Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Yeah. I do know that this is still reality for some. But it doesn't have to be. And in some years, lets say... 5-10 years almost nobody will use thumb drives or SD cards etc. anymore.

Wireless is indeed the future. You can live with it or not. It's up to you.

srracer's point is that often the "not" is forced upon you and availability 5-10 years away is irrelevant today. It is not up to you. I just went on a week-long trip to a place where no wireless is available, in January there will be another week-long trip to another location where it is not available, and next May I'll be in yet another location for 3 weeks where wireless in not available. For that matter, in all of these cases a wired Internet connection is not available (though electricity is). I don't care about 10 years from now, I need to work today's (and next year's) problem.

Reactions: sracer

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Yeah. I do know that this is still reality for some. But it doesn't have to be. And in some years, lets say... 5-10 years almost nobody will use thumb drives or SD cards etc. anymore.

Wireless is indeed the future. You can live with it or not. It's up to you.
In this cloud universe where physical media is a distant memory, are you making physical backups of your data or are you relying on dropbox, OneDrive, iCloud, etc. to preserve your data?

Skylitfly

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2014
srracer's point is that often the "not" is forced upon you and availability 5-10 years away is irrelevant today. It is not up to you. I just went on a week-long trip to a place where no wireless is available, in January there will be another week-long trip to another location where it is not available, and next May I'll be in yet another location for 3 weeks where wireless in not available. For that matter, in all of these cases a wired Internet connection is not available (though electricity is). I don't care about 10 years from now, I need to work today's (and next year's) problem.
Well. I can only talk about my personal experience with these things, but during the last 3 years. I've been "forced" to use thumb drive once or twice. Not a big deal. Almost everyone uses Google Drive or Dropbox anyways. I've never had to deal with SD cards or external hard drives.

Most people (like over 85%) who I communicate and share files with prefers cloud services over physical storage solutions. And in case I'm in doubt I can inform beforehands that I'm much more willing to use cloud services over thumb drives and other crap.

Big part of this is how you make it to be. I understand that in some cases you may have to go to the area where wireless connections aren't an option. But how often? And how many of us will do that anyway? Yeah. You are the minority. You are in a situation where your surroundings are stuck in the past "forcing" you to adapt.

All I can still say. In modern world it is indeed possible and more convinient to go basically all wireless. It's up to you and your surroundings if you will to do so.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Well. I can only talk about my personal experience with these things, but during the last 3 years. I've been "forced" to use thumb drive once or twice. Not a big deal. Almost everyone uses Google Drive or Dropbox anyways. I've never had to deal with SD cards or external hard drives.

Most people (like over 85%) who I communicate and share files with prefers cloud services over physical storage solutions. And in case I'm in doubt I can inform beforehands that I'm much more willing to use cloud services over thumb drives and other crap.

Big part of this is how you make it to be. I understand that in some cases you may have to go to the area where wireless connections aren't an option. But how often? And how many of us will do that anyway? Yeah. You are the minority. You are in a situation where your surroundings are stuck in the past "forcing" you to adapt.

All I can still say. In modern world it is indeed possible and more convinient to go basically all wireless. It's up to you and your surroundings if you will to do so.

Trust me, there are huge expanses of this world without Internet connectivity that an awful lot of us have to or choose to travel to and spend significant amounts of time there. So yes, we are"forced" into non-wireless solutions and it is not up to us.

Skylitfly

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2014
Trust me, there are huge expanses of this world without Internet connectivity that an awful lot of us have to or choose to travel to and spend significant amounts of time there. So yes, we are"forced" into non-wireless solutions and it is not up to us.
I realize that. There are also huge expanses of this world where there is Internet connectivity.

In case you CHOOSE to travel to location with no connectivity. Then it is indeed up to YOU that you cant use wireless solutions.

If you HAVE to travel to such location. Then I agree, relying on wireless solutions is inconvinient. However, how often does this happens for most of us? Rarely.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I realize that. There are also huge expanses of this world where there is Internet connectivity.

In case you CHOOSE to travel to location with no connectivity. Then it is indeed up to YOU that you cant use wireless solutions.

If you HAVE to travel to such location. Then I agree, relying on wireless solutions is inconvinient. However, how often does this happens for most of us? Rarely.
You still have not answered my question about backing up your data. o_O

AFEPPL

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2014
England
I can understand you wanting to ditch the MBA, but i'd move to the MBP.
The iPad pro has a mickey mouse OS and is not one thing of the other... if you want a functional tablet crossover it has to be the surface.

Reactions: sonicrobby

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA

Fine. Those of us who do HAVE to deal with this on a regular basis and for extended periods will deal with it as we HAVE to. We are in agreement that our our problem is not one you have to deal with.

Skylitfly

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2014
In this cloud universe where physical media is a distant memory, are you making physical backups of your data or are you relying on dropbox, OneDrive, iCloud, etc. to preserve your data?
Yeah, I will indeed rely on cloud services just like I do at the moment.

Reactions: sracer

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe

clouds are physical storages - maybe not need your administration... i use a nas as a cloud which is independent of others and their decisions (companies). it is secured and i dont pay monthly or yearly subscription fee and have 4tb (2x4 raid1 config) to store data.

and there are certainly data which i dont want to store in onedrive/gdrive/dropbox or icloud either...

and connecting ios to share/move/copy files between locations a and b is a pain in an ass without a good filing system that you can handle yourself. i dont see a future for ipad pro, nothing else than a larger consumption ipad.

and if you think about relying on clouds managed by companies, just google how many have lost their photos from icloud just some error they made or bug in icloud / server error...

Last edited:

Loopy65

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 6, 2008
Wales, UK
The iPad pro has a mickey mouse OS and is not one thing of the other... if you want a functional tablet crossover it has to be the surface.
Had a MBP before the Air .. I just find I use a laptop less and less. Still have a desktop machine if needs be in the house so it's definitely looking more and more as though the iPad pro will be what I need (bigger screen primarily) :)

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
All I know is this: I finished working on a WordPress website last night on my MacBook. I don't even want to know what that would have been like on my iPad.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
All I know is this: I finished working on a WordPress website last night on my MacBook. I don't even want to know what that would have been like on my iPad.
I think that it can be helpful to others if you describe what was it about your experience that led you to conclude that it would be worse on an iPad.

Skylitfly

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2014
clouds are physical storages - maybe not need your administration...

and there are certainly data which i dont want to store in onedrive/gdrive/dropbox or icloud either...

if you think about relying on clouds managed by companies, just google how many have lost their photos from icloud just some error they made or bug in icloud / server error...

Yeah. Clouds are physical storage indeed. But it doesn't appear physical storage to a person using it. Do I have to mention how many times I, my friends, relatives or collagues have lost their thumb drives, SD cards or any other physical object for that matter? Cloud services are indeed more convininet and secure in these scenarios.

Yeah. Many of us may have data we would not like to give someone else acces to. However, If somebody really wants your data. He/she will find a way no matter what. And I believe that in future we will have more secure and more personal cloud storages available for us. If you are that worried about your data being in cloud, you can just start walking around wearing tin foil hat all the times.

You are hundreds of times more likely to lost data on your external drive than from Dropbox, Google Drive etc. No matter how you try to think about it.

engineerben

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2010
Greenville Tx
I think sracer's point is right...there are lots of places where the net is slow or nonexistent. I live in a part of Texas without cable, fiber or even DSL. My net is over terrestrial wireless, and right now (Sunday morning) my download speed is topping out at about 1Mbps. LTE is a little faster out here (3-4Mbps) but using that as a regular net connection is pretty expensive. Moving multi-gigabyte files around the cloud as a routine matter isn't really an option for me.

I'm not saying that Apple (or any other manufacturer, for that matter) should stop including features and functions that require fast network access, but I am saying that manufacturers should be aware that, today at least, fast network access is not ubiquitous and cheap, and provide ways to make their gear work in network-less environments.

No laptop has DB9 serial ports anymore...but I can still buy USB to serial adapters to run any legacy gear I might have sitting around. That's all I'm talking about...ubiquitous net is the future, but it's not the present.

Having said all that, I'm pretty pleased with the methods available to get stuff moved around my LAN and on and off my iDevices. It's not really a limitation for me, so I'll be staying with IOS even without some of the more net-hungry features. YMMV.

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
I think that it can be helpful to others if you describe what was it about your experience that led you to conclude that it would be worse on an iPad.

Clicking small user interface elements, uploading files, working with funky WordPress-native drop down menus, selecting colors on a square color palette, and copying and pasting, just to name a few. Not to mention jumping into Illustrator to create quick icon or two for the website. Illustrator doesn't exist on iOS (unfortunately).

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
Starting a new job with the airlines and I'm trying to reduce the size and weight of what I take with me. I have a mini but I'm picking up the Pro for the screen size, portability and smaller charger options. The airline gives pilots a surface which I'm not looking forward to having to use so the pro will be a nice option to carry along all the documents, PDFs and study material. The pencil will be a nice option for notes and I'm hoping Adobe or other developers come up with some great apps for photographers and image editing. Having to give up the wedding photography business but still plan to continue to shoot Aerial, portraits and landscapes. So I think the iPad pro will work well for what I'm needing on the road and I have the MBP or MacPro at home to work with. Not to mention a great way to watch movies when sitting
In the hotel or airport on my trips.
Hope they announce it soon.

I feel for you if you have to use Jeppesen's software.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Depends on what you do. If you need tools like SSH/telnet, RDP, VNC, IRC, etc. and expect them to work in the background like any modern computing device then you're going to be in for a rude awakening. They die after 3 minutes due to iOS limitation/restriction. Also, if you do things that require a mouse forget it.

Last edited:

Sharkey311

Suspended
Jan 11, 2013
What the hell does mickey mouse OS even mean?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.