Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sparkie1984

macrumors 68030
Dec 20, 2009
a small village near London
Personally I think this country is a totally lawless dump at the moment. Hate the place and if I could I’d be out of here like a shot.

Anyway....

do we have Costs yet on the uk iUP? Not sure what to do with regards to upgrading.. why on earth can’t we apply online for it in advance like they can in America?

Reactions: jonnyb

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
It is rather complicated, on paper it makes sense, pound is down etc.

But living here, it's ridiculous. I can see the sales taking a huge hit this year.

Damon2

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2016
It was eye watering last year.

Whats new? You're telling me it was okay last year when you were paying £60+ for just the phone excluding your sim package?

skillwill

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 12, 2008
It was eye watering last year.

Whats new? You're telling me it was okay last year when you were paying £60+ for just the phone excluding your sim package?

But last year, at least the $999 phone was £999. This year, the $999 is £1,049. The $699 phone is £729. Despite the exchange rate being $1=£0.80.

Last year was annoying, this year is ridiculous.

TorontoSS

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
But last year, at least the $999 phone was £999. This year, the $999 is £1,049. The $699 phone is £729. Despite the exchange rate being $1=£0.80.

Last year was annoying, this year is ridiculous.

This year things are different. There's talk of not just a hard Brexit but a no deal. A no deal would mean the pound goes even lower. Given Boris and co. WANT a no deal, I don't see how Apple couldn't increase prices. And trust me I'm not happy. But that's what it is. You can't expect the same price as last year when the climate is much more different.

Expect many other products to get more expensive too not just Apple ones.
I remember after the EU referendum, I was looking at a pair of Bose headphones that were £289. It increased to £329 shortly after. Expect more of this.
[doublepost=1568193988][/doublepost]
The danger of that is that consumers stop spending which is what happened in 2008/09.
agree that's a danger. but it's not apple's job to prop up the UK economy. but you're right and it's what may happen and that's why there's a fear of recession!

balaplus

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2017
This year things are different. There's talk of not just a hard Brexit but a no deal. A no deal would mean the pound goes even lower.
That is what they want you to believe.... but it is not as if their price is set in stone for the whole year!
They can and will change the price if the pound crashes to parity or below!!

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
agree that's a danger. but it's not apple's job to prop up the UK economy. but you're right and it's what may happen and that's why there's a fear of recession!
I agree it’s not their job but they ultimately lose out as a result of controlling a price increase. The £999 XS was already the least popular iPhone on the British market and pushing the cost up further this year simply makes the iPhone 11 Pro even more undesirable. The real test will be if the iPhone 11 is less appealing than the popular XR this year.

The UK used to be Apples biggest European market but I have a feeling that is no longer the case. I personally won’t be absorbing price increases and especially if older models are more cost effective with the capability of having similar features etc.

Reactions: Hustler1337

dtdt123

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2015
I believe that tax is different in each US state so the US price quoted is before tax.
The U.K. price includes VAT.

Azathoth123

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2018
Fountain City
Are the US prices including taxes? If not it’s hardly a direct comparison.

No, US prices don’t include taxes. Figure on about +10% in round numbers. When you raise US by 8-10% and factor in a weak £, there you go. When I went to Europe in 1995 the € was about 0.7$. Now a euro is 1.1 US. That’s quite a difference.

So the difference maybe isn’t as large as it might seem. The weak currency hurts when buying foreign goods, but that’s largely a policy issue and not something Apple can, or should try to offset.

tomjleeds

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2004
Manchester, UK
That is what they want you to believe.... but it is not as if their price is set in stone for the whole year!
They can and will change the price if the pound crashes to parity or below!!

Thread started about monthly payments on (effectively) credit agreement. If the value of the agreement tanks because the currency tanks, Apple loses out.

Regarding general pricing, seems about normal given the well discussed weak pound.

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
US pricing is for 24 months. UK is 20 months

which is terrible for anyone that upgrades. 24 months means you're spreading payments out more (less per month), if you upgrade after 11 payments you've basically paid half, and if you complete the 24 payments its just in time for a new phone. Also no upfront payment in US

in the UK
- £69 upfront (even for the lower priced 11)
- only 20 payments so each month is more expensive
- you still upgrade after 11 payments - you've paid 60% of the overall price of the phone+applecare

so overall we pay more upfront, and pay a higher proportion of the phone during the first year - so upgraders are much worse off than in the US

kendo88

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
Coventry
which is terrible for anyone that upgrades. 24 months means you're spreading payments out more (less per month), if you upgrade after 11 payments you've basically paid half, and if you complete the 24 payments its just in time for a new phone. Also no upfront payment in US

in the UK
- £69 upfront (even for the lower priced 11)
- only 20 payments so each month is more expensive
- you still upgrade after 11 payments - you've paid 60% of the overall price of the phone+applecare

so overall we pay more upfront, and pay a higher proportion of the phone during the first year - so upgraders are much worse off than in the US

Absolutely. I completely agree, much worse deal for 1 year upgrades

But in this case, I was just answering the question about the monthly cost differences.

Reactions: mrklaw

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
No, US prices don’t include taxes. Figure on about +10% in round numbers. When you raise US by 8-10% and factor in a weak £, there you go. When I went to Europe in 1995 the € was about 0.7$. Now a euro is 1.1 US. That’s quite a difference.

So the difference maybe isn’t as large as it might seem. The weak currency hurts when buying foreign goods, but that’s largely a policy issue and not something Apple can, or should try to offset.
Apple should not take the US price and apply UK VAT + hedging.

The base they should use if the US price MINUS TARIFFS.

Last edited:

Azathoth123

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2018
Fountain City
Oops, you are right, that was a later trip, but that was the exchange rate. Long time ago!
[doublepost=1568296577][/doublepost]
Apple should not take the US price and apply UK VAT + hedging.

They base they should use if the US price MINUS TARIFFS.

Tariffs are not currently included and may not be, the US prices for the 11 Pros are the same as the X, XS. The 11 is cheaper and includes an added camera. And they absolutely should apply VAT where it applies, otherwise Apple is paying your taxes! maybe you can get Apple to pay the VAT on your other purchases too? Neither Apple nor you have a say in VAT.

They can’t list a ‘tax included’ price in the US because the rate varies from state to state, but again 10% in round numbers is not quite what EU VAT is, but it’s in the same ballpark.

Last edited:

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
I normally only buy full price iPhones and take SIM only contract. I made an exception when i got the iPhone 8 on a sweet deal from O2 which expires in October 2019. I intent to keep my existing iPhone 8 and move to a SIM only 1 year contract from EE which from my experience in the areas in which i use the phone is the best carrier by far. As much as i loved the deal i got from O2 quite honestly the coverage left a lot to be desired.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Tariffs are not currently included and may not be, the US prices for the 11 Pros are the same as the X, XS. The 11 is cheaper and includes an added camera.
Since when published US prices do not include tariffs? What they do not include is sales tax.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
The prices have not gone up over the X, XS so they can’t include tariffs. You can check that, so the prices do not include tariffs, which have been delayed to 12/15 I believe.
What it means is that the actual price of the iPhone has been lowered.

So Europeans are picking up the tab.

leoshaun

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2019
Welcome to the UK we accept everything these days thank God our sim only contracts plans are getting cheaper.

I always purchase my phone sim free and use my £7 600 minutes ayce data sim plan from 3uk.
[doublepost=1568145823][/doublepost].

where the hell did you get that deal from? Is it an old plan that has just rolled over?
Im £15 a month for 30GB data with three which i thought was decent.

Reactions: Openworld1234
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.