Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Has your 11” or 12.9” iPad Pro bent?

• Yes

Votes: 55 25.6%
  • No

Votes: 160 74.4%

• Total voters

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
My neighbor thought he was being smart and left his iPad on the couch, even put a pillow on it for protection. One of the kids jumped on the couch with a knee directly to the pillow and the poor iPad made a "SNAP" noise as the glass broke.

Yikes. Yeah, stuff like that can happen to any iPad no matter how thick. I still have the very first iPad. The Thing is built like a tank. Super heavy. Keep it around the house like a collectors item. We play scrabble on it during the holidays. Last year my nephew jumped on it - like your neighbor’s kid did - while it was on the couch. It didn’t bend, but the screen has a hairline crack now. Needless to say, I am keeping my new iPad Pro in my sock drawer during the Holidays. Lol.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Yikes. Yeah, stuff like that can happen to any iPad no matter how thick. I still have the very first iPad. The Thing is built like a tank. Super heavy. Keep it around the house like a collectors item. We play scrabble on it during the holidays. Last year my nephew jumped on it - like your neighbor’s kid did - while it was on the couch. It didn’t bend, but the screen has a hairline crack now.

I still have my first one too. Giant curved sides and MUCH thicker! Mine no longer works, likely battery but I still take it out and remember those days.

We have all paid so much for Apple's obsession with thin!
[doublepost=1542052194][/doublepost]
Haha, I leave mine on the couch all the time and I’m just waiting for the day one of my kids do that. Though it’ll be my own fault and I won’t be posting on here complaining about it.

Mine sits on a very heavy wood table next to the Lazyboy and even a lot of pressure would not harm it. I got cats and they do crazy things but could never hurt my 11" while there.

Bwrin1

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2016
Indianapolis
Just so everyone know. I’m in no way blaming Apple. I’m just disappointed on how fragile the metal is. I have had almost every iPad and never had issues. I take Care of my devices. Not sure how this happened as it was in the keyboard case inside my laptop pouch in my Incase backpack. But again I’m not blaming Apple just showing how easily is was bent without the glass already being broken

jammybastard

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2010
In Trasnic
same IPP as op, in a Apple Folio since it arrived.
taken to work everyday in my backpack.
definitely has a slight bow and twist to it when held up but when put face down on flat surface it’s not immediately apparent.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
I don't think the new iPad's are any more or less bendable. It's aluminum, it will bend with enough pressure. You need to be more careful with expensive devices.

I think proper testing (not with a broken screen) will bear a result that the current generation pros likely take a very low amount of force to bend, compared to prior models. Wouldn't be a problem for me, as I take care of my stuff (had an iPhone 6, never had a problem), but it still doesn't help just knowing it's that easy to bend.

s15119

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
Yes, sensitive electronic equipment will bend.

Not a gate. Just a fact of science. Treat your devices like it's an expensive and delicate computer and you will be fine.

maxgts

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2013
Sunnyvale, CA
We need something like this to prevent bendgate:
KHz4LE9.jpg

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I think proper testing (not with a broken screen) will bear a result that the current generation pros likely take a very low amount of force to bend, compared to prior models. Wouldn't be a problem for me, as I take care of my stuff (had an iPhone 6, never had a problem), but it still doesn't help just knowing it's that easy to bend.

I guess? I don’t know. It’s not really something I worry about personally. We get the same threads every year so who knows.

Cape Dave

Contributor
Nov 16, 2012
Northeast
Even a OtterBox case will not stop from bending if in a backpack and say someone steps on it. No matter what everyone thinks these a pretty delicate piece of electronics. The iPad would have to remain between two very hard surfaces.
Yup. Truth.
[doublepost=1542060257][/doublepost]
Exactly. Just take care of your device. Yes, it’s thinner. But some people are saying it bends like butter. So ridiculous. If you sit on an expensive device or toss it around without a case...um...guess what? Chances are you are gonna break something. Take some friggin responsibility. Everything isn’t Apple’s fault.
Refreshing. Thank you.

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
Bent my gen 1 iPad 12.9 pro, from top to bottom down the center from the camera to charge port. Just bent it back. I bought a more substantial case for it and the sold it on once the 10.5 came out. Now back on the new 12.9, will stick a decent case on it and it gets stored in my bag next to my MacBook Pro for protection.

Saskat

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2017
That really shouldn’t happen with normal usage, especially considering the price. By any chance op inadvertently sat on it or something?

droog

Suspended
Apr 10, 2018
Guys...he bent it didn’t come that way. He can gently flex it back, put a case on, and all will be well.
Yeah, but no. Pretty lame device if this is the case. I don't want to have to bend things back into shape. I would say something about the "pro" moniker and the concept of durability in a working environment, but that's all out the window with crApple.

Last edited:

ZombiePete

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX
Yeah, but no. Pretty lame device if this is the case. I don't want to have to bend things back into shape. I would say something about the "pro" moniker and the concept of durability in a working environment, but that's all out the window with crApple.
Best bet would be to ensure it does get sat or stepped on then. I’ve never had an issue like this with any of my Apple devices; my Pro 11 is just fine and I’ve been carrying it around in a backpack since launch day.

Cape Dave

Contributor
Nov 16, 2012
Northeast
Apple wasted a lot of time for making things thin when the users put it in something like this.

We users have sacrificed much for Apple’s obsession with thin. Start from the camera hump and go from there.
If this keeps up, one will soon cut their fingers simply picking it up. Just think if Apple obsessed about STRONG as much as it now does THIN. I have not heard one person say that the Surface Pro 6 is not thin enough. It is a refreshing change from all this "thinness". The SP6 seemed nice and sturdy when I checked it out.

Caesars

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2013
I suppose when I eventually purchase a new iPad in a few years, I’ll have to get some sort HARD shell to keep it on.

Reactions: Cape Dave

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
so I got my 12.9” 256gb cellular on launch day. I saw the video from everythingapplepro on YouTube. I wasn’t too worried because I assumed it was like that since the integrity of the device was faulty from all the drops. But today I realized mine has a slight bend. In less than a week it’s bent. Just had it in my backpack after a weekend of travel. Im disappointed on how easily this is able to bend. Time for a otter box defender
Yet another reason NOT to get a ridiculous 13” $1200 tablet.
If anything the 11” is stronger and for that price. I’d get an actual Laptop. The portability is the same.

Devices in many respects are measured in their portability.

A cell phone very portable, an 11” iPad Pro needs a sleeve to carry but slips in anywhere.
But a 13” inch Tablet you need a carry case or sleeve and something like a backpack. At that point might as well carry a small Laptop.

Reactions: MyMacintosh

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014
I think its definitely too fragile. I've said from the beginning after picking one up that I believe the reason Apple changed the folio design to include the back this year was to give the iPad a rigid back to help keep it from potentially bending.

Its beautiful to look at but I don't think its built strong enough. I Guess that's the sacrifice for thinness.

jagolden

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2002
Yet another reason NOT to get a ridiculous 13” $1200 tablet.
If anything the 11” is stronger and for that price. I’d get an actual Laptop. The portability is the same.

Devices in many respects are measured in their portability.

A cell phone very portable, an 11” iPad Pro needs a sleeve to carry but slips in anywhere.
But a 13” inch Tablet you need a carry case or sleeve and something like a backpack. At that point might as well carry a small Laptop.

I’ll stick with my 12.9. Useability is completely different than a laptop.
11" is nowhere near 12.9".
If it doesn’t fit in your pocket, it can’t just "slip in anywhere".
People don’t take care of their "stuff". Big, flat piece of aluminum and glass - recipe for bending. Should have put it in a case instead of trying to show off what he’s using.

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2014
Mistakes happen... most cannot avoid it. Some have no issues. Nonetheless, they happen. I just watched EverythingApplePro’s video and my jaw literally dropped when I watched him bend it. Hearing everything crack, that was insane. Thinness should not be their focus. Weight should be. I would not mind a thicker iPad. I care about weight.

This is a first gen redesign. First gens tend to be “betas” in some sort of way. I am sure the 4th gen iPad Pro will have improved durability if this becomes a widespread issue. These iPads are beautiful but this is definitely a turn off. This is an additional reason as to why I am keeping my 10.5. The 10.5 in his video did not break. Scratches and dents, sure. But nothing broke. The battery burning on the 2018 Pro, YIKES!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.