. If you like/want/need the functionality, then do buy.

There are lots of people who have bought first gen tech and have no regrets about it, myself included.

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
YES. Wait for the version with 3D touch, you'll be glad you did. It'll be lighter and thinner, too. And likely supported for like 200% longer than the quickly deprecated first version if history is any guide.

Reactions: AleXXXa and lympero

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
Yes, but if you wait for the THIRD version, that one will be even BETTER!

That is true. HOWEVER. I got burned by iPad 1. I even feel slightly burned by iPad Air 1. Version 2 of both of those had much more support for much longer. ipad was a door stop very quickly (it shipped with iOS 3.x)

Reactions: AleXXXa

mattoligy

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2010
Cloud 9
Not to bothered about 3D Touch but the probability the 2nd gen pro will be thinner and lighter coupled with the fact there won't be many apps taking full advantage of the larger screen size for a good few months, perhaps longer, kinda makes me think the 1st gen is worth skipping... But I do agree with those expressing sarcasm above in that, we can always wait until next years model and if we kept thinking like that we would never buy anything at all.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
iPad Prosumer is currently the best of the iPads. Only thing is it needs a price adjustment to $599 for the 32GB WIFI model which would make it a more reasonable $100 premium over the iPad Air 2 16GB WIFI.

Reactions: loveandhavefun

TommyA6

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2013
That is true. HOWEVER. I got burned by iPad 1. I even feel slightly burned by iPad Air 1. Version 2 of both of those had much more support for much longer. ipad was a door stop very quickly (it shipped with iOS 3.x)
iPad Pro is a powerhouse with 4 GB of RAM. No need to worry about longevity with this one.

iPad 1 only had 256 MB of RAM when even the iPhone 4 had 512 MB just a couple of months later.
iPad Air only had 1 GB of RAM (and less free RAM than iPad 3/4) and a normal A7 chip which wasn't that much faster than A6X graphically (40-50% maybe).
iPad Pro is significantly more powerful than PS3.

Reactions: temna

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
When the iPad mini was first released many felt like it should be skipped and that the next generation would have a better display and more power. This turned out to be true. The 2nd generation mini was on par with the Air 1 and that made it an amazing deal with added portability and still $100 cheaper than the Air models. So does anyone think that the iPad Pro 2 could be the true "Pro" tablet to wait for? We definitely won't have tons of support right after release and iOS just isn't ready to be a professionals primary OS. Maybe the Pro 2 with include a USB type-C connector that will open the door for a lot of new capabilities in iOS. I mean really, if they can fit 4 speakers on this thing they can for sure fit a type-C connector somewhere right?

Next Years iPad Pro 2 will make Everyone CRY. Right now there are no Haters
Next year everyone with an iPad Pro 1 will be hating on the people buying the iPad Pro 2.

Whats to Hate?

#1. A10X CPU (the A9X is Apples first 4 Core CPU the A10X will have all the improvements over the A9X)
#2. Standardized 4K Resolution 2732 x 2048 iPad Pro 1 is limited to sub 4K IPad Pro 2 in 2016 will push 3840 X 2160 legitimate industry standard.
#3. Apple Pencil 2 improved Apple Pencil its a whole new product in itself Its perfect For Wireless inductive charging the solution now of Jamming it into the iPad Pro 1 is silly.
http://core0.staticworld.net/images...ro_apple_pencil_plugged_in-100613525-orig.png
#4. Next Gen Graphics It will Literally surpass the Xbox 360 The Roadmap for PowerVR who makes the GPU's Apple uses puts the Next Gen GPU's at or above Xbox 360 Level.
#5. This is Super Silly Look at all the WASTED space for the Speakers, Ditch 2 of them and Give use a Much bigger Battery. Image is just before mid page https://www.macrumors.com/roundup/ipad-pro/
if I am carrying around a $900+ 13" inch Tablet you know I can carry Headphones or a Bluetooth Speaker.

Reactions: AleXXXa

Commy1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2013
Canada
I'd say it's like a 1.5 gen product? Apple has been refining the iPad for some time now and I think they've got the design down pretty well. I feel like they had so much room to play in the iPad Pro (with regards to the speakers and such) that they could have rethought how components were placed inside and it wouldn't have mattered in the least. That said I doubt that it will change much from this version to the next. It's been said that the only thing that is keeping devices from getting thinner is the connectors themselves. By adding a USB-C you'd have added thickness and weight. What is more likely is the Lightening will become more central and they'll increase transfer speeds and make new $99 adapters or something.
Even more likely, almost everything will migrate to the Cloud so ports become obsolete. Isn't that the goal? No cords?

3D touch, as everyone seems to be whining about isn't something I'll be waiting for. It's such a huge screen, making the tactic feedback fluid and even throughout such a huge device would require (probably) more than 1 engine, or at least a bigger one that what fits in the :apple:Watch, iPhone 6S or maybe even the Touchpad in MacBooks.

I won't be waiting for the Pro 2, it's the same with every possible outcome regarding technology. If you wait for the next thing, yeah it'll be better but you'd have to be Tim Cook or Bill Gates to get your hands on the products before they're obsolete. As we've all experienced at some point or another, you buy "the latest thing" and in a few months it's boring or commonplace and it will always be that way. Get what you want, what works for you Now and be happy.:)

temna

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2008
YES. Wait for the version with 3D touch, you'll be glad you did. It'll be lighter and thinner, too. And likely supported for like 200% longer than the quickly deprecated first version if history is any guide.

Who says it will be thinner and lighter? Isn't the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus both thicker and heaver after adding 3D Touch?

temna

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2008

Considering I still use my first gen iPad from time to time, I don't feel burned, except for the fact that I went with the wifi model.. Still kicking myself for that how many years later?

Reactions: Billy95Tech

temna

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2008
Next Years iPad Pro 2 will make Everyone CRY. Right now there are no Haters
Next year everyone with an iPad Pro 1 will be hating on the people buying the iPad Pro 2.

Whats to Hate?

#1. A10X CPU (the A9X is Apples first 4 Core CPU the A10X will have all the improvements over the A9X)
#2. Standardized 4K Resolution 2732 x 2048 iPad Pro 1 is limited to sub 4K IPad Pro 2 in 2016 will push 3840 X 2160 legitimate industry standard.
#3. Apple Pencil 2 improved Apple Pencil its a whole new product in itself Its perfect For Wireless inductive charging the solution now of Jamming it into the iPad Pro 1 is silly.
http://core0.staticworld.net/images...ro_apple_pencil_plugged_in-100613525-orig.png
#4. Next Gen Graphics It will Literally surpass the Xbox 360 The Roadmap for PowerVR who makes the GPU's Apple uses puts the Next Gen GPU's at or above Xbox 360 Level.
#5. This is Super Silly Look at all the WASTED space for the Speakers, Ditch 2 of them and Give use a Much bigger Battery. Image is just before mid page https://www.macrumors.com/roundup/ipad-pro/
if I am carrying around a $900+ 13" inch Tablet you know I can carry Headphones or a Bluetooth Speaker.

#2: Are you on crack? That would make it a wide screen device, not the iPad 4:3. No more taking drugs before posting.
#3: The lightning port on the pen makes a ton of sense. If you forget to charge it, just plug it in the tablet to charge it. Having to bring a conductive charger with you as well as the Pro charger, that's just stupid.
#5: Apple designs everything for a certain battery life.. I'm surprised honestly by the battery life of my phone (6 Plus).. They put in the huge air channels because they had spare room behind the huge screen. And that's why the batteries are that size. To give the 10 hours on wifi, just like every other ipad.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I will admit to being surprised just how much emptiness there is inside the iPad Pro V1

Chambers for the speakers?
Quite shocked how empty it is in there compared to how packed other devices are.
I'd say there is a LOT of room for modifications to later models.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
I will admit to being surprised just how much emptiness there is inside the iPad Pro V1

Chambers for the speakers?
Quite shocked how empty it is in there compared to how packed other devices are.
I'd say there is a LOT of room for modifications to later models.

If the pencil proves to be up to the hype--the ipad pro will be worth it to a large number of design professionals. And there will finally be new functionality worth showing off in apple stores

Nausicaa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2007

I agree, and this is my number one hesitation as far as buying the Pro. Only two iPad's I've owned were iPad 1 and iPad Air 1 - both were crippled in significant ways. iPad 1 was better at crashing apps than anything else. iPad Air lacks enough RAM to feature key aspects of iOS 9 less than 2 years after release, and also crashes apps on the regular.
The one mitigating factor is that the Pro seems packed with RAM, and also a beefy processor. While I think it will miss out on critical 3D Touch and possibly expanded connectivity options going forward, in terms of raw speed and memory it should have a longer useful life than the other two iPads. This also means if you want to upgrade to Pro 2 in a year, I think the original Pro will hold its value pretty well.

Nausicaa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2007
Are we so sure the iPad Pro will be getting a yearly upgrade cycle?

Interesting point, especially in light of Cook's comments about Apple still figuring out how people use their iPads. It's been acknowledged that people upgrade their iPads less frequently than their phones, more in line with their computers. With the iPad Air 2 missing out on an update this year, I could see Apple alternating the two devices' upgrades on 2 year cycles going forward.

KittyKatta

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2011
SoCal
There are lots of people who have bought first gen tech and have no regrets about it, myself included.
Not trying to argue, but I'm curious what first get tech you bought that you didn't feel was inadequate.

iPhone - Monumental product but slow and lacking in many areas. It wasn't until 3GS that it really shined
iPad - Very heavy. iPad 2-4 and iPad Air 1-2 were all drastic improvements
iPod - Sync was flakey and the whole ecosystem had a long way to go before maturing
AppleTV - Actually a promising product but too slow and proprietary. AppleTV2 felt more complete.
MacBook Air - Very expensive for its abilities. Later replaced with cheaper and powerful MBA's
iPad Pro - Price. Lack of 3D Touch.

While every product needs a starting point, for me, its hard to say that First Gen stuff comes with no regrets because when you look back at it all then each one had some pretty severe compromises that were addressed pretty shortly afterward.

Last edited:
Reactions: Billy95Tech

KittyKatta

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2011
SoCal
Interesting point, especially in light of Cook's comments about Apple still figuring out how people use their iPads. It's been acknowledged that people upgrade their iPads less frequently than their phones, more in line with their computers. With the iPad Air 2 missing out on an update this year, I could see Apple alternating the two devices' upgrades on 2 year cycles going forward.

I think the iPad Air skipped this cycle because it would cannibalize iPad Pro sales.

Think about it.

iPad Air 3:
- 9.7" Screen
- A9X Processor
- Pencil and Smart Connector Support
$500

iPad Pro:
- 12.9" Screen
- A9X Processor
- Pencil and Smart Connector Support
$750

If Apple's goal was to create a new market (one that very few people actually asked for) then it just wouldn't make sense to create an appealing product like the Air 3 which would overshadow their newest product. So they likely withheld the Air3 to see if the Pro has any public interest and will allow the Air3 to compete next year.

Reactions: mattoligy

flur

macrumors 68020
Nov 12, 2012
Not trying to argue, but I'm curious what first get tech you bought that you didn't feel was inadequate.

iPhone - Monumental product but slow and severely lacking in many areas. It wasn't until the 3GS that it really shined
iPad - Very heavy. iPad 2-4 and iPad Air 1-2 were all drastic improvements
iPod - Sync was flakey and the whole ecosystem had a long way to go before maturing
AppleTV - Actually a promising product but too slow and proprietary. AppleTV2 felt more complete.
MacBook Air - Very expensive for its abilities. Later replaced with cheaper and powerful MBA's

While every product needs a starting point, for me, its hard to say that First Gen stuff comes with no regrets because when you look back at it all then each one had some pretty severe compromises that were addressed pretty shortly afterward.

I own the watch.

The thing about waiting for second gen is that you don't get to have that year using the product. That may be fine if you don't have a need or desire for it. If you do, then you're missing out. With the watch, I wanted what it offered. Of course the 2nd gen watch will be substantially better than the 1st gen, but that doesn't mean I'm not very happy with the one I'm wearing and very glad I didn't wait. I get a whole year with this watch (maybe longer, we don't know Apple's watch cycle plans), and I use it every day. I'd miss out on all the benefits it's bringing me now if I'd waited.

Products are only "inadequate" compared to whatever else is on the market at that time, or in hindsight. We don't live in hindsight. IMO the first iphone was lacking in many ways compared to what I was using at the time, but the ipad, ipod, watch, and the new ipad pro were/are all on par with or better than what was/is available across the market at the time of release.

IMO you should buy what you like and can afford. If a product meets your needs/desires and you can afford it and want it, get it. Deciding not to buy something now because of what might be available next year seems silly to me. There will always be something better next year, no matter when you buy.

Downs2011

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 7, 2013
Maryland, USA
I own the watch.

The thing about waiting for second gen is that you don't get to have that year using the product. That may be fine if you don't have a need or desire for it. If you do, then you're missing out. With the watch, I wanted what it offered. Of course the 2nd gen watch will be substantially better than the 1st gen, but that doesn't mean I'm not very happy with the one I'm wearing and very glad I didn't wait. I get a whole year with this watch (maybe longer, we don't know Apple's watch cycle plans), and I use it every day. I'd miss out on all the benefits it's bringing me now if I'd waited.

Products are only "inadequate" compared to whatever else is on the market at that time, or in hindsight. We don't live in hindsight. IMO the first iphone was lacking in many ways compared to what I was using at the time, but the ipad, ipod, watch, and the new ipad pro were/are all on par with or better than what was/is available across the market at the time of release.

IMO you should buy what you like and can afford. If a product meets your needs/desires and you can afford it and want it, get it. Deciding not to buy something now because of what might be available next year seems silly to me. There will always be something better next year, no matter when you buy.

I do agree, there will never be a perfect product of any kind so upgrades are inevitable of course. I am a launch day user of the Apple watch so I don't mind being an early adopter. The iPad Pro is very attractive but it is still just an the same iPad running iOS for A LOT more money. And with the iPad Airs on sale these days it's a really tough decision to make. I just think they have to make an exclusive OS somehow that will set the "Pro" model apart from the current Air and Mini or it will remain just another iPad. I will definitely be one of the first to try them out because touch devices of this size will most likely be the future of computing having specs better than our current gen Mac Pro's :) Apple will make sure they drain as much money out of us while giving us these toys for now...

sjleworthy

macrumors 68000
Dec 5, 2008
Penarth, Wales, UK
You are all correct. And not correct. It's a matter of personal choice.

Yes, if i buy a 1st gen this year, i will be gutted with next year option. Then, if i but Pro 2, i'll be devistated with those chaps buying Pro 3 the following year. And so on and on and on.

Apple's products are so bloody fantastic these days that the 1st gen / 2nd gen argument isnt like it used to be. The Pro will be Apple's fastest and best ipad out there. No competition. Until next time. And the next time after that. And after that.

Buy what you want and what suits you now. Will i be dissointed next year? Personally, certainly not. Else i'd never buy and be happy.

I'm still running my daily business needs on my ipad2 and thoroughly LOVE it. But, personally, even though im using ipad on a pro bases and need all the power i can muster, i'm no techie, and certainly cant worry and stress over the next Pro with it's upgrades. And of course i know they'll be better.

And i certainly wouldn't advise people not to buy. Thats a fairly naive attidute and quite immature. Especially considering no one knows if/when and how the next upgrades will be. That attitude you'd never buy or be satisfied.

If you want then go buy. You WONT be dissapointed. Unless every 'i' is dotted and every 't' is crossed, ie, every conceivable tech is used not all will be happy. Fair enough. Do what you will.

This will be the fastest and best ipad out there, even for 1st gen. Personally, i wont knock it. I cant wait!!!

Reactions: Ledgem
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.