Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zdigital2015

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2015
East Coast, United States
As we anxiously wait for the new iPad Pro to be announced, I am once again pondering the dilemma of the iPad Pro. Do I let it be what it is; which is the best tablet ever made, or do I continue to push and complain to make it I know it can be; the one and only device I need.

As a tablet, the iPad has always been the most amazing device to use for media consumption and light productivity work in bed, on the couch, on the go, and at a table. It has only gotten more capable over time and with the addition of keyboards, pencil, and pointer input, it has grown to be capable of performing 80% of my work and personal workflow. 70% it does easily, 10% it does clumsily compared to a Mac, and 20% it just can’t do. The things it just can’t do are a combination of iPadOS limitations and iPad productivity apps not having feature parity with the Mac equivalent.

Apple never said the iPad could replace your Mac (though for many it can) so I had no reason to complain. Apple just kept making iPadOS incrementally better and kept working to make it work better with a Mac. Stage Manager, Handoff, Sidecar, Universal Control are amazing and magical features and really do reduce the friction between Mac and iPad.

The problem started when Mac transitioned from Intel to ARM processors in 2020. Suddenly, the chip architecture between the iPad and Mac was the same and with that came expectations. While the 2018 and 2020 iPad Pro still ran an A12 processor the expectations were manageable since Mac were on the M1 chip. Nevermind that the A12 could easily run MacOS, the names were different so expectations were managed. In 2021 Apple announced that the iPad Pro would now run the same M1 chip as Macs and the expectations went through the roof that somehow iPads could or would run MacOS or at least Mac applications. Even RAM was published for the first time ever on iPad and it was possible to get 16GB of RAM with a storage upgrade to 1TB. The expectations came crashing down at WWDC in 2021 when iPadOS 15 was announced bringing very little in terms of new features.

I got swept up in the tornado of expectations and the thought of my M1 iPad Pro suddenly satisfying 100% of my workflow, was a dream come true. No more “do I chance only bringing my iPad Pro for that weekend trip and praying that work doesn’t come up with something that is a roadblock on iPadOS” dilemma. Ditching my heavy 16” Macbook Pro for the weekend was a worthy goal. After the rage subsided, I began to understand why Apple would never let iPad run MacOS even though it could. To do so would entail requiring a keyboard and external mouse, and then some sort of dual boot capability. On top of that it would mean disabling the touch screen when running MacOS. Requiring extra hardware, dual booting, and disabling hardware features is just not the type of user experience Apple wants. I don’t like it but I get it.

More irritating to me is Apple’s insistence on blocking other ways I could get that last 10% of workflow and go “iPad Pro only”. Hypervisor support was removed in iPadOS 16 meaning that ability to someday run a MacOS virtual machine was taken away. Apple’s strict control over which apps get allowed in the App store is also heavy handed and limiting.

The salt in the wound of all of this is that price for an iPad Pro 12.9” in many cases exceeds a Macbook. Sometimes I shake my head and wonder why I spent $1300 on a device that doesn’t even allow me to manage my music library, doesn’t allow me to rename files while downloading from internet, and many other irritating nits that $300 2010 Macbook Air can do easily.

In spite of this, I know that this week or next week I am going to do what I know I shouldn’t do. I am going to spend $2000+ or more on a new iPad Pro with 16GB of RAM and Magic Keyboard; hoping, wishing for a miracle from Apple that will make it the only device I need. It won’t happen but at least I know I’ll have the best tablet ever made.
My small scale answer to your question is to wait until iPadOS 18 shows up in June to see if Apple finally gets it. I wish I had the answer. I definitely wouldn’t spend money on of these new OLED iPad Pros until after WWDC, but that’s me, and I’m not telling anyone how to spend their money.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Exactly, all of that screaming was just about FOMO. Which is why I doubt the same would happen with audio streams and screen sharing* — these are niche features that are only of interest to power users whom, as we know, are not majority of the iPad customer base.

*Unless, as with Stage Manager, these don’t truly require M3 and Apple could simply deploy them with a software update.
Tbf, I don’t know any potential features Apple can lock to the M3 chip… I can see what you suggested being added to the M2 given that it has the power to support ProRes recordings while the M1 and older chips don’t.

But upon introduction of the M3 iPad Pro… I don’t envision any software features being locked to it, we won’t see that until WWDC roll around. At this point… Apple is betting on OLED and a slightly redesign to sell the upcoming iPad Pro, not necessarily software features.

iPadified

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2017
Never thought the iPad could replace a Mac. It is always the apps. On the other hand, In some situations, the iPad is superior due to its simplicity and touch/pencil interface.

prospervic

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2007
NYC
But upon introduction of the M3 iPad Pro… I don’t envision any software features being locked to it, we won’t see that until WWDC roll around. At this point… Apple is betting on OLED and a slightly redesign to sell the upcoming iPad Pro, not necessarily software features.
If this turns out to be the case I’ll very likely not upgrade. No doubt OLED will bring some improvement, but it won’t be nearly as dramatic as going from standard LCD to miniLED. (I’ve had both side-by-side and content like House of the Dragon, with it’s abundance of dark scenes, becomes actually watchable on miniLED).

And given that I already invested in the Magic Keyboard, Smart Keyboard Folio, Apple Folio and Apple Pencil 2, it would be an expensive and financially unwise move to replace all of those just to get something that will not fundamentally change how I use iPad.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
If this turns out to be the case I’ll very likely not upgrade. No doubt OLED will bring some improvement, but it won’t be nearly as dramatic as going from standard LCD to miniLED. (I’ve had both side-by-side and content like House of the Dragon, with it’s abundance of dark scenes, becomes actually watchable on miniLED).
I have plans on upgrading… it’s up to Apple to change my mind. I think with all the hype surrounding OLED… I believe it’s going to be a huge improvement over mini-LED. Especially, when Apple has waited so long to bring it to the iPad.

And given that I already invested in the Magic Keyboard, Smart Keyboard Folio, Apple Folio and Apple Pencil 2, it would be an expensive and financially unwise move to replace all of those just to get something that will not fundamentally change how I use iPad.
Apparently the dimensions are the same… in terms of height and width on the upcoming 12.9 Pro, two things are supposedly changing are the bezels and depth. If the bezels get trimmed down and the dimensions stay the same… that might result in a slightly larger display (not by much).

But my hope is that the upcoming iPad Pro play nice with the existing Magic Keyboard and Apple Pencil, if I have to re-invest into the accessory market again… then I’ll have to rethink the whole strategy.

Reactions: muzzy996

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
No, I am aware. It’s just bickering about no MacOS on the iPad. For the millionth time, iPad users don’t want that, go buy a Mac.

These rehashed threads are... well. Rehashed.

Again, go buy another Mac.

It’s funny how you phrase this as if you knew what the rest of us users would want and how you go on about dismissing a post that you could easily have ignored.

darthbane2k

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2009
But my hope is that the upcoming iPad Pro play nice with the existing Magic Keyboard and Apple Pencil, if I have to re-invest into the accessory market again… then I’ll have to rethink the whole strategy.
The pencil? Im sure. The keyboard - won't happen.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Actually if you read the post the author says why MacOS on iPad is not ideal and isn't asking for it.
Granted, the post is not directly asking for it… but it’s the referencing part that adds fuel to the fire. Because if macOS is added to the iPad… I would bet the OP may not object to it.

The pencil? Im sure. The keyboard - won't happen.
Won’t happen? Based on what? Because 2018 to the 2022 iPad Pros supported both version of the Magic Keyboard.

Heck, Apple tried to claim that the latest Magic Keyboard is not compatible with the 2018 and 2021 models… yet they were usable.

darthbane2k

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2009
Granted, the post is not directly asking for it… but it’s the referencing part that adds fuel to the fire. Because if macOS is added to the iPad… I would bet the OP may not object to it.

Won’t happen? Based on what? Because 2018 to the 2022 iPad Pros supported both version of the Magic Keyboard.

Heck, Apple tried to claim that the latest Magic Keyboard is not compatible with the 2018 and 2021 models… yet they were usable.
Because one of the rumours specifically mentions a new design keyboard, not to mention the dimensions of the new iPads rumoured to be slightly larger. If I’m wrong then great, means I save money too - however all signs are pointing to I’m right.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
It’s funny how you phrase this as if you knew what the rest of us users would want and how you go on about dismissing a post that you could easily have ignored.
If the extreme minority that wants this keeps creating threads, I'll keep giving my opinion.

I want downgrading on iOS, but I don't create a trillion threads for people to discuss. A thread is a discussion, differences of opinion should be tolerated, especially when the extreme minority that wants this keeps rehashing and creating the same threads over and over again.

bscheffel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
If the extreme minority that wants this keeps creating threads, I'll keep giving my opinion.

I want downgrading on iOS, but I don't create a trillion threads for people to discuss. A thread is a discussion, differences of opinion should be tolerated, especially when the extreme minority that wants this keeps rehashing and creating the same threads over and over again.
i doubt people who want a more capable iPad are the “extreme minority” on this site. In the general population, perhaps, but this is a site for enthusiasts.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
i doubt people who want a more capable iPad are the “extreme minority” on this site. In the general population, perhaps, but this is a site for enthusiasts.
Polls have been made and the majority of users here prefer iPadOS to MacOS being shoehorned into the iPad.

Last edited:

bscheffel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
Polls have been made and the majority of users here prefer iPadOS to MacOS being shoehorned into the iPad.
I would love to see how these polls were worded. If the wording was "should iPad run MacOS instead of iPadOS" then, yeah, I believe most everyone would say it should run iPadOS because otherwise it would be a Mac. If a poll asked if iPad should offer a bootcamp option to run MacOS when keyboard/mouse are present (the normal boot sequence would of course be iPadOS unless option key was held down during boot), I'm not so sure people would say no to this.

Even outside of running MacOS there are many other ways that Apple could make iPad more capable.
-Its own apps like Music app should have feature parity with the Mac version.
-Allow a developer to bring a browser that isn't limited to webkit for real desktop compatibility.
-Re-enable the hypervisor that was available until iPadOS 16.3 and allow Parallels to bring virtualization to the iPad platform.

prospervic

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2007
NYC

With all the rumors mentioning MagSafe either through a glass Apple logo or a second 4-pin connector, it appears the Magic Keyboard will be sufficiently redesigned as to not work with prior iPad models.

prospervic

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2007
NYC
All this continued back-and-forth on this macOS issue is pointless. Anybody wanting macOS on their iPad can just connect to their Mac using Sidecar. Boom! There it is! Looks like hell on those small screens, but at least you have it.

Reactions: iPadified

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016

Wonderful addition of assumptions here.

iPadified

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2017
Wonderful addition of assumptions here.
I assume that people make a rational choice when buying an iPad*. Therefore, I think most people buy iPads because it is not a Mac. As there are excellent reasonably priced (well) Macs around, the assumptions that it there are very few who wants Mac OS (or functional parity) on iPad is likely correct.

FeliApple is not wrong on the number of threads touching upon this subject. Same think over and over again. It gets tedious.

*the OP tried an iPad workflow and failed. It was still a rational choice.

curnalpanic

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2008
go:teborg
If only there was a small, lightweight product with keyboard and trackpad that ran macOS... hmmm...

Maybe with some ports on the side as well.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
All this continued back-and-forth on this macOS issue is pointless. Anybody wanting macOS on their iPad can just connect to their Mac using Sidecar. Boom! There it is! Looks like hell on those small screens, but at least you have it.

Or Apple could improve their product in some meaningful way to address both enthusiasts and entry level couch users. I doubt it though. For now, if you already know that an iPad cannot perform the tasks that you need performed, just go with the tools that do what you need. A CPU and display evolution will not move the needle dramatically at this point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.