Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Has your 11” or 12.9” iPad Pro bent?

• Yes

Votes: 55 25.6%
  • No

Votes: 160 74.4%

• Total voters

MDA84

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2008
Gosh!!!! This was to be expected after I saw the bending test the weak point is right where the rigidity is weaken by usb c port....
and now my 10.5 has the white spot flaw, really apple

Reactions: Ghost31

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
Gosh!!!! This was to be expected after I saw the bending test the weak point is right where the rigidity is weaken by usb c port....
and now my 10.5 has the white spot flaw, really apple

That is not where his bent.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I don't think the new iPad's are any more or less bendable. It's aluminum, it will bend with enough pressure. You need to be more careful with expensive devices.

It’s like the iPhone 6 Plus with the 6000 Series aluminum, for those who inadvertently sat on their phones, it did Bend. I owned that phone for two years and never had an issue with any type of bending, because I used a proper case and at the time, I was conscious of how I handled my iPhone. For some people in some cases, not so much, they will abuse their property and blame Apple.

Ettepetje

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2018
I have the iPad 12.9” 1TB on order which I plan on taking with me in one of several backpacks, depending on occasion. This does not bode well. The 4 iPad Pro’s 2017 I own have proven themselves sturdy and easily up to their task.

If I didn’t crave the 1TB Wifi 12.9” as my main video storage-and-workhorse I would consider trading in a 2017 iPad Pro for a larger model (3 are 256GB, from before the price raise of the bigger memory models).

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007
I don't think the new iPad's are any more or less bendable. It's aluminum, it will bend with enough pressure. You need to be more careful with expensive devices.

The new ones are butter compared to the old ones. If you watch bend tests for the older models, you'll see that they require a lot more force to bend. If you watch the photos you see it bend at the gaping hole weak point in the side. The metal is so thin and weak it it folds like paper. In the drop test the back had waves in the aluminium from dropping it, the force travelling was enough to cause ripples and deform the back side.

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans

Not sure... clearly it looks more bendable. Aluminum is softer, but thickness increases stiffness. My 1st gen ipad wont bend like this without tools, even though its still aluminum :p

fm_carv

Suspended
Aug 3, 2015
Did it bend by magic or did you sit on it?

I’ve been carrying my 12.9 in my backpack and no problems whatsoever

In fact here it is right now in Zürich airport waiting for my flight.

92150a36faff6bd560cc1847ef3e2f36.jpg

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Does the 11" bend just as easy?

Due to the 11" size being a bit smaller it would take a little bit more pressure but would still bend. I have been in the schools where the back packs are all over the floor and people having to walk over them to retrieve their's. If the iPad was not between books or not supported from both sides and someone stepped on it . . . . physics can be cruel.

Last edited:

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
Yeah, I am kinda questioning the OP. He just says in passing “after a weekend in my backpack”....then goes on to showcasing a pretty drastic bend without further explanation. Was he climbing Everest? Lol. How was it in his backpack? Jammed in without a case? If not, was the iPad at least in a protective compartment of the backpack or was it just jostling around in the backpack full of heavy crap? And if it supposedly bends like butter...um...why haven’t we heard about hundreds or thousands of other people with similar videos? So many red flags here.
[doublepost=1542049905][/doublepost]
Due to the 11" size being a bit smaller it would take a little bit more pressure but would still bend. I have been is the schools where the back packs are all over the floor and people having to walk over them to retrieve their's. If the iPad was not between books or not supported from both sides and someone stepped on it . . . . physics can be cruel.

Well...anyone who leaves a thousand plus dollar device in a backpack on the floor where people are stepping on it...um...that person pretty much deserves what they get. Who in their right mind would do that?

Last edited:

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Not sure... clearly it looks more bendable. Aluminum is softer, but thickness increases stiffness. My 1st gen ipad wont bend like this without tools, even though its still aluminum :p

I don’t know, I’ve never bent any of my Apple products, but I take care of them.
[doublepost=1542050715][/doublepost]
The new ones are butter compared to the old ones. If you watch bend tests for the older models, you'll see that they require a lot more force to bend. If you watch the photos you see it bend at the gaping hole weak point in the side. The metal is so thin and weak it it folds like paper. In the drop test the back had waves in the aluminium from dropping it, the force travelling was enough to cause ripples and deform the back side.

I guess I’ll just take care of my Apple devices and hope for the best.

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
I don’t know, I’ve never bent any of my Apple products, but I take care of them.
[doublepost=1542050715][/doublepost]

I guess I’ll just take care of my Apple devices and hope for the best.

Exactly. Just take care of your device. Yes, it’s thinner. But some people are saying it bends like butter. So ridiculous. If you sit on an expensive device or toss it around without a case...um...guess what? Chances are you are gonna break something. Take some friggin responsibility. Everything isn’t Apple’s fault.

chris_b

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2017
My neighbor thought he was being smart and left his iPad on the couch, even put a pillow on it for protection. One of the kids jumped on the couch with a knee directly to the pillow and the poor iPad made a "SNAP" noise as the glass broke.
Haha, I leave mine on the couch all the time and I’m just waiting for the day one of my kids do that. Though it’ll be my own fault and I won’t be posting on here complaining about it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.