Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zea

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2014
Yup, during the transfer it asks if you’d like to transfer the watch over too:

“If you have an Apple Watch and you're setting up a new iPhone, you'll be asked if you'd like to transfer your Apple Watch data and settings. “

Is it still best to unpair watch, backup to iCloud, and then restore everything to the new phone and pair the watch back? Can you do this going from 12.4 to iOS 13? (I don’t plan on updating my iPhone to iOS on 13 since my new phone will get here Friday.)

Reactions: AppleWes

Azathoth123

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2018
Fountain City
There have been some rumors that they released iOS 13 before it was fully baked in order to get the maximum amount of hardware into the country before tariffs take effect. Reportedly the OS is the last thing before boxing and shipping. There is some substantiation in the release of iOS 13.1 beta before the release of iOS 13. If true, I can cut them some slack for a few bugs in iOS 13, especially since it isn’t entirely unheard of for a point 0 release to have a few bugs anyway.

Reactions: aFlockaCgulz

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Is it still best to unpair watch, backup to iCloud, and then restore everything to the new phone and pair the watch back? Can you do this going from 12.4 to iOS 13? (I don’t plan on updating my iPhone to iOS on 13 since my new phone will get here Friday.)

Myself, this Friday I’m going to test out the new direct transfer method.

But, still definitely a good option to unpair watch, backup to iCloud, and then restore to the new phone and pair the watch back. And yup, can do it from 12.4 to 13.0.

Packers1958

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2017
South Dakota
Keep you old usb cables, especially if you have car play that requires a usb connection! The new cable included will not work without spending more money for an adaptor.

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
There’s an excellent reason - battery longevity. If you only charged overnight, why charge faster than necessary?
BS. Samsung has offered the ability to turn off fast charge for years. OnePlus utilizes dash charge, which keeps the heat in the charging brick and out of the phone. Apple could do something like that, but they make more money upselling you on a fast charging brick and cable. Don't be fooled.

redRAYZA

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2007
I love this shot from the Verge review...

7250B344-5270-440D-8309-F8F398CE1A89.gif

coney718

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2014
Interesting that some of the reviews say that even though the Pro models are great the iPhone 11 is the one they would recommend to most people. I have a XS Max and wont be upgrading but if I did it would be a Product (RED) 11

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Interesting. I've been running iOS 13 for a while. The first few betas were buggy as expected but ever since beta 5 its been great for me.

I can only suspect its one of two things

1- some aren't as observant as others when it comes to this sort of thing
2- there are new hardware specific software bugs tied with iOS 13. wouldn't be the first time new hardware is buggier than its predecessor on the same version

Reactions: coney718

tripleburst

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2018
Interesting that some of the reviews say that even though the Pro models are great the iPhone 11 is the one they would recommend to most people. I have a XS Max and wont be upgrading but if I did it would be a Product (RED) 11

This is what I did. 64GB XS Max to a 256GB Product Red. I needed the storage for video and editing. 5G will have to wait until 2021. It's an upgrade in every aspect except the screen.

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
I watched a few of these. I’m surprised most don’t discuss the 11 screen vs the Pro screens in more detail. They mention it in passing like it’s not a big deal. But it’s the thing we all stare at most every day!

unchecked

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2008
I watched a few of these. I’m surprised most don’t discuss the 11 screen vs the Pro screens in more detail. They mention it in passing like it’s not a big deal. But it’s the thing we all stare at most every day!

I think one review mentioned you’ll look at one or the other and not both at the same time, so you won’t notice the difference.

Reactions: THE JUICEMAN

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I think one review mentioned you’ll look at one or the other and not both at the same time, so you won’t notice the difference.
It really depends on the person. My wife doesn't notice the difference. I certainly do, and it bugs me. I could get used to the XR/11, but it's definitely a half-step down.

eulslix

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2016
It really depends on the person. My wife doesn't notice the difference. I certainly do, and it bugs me. I could get used to the XR/11, but it's definitely a half-step down.

Yeah, tomsguide actually mentioned the difference is huge to him, even in non-HDR while being outside. Some of the other reviewers don’t see much of a difference however. Seems pretty individual all in all. Guess everybody with a “trained” eye will enjoy the new displays.

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007

Yeah, tomsguide actually mentioned the difference is huge to him, even in non-HDR while being outside. Some of the other reviewers don’t see much of a difference however. Seems pretty individual all in all. Guess everybody with a “trained” eye will enjoy the new displays.

Great points. When I looked at the XR last year I had been using the X for a year and I was comparing them side by side. And it is definitely up to the individual if they can see a difference or care at all even if they do see it. Makes sense why the reviews would be this way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.