Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Has your 11” or 12.9” iPad Pro bent?

• Yes

Votes: 55 25.6%
  • No

Votes: 160 74.4%

• Total voters

Kal-037

macrumors 68020
how much has Apple paid you for that out of interest
Actually Samsung did so (for a reverse psychology reason.) ;) The "rant" itself was to get the message across (as Dave-Z said) to counter the other extreme going on. But there is some real truth to it as well. I've looked at Apple tablets, google, Samsung, and windows Surfaces... none are perfectly straight. the iPad does have an easier time bending more than others except the newest Samsung Tab S5e (but that doesn't mean either are super weak,) but both are affected easier by physics. The biggest goal I had was letting folks know the new Pros are worth it. They do NOT bend like Gumby, they CAN bend, but the 10.5" pro and Air 2 bent just as easily and people loved those. My last post was of course a bit of hyperbole, but so are many in this thread but people try to really scare and spook others for whatever silly reason. The iPad Pro is NOT the worst thing created since skinny jeans. ;) ?

Kal.
[automerge]1573073278[/automerge]
Feel better now?
Yeah, I wanted a moment on my soapbox and to try and get another view in the thread (one from the other extreme side that helps balance the pretty odd declarations and opinions.)

Last edited:

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
i'm currently using 1st gen 12.9 lte mainly for adobe sketch and designing for clients, its build like a truck and i'm pretty happy with it except the size and the way pencil charges. therefore i want to upgrade for

1, upgrade wireless pencil charging.
2, smaller foot print for carrying around

the biggest concern i have is i lug around heavy case files (think 2-3 dictionaries) and my ipad is usually in the same compartment. i have heard over the years that the new ipad pro tend to bend, are we talking about iphone 6 bendgate or something less serious.

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
I haven't had any issues with y 3rd gen 12.9, as I'm sure many, many others also haven't. "61 pages over bending" does not equate to 61 pages of "my 3rd gen 12.9 is bent".
what type of condition do you put your ipp through. if i get this its gonna be lugged around with heavy case files and my mbp.

edit: just saw this

yikes......

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
what type of condition do you put your ipp through. if i get this its gonna be lugged around with heavy case files and my mbp.

yikes......

I carry it around in a backpack with other things in it. Because the backpack has a soft back I put a lightweight cutting board in the pack's laptop sleeve area to provide stiffness - I did the same with my 10.5 Pro because with a soft pack, anything else hard in it can press outwards on the iPad. As for the video, I'd already seen it and it falls into my big deal category - who is going to subject their pricey iPad to that level of abuse? And I wouldn't hold my breath on Apple making any changes of substance to the iPad's sturdiness.

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts

yikes......
That iPad Pro was bent on purpose by a pair of buff hands. Of course it'll bend. Every iPad has been bendable.

Personally, my 3rd generation 12.9 inch iPad Pro (which is in a white Apple folio case) hasn't bent at all.

Do not be afraid to purchase a 3rd generation iPad Pro.

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
That iPad Pro was bent on purpose by a pair of buff hands. Of course it'll bend. Every iPad has been bendable.

Personally, my 3rd generation 12.9 inch iPad Pro (which is in a white Apple folio case) hasn't bent at all.

Do not be afraid to purchase a 3rd generation iPad Pro.
i understand, thats why i'm trying to understand if this is like iphone 6's bend gate like softness. thats the only real world experience i had.

right now i think my 1st gen ipp is on its last leg, the pencil is not responding correctly, there are some burn in on the screens, and i noticed the battery getting shottier.

Aydy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2015
Here’s another video from a well know Apple enthusiast. This guy loves his apple gear and this is more a drop test, he does bend it around the 8 minute mark and concludes “Thee most bendable product I have ever had the pleasure of bending” again, I reiterate, this guy is a huge supporter of apple and is in no way out to sully apples rep, so take that fwiw. Also note the bending takes place After the iPad has endured drops from height which resulted in the frame’s structure becoming significantly compromised, making the bending appear overly effortless

So far my 12.9 is doing ok. It doesn’t/hasn’t left the home since purchase. I’m not sure how it’d hold up to the elements but others have posted to having zero issues with daily commutes in backpacks which is encouraging, I guess.

Last edited:
Reactions: ilikewhey

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Most of the 'bend' complaints seem to have been when they were first announced, and more about the devices being bent right out of the box. This doesn't seem to be a common complaint anymore, not sure if Apple have since had a bit of a tinker inside to improve the rigidity of the chassis, changed the manufacturing process etc. I seem to remember someone got a chopping board to keep it flat against in their bag, I guess that could work? Otherwise just get a decent protective case and forget about it.

Reactions: Aydy

dsusanj

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2008
I have a 12.9" since week 1 or 2 when it was released last year. It has travelled with me across Europe many times over the past year as I am on a course in a different country. It's been in the Otterbox 360 case since day 1, and with other stuff (including a MacBook Pro, books, chargers etc.) in my backpack, no issues at all, no bends or anything.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Here’s another video from a well know Apple enthusiast. This guy loves his apple gear and this is more a drop test, he does bend it around the 8 minute mark and concludes “Thee most bendable product I have ever had the pleasure of bending” again, I reiterate, this guy is a huge supporter of apple and is in no way out to sully apples rep, so take that fwiw.

So far my 12.9 is doing ok. It doesn’t/hasn’t left the home since purchase. I’m not sure how it’d hold up to the elements but others have posted to having zero issues with daily commutes in backpacks which is encouraging, I guess.

I've dropped my 2018 12.9 three times (I'm old and have tremors and am clumsy) and each time plastic corners/edging on the case broke but no damage/bending to the iPad.

Reactions: Aydy

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
the biggest concern i have is i lug around heavy case files (think 2-3 dictionaries) and my ipad is usually in the same compartment. i have heard over the years that the new ipad pro tend to bend, are we talking about iphone 6 bendgate or something less serious.

As long as you careful enough to not put the iPad in harms way... you should be fine. As you mention, carrying your iPad among books... is perfectly fine. I’ve had my 12.9 iPP for nearly a year.. it will be a year in January.

I tend to take my iPP anywhere... its the cellular version. Don’t mind the critics.. the 2018 iPP hardware is awesome.

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
at this point in time unless it’s urgent and required now I would be waiting to see what the Gen 4 brings to the table hopefully in next few months
It’s not too urgent per say. I been using this since launch day and I would like to get a smaller foot print and easier way to charge the pencil, but from what I gathered in the last few days, it doesn’t seem like the 3rd gen is much of a tank as my 1st gen.

I had to deal with bendgate on the 6 and that was a nightmare of a experience, Apple had to replace the screen on a bend 6 and because the frame was bent the new replaced display did not sit flush against the frame. I would very much like to avoid that experience for any future products.
[automerge]1573500851[/automerge]
I will not tell you to buy the iPad Pro or not to buy it. I don't even know if it will bend in your case or not (I think you'll be fine, but, you decide for yourself). But I will tell you, whatever your decision, not to make ANY conclusions based on that guy and his clickbait videos.
Thanks, I don’t think Jerry rig everything is clickbait material, I been following him for awhile and I think his stance is fairly neutral and fair. A good example of his statement in regarding the sapphire used in Apple Watch, mine got hairline scratches here and there while my Rolex for 4 years look as pristine as the day I first wore it

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Thanks, I don’t think Jerry rig everything is clickbait material, I been following him for awhile and I think his stance is fairly neutral and fair. A good example of his statement in regarding the sapphire used in Apple Watch, mine got hairline scratches here and there while my Rolex for 4 years look as pristine as the day I first wore it

Yeah, but how much did that Rolex cost vs. the Apple watch? (The Rolex Submariner was the bling of choice for a lot of my buddies back when I worked as a commercial diver. Rolex makes sweet watches.)

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2014
The touchscreens on 12.9” iPad pros cannot be trusted. My 2017 model became insensitive to touches/swipes/typing and was infuriating to say the least. It got replaced under warranty and a few months later that one did the same. Neither had ever been dropped or physically abused (the 1st one it should obvious wasn’t or they wouldn’t have replaced it).

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
The touchscreens on 12.9” iPad pros cannot be trusted. My 2017 model became insensitive to touches/swipes/typing and was infuriating to say the least. It got replaced under warranty and a few months later that one did the same. Neither had ever been dropped or physically abused (the 1st one it should obvious wasn’t or they wouldn’t have replaced it).

That isn't the case with every one of them, though. Just like not all 10.5 Pro's got white spots (mine didn't), not all 11's were bent, etc. You can argue that you can't trust any iPad model and nobody should buy one.

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
Yeah, but how much did that Rolex cost vs. the Apple watch? (The Rolex Submariner was the bling of choice for a lot of my buddies back when I worked as a commercial diver. Rolex makes sweet watches.)
price wasn't what i was trying to say. my point is jerry rig everything stance is fair and neutral imo and he backs it up with scientific testing. i can swap out my submariner for a 300 bucks tissot in his video if you like.

back to the ipad, i'm gonna go to app store near me (5th ave nyc) when i leave office tomorrow, maybe put a little pressure to see how much flex it has?

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016

I think the OP is interested in the successor to the one you had the problems with - which seems to be a completely different screen.

Reactions: ilikewhey

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
price wasn't what i was trying to say. my point is jerry rig everything stance is fair and neutral imo and he backs it up with scientific testing. i can swap out my submariner for a 300 bucks tissot in his video if you like.

back to the ipad, i'm gonna go to app store near me (5th ave nyc) when i leave office tomorrow, maybe put a little pressure to see how much flex it has?
What is wrong with you! Don't apply any kind of force or pressure to devices you don't own. That is simply not cool and not what the devices are on display for.

Last edited:

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
What is wrong with you! Don't apply any kind of force or pressure to devices you don't own. That is simply not cool and not what the devices are on display for.
relax, im not gonna go bend it like these videos, just wanna see what kind of light flex it would give.
and by that logic everyone should go to apple store with gloves treating them like museum art works

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.