Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattoligy

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2010
Cloud 9
Just because it's got a bigger display doesn't make it a first gen! It's still an iPad, and a bloody good one! It's a lot better than last years iPad! It has nearly twice the processing power, twice the ram, revolutionary speakers, a larger screen and a stylus to name a few!

And in regards to next years model you have to be realistic... Will we see a ram upgrade? Probably not! Will we see any more cores added? I seriously doubt it! Will we see a slight speed bump? Yes, but when don't we...

However, here's the things I think we might see in the pro 2...

Thinner and lighter design
More battery life (A10X)

Higher resolution display
Force/3D touch display

But remember this. It won't likely be all four, it will be the first two or the last two! If it does have a higher res display and or force touch it is likely not going to be thinner and lighter as force touch adds bulk (iPhone 6S) and more pixels could suck up more power and require the same size battery even after the A10Xs lower power requirements, or worse still, a bigger battery. Also, a higher res display would use more resources so again, maybe not much of a performance boost either (think iPad 3rd gen). And then you'll have to wait for the pro 3 and the A11X to compensate once again, like the iPad 4 did...

You have to weigh this all up and ask your self, is a higher res display and force touch really worth the trade off on an iPad that already boasts a beautiful display? If yes, wait for the pro 2, if no, get the pro 1 and if you want all of the above, you'll likely be waiting for the pro 3!​

Last edited:

rokey

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2011
NC
It really is amusing the things that people complain about.

The iPad Pro is so heavy, can you believe it?
Sweetheart, take off those 27 bangles on your wrists and you won't notice a darn thing. And guys, really... its less than 1.6 pounds, less than 0.8 pounds per hand. What does a 12 ounce beer weigh (uh, 12 ounces... 0.75 pounds)? Y'all sure do hold those well enough.

Its so expensive, why is it so expensive?
Providing you significantly larger screen with equal battery life, an excellent audio upgrade, and substantially improved performance... does someone here think that those things don't cost money? Apple is a business, not a charity.

The Pencil has a dumb charging connection.
Well guess what, at 12 hours of battery life, and 30 minutes of battery life achieved by a 15 second charge, a full charge can be had in just 6 minutes. Now assuming that the rate of charge will reduce when the Pencil reaches about 80%, we are still looking at under 10 minutes to charge from dead to full. Now, if you think about it, how many times will you need to charge the Pencil while you are waving the iPad Pro around in the air? Me, I'll probably only charge the Apple Pencil while the iPad Pro is laying flat on a desk/table/counter. If the Pencil is getting low on battery and I'm in a couch to use it and the iPad... I'm sure i can carve-out 30-90 seconds of down-time to give the Pencil a decent charge.

I'm an early adopter and I can say that from that perspective, the biggest thing that makes a product inadequate is the creativity/flexibility of the user. Think about it, Mobile Web Apps are getting pretty darn good. App Developers are getting good at making different versions for different devices. Accessory makers are bending backwards to sell you the shirt off their backs to ensure that you have every single accessory that you could want for... and then some.

First Gen devices are never perfect (Are Second Gen devices perfect? No, or there would never be a Third Gen.), they are good enough to set the stage for the Second Gen. They are good enough to help recoup some of the R&D costs for the whole product category. They are good enough to create a new market, or at least compete strongly in an emerging market.

Reactions: Rok73

ziggo

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
Eh I haven't worried about a "first generation" Apple product since the first iPhone.

Apple's resell value for products is phenomenal, and besides that if you want it and it fits your needs then you have the eventual ios9 upgrades to keep it fresh

linkgx1

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2011
Well, you might be looking at it the wrong way. The iPad Pro is exactly the same device as the iPad Air 2 and Mini 4....if you look at it's heart. If you are like me and never had an iPad before, then neither experience could go wrong. Now, if you currently have on that works for you, I'd skip the first gen.

I think the Pro is designed for people that need a ''bigger creativity canvas''.

mattoligy

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2010
Cloud 9
The iPad Pro is so heavy, can you believe it?
Sweetheart, take off those 27 bangles on your wrists and you won't notice a darn thing. And guys, really... its less than 1.6 pounds, less than 0.8 pounds per hand. What does a 12 ounce beer weigh (uh, 12 ounces... 0.75 pounds)? Y'all sure do hold those well enough.

Ok so I wasn't to worried about the weight until you just so clearly pointed that all out... You have successfully made me think this thing is going to be uncomfortable to hold...

Its so expensive, why is it so expensive?
Providing you significantly larger screen with equal battery life, an excellent audio upgrade, and substantially improved performance... does someone here think that those things don't cost money? Apple is a business, not a charity.

Significantly more space should in theory provide significantly more battery life, no? And substantially more performance is given with every iteration of an iDevice, it's what makes customers want to go out and give Apple even more of their hard earned cash and ditch their year old toy for the new one!

Don't worry fella, Apple are pretty far from a charity, being that they hoard enough money to end world hunger...

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
Significantly more space should in theory provide significantly more battery life, no? And substantially more performance is given with every iteration of an iDevice, it's what makes customers want to go out and give Apple even more of their hard earned cash and ditch their year old toy for the new one!

Don't worry fella, Apple are pretty far from a charity, being that they hoard enough money to end world hunger...

Is Apple forcing anyone to buy anything? Whats your complaint?

macs4nw

macrumors 601
When the iPad mini was first released many felt like it should be skipped and that the next generation would have a better display and more power. This turned out to be true. The 2nd generation mini was on par with the Air 1 and that made it an amazing deal with added portability and still $100 cheaper than the Air models. So does anyone think that the iPad Pro 2 could be the true "Pro" tablet to wait for? We definitely won't have tons of support right after release and iOS just isn't ready to be a professionals primary OS. Maybe the Pro 2 with include a USB type-C connector that will open the door for a lot of new capabilities in iOS. I mean really, if they can fit 4 speakers on this thing they can for sure fit a type-C connector somewhere right?
I would say in this particular case, unless you absolutely need one (or are made of money), it would be prudent to sit this one out and wait for gen2.

xmichaelp

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2012
YES. Wait for the version with 3D touch, you'll be glad you did. It'll be lighter and thinner, too. And likely supported for like 200% longer than the quickly deprecated first version if history is any guide.
It has 4GB of RAM. Support will not be dropped anytime soon.

I don't see how the next gen will be any pro "pro" than the current one. It's not like they're going to add ports or OS X. It will just be faster and maybe have 3d touch.

iPad Prosumer is currently the best of the iPads. Only thing is it needs a price adjustment to $599 for the 32GB WIFI model which would make it a more reasonable $100 premium over the iPad Air 2 16GB WIFI.

You think Apple will give your twice the storage, twice the RAM, and a much bigger screen for 100 dollars more than the Air 2? Keep dreaming.

Billy95Tech

Suspended
Apr 18, 2014
Not to bothered about 3D Touch but the probability the 2nd gen pro will be thinner and lighter coupled with the fact there won't be many apps taking full advantage of the larger screen size for a good few months, perhaps longer, kinda makes me think the 1st gen is worth skipping... But I do agree with those expressing sarcasm above in that, we can always wait until next years model and if we kept thinking like that we would never buy anything at all.

What is 3D touch???

Downs2011

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 7, 2013
Maryland, USA
besides, before you know it i'm sure the Pencil will happily replicate 3d touch for almost all apps if needed.

It's funny but I think the Pencil means the Pro already has 3D touch. It's just as pressure sensitive as "3D touch" is on the phone, if not more. You pay $99, you get 3D touch.:p

cariacou

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
it clearly seems like one.
runs iOS only > I expect the next generation to run a "desktop OS", much like the surface pro.
front facing camera low resolution > there would be quite a few great uses with a "usable" camera (ie 8mp+)
stylus great idea but still looks first gen: expensive for what it is
no 3d touch
low memory to be able to use it as a laptop let alone main computer
connectivity is pretty low. I would have expected a USB port (C, or lightning > USB cable, something)...

Mivo

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2015
Germany
I'm inclined to wait for the revised model, though that is in part because I'm really very happy with the Air 2 and don't feel a strong pull for a new device. The Pro would open up a few additional usage options for me, but it is also rather big, so for other things I'd still use my Air.

The Pro looks good to me (and I haven't really made a definite decision yet), there's just nothing about it that is must-have for me currently. So I may get the next MBR, then wait to see what the differences between the Air 3 and Pro 2 will be. Apps for the Pro will also have come along further by then. For me, that would probably be the most sensible approach.

But mileage and usage do vary.

Reactions: mattoligy

ragermac

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2007
As an art director. The iPad pro is a dream come true. I am not bothering to wait for Gen 2. I can always sell it and use the proceeds to buying the next version if it that much of an improvement. As others have said, if everyone waited for the second iteration of a device we would have nothing.

Reactions: Capt T and tekchic

Nausicaa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2007
As an art director. The iPad pro is a dream come true. I am not bothering to wait for Gen 2. I can always sell it and use the proceeds to buying the next version if it that much of an improvement. As others have said, if everyone waited for the second iteration of a device we would have nothing.

I feel the same. I've wanted a good stylus for iOS since the Pogo first released before the iPad was even a real product, and Brushes was the only good art app on the iPhone. In that time I've tried countless iOS styluses, other tablets, Wacom products, etc. And my hunger for an iOS stylus was never sated. Finally, they've come through and fulfilled my wishes. The lack of 3D Touch is the *only* feature that has me concerned about the devices longevity, and that's just not enough to keep me away. I want this product and I also want to support Apple's decision to invest in a stylus, hoping they continue to support and expand the product line well into the future. I do think the Pro is powerful enough that it will hold its resale value well if one decides to sell and upgrade for those more auxiliary features like 3D Touch.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
i think this ipad pro gen 2 will arrive in 2017. Or in 2016 with few cpu and gpu performance increased probably lighter, but i dont think they can make it a lot thinner like 6.1mm or so. and thats all..more than 4Gb RAM we will never see until 2018

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
I have an iPad 3. I don't really need it to be faster for anything other than potential multitasking and keeping up with art apps. Considering the pro is the beefiest iPad yet, it's good enough already.

There's really nothing they can add to revision 2 that'll make the first gen pointless, I mean.. 4GB and the new cpu, it's fast enough.

Making it lighter isn't that big a deal either - artists will be leaning it on something or using a stand, and it's pretty light already.

It really depends what you want it for though, if you wanted it for gaming (weird) then wait for Pro 2.. Super high poly 3d modelling? Wait.. Drawing? Why wait? 3D Touch doesn't add much for many peoples planned usage.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Apple's products are so bloody fantastic these days that the 1st gen / 2nd gen argument isnt like it used to be. The Pro will be Apple's fastest and best ipad out there. No competition. Until next time. And the next time after that. And after that.
Tell that to the people who bought the Air 1.

Buy what you want and what suits you now. Will i be dissointed next year? Personally, certainly not. Else i'd never buy and be happy.

I'm still running my daily business needs on my ipad2 and thoroughly LOVE it. But, personally, even though im using ipad on a pro bases and need all the power i can muster, i'm no techie, and certainly cant worry and stress over the next Pro with it's upgrades. And of course i know they'll be better.

And i certainly wouldn't advise people not to buy. Thats a fairly naive attidute and quite immature. Especially considering no one knows if/when and how the next upgrades will be. That attitude you'd never buy or be satisfied.

If you want then go buy. You WONT be dissapointed. Unless every 'i' is dotted and every 't' is crossed, ie, every conceivable tech is used not all will be happy. Fair enough. Do what you will.

This will be the fastest and best ipad out there, even for 1st gen. Personally, i wont knock it. I cant wait!!!
I think that you have some odd definitions for "naive" and "immature".

Blindly buying the latest and greatest is no different than blindly avoiding the 1st gen.

Everyone has different priorities and needs. Based on their firsthand experiences they'll draw a conclusion. That conclusion is right for them... not universally applicable to all. We can be helpful to others when we share our priorities and needs and what we decided to purchase and what to avoid. Then others can see which of those scenarios most closely matches their situation and consider the choices made.

I have a "sense" about gadgets. I can't explain it, but I have a knack for buying the right device at the right time for the right price for MY needs. I pre-ordered the iPad 1. Bought the iPad 2. knew to skip the 3. Bought the iPad 4. Knew to skip the Air 1. Saw the Air 2 as the next one but didn't feel the timing was right to buy it at launch. With the release of iOS 9 and exclusive capabilities of the Air 2 (plus a $150 off Air 2) it was time for me to buy NOW.

My "spidey" sense told me that now is not the time to buy the iPad Pro. There's one or two things missing from it that don't warrant buying it now. (no, 3D touch is not one of them)

I don't expect that people with different experiences, priorities, and needs as mine to agree with my decisions. To do so would actually be pretty foolish.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Just because it's got a bigger display doesn't make it a first gen! It's still an iPad, and a bloody good one! It's a lot better than last years iPad! It has nearly twice the processing power, twice the ram, revolutionary speakers, a larger screen and a stylus to name a few!
Sorry, but there is more to the iPad Pro than simply a larger screen. It IS a first gen. It is the first gen with the new keyboard connector. It is the first gen with support for an active stylus.

It is what it is. For some who avoid 1st gen products on principle, they should avoid this iPad Pro.

linkgx1

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2011
Sorry, but there is more to the iPad Pro than simply a larger screen. It IS a first gen. It is the first gen with the new keyboard connector. It is the first gen with support for an active stylus.

It is what it is. For some who avoid 1st gen products on principle, they should avoid this iPad Pro.
The biggest thing being a lack of 3D Touch. That is going to add so much more functionality to the iPad Pro. Yeah, next year's going to be better.

linkgx1

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2011
Tell that to the people who bought the Air 1.

I think that you have some odd definitions for "naive" and "immature".

Blindly buying the latest and greatest is no different than blindly avoiding the 1st gen.

Everyone has different priorities and needs. Based on their firsthand experiences they'll draw a conclusion. That conclusion is right for them... not universally applicable to all. We can be helpful to others when we share our priorities and needs and what we decided to purchase and what to avoid. Then others can see which of those scenarios most closely matches their situation and consider the choices made.

I have a "sense" about gadgets. I can't explain it, but I have a knack for buying the right device at the right time for the right price for MY needs. I pre-ordered the iPad 1. Bought the iPad 2. knew to skip the 3. Bought the iPad 4. Knew to skip the Air 1. Saw the Air 2 as the next one but didn't feel the timing was right to buy it at launch. With the release of iOS 9 and exclusive capabilities of the Air 2 (plus a $150 off Air 2) it was time for me to buy NOW.

My "spidey" sense told me that now is not the time to buy the iPad Pro. There's one or two things missing from it that don't warrant buying it now. (no, 3D touch is not one of them)

I don't expect that people with different experiences, priorities, and needs as mine to agree with my decisions. To do so would actually be pretty foolish.
I have that feeling too. Reminds me of when I skipped the DS, got the 3DS when it went down in price and got the New 3DS when it hit. For me to get something first gen, I have to a significant discount (or, like the Apple watch, it was better than a fuel band to me).

My main problem now is waiting for the ''perfect'' Macbook Pro.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003

Id be curious what those missing things are (and if it is software or hardware).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.