Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
oled is much better, and if ipad pro oled gets Apple treatment like their flagship phone, all ipad owners today would feel silly

All? No, I could care less about OLED and I'm sure a lot feel the same way. And why would anyone feel silly about their current product because the tech changed?

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
oled is much better, and if ipad pro oled gets Apple treatment like their flagship phone, all ipad owners today would feel silly
OLED has better blacks, that's all. I prefer a good LCD like the one in the iPad Pro over OLED for the rest.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
I have had my 2021 12.9 iPad Pro for a few months now (since early November) and I still see blooming, but only at nighttime. I watched the new Dune (2021) on it this weekend and I was stunned with how good that movie looks on the miniLED display. Really love this iPad.
Try it on a 65” OLED with Atmos…. That’s something special :)

But, you can’t do that on the train, so I still love my 12.9

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
I bought a 2021 16" MacBook Pro, and the blooming is significantly reduced to the point where, so far, I can call it a non-issue. It's the closest I've ever seen to an OLED screen that's not an OLED screen.

It amazes me how much it's improved over the iPad, released only about 6 months before. I've been very loud on here about how irritating blooming is, how mini-LED feels like a stopgap before OLED, and how OLED is the superior technology. The blooming is so reduced and the quality of display is so high on the MacBook Pro that I no longer feel the need to have OLED instead.

I really wonder why the iPad blooming is so bad. I still suspect that it's software related because the iPad doesn't seem to have any sort of blending for the blooming. It's just a solid pillow around objects. Also, one light source seems to make a much larger bloom around it than it should given how many dimming zones there are.

Either way, I have renewed hope and faith in mini-LED displays if they can be as good as the one on the 16" MacBook Pro.
This is what I don’t understand … do we have any idea of the dimensions of a single dimming zone on iPad? Given the 10,000 LEDs and 2500 dimming zones, we can assume each zone is a 2x2 LED square.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
This is what I don’t understand … do we have any idea of the dimensions of a single dimming zone on iPad? Given the 10,000 LEDs and 2500 dimming zones, we can assume each zone is a 2x2 LED square.
Pretty much. Going to the earlier posts of this thread, you can find images where people have captured what appears to be the grid of the “group of 4”.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
I’ll have a trawl through. Would be good to know if a single dimming zone = 4mm square, for example
Yeah, it’s quite a trawl. I can’t even remember what page it might be on, but I seem to think it’s more likely in the middle of the thread? The image I saw showed dimming zones larger than that, though.

VaruLV

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2019
In what way is OLED much better? The only thing OLED can do is having no blooming in a pitch black room, that is it.
Not true, you dont have to be in pitch black room to see blooming on miniLED 12.9 5th gen, also, you dont have to crank up the backlight to the max to see it.
Thats how it is with my iPP, blooming is visible, so are fading edges of the screen, thats where the tech is/was when it was released in an iPad, wishful thinking and talking trying to cover these shortcoming wont make them go away.
I still like mine, I didnt care that much for miniLED(I canceled my initial order due to worries about blooming) as much as I cared for 8GB of RAM in an iPad.

I agree, seems they turn way too many on
I also think that in some scenarios blooming could be "alleviated" by making all zones slightly brighter to have less contrast between more and less brightened portions of the screen, it would be cool if Apple made such feature and allowed users to turn it on or off as well as select the levels they in/at which they want this "effect' to work.
Then again, everyone has swallowed this pill already so why bother, plus it might miniLED perform more like regular LED with less deep blacks etc.

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2012
Not true, you dont have to be in pitch black room to see blooming on miniLED 12.9 5th gen, also, you dont have to crank up the backlight to the max to see it.
Thats how it is with my iPP, blooming is visible, so are fading edges of the screen, thats where the tech is/was when it was released in an iPad, wishful thinking and talking trying to cover these shortcoming wont make them go away.
I still like mine, I didnt care that much for miniLED(I canceled my initial order due to worries about blooming) as much as I cared for 8GB of RAM in an iPad.

I also think that in some scenarios blooming could be "alleviated" by making all zones slightly brighter to have less contrast between more and less brightened portions of the screen, it would be cool if Apple made such feature and allowed users to turn it on or off as well as select the levels they in/at which they want this "effect' to work.
Then again, everyone has swallowed this pill already so why bother, plus it might miniLED perform more like regular LED with less deep blacks etc.

I guess you have no idea about miniLED if you think the iPP is where the tech is at.

The miniLED on the 16” M1 Max MacBook replicates black bezels if the screen aspect changes. And the miniLED on the 16” M1 Max MacBook Pro is probably not even the best on the market.

VaruLV

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2019
I guess you cant read, I specifically mentioned about my 12.9 experience and said its where the tech is/was during iPad release.

Nowhere did I mention about any other devices, let alone ones that were released after 12.9 XDR.

Last edited:

vddobrev

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2016
Haskovo, Bulgaria
I've had my IPP 12.9 for about 10 months now. Yes, there is bloom in static content like in Notes App, or in the controls of TV app, or other pure white on black visuals.

But I must say, apart from the above, this has been the most amazing screen that I have ever consumed video content on in an iPad. Full stop.
I will take the blooming any day...

This is an amazing screen as far as video content is concerned! No question about this fact!

Reactions: grmlin and sparksd

Kal-037

macrumors 68020
Blooming occurs on every display tech and most likely will even do so with Micro-LED because… physics. Sure, It might be less noticeable, but it won’t vanish 100%.
All this complaining about this iPad is funny as blooming is on all iPad models since ipad 1 (again, because physics.) I love this new iPad, it looks better than any display I’ve owned. My TV is the same tech basically (except mini LED,) it has blooming but is beyond clear and just spectacular. The 2018 iPPs had bendgate and the touch display was wonky for like a month and a half after release, the iPP 4 had same issues, and even the displays back then were complained about for whatever reason. blooming is such a small and silly reason to create a #gate for these iPads. There’s always ridiculous “problems” with each tech release as it’s human nature to look for and decide more negatives occur than positives.

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2012
Have fun having with your display degrade over time with OLED and being terrible at brightness. It is cool with a smartphones as people replace these things frequently. Which is why you see OLED displays on so many smartphones.

Samsung is working on a new type of OLED that combines the best of LCD and OLED, so that one looks promising. But I believe Samsung has now delayed this tech.

That is the display Apple should be waiting for in my opinion, not regular OLED which is a downgrade.

Last edited:

VaruLV

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2019
That's what Apple and Samsung are working on, so nothing to do with luck.

Bubble99

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2015
I guess you cant read, I specifically mentioned about my 12.9 experience and said its where the tech is/was during iPad release.

Nowhere did I mention about any other devices, let alone ones that were released after 12.9 XDR.
You not going get nice pure black on any iPad because that is way LCD are. If you want nice pure black and nice contrast you need OLED or Micro LED.

Well MiniLED will be better than LCD it will not be as good as OLED or Micro LED. And Micro LED is still other 5 to 10 years out before it makes it way to TVs, laptops, monitors and Apple stuff.

If you turn brightness at 15% to 20% it will not be as noticeable but turn any LCD brightness to say 80% or more and very much so at 90% or 100% and it will be noticeable.

That just way LCD works.

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
The size of the zones used in the iPad Pro are definitely bigger than they could be.

That said: watched some Dinosaurs on TV+ with my daughter in a dark room this morning and this screen is so damn good. This blows any OLED I ever used out of the water quality wise. And I own a C9, OLED ThinkPad and iPhone.

Reactions: vddobrev

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2012
This is not software problem but the way LCD work.

There nothing Apple can do about it as that is the way LCD work.

You will need OLED or MicroLED.

Apple uses dimming zones that are way too large on the iPads, which is why you see blooming in dark rooms.

I believe Apple was telling that the display has very small dimming zones, yet Apple is not utilizing it.

VaruLV

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2019
It might be that those 4 mini LED's are physically linked to the same controller thus working as a group, if I recall correctly, it appeared as if 4 LED's are on the same base.

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
It might be that those 4 mini LED's are physically linked to the same controller thus working as a group, if I recall correctly, it appeared as if 4 LED's are on the same base.
That's what I think, there are enough LEDs but not enough controllers or whatever to manage them individually

I'm sure the next one I buy will be even better than the one I own now, and I'm already more than happy. Good times :)

I really hope the tech evolves and comes to TVs before my LG OLED (C9) needs to be replaced in some years.

Reactions: VaruLV
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.