Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Has your 11” or 12.9” iPad Pro bent?

• Yes

Votes: 55 25.6%
  • No

Votes: 160 74.4%

• Total voters

VMMan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2009
I’m not an Apple apologist, but I actually think Apple did a great job in making the iPad able to withstand bending forces and still function!

Waterman316

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2018
Jeez. Am I the only one who thinks that a device that’s meant to be mobile should be fairly sturdy and not just bend easily from being placed in a back pack? It’s a mobile device not a piece of fine jewelry. I get the point of taking care of your stuff, but holy crap.

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2018
Jeez. Am I the only one who thinks that a device that’s meant to be mobile should be fairly sturdy and not just bend easily from being placed in a back pack? It’s a mobile device not a piece of fine jewelry. I get the point of taking care of your stuff, but holy crap.

Depends how you define "in a backpack."

There is a HUGE difference from taking it from the car to the office/library setting it down and taking your device out; strictly transportation of the device. It's another thing if you have it in there with heavy text books or wear it and sit down leaning against it.

I bet if you put a modern aluminum body ultrabook in there with some heavy books and/or leaned back on it you could dent the body too. Aluminum is aluminum is aluminum; it's a relatively soft metal.

And if you plan to not think about it then put a rigid shell case on it so you dont have to worry about what's in the bag or putting pressure on the device.

This is the same nonsense as bendgate. In that case there was zero excuse for sitting on your $500-1000 electronic device; it is irresponsible no matter how much you want to blame Apple or make excuses. The OWNER caused the damage with carelessness, period.

If you watch the original Unbox Therapy video about it his hands were shaking and fingers red pressing just to get a little bow in it. It was WAY over-sensationalized (and the only person who made out on that was Lew with 71 million views and probably 6 figures of ad revenue just on that one video).

TENS OF MILLIONS never has any bend issues as they sold 74.5 million of them as of 2017. I have heard of maybe a handful of non-intentional bend issues total and Apple replaced the devices for free. A handful of legit not intentionally bending cases out of 74.5 million sold.

Last edited:
Reactions: ZombiePete

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I carry my iPad in my laptop bag every day and have never had one bend even in the in slightest.

baddj

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2009
Just had my iPad 11” replaced as it was flexing with very little presssure.

I went in to the store as an inch around the screen the pencil felt really grainy.

When the genius came back from the back room he said it was from the screen flexing and he also said the floor units where the same just at different areas on the screen still had it replaced as my unit was really bad compared to the floor ones.

So these units seem very flexible with little pressure. Have not opened my replacement yet I’m hoping it is not as bad as my first one.

TJone

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2010
I wonder if the recycled aluminum is not as strong compared to previous nonrecycled aluminum in bending stiffness. I'm always surprised the glass doors not crack when the case bends. That is a lot of stress for the glass to withstand. Anyways I will skip this gen and see what 2019 has in store. Hopefully more sturdy iPads.

Reactions: Cape Dave

Tapiture

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2016
Compromising battery life? I can’t tell any difference in battery life between my gen one 12.9 and my 2018 12.9. Maybe you were being sarcastic?
They’ve been very vague about battery life, saying “all day” instead of a quotable hour figure. One would think they could fit a larger battery in if they kept the thickness the same. I’m sure if you had people vote on whether they wanted a longer battery life and more durability, or a shorter battery life, less durability, but 3mm thinner, they’d choose the first option.

JP913

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2014
Orlando
You want ultra thin, ultra light devices, and then you’re shocked when they bend in a backpack full of who-knows-what pressing against it or when it’s sat on.

I guess we’ll all just wait for the Adamantium iPad Pro’s in the future.

RevTEG

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2012
San Jose, Ca
They’ve been very vague about battery life, saying “all day” instead of a quotable hour figure. One would think they could fit a larger battery in if they kept the thickness the same. I’m sure if you had people vote on whether they wanted a longer battery life and more durability, or a shorter battery life, less durability, but 3mm thinner, they’d choose the first option.

I totally get what your saying. I’m sure you’re right. However, I’m a heavy daily user of my iPad (I use my iPad Pro as my work “computer”) and I have zero issues with battery. I’m not sure how longer battery would benefit me at all. The only iPad I’ve ever had battery issues with was iPad 3. Battery life, in my opinion, is extremely satisfactory and much better than any laptop I’ve ever owned. I think Apple has been able to find a great balance between portable and 8-10+ hours of battery life. I frequently use my gen one pro on international flights from the States to Asia and I’ve never kild the battery on those flights. Sure, I’m not running it every minute of the flight, but I’m not being careful either. Not sure how much longer battery I could want? It’s not hard to plug it in at night when I sleep.

Reactions: Lobwedgephil

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Bendgate with the iPhone 6 was real. This is also very real.

Except, no one isn’t saying it isn’t ‘real’. Others are saying treat your property with respect and it likely won’t be an issue. It’s a thin piece of aluminum, if you mis-treat it, clearly bending of this nature can happen, but in most cases, it’s preventable. Millions of people will enjoy their iPads without ever having to deal with this ‘Issue.’

Reactions: bevsb2 and 1144557

fm_carv

Suspended
Aug 3, 2015
Exactly, clear case of user error.

What were you thinking, TAKING your super slim, super light computer with LTE connectivity OUT OF THE HOUSE? Are you crazy?

look at me writing this on my new 12.9 iPad Pro outside of my house and afterwards I’ll proceed to put it back in my backpack and guess what....with zero bending issues.

You do have to wonder some of the comments on here

fm_carv

Suspended
Aug 3, 2015
Just had my iPad 11” replaced as it was flexing with very little presssure.

I went in to the store as an inch around the screen the pencil felt really grainy.

When the genius came back from the back room he said it was from the screen flexing and he also said the floor units where the same just at different areas on the screen still had it replaced as my unit was really bad compared to the floor ones.

So these units seem very flexible with little pressure. Have not opened my replacement yet I’m hoping it is not as bad as my first one.

Photo or it didn’t happen

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007
look at me writing this on my new 12.9 iPad Pro outside of my house and afterwards I’ll proceed to put it back in my backpack and guess what....with zero bending issues.

You do have to wonder some of the comments on here

Yet... You sound like the "Macbook Pro doesn't have keyboard issues, mine is fine" people.

Reactions: Awesom-0

fm_carv

Suspended
Aug 3, 2015
Bit hard now I don’t have that device no more and the new replacement is not suffering that issue.

show me the bend!

8950cb971cc7e806b1b1ca0d52ad454c.gif

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.