Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
and hopefully the pencil or stylus will be integrated and used by many devs meaning cool integration and easy and effective use. maybe almost 'mouse-like' or 'trackpad-like' usage in effect. cant wait.

Check in with the Samsung s-pen users--i really think stylus navigation really can't replace mousing or trackpadding, even when function buttons are implemented (sorry pencil). I doubt any software will use pen navigation except as a simple pointer.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
The problem is that once you connect iOS devices to a keyboard, on screen keyboard will not work. Then the two fighter gesture won't even work. And no way I will typing on that gaint on screen keyboard, it is just not effecient than physical keyboard.

Oh, I don't disagree it has flaws. That's kinda why I mentioned it specifically around the software keyboard. And if you have a hardware keyboard C&P shouldn't be your problem at least. But yeah, moving the IP is weird when combined with a physical keyboard.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
Alternately, Apple designers may have been looking at the state of the art for years, trying a dozen different writing technologies and discarding them all, until they came up with a stylus design that made sense to them. When it was "right," in their estimation, they built it. In a few weeks, we'll be able to see for ourselves if they got it right.
It "was right" when MS pen based computers and hybrids started to catch on

Reactions: sracer

Centris 650

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2002
Near Charleston, SC
I find it hard to believe that iPad can do anything better than Mac. Take your usage as example, you do lots of email. I find it is hard to believe that iPad can do email better than Mac. Download multiple files then acctach all files to email is quit challenge on iOS side. Not that it is lot doable, but quite complicated. I would rather just download all files in one central locations, then attach all file at one go.

Take office editing for example, I still find select, copy, paste is not as easy as on Mac.

To summarize all, iPad probably can do lost stuff and replace laptop for some people. But trade off is the simplicities of use real desktop OS. iPad is probably fine for presentation or showing pictures to others. But real office work, real productivity application and even simple file management can be over complicated on iPad.

That is just my take. I would never replace my Mac entirely with iPad. I might replace my Mac with Surface Book, but definitely not with iPad Pro.

I never said it did it better but in some cases not worse either but different. It's a mental shift you have to do. I don't have to send many attachments. The ones I do I do through Pages or Excel. No problem. I do have a problem dealing with PDFs. I haven't found a viable solution I like.

But let's look at it like this...I remember when laptops were becoming more and more common place in the office (yes, I'm that old) and we graphic designers bemoaned laptops because you couldn't do any REAL work on them. The keyboard was too restrictive, the screens too small, the software too big, the files too large, the processor too slow.
Now a laptop is a viable option for graphic designers and many other professions who couldn't find a use for one in the early days.

I think the iPad will find it's way.

Reactions: Codeseven

noslenam

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2010
I've decided to ditch my 2010 MacBook Air for the iPad Pro! I'm kind of nervous but my Air has never been much of a workhorse computer and I don't use a laptop much, just when I want/need a bigger screen.

Just wondering if anyone else is going to give this a go??

Starting a new job with the airlines and I'm trying to reduce the size and weight of what I take with me. I have a mini but I'm picking up the Pro for the screen size, portability and smaller charger options. The airline gives pilots a surface which I'm not looking forward to having to use so the pro will be a nice option to carry along all the documents, PDFs and study material. The pencil will be a nice option for notes and I'm hoping Adobe or other developers come up with some great apps for photographers and image editing. Having to give up the wedding photography business but still plan to continue to shoot Aerial, portraits and landscapes. So I think the iPad pro will work well for what I'm needing on the road and I have the MBP or MacPro at home to work with. Not to mention a great way to watch movies when sitting
In the hotel or airport on my trips.
Hope they announce it soon.

uid15

Suspended
Mar 9, 2015
I've decided to ditch my 2010 MacBook Air for the iPad Pro! I'm kind of nervous but my Air has never been much of a workhorse computer and I don't use a laptop much, just when I want/need a bigger screen.

Segway instead of a car? Only you can make that call.

Reactions: Loopy65

engineerben

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2010
Greenville Tx
It "was right" when MS pen based computers and hybrids started to catch on
When Apple was on its heels in the nineties, everybody said Apple should license its OS, since it was the only thing of value it had, and so Apple licensed Mac OS to third parties. When Jobs returned in '97, that was the first thing he nixed, and everyone said it was a mistake.

When Apple introduced the iPod, everyone said it was silly for a computer company to get into the music player business.

When the iPhone came along, everyone said it was a toy; besides, what made Apple think it could compete against Motorola, Nokia and Microsoft?

And the iPad...why, it's just a big iPod touch!

Now, after all that history of kicking against the smartest analysts in the room, you're telling me that Apple is going to slavishly copy Microsoft to pull in a feature just to pull in a feature?

I'd never assert that Apple doesn't pay attention to the market - they want to build products that people actually, you know, want, after all. But the fact that they don't play the spec race (more RAM! more ports! faster CPU!) implies to me that they're playing a game that doesn't really focus on their competition.

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Oct 12, 2015
Canada
I never said it did it better but in some cases not worse either but different. It's a mental shift you have to do. I don't have to send many attachments. The ones I do I do through Pages or Excel. No problem. I do have a problem dealing with PDFs. I haven't found a viable solution I like.

But let's look at it like this...I remember when laptops were becoming more and more common place in the office (yes, I'm that old) and we graphic designers bemoaned laptops because you couldn't do any REAL work on them. The keyboard was too restrictive, the screens too small, the software too big, the files too large, the processor too slow.
Now a laptop is a viable option for graphic designers and many other professions who couldn't find a use for one in the early days.

I think the iPad will find it's way.

I think no body denies that iPad Pro is useful in someways. However, iPad would never replace laptop, just like laptop never replaced desktop. There are still
some tasks that you cannot do with MacBook Pro or do it slower than Mac Pro.

The problem is iPad will never like laptop. At least with laptop, you get all the accessories and ports available to you. Beside new MacBook (which i found pointless), you never find a laptop without at least 2 USB port, SD card slot, large enough hard desk and more importantly, non-restrictive OS. Where as iPad will never gain USB port, never will able to connect external drive, will never able to connect to external monitor, will never able to use SD card, will never have desktop OS.

I am perfect fine with iOS for just browsing, send some text or compose some short emails. In fact, iOS does these things better than OS X or Windows. Ability to touch website is just better than laptop or desktop. But do get some work done, I just cannot use iOS. For me, iOS is too resurrective.

npolly0212

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2015
You have no idea how much I want to do that. Sadly though, I have to use a laptop for Xcode and Eclipse. I will be getting a Pro to test on though so I'll see how well it can replace my laptop.
God please let me know how this goes

I'm a computer science major in college currently and use eclipse in my everyday life and have been looking into a pro

Reactions: iphonedude2008

iphonedude2008

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2009
Irvine, CA
God please let me know how this goes

I'm a computer science major in college currently and use eclipse in my everyday life and have been looking into a pro
I honestly hate eclipse. It's got a bad ui, way to busy interface, and slow. Xcode has is so much easier to work with, but I can't do a lot of languages like Java. How do you feel about it?

npolly0212

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2015
I honestly hate eclipse. It's got a bad ui, way to busy interface, and slow. Xcode has is so much easier to work with, but I can't do a lot of languages like Java. How do you feel about it?
I'm not big into eclipse, but it's he only program my teachers have allowed us to do. Used multiple different ones but have become most comfortable with eclipse since I have to do all assignments through it anyway

iphonedude2008

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2009
Irvine, CA
I'm not big into eclipse, but it's he only program my teachers have allowed us to do. Used multiple different ones but have become most comfortable with eclipse since I have to do all assignments through it anyway
If eclipse got a major redesign, I'd feel much better using it. Right now, it just feels like software from last century. I also don't like the error handling where it has these small, busy icons. It's code completion is much faster than Xcode I'll give it that.

npolly0212

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2015
If eclipse got a major redesign, I'd feel much better using it. Right now, it just feels like software from last century. I also don't like the error handling where it has these small, busy icons. It's code completion is much faster than Xcode I'll give it that.
Yeah Xcode is one I have yet to use actually
Will have to look into it

IHelpId10t5

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2014

Just my opinion but I'm still a firm believer that laptops and tablets are two different platforms and always will be. They serve different functions. We all see the attempts by Apple, Google, and Microsoft to slowly merge desktop and touch OSs together as tablet and phone hardware evolves. However, to this point in time none of these heavyweights have even come close to a successful combination OS. Just look at the ergonomic nightmare that is Win 8 or 10 touchscreen laptops. At least Apple (so far) understands that reaching out and touching a vertical screen doesn't make any sense.

I think it comes down to touch vs. keyboard/mouse. If you need to type, do fine mouse movements, or perform complex tasks then tablets and their touch-enables applications just don't cut it. If you need portability and simplicity then tablets excel. They are simply two different tools that each have their strengths.

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
Just look at the ergonomic nightmare that is Win 8 or 10 touchscreen laptops. At least Apple (so far) understands that reaching out and touching a vertical screen doesn't make any sense.

Ergonomic or not, depends on the way to use the screen. A normal laptop with touch screen? No way. I have Zenbook and i bought the one without a touch screen. I cant think about myself reaching to the screen. But then Surface / Book, a laptop with a touch screen is an excellent innovation. If i now was in a situation of buying a new win laptop, i wouldnt hesitate to check Surface / Book well..

iPad pro replacing a laptop? Not in my use.. I do work with my laptop and it isnt possible with ios. and in the first place because it doesnt even support a mouse.

Sharkey311

Suspended
Jan 11, 2013
I sold my MacBook Air because it didn't really do what I needed it to do, which was to be a home base to store all of my files I need. I got a 1TB Mac Mini for that and I am satisfied.

The iPad Pro will serve both as a media consumption device and a device that I can write papers on, take notes among other various school tasks and do some photo editing on occasion.

Reactions: Sech

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
Where as iPad will never gain USB port (So far, but I'm not 100% sure it will never get one, USB C is pretty ideal), never will able to connect external drive (Multiple Options Here), will never able to connect to external monitor (Sorta), will never able to use SD card (Already Does), will never have desktop OS (sure).

Some links and comments embedded inline. I do know what you are trying to get at, which is to say it will never do it in the same way as a laptop or desktop. But already the market is adapting to deal with this. And I expect it to continue to evolve. Especially if Apple is serious about backing up the "Pro" part of the iPad going forward. Honestly, going forward, I actually expect the port that replaces Lightning will be USB C or one of it's children.

iPad pro replacing a laptop? Not in my use.. I do work with my laptop and it isnt possible with ios. and in the first place because it doesnt even support a mouse.

I'm always curious when I hear that the lack of a mouse is deal breaker. What usage are you specifically looking at where this is a deal breaker? I'm genuinely curious, since it helps me understand better how other folks are trying to do work. :)

Reactions: Centris 650

engineerben

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2010
Greenville Tx
Krevnik, I'm not sure why you say "sorta" with regard to external monitor support. I use the Lightning to HDMI connector all the time, works great! Not multiple monitors, of course.

Reactions: Centris 650

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
Krevnik, I'm not sure why you say "sorta" with regard to external monitor support. I use the Lightning to HDMI connector all the time, works great! Not multiple monitors, of course.

That's exactly why I said sorta. :)

It gives you a way to send video, or a second screen if an app supports it, but it isn't general purpose like say, split screen.

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
I'm always curious when I hear that the lack of a mouse is deal breaker. What usage are you specifically looking at where this is a deal breaker? I'm genuinely curious, since it helps me understand better how other folks are trying to do work. :)

For example when writing. If i write alot with ipad, i use a bt keyboard. When using a bt keyboard, my ipad is standing on the table and the keyboard is on my lap if im sitting on the couch... Anyway.. It isnt a very convenience way to touch the screen then. Or think about using airplay/screen mirroring and using a bt keyboard. Or editing photos using my fingertips? I never can select it correctly using my "fat" fingers... Just a couple examples.

Reactions: sracer

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
Im kinda tempted to sell my air 2 lte and my rmbp and get a iPad pro lte and then pick up a 5k iMac down the road.
nice, if you can't afford to keep your rmbp then go ahead, its a nice setup
still if you are on the road or vacantion you can do more things with your rmbp than ipad pro...so make sure that you really cant keep it and take ipad pro only with selling your air 2 and put some extra cash

Skylitfly

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2014
The problem is iPad will never like laptop. At least with laptop, you get all the accessories and ports available to you. Beside new MacBook (which i found pointless), you never find a laptop without at least 2 USB port, SD card slot, large enough hard desk and more importantly, non-restrictive OS. Where as iPad will never gain USB port, never will able to connect external drive, will never able to connect to external monitor, will never able to use SD card, will never have desktop OS.

Thats the point. In near future you're not supposed to use these old and clumsy technologies. The new MacBook has a point indeed. Why would you like to use external drives, USB thumb drives, SD cards etc. when you don't have to anymore.

I never had external hard drive, I haven't used thumb drives for years and I never used SD card. And I will never use. There are other solutions available and I certainly like them way better.

Reactions: Sharkey311

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Thats the point. In near future you're not supposed to use these old and clumsy technologies. The new MacBook has a point indeed. Why would you like to use external drives, USB thumb drives, SD cards etc. when you don't have to anymore.
That's the thing. There are many who still "have to".

Wifi access is not a given for everybody in all situations. If you're on a flight, or on a highway (especially here in the sprawling southwest) there are many times when one doesn't have access to wifi and by extension, the cloud. Cell data capabilities in tablets and laptops aren't that common and are still prone to deadspots.

There are times, like when meeting with a customer or client and they have data to share on a thumbdrive. At that point it is easier to be able to take the thumbdrive and pop it in and copy the file rather than have them upload it to the cloud, make it shareable, give the person the link, and then have to download it.

There are many more scenarios where wireless is just inferior to locally stored data.

In this cloud universe where physical media is a distant memory, are you making physical backups of your data or are you relying on dropbox, OneDrive, iCloud, etc. to preserve your data?

No solution is universally superior in all situations, but unfortunately there is this drumbeat of "wireless is now, wireless is the future, get out of the stone age" that ignores the reality for many.

Skylitfly

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2014
That's the thing. There are many who still "have to".

Wifi access is not a given for everybody in all situations. If you're on a flight, or on a highway (especially here in the sprawling southwest) there are many times when one doesn't have access to wifi and by extension, the cloud. Cell data capabilities in tablets and laptops aren't that common and are still prone to deadspots.

There are times, like when meeting with a customer or client and they have data to share on a thumbdrive. At that point it is easier to be able to take the thumbdrive and pop it in and copy the file rather than have them upload it to the cloud, make it shareable, give the person the link, and then have to download it.

There are many more scenarios where wireless is just inferior to locally stored data.

In this cloud universe where physical media is a distant memory, are you making physical backups of your data or are you relying on dropbox, OneDrive, iCloud, etc. to preserve your data?

No solution is universally superior in all situations, but unfortunately there is this drumbeat of "wireless is now, wireless is the future, get out of the stone age" that ignores the reality for many.
Yeah. I do know that this is still reality for some. But it doesn't have to be. And in some years, lets say... 5-10 years almost nobody will use thumb drives or SD cards etc. anymore.

Wireless is indeed the future. You can live with it or not. It's up to you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.