Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Loopy65

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 6, 2008
Wales, UK
I've decided to ditch my 2010 MacBook Air for the iPad Pro! I'm kind of nervous but my Air has never been much of a workhorse computer and I don't use a laptop much, just when I want/need a bigger screen.

Just wondering if anyone else is going to give this a go??

Reactions: Centris 650

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
I wish I could join you in that, but iOS still doesn't cut it for my only computer needs. If the pro really did have OS X, no question it would replace a laptop. Splashtop is a really great interface for OS X on iOS. I'm not sure why so many are against the notion.

Last edited:
Reactions: batting1000

iphonedude2008

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2009
Irvine, CA
You have no idea how much I want to do that. Sadly though, I have to use a laptop for Xcode and Eclipse. I will be getting a Pro to test on though so I'll see how well it can replace my laptop.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I've decided to ditch my 2010 MacBook Air for the iPad Pro! I'm kind of nervous but my Air has never been much of a workhorse computer and I don't use a laptop much, just when I want/need a bigger screen.

Since you have a MacBook Air, what are you hoping to gain with the Pro? What size and weight is your Air by the way?

Codeseven

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2008
I would love to finally ditch my aging and heavy 2008 MBP for the iPad Pro but I'm not convinced, yet.

iPhone1

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2010
I'm going all in. Selling my MBP and getting an iPad Pro. I can't think of a reason I can't do it yet. It helps that I have an old MBA in case something does come up requiring either iTunes or a Mac in general.

I will have an iPhone and iPad Pro only as soon as they release it.

Reactions: Loopy65

Centris 650

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2002
Near Charleston, SC

I've been using my iPad 4 and Air 1 as my laptop for some time. I tried with the iPad 2 but the apps just weren't robust enough at the time. I do plan on buying an iPad Pro (IF it will be good enough to handle the type of drawing I do on my side business) and use it as my main computer. For my day job I prepare a lot of lessons, email, research, and occasionally some video editing. The iPad works well for me because I'm often away from my desk and talking with clients. I often have to access my files and forward/change files while standing right then and there. I can't imagine doing that with a laptop.

The iPad as a laptop isn't for everyone but it can be done...EASILY.

Reactions: temna and Loopy65

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Oct 12, 2015
Canada
I've been using my iPad 4 and Air 1 as my laptop for some time. I tried with the iPad 2 but the apps just weren't robust enough at the time. I do plan on buying an iPad Pro (IF it will be good enough to handle the type of drawing I do on my side business) and use it as my main computer. For my day job I prepare a lot of lessons, email, research, and occasionally some video editing. The iPad works well for me because I'm often away from my desk and talking with clients. I often have to access my files and forward/change files while standing right then and there. I can't imagine doing that with a laptop.

The iPad as a laptop isn't for everyone but it can be done...EASILY.

I find it hard to believe that iPad can do anything better than Mac. Take your usage as example, you do lots of email. I find it is hard to believe that iPad can do email better than Mac. Download multiple files then acctach all files to email is quit challenge on iOS side. Not that it is lot doable, but quite complicated. I would rather just download all files in one central locations, then attach all file at one go.

Take office editing for example, I still find select, copy, paste is not as easy as on Mac.

To summarize all, iPad probably can do lost stuff and replace laptop for some people. But trade off is the simplicities of use real desktop OS. iPad is probably fine for presentation or showing pictures to others. But real office work, real productivity application and even simple file management can be over complicated on iPad.

That is just my take. I would never replace my Mac entirely with iPad. I might replace my Mac with Surface Book, but definitely not with iPad Pro.

Sech

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2012
I did this about four months ago with the iPad Air 2. Outside of wanting more screen real estate, for my needs, I have been very happy especially since iOS9 brought new multitasking features. I plan on going all in on the iPad Pro, it appears to be what I've really wanted in a mobile device.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Depending on usage i think the iPad Pro can replace a laptop, i intend to get the iPad Pro instead of updating my now waging 2011 Macbook Pro. I think with apps getting better over time (look at the apps that Adobe announced at the keynote) and i think the iPad Pro line up along with the Apple Pencil will replace a lot of peoples laptops.

journeyy

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2013
I find it hard to believe that iPad can do anything better than Mac. Take your usage as example, you do lots of email. I find it is hard to believe that iPad can do email better than Mac. Download multiple files then acctach all files to email is quit challenge on iOS side. Not that it is lot doable, but quite complicated. I would rather just download all files in one central locations, then attach all file at one go.

These are also some of my main gripes with the iPad. Simple Copy&Paste is such a struggle, i want to throw the thing against the wall sometimes. And not being able to just download any files and then open it with my preferred app is also very annoying.

And, let's be honest: Even for simple office work the precision and comfort of a touchpad is still superior to waving your arm around touching stuff. I never miss the touchscreen on my laptop.. (the pencil might be making the difference though, who knows)

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
Depending on usage i think the iPad Pro can replace a laptop, i intend to get the iPad Pro instead of updating my now waging 2011 Macbook Pro. I think with apps getting better over time (look at the apps that Adobe announced at the keynote) and i think the iPad Pro line up along with the Apple Pencil will replace a lot of peoples laptops.

I agree that an iPad Pro can replace a laptop, but it still depends on the person. Is that laptop's someone primary computer? Then I'm less open to the idea that it will replace someone's primary computer. Is the laptop an extension of a desktop they use? More likely it can replace the laptop and be part of a desktop/tablet pair instead of a desktop/laptop pair.

These are also some of my main gripes with the iPad. Simple Copy&Paste is such a struggle, i want to throw the thing against the wall sometimes. And not being able to just download any files and then open it with my preferred app is also very annoying.

And, let's be honest: Even for simple office work the precision and comfort of a touchpad is still superior to waving your arm around touching stuff. I never miss the touchscreen on my laptop.. (the pencil might be making the difference though, who knows)

C&P is improving (slowly). For those of us doing away-from-desk editing, it is getting better in iOS 9 with keyboard access to C&P (on virtual keyboards, many apps have had physical keyboard support for a while). Also, I'm digging the two-finger cursor trackpad for maneuvering when I'm not using a physical keyboard. It's made text editing a smoother experience (not that it was hard to get over the bar).

As for the comment on files, I'm with you there. It's not quite enough to get me to keep the laptop around in my case though. Really the only thing that is keeping me from selling off the laptop already is astrophotography, but I'm in the middle of setting up Linux on an ARM stick which will do all the work (doesn't need much power). Partly because this will save me power in the field, be more resistant to breakages in workflow due to updates, etc. Once I get that setup running smoothly, it'll probably be time to say goodbye to my rMBP, despite the good times I've had.

What I really kinda wish existed though was a more stable, more precise version of Twelve South's Compass. I love the stand since it can prop things up, and be a bit of an easel, but their variances in production make it less than it really could be.

Loopy65

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 6, 2008
Wales, UK
Since you have a MacBook Air, what are you hoping to gain with the Pro? What size and weight is your Air by the way?
My Air is horribly slow .. It's 13" not sure how much it weighs but it's good for a laptop. Looking forward to reading magazines on the iPad pro, websites and some pages and email. It should work well. I have the mini for 'throw in the backpack' gear so I won't be taking it around on a daily basis.
We'll see but I'm hopeful

Reactions: Centris 650

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010

This thread reads a lot like the "can ipad air 2 replace my laptop" threads. The pro doesn't seem to bring anything to the table--possibly better multitaksking?

The premis seems in many ways a backdoor endorsement of the MS hybrid model. Combine the robust appliance like simplicity of an ipad with some key laptop features--track pad, usb port, optional mouse-ablity, and exposed file tree--and I think you could satisfy a large part of the laptop market with an enhanced ipad

Reactions: sonicrobby

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Oct 12, 2015
Canada
I agree that an iPad Pro can replace a laptop, but it still depends on the person. Is that laptop's someone primary computer? Then I'm less open to the idea that it will replace someone's primary computer. Is the laptop an extension of a desktop they use? More likely it can replace the laptop and be part of a desktop/tablet pair instead of a desktop/laptop pair.

C&P is improving (slowly). For those of us doing away-from-desk editing, it is getting better in iOS 9 with keyboard access to C&P (on virtual keyboards, many apps have had physical keyboard support for a while). Also, I'm digging the two-finger cursor trackpad for maneuvering when I'm not using a physical keyboard. It's made text editing a smoother experience (not that it was hard to get over the bar).

As for the comment on files, I'm with you there. It's not quite enough to get me to keep the laptop around in my case though. Really the only thing that is keeping me from selling off the laptop already is astrophotography, but I'm in the middle of setting up Linux on an ARM stick which will do all the work (doesn't need much power). Partly because this will save me power in the field, be more resistant to breakages in workflow due to updates, etc. Once I get that setup running smoothly, it'll probably be time to say goodbye to my rMBP, despite the good times I've had.

What I really kinda wish existed though was a more stable, more precise version of Twelve South's Compass. I love the stand since it can prop things up, and be a bit of an easel, but their variances in production make it less than it really could be.

The problem is that once you connect iOS devices to a keyboard, on screen keyboard will not work. Then the two fighter gesture won't even work. And no way I will typing on that gaint on screen keyboard, it is just not effecient than physical keyboard.

I am not saying that iPad Pro is not useful, it is useful in same area, but I still think Surface is more decent solution. I generally think converitable is bad, because it tries to combine two things in one, but would it not be nice when you improve already excellent trackpad on MacBook Pro?

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013

But doesn't it depend on what the individual uses their computer for? The iPad Pro is aimed at the professional and creative market, the Apple Pencil will certainly appeal to the latter (myself included) which is an advantage over a computer. Both have Pro's and cons but I think Apple is betting on the iPad Pro as the future of computing while still selling and evolving the Mac for the more power needing of people.

iphonedude2008

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2009
Irvine, CA
This thread reads a lot like the "can ipad air 2 replace my laptop" threads. The pro doesn't seem to bring anything to the table--possibly better multitaksking?

The premis seems in many ways a backdoor endorsement of the MS hybrid model. Combine the robust appliance like simplicity of an ipad with some key laptop features--track pad, usb port, optional mouse-ablity, and exposed file tree--and I think you could satisfy a large part of the laptop market with an enhanced ipad
I completely agree. I think only new thing the iPad Pro brings is much improved processing, bigger display, and a stylus. For a few people, this can replace a laptop when the iPad Air couldn't for them before, but more me, it still lacks the openness that I need in a laptop. If I wanted to jailbreak my iPhone or do work on my personal device, I couldn't do that from an iPad Pro. Its a great device, but I still need a computer of some kid around for daily use.

Reactions: sonicrobby

sjleworthy

macrumors 68000
Dec 5, 2008
Penarth, Wales, UK
I completely agree. I think only new thing the iPad Pro brings is much improved processing, bigger display, and a stylus.

yes, this is a massive clincher for me if nothing else. i'm sick to death of using my ipad for XL charts, typing letters, reading pdf's etc etc. improved processing is a plus, obviously, but the ability to read quicker and easier, pan across and edit documents in larger scale, access a full keyboard, see things more spaced out and 'full sized', select, copy, paste, move etc with less faff and fiddling etc etc, this to me is magic!

call me old (im not, only in my 40's :p ), but the ability to do things with less pickiness and finger thumbing is like being released. and hopefully the pencil or stylus will be integrated and used by many devs meaning cool integration and easy and effective use. maybe almost 'mouse-like' or 'trackpad-like' usage in effect. cant wait.

Reactions: iphonedude2008

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken

I wouldn't say that it was a backdoor endorsement, but a frontdoor acknowledgment that Microsoft was right. Apple caught a little flack for it upon announcing the Pro, and they'll catch a little more when it ships... but over the next generation or two, they'll incrementally add things to bring it closer to that hybrid model.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
Why ditch it? Just get the Pro and use your laptop when needed.
My 2015 MBA is a workhorse. I make my living using that 11 inch laptop. I can go anywhere in the world that has wifi and do my job, and do it well.
The iPad Mini 4 is one of my most favored Apple devices, but it can't do what the laptop can do. The Mini 4 is my constant companion and connects my MBA to the world when wifi isn't available.
That being said, I guess it depends on what you need to do in your world. If you only use your laptop for working emails, creating an occasional Pages document and romping around the web then you could get away with an iPad only, but if you get into some serious work I suggest using your laptop when needed.
When I need a computer the MBA is my go to device.
My 2 centavos.

Reactions: OTACORB

engineerben

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2010
Greenville Tx
I wouldn't say that it was a backdoor endorsement, but a frontdoor acknowledgment that Microsoft was right. Apple caught a little flack for it upon announcing the Pro, and they'll catch a little more when it ships... but over the next generation or two, they'll incrementally add things to bring it closer to that hybrid model.
I don't think it's either a backdoor endorsement or a frontdoor acknowledgement: it's ignoring MS completely. I don't suspect Apple cares a tinker's cuss what Microsoft does. Microsoft is a close partner for IOS software, and both MS and Apple recognize the symbiotic relationship they have. But Apple's hardware strategy is pretty clear, and at least for now, and it doesn't include hybrids, regardless of what MS does.

But I think you're right about Apple incrementally approaching what's available in current hybrid computers. The gradual embrace of two-window multitasking is the best example. But I'd bet they won't do the full-up OS X environment until they can thread the direct/indirect interaction needle. I suspect they're working on it deep in the darkest corners of Apple Labs, but I wouldn't expect it soon.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I don't think it's either a backdoor endorsement or a frontdoor acknowledgement: it's ignoring MS completely. I don't suspect Apple cares a tinker's cuss what Microsoft does. Microsoft is a close partner for IOS software, and both MS and Apple recognize the symbiotic relationship they have. But Apple's hardware strategy is pretty clear, and at least for now, and it doesn't include hybrids, regardless of what MS does.

But I think you're right about Apple incrementally approaching what's available in current hybrid computers. The gradual embrace of two-window multitasking is the best example. But I'd bet they won't do the full-up OS X environment until they can thread the direct/indirect interaction needle. I suspect they're working on it deep in the darkest corners of Apple Labs, but I wouldn't expect it soon.
Well, that's where we disagree. Apple did not product an active stylus until AFTER a few generations of Microsoft tablets offering them. It was only when Microsoft received praise in the industry for the quality of its execution did Apple produce one.

Capacitive styli were available for the iPad from day 1. Customers were requesting active stylus support. 3rd parties thought out of the box to push the envelope of what was possible in order to bring some kind of active stylus to the iPad. I refuse to believe that it was simply a "happy coincidence" that Apple produced an active stylus when they did, or at all.

:)

engineerben

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2010
Greenville Tx
Well, that's where we disagree. Apple did not product an active stylus until AFTER a few generations of Microsoft tablets offering them. It was only when Microsoft received praise in the industry for the quality of its execution did Apple produce one.

Capacitive styli were available for the iPad from day 1. Customers were requesting active stylus support. 3rd parties thought out of the box to push the envelope of what was possible in order to bring some kind of active stylus to the iPad. I refuse to believe that it was simply a "happy coincidence" that Apple produced an active stylus when they did, or at all.

:)
I guess the way I look at it is this: Samsung introduced the Note series in 2011, with an active stylus. Apple introduced its first phablet last year and...no stylus. None this year, either. My conclusion is that Apple didn't see the benefit of a phone with a stylus, and decided against providing one, even though lots of folks love-love-love the S-pen.

I've used capacitive styli - plural, mind you - with my iPad 2, and may I say that they uniformly stink. I know that the iPad 2 is ancient history by now, but I've arrived at the conclusion that the passive capacitive touchscreen, as good as it is, isn't really the best for drawing or sketching, although experienced artists have created some pretty impressive work on the iPad.

The MS Surface was announced June 2012 and shipped late 2012. And the reviews were positive, particularly for the industrial design. So, given the amount of time it takes to bring a product to market, I'd have to believe that Apple looked at that original Surface and said, "Holy cow! We have to have a stylus!" And three years later, here we are.

Alternately, Apple designers may have been looking at the state of the art for years, trying a dozen different writing technologies and discarding them all, until they came up with a stylus design that made sense to them. When it was "right," in their estimation, they built it. In a few weeks, we'll be able to see for ourselves if they got it right.

To me, the latter scenario seems more "Apple-y", but I could be wrong.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.