Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The.Glorious.Son

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL
The 11 will be newer and exciting for a bit. You still get a lot of the upgrades from the pro. It all comes down to how text looks to you. Some people claim they can't read it as well, while others don't notice or mind it. I personally am staying with my 8+ because I can handle OLED Android phones for some reason, so I also have one of those. If I wanted just one LCD iPhone, it would be the 11 without question.
Thank you again. There’s validity in the text difference on the 11. But, I found that even if I don’t choose zoom view, If I turn on large text I can get it to look like my 8 Plus. (I keep my text on the smaller side but these tweaks still improve the look). And now safari lets you toggle that text size so at 115% it looks like my 8 Plus. But I do struggle with the taller, more narrow aspect ratio. On the plus, videos natively fill the entire screen whereas on the 11 videos are still letterboxed ok the sides and the remaining screen cannot get as black as the bezels. The keyboard is slightly smaller too. Photos, videos, thumbnails are all slightly smaller. Resolution is fine. Nothing is easy Lol.

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
I don't watch videos on any phone, even a huge phone like the note 10+ isn't my style. How about the 11 and maybe an iPad air? It would still be cheaper than a 256gb pro 11

Reactions: asjdwf

Tofupunch

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2014
How has your experience been with the 11 so far? My Pro Max went back today and I miss it dearly. It really damaged the love I had for my 8 Plus. I still don’t know If I truly had PWM but I’m done with the buy and return crap. I’m torn between the 11 and 8 Plus. Do you have an opinion on that? Sad I’d lose a telephoto lens, 401ppi, and the sweet 16:9 aspect ratio of the 8 plus. But the 11 has a fantastic main camera, night mode, spatial audio, etc. I’m torn and taking all insights.
Unfortunately I don't think I can offer anything super useful. I am coming from a 6. My thoughts from the 6 to the 11 are that this thing is chunky and a bit unwieldy. I still can't get used to how much of a stretch it is to swipe down from the top for notifications or control center. And it's heavy. That said, I do love it. The screen real estate is great. There are some apps where the font/text looks fuzzy and not too sharp. I don’t know if that's the app not optimized for the 11 screen or if that's partly the limitations with the pixel density or resolution of the 11 (don't know too much about how all that works). But I try not to obsess over that too much. Overall, it's super fast, Faceid is great and the battery life is insane. I hear you that the buy and return game is lame but, why not give the 11 a shot? Worst case, you hate it, return it, and go back to your trust 8+.

77sunsetstrip

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2009
I stayed with the 8 Plus for two years because the PWM caused me headaches and I hated the notch and gestures. Recently I bought an LCD iPhone 11. No regrets. It’s great. Yes the screen resolution is not quite as good as the 8 Plus or OLED, but it’s not really noticeable. The biggest surprise is the speakers on the iPhone 11. The spatial stereo is superb. It’s a pleasure to watch and listen to movies. I can’t believe it but I now actually like the notch, which I used to hate. Also night mode is great. I hope Apple continues to offer LCD in the future. For those of you who have been holding on to the 8 Plus, I recommend the 11.

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
Thank you again. There’s validity in the text difference on the 11. But, I found that even if I don’t choose zoom view, If I turn on large text I can get it to look like my 8 Plus. (I keep my text on the smaller side but these tweaks still improve the look). And now safari lets you toggle that text size so at 115% it looks like my 8 Plus. But I do struggle with the taller, more narrow aspect ratio. On the plus, videos natively fill the entire screen whereas on the 11 videos are still letterboxed ok the sides and the remaining screen cannot get as black as the bezels. The keyboard is slightly smaller too. Photos, videos, thumbnails are all slightly smaller. Resolution is fine. Nothing is easy Lol.
How you doing with the pro?

The.Glorious.Son

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL
How you doing with the pro?
It went back weeks ago. I couldn’t tell if I truly had pwm issues or not, but I wasn’t going to get locked into the $1,350 after 14 days passed only to find that I was truly impacted. I think for me it was mental. But regardless, went back to my 8 Plus on 11/12. I miss the cameras. A lot. But that’s it.

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
It went back weeks ago. I couldn’t tell if I truly had pwm issues or not, but I wasn’t going to get locked into the $1,350 after 14 days passed only to find that I was truly impacted. I think for me it was mental. But regardless, went back to my 8 Plus on 11/12. I miss the cameras. A lot. But that’s it.
I don’t think it’s possible to have pwm headaches be “in your head” so I think you made the right call. I personally feel back at home with my 8+, but i almost never take pictures so it’s easier.

Reactions: jimmy_uk

The.Glorious.Son

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL
I don’t think it’s possible to have pwm headaches be “in your head” so I think you made the right call. I personally feel back at home with my 8+, but i almost never take pictures so it’s easier.

I think where it became confusing for me is that I had it deeply engrained in my mind, before ever opening the box, that I would be sensitive. I never got migraines, and some days not even a headache. Some days the eyes felt dry, some days I felt slight nausea, some days I just felt 'off'...all things associated with PWM, but also associated with anxiety. And I had anxiety every time I went to use the phone. (I hyper-focused well beyond what is considered rational). Given I didn't have the symptoms others have had where there clearly was no doubt.....I still sit wondering. I don't those things with my 8 Plus, but, I also have zero worry about them with my 8 Plus. Fun stuff.

I like my 8+ but you mentioned taking pictures....and that is the number two thing I do with my phone behind texting. I miss those cameras like crazy. We are over two months in and I still think about trying one last time lol. Even more concerning are the rumors for 2020. Without an LCD option and the only changes mentioned thus far being a thinner OLED screen, no mention of PC Dimming, etc.....it could be the end of the road for me and iPhones and that will suck.

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2013
every oled displays had these flickering. This has been acknowledge by samsung and other oled manufacturers. Even on my note 9 I still notice some flickering on low light situations, I hadn't had a single headache. I don't know if I will have on my Pro max as this is my first Iphone with Oled display.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Just an update. I have been using my 11 Pro since I got it on release day. I’m back from my opthamologist visit with an excellent bill of health. This is even with me using Face ID, which I do find makes my eyes feel dry if I have to use it a lot for authenticating my log ins.

Nevertheless, the doctor felt the Face ID beams were safe and didn’t find any damage during the exam. PWM on this model has not been an issue for me, which is also the case for my Note 10+. However if I switch back and forth between the two displays several times in a day my eyes feel a little strained. But I’m not getting headaches.

My migraine reactions to the the previous iPhone OLED displays I tried were bad enough I had to stop using them.

I know not everyone can use the newest OLED displays even now. It’s definitely an individual issue. And sometimes I do wonder if some iPhones have more even, less aggravating displays than another iPhone of the same model. I know from reading the rest of the forum and from comparing OLED phones with my husband that variances among OLED displays do exist.

I think I got lucky with my particular 11 Pro’s display.

dimitricook

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2013
Please help by filling in the survey about this!

Reactions: felixen2121

Laura1122

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2020
Hi,

whoever gets his new iPhone 11 Pro first... Could you be so kind and check how the new phones handle dimming the OLED display? I would love to buy one of the new phones but I tested the X and the XS and both gave me headaches.

Thanks
Biggest mistake I ever made was getting this phone. It dims ’t constantly to the point you can’t even see the screen(Perfect timing it’s doing it while I am typing this post) today actually came up with a message saying it’s too hot and not be used except for emergency. I should’ve stuck with androids never had a problem like this. Expensive phone and it’s crap

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
Biggest mistake I ever made was getting this phone. It dims ’t constantly to the point you can’t even see the screen(Perfect timing it’s doing it while I am typing this post) today actually came up with a message saying it’s too hot and not be used except for emergency. I should’ve stuck with androids never had a problem like this. Expensive phone and it’s crap

Your reply has got nothing to do with this thread. You’ve been told what to do with it multiple times.

The.Glorious.Son

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL
LolApparently I haven’t been told multiple times since I just posted it so I have no idea what you’re talking about lol
Probably talking about the fact that all 8 posts you’ve made have had to do with dimming. Dimming that has nothing to do with the PWM issue of this thread. Why don’t you just take your phone to Apple, or call Apple support, since it seems to be an issue with your phone, but certainly not the masses. That will get you much further than complaining in the forums.

vladi

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2010
I don't think 11 Pro is anywhere as bad as X which had horrible and too obvious PWM. If you are experiencing PWM you need to tweak brightness until PWM is not visible to you anymore.

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
I don't think 11 Pro is anywhere as bad as X which had horrible and too obvious PWM. If you are experiencing PWM you need to tweak brightness until PWM is not visible to you anymore.
So run the phone at eye blinding 100% brightness at all times and get a headache from that instead of PWM?!

Sorry, but if there was an easy work around many of us who suffer would do it.

But who am I to moan, Apple are going all in on OLED displays for the 12 series so I guess I'm out of the gang.

The.Glorious.Son

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL
So run the phone at eye blinding 100% brightness at all times and get a headache from that instead of PWM?!

But who am I to moan, Apple are going all in on OLED displays for the 12 series so I guess I'm out of the gang.
I cringe every time I see people recommend any of the dozens of ‘fixes’ that have been debunked. We have literally hundreds of pages that have proven some are affected, most are not, there’s not a fix for those affected nor will they get used to it, etc. etc.

I have resigned to the fact that I refuse to use this 8 Plus for a 4th straight year. It’d be different if I was a person who wanted to get the most life out of a phone possible. I’m not. I was an annual adopter until this. I hate the design of the 11, and cannot use OLED implemented by Apple. If all remains the same, it’s going to be a truly tough choice between succumbing to the narrow 11 or, ugh, Android.

vladi

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2010

Unfortunately marketing has prevailed. Brighter screens = better screens and price to pay for that is PWM spreading across wider not optimal brightness levels. If you ask me pentile OLED is super junk that has way too many cons for very few pros it gives but manufacturers use it cause it's cheaper than 10bit LCD.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
There was a prediction by Ming-Chi Kuo that there's a 5.5" LCD variant of the 2020 SE in the works that was penciled in to be launched at the same time the 2020 SE did... But for some reason or another got pushed forward to launch sometime in spring of 2021.
It's the successor to the 8 Plus with 5.5" LCD screen. Think iPhone 9 Plus.

For some reason I think it's going to happen . Looking forward to 2021 to see if it drops.

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
There was a prediction by Ming-Chi Kuo that there's a 5.5" LCD variant of the 2020 SE in the works that was penciled in to be launched at the same time the 2020 SE did... But for some reason or another got pushed forward to launch sometime in spring of 2021.
It's the successor to the 8 Plus with 5.5" LCD screen. Think iPhone 9 Plus.

For some reason I think it's going to happen . Looking forward to 2021 to see if it drops.
If it had dropped this year it would have been a purchase - but for me I'm always waiting for the next thing with Apple. 3yrs+ of waiting for an iPhone (plus/max size) without PWM. 2yrs+ waiting for a non bending ipad pro. Also iOS 13.5 has ruined my 7 plus (high battery drainage and mail app is broken, Apple don't know what the issue is) so I need a solution asap.

Last edited:

jm31828

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington
I went with the 2020 SE and love it. At least I have a phone I like that will last a good while! Who knows what they'll do with SEs in the future but we'll see.

How are you liking your SE now that you are several months in with it? Any complaints about battery life, or perhaps the camera?
I have a regular 11- got it because I knew the PWM of the 11Pro would bother me, and it has been a good phone. However I really don't like the big size or faceID, so I keep wondering if the SE would be a good move.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.