Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GlenK

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
St. Augustine, FL
How are you liking your SE now that you are several months in with it? Any complaints about battery life, or perhaps the camera?
I have a regular 11- got it because I knew the PWM of the 11Pro would bother me, and it has been a good phone. However I really don't like the big size or faceID, so I keep wondering if the SE would be a good move.

No complaints at all! Love this phone and specially the size. The battery life is not great but in my case it's not an issue since I'm retired. It took a few weeks to get used to the size reduction (went from 8+) but now when I pick up the 8+ or my wife's 11 Pro it feels like a brick! Can't imagine going back to a big phone again.

iApple_man

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2015
Midwest
Just an update. I have been using my 11 Pro since I got it on release day. I’m back from my opthamologist visit with an excellent bill of health. This is even with me using Face ID, which I do find makes my eyes feel dry if I have to use it a lot for authenticating my log ins.

Nevertheless, the doctor felt the Face ID beams were safe and didn’t find any damage during the exam. PWM on this model has not been an issue for me, which is also the case for my Note 10+. However if I switch back and forth between the two displays several times in a day my eyes feel a little strained. But I’m not getting headaches.

My migraine reactions to the the previous iPhone OLED displays I tried were bad enough I had to stop using them.

I know not everyone can use the newest OLED displays even now. It’s definitely an individual issue. And sometimes I do wonder if some iPhones have more even, less aggravating displays than another iPhone of the same model. I know from reading the rest of the forum and from comparing OLED phones with my husband that variances among OLED displays do exist.

I think I got lucky with my particular 11 Pro’s display.

Your response is correct. I was able to use the 11Pro myself. Prior, the iPhone X, XS and XS Max I couldn’t. The X made me choose the XR at that time and in between, I would use the Pixel 4XL or a S10 Plus, yeah I like switching at times, but stopped that because I like being on 1 platform but I wanted to experience the OLED and I was ok ?.

Anyways, the 11 pro worked out for me and there was no instant headache etc. 11 Pro Max either, I just decided on the pro for size.

With that, I do like the 6.1 size and the 12’s all have OLEDs so I was happy to upgrade to the 12. It’s been close to 48hrs and no eye strain/headache effect.

I have until the 3rd but it’s like I feel like I’m looking for it and I don’t want to do that to myself because I’m enjoying the 12.

Health is always important and if it comes down to it, I will just go with the 11. I like the 6.1 size and yes the 11 pro is nice w/oled but I like the extra 3 inches of screen.

Thanks for reading and thanks for your follow-up.

Are you upgrading to the 12/12pro?

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Your response is correct. I was able to use the 11Pro myself. Prior, the iPhone X, XS and XS Max I couldn’t. The X made me choose the XR at that time and in between, I would use the Pixel 4XL or a S10 Plus, yeah I like switching at times, but stopped that because I like being on 1 platform but I wanted to experience the OLED and I was ok 👍.

Anyways, the 11 pro worked out for me and there was no instant headache etc. 11 Pro Max either, I just decided on the pro for size.

With that, I do like the 6.1 size and the 12’s all have OLEDs so I was happy to upgrade to the 12. It’s been close to 48hrs and no eye strain/headache effect.

I have until the 3rd but it’s like I feel like I’m looking for it and I don’t want to do that to myself because I’m enjoying the 12.

Health is always important and if it comes down to it, I will just go with the 11. I like the 6.1 size and yes the 11 pro is nice w/oled but I like the extra 3 inches of screen.

I’m glad so far things are good with your 12.

I have the 12 Pro. So far it seems pretty good in terms of not giving me a major migraine. I do have some eye strain but I’ve kind of been glued to the screen, lol. Our weather has been terrible so I can’t get out and take pictures or do anything, really that I’m used to doing this time of year.

I like that Apple allows us to set the screen adjust the color temperature and white point and brightness levels. My only beef is that adjusting these things is spread across different places in settings and not simply categorized under a simple display category. I’ve had to dig into accessibility for a couple of tweaks.

Reactions: iApple_man

TexRunner

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2020
Your response is correct. I was able to use the 11Pro myself. Prior, the iPhone X, XS and XS Max I couldn’t. The X made me choose the XR at that time and in between, I would use the Pixel 4XL or a S10 Plus, yeah I like switching at times, but stopped that because I like being on 1 platform but I wanted to experience the OLED and I was ok ?.

Coming from the xs, I purchased the 12 (non-pro) and immediately had the adjust the white point settings. Do you have the regular 12 or the 12 pro? Really liking the design of the 12’s but will have to trade out for an 11 if I can’t find something that works without the headaches.

iApple_man

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2015
Midwest
Coming from the xs, I purchased the 12 (non-pro) and immediately had the adjust the white point settings. Do you have the regular 12 or the 12 pro? Really liking the design of the 12’s but will have to trade out for an 11 if I can’t find something that works without the headaches.

I have the 12. I believe the pros camera is the only thing different.

Ironically I was just looking at my options like exchanging a few moments ago and it would be for the 11 as well.

I never knew about the white settings and learned of that today. That’s like real dark when it’s on. Not sure if I want to do that.

Last edited:

iApple_man

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2015
Midwest
I’m glad so far things are good with your 12.

I have the 12 Pro. So far it seems pretty good in terms of not giving me a major migraine. I do have some eye strain but I’ve kind of been glued to the screen, lol. Our weather has been terrible so I can’t get out and take pictures or do anything, really that I’m used to doing this time of year.

I like that Apple allows us to set the screen adjust the color temperature and white point and brightness levels. My only beef is that adjusting these things is spread across different places in settings and not simply categorized under a simple display category. I’ve had to dig into accessibility for a couple of tweaks.

Thank you. It’s good to know your doing good too with the 12. I just learned of the reduce white point today. I feel if I have to do all that, then I don’t need the oled iPhone, but I’m not that stubborn to not try it but I guess that would be at night. The screen is too dark but I have it set at 95% lol. Might try 85%.

Either way, I think I’m ok, I just need to make sure I’m not creating anxiety with this because with the X, I knew right away, with the 12, no headaches/eyestrains.

Thanks for the response.

RD207

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2018
Minnesota
Maybe the shortcut button will help... once I found the right % I set my side button to quick launch the accessibility options for white point reduction... just a 3x click to toggle it on/off.

Since a few are giving good reports on the 12, maybe I will try it with the 14 day trial and if a no-go get an 11 with a few updated features over my XR.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Thank you. It’s good to know your doing good too with the 12. I just learned of the reduce white point today. I feel if I have to do all that, then I don’t need the oled iPhone, but I’m not that stubborn to not try it but I guess that would be at night. The screen is too dark but I have it set at 95% lol. Might try 85%.

Either way, I think I’m ok, I just need to make sure I’m not creating anxiety with this because with the X, I knew right away, with the 12, no headaches/eyestrains.

Thanks for the response.
Sometimes I want a bright screen but find the white part too glaring so I find it useful to lower the white point.

The thing is, my eyes are comfortable with different settings at different times. So it’s nice to be able to adjust different aspects depending on what I need at the moment. Sometimes my needs change depending on the lighting in my environment or if my eyes are strained from watching tv or playing on my Nintendo Switch.

RD207

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2018
Minnesota
Same, I adjust brightness depending on environment.

I ordered the 12 today in black.
Usually I go for product red, but this new one is not red... I’m glad I got to see it in person at the store. I would not even call it a shade of red TBH, its more like a shiny non-metallic coral/salmon or pink citrus like the new case color... a nice color for sure though not “red”. I’ll opt for a red case if I keep it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.