Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
I have had my 2021 12.9 iPad Pro for a few months now (since early November) and I still see blooming, but only at nighttime. I watched the new Dune (2021) on it this weekend and I was stunned with how good that movie looks on the miniLED display. Really love this iPad.

Sparxxx

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2009
I have had my 2021 12.9 iPad Pro for a few months now (since early November) and I still see blooming, but only at nighttime. I watched the new Dune (2021) on it this weekend and I was stunned with how good that movie looks on the miniLED display. Really love this iPad.

Watching Dune on such a small screen is a blaspehmy!!! :))).

ArmCortexA8

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
Terra Australis
Upgraded from the 4th Generation (128GB) iPad Pro to the 5th Generation (256GB) iPad Pro and the screen difference is amazing to say the least. As others have said it appears the "blooming" issues are due to implementation issues with overlays, and not the screen itself. I am surprised Apple didn't go with an OLED display (larger version of the iPhone 13 Pro Max one) but I suspect this screen tech was used either because of lower cost than OLED / reliability issues with OLED being so large, or both. It's possible this screen tech is simply a stop gap measure until OLED takes over. The speed of this new iPad pro is bonkers.

Reactions: VaruLV and vddobrev

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2012
The new Galaxy S8
See, this is why I don’t like mini-LED and prefer OLED. I was trying to watch a documentary in a dark room before bed on my 12.9” iPP, but the black levels are no different compared to the LCD iPads due to the blooming. When you have a video with some blacks on the screen, there’s too much around and the mini-LED squares are too large that it just looks like a normal washed out, low contrast LCD display. The mini-LED squares are so large too that the black bars above and below the video are lit up just like LCD iPads.

Yes, mini-LED is an improvement over LCD, but the blooming ruins it for me compared to OLED.

Then get a Samsung S8 tablet then, which has an OLED display?

The OLED display on the Samsung tablet is not as good as it can’t do HDR content as good like the mini-LED on the iPad Pro.

Last edited:
Reactions: pdoherty

VaruLV

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2019
So, given the rumors of Apple waiting on Samsungs development of double-stacked OLED panels, it seems that MiniLED has always been planned as temporary solution, at least in smaller screen devices like iPads.
Which is neither bad nor good, aside from blooming, which my cheap tempered glass screen protector probably makes more apparent, I do find its blacks deeper than on our households Surface Book which by itself has rather good display, albeit regular IPS.
By the time double stacked OLED's come to market and become abundant, my M1 iPP will still be relevant, but the itch to upgrade in 3-4 years will be hard to resist, if the world doesnt come to an end that is.

Sparxxx

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2009
Neah. Oled will always be better.
The mini led on the Ipad Pro is on of the biggest fails in any apple product.
I bet the next gen will use OLED. They just went for mini led because the Oled prices were still high.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I bet the next gen will use OLED. They just went for mini led because the Oled prices were still high.

Love my 2021 12.9 and yes, I have had tablets with OLED (Samsung AMOLED).

Reactions: vddobrev

vddobrev

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2016
Haskovo, Bulgaria
You know because you've had it and returned it or sold it? And you had numerous OLED tablets that are better?

Sparxxx

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2009
Yes. I had it, returned it because of the blooming effect.
I still use one at work. During day time it’s excellent. If you want to use it in low light condition (especially when watching a movie) it’s bad.
I bet Apple will go the OLED way.

Reactions: Wackery and xxray

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
This screen looks so much better than any OLED I used. It’s only downside is blooming and this will be fixed in the coming years with better tech

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
Has anyone else noticed an improvement in blooming lately? Not sure if it’s the latest iPadOS update or what, but it seems like the blooming is less obvious. Instead of there being a clear pillow around objects, it looks like there’s more of a fade/blend from the bloom to the pitch blacks.

Reactions: johntw

Ubele

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2008
Has anyone else noticed an improvement in blooming lately? Not sure if it’s the latest iPadOS update or what, but it seems like the blooming is less obvious. Instead of there being a clear pillow around objects, it looks like there’s more of a fade/blend from the bloom to the pitch blacks.
I think you're right! I watch content on my iPad in a dark room before bedtime. For the past week, I haven't been conscious of the blooming, like I had been previously. After I read your post , I made it a point to pay attention while I watched a couple episodes of Better Call Saul on Netflix last night. The blooming was very minimal.

VaruLV

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2019
Nope.
Was browsing twitter late last night, brightness set to mininum, could very well see illumination zones when using twitter in dark mode, it was terrible.
Other than that, during normal daily/evening use with some lights, its non issue for me.
It is, however, unacceptable for the price Apple asks for it worldwide.

Last edited:

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Watching Dune on such a small screen is a blaspehmy!!! :))).
I know but on the iPad Pro’s would not be such a bad experience if one doesn’t have a 4K TV/Monitor.

I still have love for the original feature film from Dino De Laurentis or the 2 mini-series and how they featured James McAvoy but none come close to the 2021 - that killed it. Yet it missed the core underpinnings (Litany of Fear, Butlerian Jihad, etc) Not sure why those were not so featured.

The Voice - well done!

Still iPad Pro is a great screen for Dune for personal in bed viewing.

VaruLV

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2019
We watched it on either iPP XDR or Surface Book's 13.5 IPS screen and it was still good experience.
Don't have and don't want tv either ?.

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
I bought a 2021 16" MacBook Pro, and the blooming is significantly reduced to the point where, so far, I can call it a non-issue. It's the closest I've ever seen to an OLED screen that's not an OLED screen.

It amazes me how much it's improved over the iPad, released only about 6 months before. I've been very loud on here about how irritating blooming is, how mini-LED feels like a stopgap before OLED, and how OLED is the superior technology. The blooming is so reduced and the quality of display is so high on the MacBook Pro that I no longer feel the need to have OLED instead.

I really wonder why the iPad blooming is so bad. I still suspect that it's software related because the iPad doesn't seem to have any sort of blending for the blooming. It's just a solid pillow around objects. Also, one light source seems to make a much larger bloom around it than it should given how many dimming zones there are.

Either way, I have renewed hope and faith in mini-LED displays if they can be as good as the one on the 16" MacBook Pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.