Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Samurai

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2007
Glasgow
I also tried the iPad life for about a year and a half, not for work but for "relaxation and very light work" usage and I still ended up getting a Macbook Air instead. Basically, there were a few issues for me:

- any kind of typing without an external keyboard is a hassle

- software, software, software. Lack of control over the device meant that I had to do a lot of compromises. The Internet is unusable for me without adblockers but I could only manage adblockers to work in Safari. That means I could no longer use Chrome, which I used on my desktop and synced everything. Youtube in a browser was such a hassle, and as an app, you had to buy Premium. I had to buy all sorts of apps for all kinds of use cases, like to SSH into my server

- without a stand, it's not as comfortable as a laptop for longer sessions of use. The moment you start adding accessories, not only the price goes up a lot but also the weight, and it no longer makes sense at that point for me

So once I got a M2 Air for these tasks, I felt so liberated.

I feel like Apple missed a gigantic opportunity here. The iPad with M chips should have had some sort of dual boot support and for those who really wanted it, they could have switched to MacOS by attaching a keyboard. I don't think it would have "cannibalised" their laptops much, it would have been a feature for power users anyway.

On another note, if they can't manage to unify their OSes (which I would have done), I don't understand why they don't at least come up with something like Samsung Dex. Every time I watched a Dex video while having an iPad I wished for that feature so much. It would have fixed a lot of issues with using it professionally imo.

They would have been at the forefront of ultimate computing, which in my vision is an iPhone as a single computing device that attaches wirelessly to a monitor, keyboard and mouse and that that point you get a desktop experience. Actually, I think technologically only the wireless video feed is not there yet to make that happen now.
here here

iPadified

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2017
I think much of this confusion would have been avoided with a dedicated iPad SoC in parallel with the Mx chips. The A12Z was the first Apple SoC used in a Mac (mini) so it is not surprising that the M1 also fit the iPads. Many here seem bitter that the M1 iPad was not a sign for a dual boot iPad. I guess we all have learned the hard way that buying on expectation is not a good idea.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
On another note, if they can't manage to unify their OSes (which I would have done), I don't understand why they don't at least come up with something like Samsung Dex. Every time I watched a Dex video while having an iPad I wished for that feature so much. It would have fixed a lot of issues with using it professionally imo.
Apple did come up with something like Samsung DeX, it’s called Stage Manager.

It gets dismissed, but nevertheless… it accomplishes the same goal, giving users the ability to control their apps in a free-form environment. The struggle with the feature… is that it’s different from Windows or macOS interface, whereas it involves more interaction than most don’t care to do (drag and drop).

And I have the ability to use Samsung Dex, but I often choose to use Stage Manager over Samsung DeX when I plug devices (Galaxy Fold & iPad Pro) into my portable monitor. The experience is more better (imo), from the scrolling in apps… gesture support and keyboard shortcuts.

cthompson94

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2022
SoCal
I think much of this confusion would have been avoided with a dedicated iPad SoC in parallel with the Mx chips. The A12Z was the first Apple SoC used in a Mac (mini) so it is not surprising that the M1 also fit the iPads. Many here seem bitter that the M1 iPad was not a sign for a dual boot iPad. I guess we all have learned the hard way that buying on expectation is not a good idea.
but not everyone here is all for dual booting, its the severe limits put on the iPad due to OS restrictions. We just recently got real deal video editor software, it wasn't long ago we actually got a progress bar when transferring files in the files app. It is widely known how good the M series chips are, and I think the overall sentiment isn't necessarily dual booting or putting Mac OS on the iPad, but when the announcement of the M series chips going on the iPad I know I was expecting a iPad OS overhaul rather than basically a barely fluffed up iOS.

Reactions: ericwn

iPadified

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2017
but not everyone here is all for dual booting, its the severe limits put on the iPad due to OS restrictions. We just recently got real deal video editor software, it wasn't long ago we actually got a progress bar when transferring files in the files app. It is widely known how good the M series chips are, and I think the overall sentiment isn't necessarily dual booting or putting Mac OS on the iPad, but when the announcement of the M series chips going on the iPad I know I was expecting a iPad OS overhaul rather than basically a barely fluffed up iOS.
Rome was not built on one day. I am still waiting for lasso select files using the pencil and a third finger drop to select using the on screen software trackpad.

The iPadOS is fluffed up iOS and strangely as it sound, I think that iPad is just a large iPhone actually is its strongest selling argument for a large number of users. A special iPadOS Pro would perhaps be possible but only if there are enough customers and I am not sure it is with so many good Macs in the lineup.

Reactions: cthompson94

cthompson94

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2022
SoCal
Rome was not built on one day. I am still waiting for lasso select files using the pencil and a third finger drop to select using the on screen software trackpad.

The iPadOS is fluffed up iOS and strangely as it sound, I think that iPad is just a large iPhone actually is its strongest selling argument for a large number of users. A special iPadOS Pro would perhaps be possible but only if there are enough customers and I am not sure it is with so many good Macs in the lineup.
I do agree on the with the selling point as the similar (basically the same) OS especially in the beginning probably aided in a lot of sales in the first few years. Around the time that Apple started advertising the iPad as a computer replacement is when a distinct (but not overly complex) change should have started happening especially with the pro models (I get it pro is largely marketing buzzword) especially due to advertising of the iPad Pros, but what we got was few changes and the iPad is almost more marketed as a companion to the Mac.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Well, yeah… the iPad is a foundation of the iPhone. 4 to 5 years ago they branched away from iOS… naming the operating system iPadOS.

And I agree with you completely Rome was not built in a day… that applies with those rushing the process with iPadOS, whatever feature users are requesting from macOS. Apple tries to bring it in a iPad-style way… while not attempting to disrupt what makes the iPad the iPad.

Reactions: FeliApple

jamesthegator

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2009
For me the iPad plays an important role in my workflow as my actual work laptop is PC, and my phone is iPhone. There are MANY times I don't want to boot up the work laptop (it's slow, ugly and makes me feel too much like I'm doing heavy-lifting work activities), and the iPhone is good to answer a few emails, make Teams calls, message, etc., but isn't enough for anything more than "light touch" activities.

But the iPad is perfect for all of those in-between tasks, which end up actually being the bulk of my activity. These are things like split screen email / video call sessions, content review and light creation, business notes in onenote, entertainment on plane rides, etc.

I'm still rocking a 10.5 pro with a bad bright spot and a dying battery. It's served me well, but I'm looking forward to the new iPad pro to set me up for the next 4-5 years.

kilimanjaro

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Do you really mean it is not fair to assume people are doing rational choices during purchase?

If you want to attack something it would be "I think most people buy a iPad because it is not a Mac". That is an opinion. Attacking my assumption that people are rational makes no sense.

Remember, about twice as many iPads are sold per year compared to Macs. Do you really think the majority of the iPad purchases are to replace Macs? Then a decline in Mac sales would be observed and it is not. iPads replaced Mac for consumption, single app work, drawing and simpler tasks because it is convenient and easy to use device for these tasks. Beyond that: use a Mac.

The OP and others should stop dreaming.

EDIT: Despite my "name", I use Mac 80% of my time and 20% iPads but it varies. Each for different tasks. I strongly think iPads should not be for the expert use cases and as long iPadOS gets more capable without being complicated and stay true to its core function and market, fine by all means make it more capable.
Telling people to stop dreaming.. on a rumors site?

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
If anything, I’m trying to help the OP. Instead of trying to rehash the same exchanges we tend to have in these types of discussions.

I’m open to discuss the limitations concerning iPadOS and how to overcome them, but the solutions seems to always lead to bring macOS to the iPad.
Okay, let's do this. I want to clip an article into Obsidian.MD using MarkDownload. I can't do it except on a Mac/Windows machine. How in the ____ do I do that on my iPad Pro?

How do I get my browser add ons to work from Firefox?

dgdosen

macrumors 68030
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle
As we anxiously wait for the new iPad Pro to be announced, I am once again pondering the dilemma of the iPad Pro. Do I let it be what it is; which is the best tablet ever made, or do I continue to push and complain to make it I know it can be; the one and only device I need.

As a tablet, the iPad has always been the most amazing device to use for media consumption and light productivity work in bed, on the couch, on the go, and at a table. It has only gotten more capable over time and with the addition of keyboards, pencil, and pointer input, it has grown to be capable of performing 80% of my work and personal workflow. 70% it does easily, 10% it does clumsily compared to a Mac, and 20% it just can’t do. The things it just can’t do are a combination of iPadOS limitations and iPad productivity apps not having feature parity with the Mac equivalent.

Apple never said the iPad could replace your Mac (though for many it can) so I had no reason to complain. Apple just kept making iPadOS incrementally better and kept working to make it work better with a Mac. Stage Manager, Handoff, Sidecar, Universal Control are amazing and magical features and really do reduce the friction between Mac and iPad.

The problem started when Mac transitioned from Intel to ARM processors in 2020. Suddenly, the chip architecture between the iPad and Mac was the same and with that came expectations. While the 2018 and 2020 iPad Pro still ran an A12 processor the expectations were manageable since Mac were on the M1 chip. Nevermind that the A12 could easily run MacOS, the names were different so expectations were managed. In 2021 Apple announced that the iPad Pro would now run the same M1 chip as Macs and the expectations went through the roof that somehow iPads could or would run MacOS or at least Mac applications. Even RAM was published for the first time ever on iPad and it was possible to get 16GB of RAM with a storage upgrade to 1TB. The expectations came crashing down at WWDC in 2021 when iPadOS 15 was announced bringing very little in terms of new features.

I got swept up in the tornado of expectations and the thought of my M1 iPad Pro suddenly satisfying 100% of my workflow, was a dream come true. No more “do I chance only bringing my iPad Pro for that weekend trip and praying that work doesn’t come up with something that is a roadblock on iPadOS” dilemma. Ditching my heavy 16” Macbook Pro for the weekend was a worthy goal. After the rage subsided, I began to understand why Apple would never let iPad run MacOS even though it could. To do so would entail requiring a keyboard and external mouse, and then some sort of dual boot capability. On top of that it would mean disabling the touch screen when running MacOS. Requiring extra hardware, dual booting, and disabling hardware features is just not the type of user experience Apple wants. I don’t like it but I get it.

More irritating to me is Apple’s insistence on blocking other ways I could get that last 10% of workflow and go “iPad Pro only”. Hypervisor support was removed in iPadOS 16 meaning that ability to someday run a MacOS virtual machine was taken away. Apple’s strict control over which apps get allowed in the App store is also heavy handed and limiting.

The salt in the wound of all of this is that price for an iPad Pro 12.9” in many cases exceeds a Macbook. Sometimes I shake my head and wonder why I spent $1300 on a device that doesn’t even allow me to manage my music library, doesn’t allow me to rename files while downloading from internet, and many other irritating nits that $300 2010 Macbook Air can do easily.

In spite of this, I know that this week or next week I am going to do what I know I shouldn’t do. I am going to spend $2000+ or more on a new iPad Pro with 16GB of RAM and Magic Keyboard; hoping, wishing for a miracle from Apple that will make it the only device I need. It won’t happen but at least I know I’ll have the best tablet ever made.

Or..., now keep an open mind, just don't fall for it again and realize the iPad (specifically a "Pro") is just not a good option.

Reactions: arkitect

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Okay, let's do this. I want to clip an article into Obsidian.MD using MarkDownload. I can't do it except on a Mac/Windows machine. How in the ____ do I do that on my iPad Pro?

How do I get my browser add ons to work from Firefox?
I’m not familiar with the process because I don’t use Obsidian… so, I’m guessing the Obsidian app on the App Store won’t be able to cover the task?

And I looked at this thread that discuss using MarkDownload? Wouldn’t there be some form of Shortcut to help?

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
I’m not familiar with the process because I don’t use Obsidian… so, I’m guessing the Obsidian app on the App Store won’t be able to cover the task?

And I looked at this thread that discuss using MarkDownload? Wouldn’t there be some form of Shortcut to help?
Yeah I probably should have at least Googled that issue. :D I'll let you know how this goes. It's a pretty intricate process on Windows/Mac. It downloads a .MD file created from the article to a folder that is included in Obsidian.

I mean, you are not wrong Ludatyk, it just could be so much easier to do on an iPad than it is.

Reactions: Ludatyk

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
Yeah I probably should have at least Googled that issue. :D I'll let you know how this goes. It's a pretty intricate process on Windows/Mac. It downloads a .MD file created from the article to a folder that is included in Obsidian.

I mean, you are not wrong Ludatyk, it just could be so much easier to do on an iPad than it is.
It's like stage manager, all I see is the wasted space and inability to actually move my app windows exactly where I want - and all independent of one another. Which they are not. the OS groups them together for some reason. So then I just go back to the old way of multitasking which at least doesn't even try. :D

Reactions: jazz1

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
It's like stage manager, all I see is the wasted space and inability to actually move my app windows exactly where I want - and all independent of one another. Which they are not. the OS groups them together for some reason. So then I just go back to the old way of multitasking which at least doesn't even try. :D
Inability to move an app exact where you want? You had a case back when Stage Manager was introduced, but they improved on that since.

Not sure if I stated it in this thread, but I believe the issue most have with Stage Manager… is that it requires more effort from the user. I think most users want to click/tap on an app and it appears… tap on another, it overlaps the existing one. Something that’s straightforward.

But when transitioning to Stage Manager from pre-existing multitasking (SplitView/SlideOver)… it has the same elements when it comes to asking for additional effort from the user.

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
Well I have given up waiting on the ipad Pro to become anything near a laptop replacement. Just ordered a 14” mbp pro and now I wonder why I even tried with the ipp pro.
I really have to check out the 14" MBP in person. My current iPad Pro M1 is fine, and definitely transportable and built-in cellular is handy indeed. But I'm wondering if I should give up on the rumored, yet to be released next generation M3 iPad and get the 14" MBP.

The plus there is Apple will then soon release the MBP M4 for everyone else! 🤣

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
In spite of this, I know that this week or next week I am going to do what I know I shouldn’t do. I am going to spend $2000+ or more on a new iPad Pro with 16GB of RAM and Magic Keyboard; hoping, wishing for a miracle from Apple that will make it the only device I need. It won’t happen but at least I know I’ll have the best tablet ever made.
If it helps, remember that that same iPad Pro or a better one will be there if and when iPadOS finally is able to rise to the level of that great hardware. That $2K could be put to better use on a machine that meets your needs better -- or honestly could just be accumulating interest somewhere.

bradman83

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2020
Buffalo, NY
But the M1 is essentially the same chip an A14X would have been. It's scaled up from the A14 the exact same way the A12X and A12Z were scaled up from the A12. Apple likely wouldn't have wanted to make a custom chip just for the iPad Pro, and re-branding the M1 back to the A14X when used in an iPad is just silly.

It's not that Apple put a Mac chip in an iPad, it's that they made a tablet chip so powerful it could be used in a Mac. People jumped to conclusions when the chip was included in the iPad Pro despite the fact that it was always the logical choice.

Reactions: jazz1

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
I’m not a fan of Stage Manger on my IPad Pro 12.9”. I might be if there was a 14” screen version. As it stands I can’t seem to expand the open window to the top, bottom and right edges of the screen and still see the app. Icons on the left side. What am I missing here? Is there a way around what I consider a limiting factor for Stage Manager?

RLRabb

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2011
I’m not a fan of Stage Manger on my IPad Pro 12.9”. I might be if there was a 14” screen version. As it stands I can’t seem to expand the open window to the top, bottom and right edges of the screen and still see the app. Icons on the left side. What am I missing here? Is there a way around what I consider a limiting factor for Stage Manager?
You can stretch like this, but you are correct that you can't go all the way to the screen edges without going into Full Screen mode, which obviously would cover the stages tray on the left.

Attachments

• IMG_8217.jpg
    IMG_8217.jpg
    293.1 KB · Views: 35

prospervic

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2007
NYC
I really have to check out the 14" MBP in person. My current iPad Pro M1 is fine, and definitely transportable and built-in cellular is handy indeed. But I'm wondering if I should give up on the rumored, yet to be released next generation M3 iPad and get the 14" MBP.

Go for the 14” MBP. (I’m assuming you’d be keeping the iPad? They make a great, complementary pair).
My M1 iPad Pro 12.9 also serves me fine. Recently I had a ”lucky” accident where I dropped it on rough pavement and cracked the screen. The Apple Store swapped it out for a “new’ M1 (I have extended Apple Care) and once I started using I was shocked at how much better the battery life was. I purchased my original model on release day in May 2021 and I never had decent battery life on it - 6 hours max. (Why didn’t I replace it? Because virtually everyone online was reporting the same problem!)

My replacement model runs all day, with some leftover at bedtime. This after viewing multiple videos, significant typing onscreen and the Magic Keyboard, using Apple Pencil, playing audio through the speakers and even using cellular connectivity at periods during the day. It feels like a brand new device and this has greatly reduced my desire to buy the upcoming M3 (and spend over $2k for it, and the new accessories).

I’m sure OLED will be an advance, but I’ve been very happy with miniLED — which was a huge improvement over standard LCD. Besides, no matter the new bells and whistles, at the end of the day —- it’s still an iPad.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.