Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Amazing Ox Space Monkey

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2015
The most important feature of the new iPad is the awesome screen size. Up until now, nobody has ever mentioned that the screen is exactly as big as a standart A4 sheet of paper (297x210mm). As a result of this, the new iPad will make the traditional sheet paper obsolete in quite a lot of use cases - printed documentation, students' notebooks, music sheets.

It's "only" downside is the hefty price. But hey, the less rich students/musicians may wait for the second generation and buy the discounted first then.

I had been waiting for a larger iPad for 3 years and I'm glad the dream product has been developed, announced and demonstrated. iPad is a bigger iPod? iPadPro is a bigger iPad? It's the right tool for so many cases.

Yet it does not replace a right computer, it should be seen as a complementing device. I understand the people who are sorry it does not run full Os X. As a full-time PHP programmer I am actually among that crowd. However, an iPad + pencil + keyboard weighs as much as the new retina macBook (and has twice less the storage in the best scenario) so given the current technology the iPad is not yet ready to fully replace a notebook. But we are moving towards that moment.

I am buying the new iPad Pro, perhaps the 32GB, and the pencil, to replace a 4 year old iPad 2 16GB. Or, I may gow all the way up to the 128GB if Nikon figure out a way to transfer the full-sized RAW files from their J-series to an iPad.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Id be curious what those missing things are (and if it is software or hardware).
Based on my experience with various iOS, Android, and Windows tablets/hybrids, I've concluded that the following are necessary for a "pro" device. This is my opinion, others will definitely disagree....

• Support for pointing devices (mouse/trackpad)
  • Support for USB peripherals (presentation remotes, thumbdrives, mouse/keyboard, wireless receivers, etc.)
  • "Common file area" (in addition to the current approach) - files that are easily and equally available and accessible by apps (rather than the current sandbox/silo approach)

Apple can provide support for those without compromising their vision for the iPad. Sales figures for this iPad Pro will determine if or how quickly Apple implements these things. Just as screen size and multiwindow did.

It is extremely unlikely, but a total failure in iPad Pro sales would send a loud message to Apple to implement these things.

Reactions: mrex

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
Based on my experience with various iOS, Android, and Windows tablets/hybrids, I've concluded that the following are necessary for a "pro" device. This is my opinion, others will definitely disagree....

<snip>

It is extremely unlikely, but a total failure in iPad Pro sales would send a loud message to Apple to implement these things.

Yeah, I agree that Apple does need to do something about the second and third items. I never expect the first to come to pass, really. And I've never felt like the iPad couldn't be productive without it. Yet, Apple is doing things in iOS to help fill some of those gaps (trackpad in the software keyboard for the text cursor for example).

Unfortunately, I think a total failure in the iPad Pro sales might send the wrong message, if they aren't getting the right feedback telling them why the sales flopped.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Yeah, I agree that Apple does need to do something about the second and third items. I never expect the first to come to pass, really. And I've never felt like the iPad couldn't be productive without it. Yet, Apple is doing things in iOS to help fill some of those gaps (trackpad in the software keyboard for the text cursor for example).

Unfortunately, I think a total failure in the iPad Pro sales might send the wrong message, if they aren't getting the right feedback telling them why the sales flopped.
I believe that Apple already knows that people want these things. They simply wait it out. Why add those things today when they can continue to sell the status quo until a point in time when they HAVE to produce them later? Then they offer the device with these features and people buy all over again. Why sell one tablet (the one with all the features) when they can sell two or more (by incremental upgrades)?

Consider the iPad Mini. Apple knew from day-1 that a smaller tablet would be viable. But they stuck with the iPad until OTHERS started to sell smaller tablets in numbers that had shown that there is a non-trivial number of customers who want it. THEN they produced the Mini.

The same with the iPad Pro. They're keeping an eye on the Surface line and on other hybrid Windows tablets. I will bet serious money that if sales increase on those devices to the point that demonstrates a non-trivial demand, Apple will implement all three of the items I've mentioned.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
i dont think Apple is looking just on sales of a product to upgrade them in the future
they release Apple watch edition and those are over 10.000$
they release Mac Pro and a fully loaded is around 9500$
they even release a watch with 1000$ that has the same specs like the 350$ model but with better material.
They can't expect to sell more ipads pro than mini or air because of its price but this don't stop apple to make the Pro model

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe

I feel exactly the same. I think im going to skip this first ipadpro (i was going to buy it), but i cant see any benefits over my air2 when thinking harder. Compairing ipadpro to my 3years old note tablet made me realized that i dont need this one. Even my old note can do multiwindow, support a keyboard and a mouse and have an optimized pen (without extra money). What i want to see, it is to be able to use a mouse. It is much more convient to write etc. when i can use bt keyboard and a bt mouse. When you use your tablet with a keyboard, it is abit hard to touch the screen. It is way much easier to use a mouse.

And pro without user profiles doesnt sound pro...

Last edited:

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2014
Well, yes, the first release of any product is going to be a "first gen" product. And yes, the second release is going to be better than the first. If that bothers you, don't buy.

I think you missed the core of his point. Do people think this first-gen is missing core features or is poorly-implemented, as has happened in the past?

sjleworthy

macrumors 68000
Dec 5, 2008
Penarth, Wales, UK
I think you missed the core of his point. Do people think this first-gen is missing core features or is poorly-implemented, as has happened in the past?

correct. i think gone are the days of first-gen teething issues and worries. it's first gen so it must be crap - this isnt the case i think. the Pro just wont be crap. it will be Apple's flag ship tablet. it will be their best item.

but will it incorporate all available top end features? probably not. not until the Pro2. then the Pro3. and so on.
thats not to say it will lack productivity and be a poor second just because 1 or 2 things aren't ideally implemented. cant please all of the people all of the time.

flur

macrumors 68020
Nov 12, 2012

Just because you don't agree with me doesn't mean I didn't understand the question.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
I believe that Apple already knows that people want these things. They simply wait it out. Why add those things today when they can continue to sell the status quo until a point in time when they HAVE to produce them later? Then they offer the device with these features and people buy all over again. Why sell one tablet (the one with all the features) when they can sell two or more (by incremental upgrades)?

What I don't get about the bolded comment is that people point out iterative software development, and then assume its some evil greed scheme. One of the great failings of the waterfall development model is what Microsoft has been bashed for: First gen products with lots of features, but none of them work all that great, and then take multiple revisions before it all gets sorted out. But when the alternative is done (prioritize features, and be willing to punt on others when they no longer fit your schedule), they get bashed for not producing everything. When you have limited time, it is always a zero-sum game. You can't just expand resources infinitely, and in the real world, you can't just delay until its perfect when you have competitors.

That said, I still would be surprised if iOS adopts a mouse in the future. Apple will likely try everything to make the non-mouse experience fill the gaps that a mouse would otherwise fill. About the only real argument for mouse support is when using an iPad in "laptop" mode with a keyboard so you aren't fatiguing your arm interacting with the screen.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
This is not a first gen product
The macbook it is and the apple watch and somehow maybe the new apple tv but that is a simple product with tvos

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.